Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I didn't realize it was THIS grim for the NL Central

quote:

I defined a “major addition” as an MLB free agent contract of any value or any trade acquisition with at least one day of MLB service time. As of this writing, here is a comprehensive list of every major addition within the NL Central this offseason. (2020 fWAR in parentheses)

Brewers:

Signed Daniel Robertson (0.2 WAR)
Signed Luke Maile (missed season with finger injury; -0.3 WAR in 2019)
Cardinals:

None
Cubs:

Acquired Zach Davies (1.4 WAR)
Signed Jonathan Holder (-0.1 WAR)
Pirates:

Acquired Wil Crowe (-0.5 WAR)
Reds:

Signed Edgar Ernesto Garcia (-0.4 WAR)
Acquired Art Warren (0.1 WAR)
Acquired Scott Heineman (-0.4 WAR)
Acquired Noé Ramirez (0.1 WAR)
Acquired Jeff Hoffman (0.1 WAR)
Acquired Brandon Bailey (0.0 WAR)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well good on Cohen I guess

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

This division is up in the air and nobody wants it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

On the contrary it looks to me like the Reds want it. Look at all those major acquisitions! Plus they refused to give Castillo up for peanuts.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Yeah I read somewhere that the entire NLC has spent less than a million dollars in free agency

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Good on the Mets for promptly firing Porter, I’m sure we’re all in agreement you can’t have someone who abuses power like that in such a position.

As for who knew what when - the reporting makes clear he targeted someone isolated, who he knew was unlikely to speak up. Perfectly believable to me he kept this entirely under wraps until she agreed to let ESPN run the story. Other information could surface of course

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

On the contrary it looks to me like the Reds want it. Look at all those major acquisitions! Plus they refused to give Castillo up for peanuts.

I don't agree that a trade centered around Frazier is peanuts.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I like Clint Frazier but he isn’t in the same universe of value as Castillo.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Even if you think Jon Lester is cooked, and I do, there are worse uses of 5 million bucks when you simply need 3-4 more human bodies capable of starting games this year. Add to that the whole “Best FA in Cubs history” that didn’t get a goodbye thanks to the rona, a fig leaf for the Ricketts clan’s desire to tank, or at the very least a veteran you might be able to flip at the deadline- which is what I thought tanks were looking for yet...

Tom Ricketts posted:

I would always take Jed’s recommendation on what to do with what happens on the field, but I don’t think anybody’s tearing anything down.

Gordon Wittenmyer posted:

The mandate from ownership and the business side wouldn’t allow Hoyer to make an offer. And even when the Nationals offer came in, and Lester gave the Cubs a chance to counter, the Cubs were “not close” to the Nats — perhaps as low as $2 million.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
well obviously Castillo can't be anything like as good as Frazier because he plays in red and white not in pinstripes

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

I like Clint Frazier but he isn’t in the same universe of value as Castillo.

I really like Clint Frazier, I think he will be a good player for a while, I think the Yanks jerked him around a bit, I want him to do well, and boy howdy I would trade him in a heartbeat for Castillo.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man if the Jays don't sign Springer this offseason will be such a loving joke. On me, for being a jackass and believing their "aggressive" talk.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Even if you think Jon Lester is cooked, and I do, there are worse uses of 5 million bucks when you simply need 3-4 more human bodies capable of starting games this year. Add to that the whole “Best FA in Cubs history” that didn’t get a goodbye thanks to the rona, a fig leaf for the Ricketts clan’s desire to tank, or at the very least a veteran you might be able to flip at the deadline- which is what I thought tanks were looking for yet...

Yeah Lester was not only willing to re-sign with Chicago for a massive discount, he gave the Cubs not one but two chances to go "hey if you counter with an offer even remotely close I'll stay with you guys" and they couldn't manage it because even after moving Darvish's salary apparently $4M is just too much to spend. :lol::lol::lol:

Lester is almost certainly cooked but we need loving starters, Jon is a Cubs legend at this point, and we're loving tanking anyway so why not soak up some easy fan good will and throw a pittance at Lester to keep him around?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Castillo is only 2 years older than Frazier and both his floor and his ceiling are way higher than Frazier's

only the homeriest of Yankee fans would call that trade anything but a slam-dunk

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Fangraphs writeup of the Musgrove trade from Ben Clemens.

I think it was a poor decision to move him when there’s like two teams trying. The prospects coming back are somewhat interesting but not really my type. I wish the Jays had been willing to part with Manoah (I have no idea whether this was requested or anything, but that I thought a Manoah+ a throw-in was plausible based on the interested teams).

So it goes.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Hi, I'm Nick Mullen, the new Mets GM. AMA.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Twitter is a disease.

https://twitter.com/StevenACohen2/status/1351562323782234114?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Julio Cruz posted:

Castillo is only 2 years older than Frazier and both his floor and his ceiling are way higher than Frazier's

only the homeriest of Yankee fans would call that trade anything but a slam-dunk

Fraizer got regular play for the first time last year and had a 900 OPS with league avg defense. That is pretty good. Not sure why people are undervaluing him. I would trade him for Castillo because the Yankees need pitching but he's a starting corner outfielder on a good team for a long time going forward.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I feel like Frazier getting regular play for the first time last season (39 games btw) is part of the problem here. For one reason or another, the Yankees haven't used him on a regular basis but the one time they do and he posts a 149 ops+ that somehow makes him as valuable as Castillo?

I'd really like for the Angels to trade for Luis Castillo but I don't think Jared Walsh is remotely close enough to get it done

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 19, 2021

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wow Frazier might be an overpay. Might get it done with just Miguel Andujar. He can play 3rd!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Johnny Bravo posted:

I feel like Frazier getting regular play for the first time last season (39 games btw) is part of the problem here. For one reason or another, the Yankees haven't used him on a regular basis but the one time they do and he posts a 149 ops+ that somehow makes him as valuable as Castillo?

I'd really like for the Angels to trade for Luis Castillo but I don't think Jared Walsh is remotely close enough to get it done

He was a defensive liability blocked by a plus defender in Gardner and they needed to get Stanton in the lineup. He's legitimately improved in the field.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 19, 2021

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/kavithadavidson/status/1351636714700345347

Good job everyone!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I haven't been keeping up with the offseason too much this time, but now I see it looks like the Padres are definitely in the Not loving Around Crew. I wonder how they will do?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
am I right in thinking that Joey Lucchesi used to be a pretty highly-regarded prospect?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Don Sutton died last night, this past year or so really taking a toll on living Hall of Famers

https://twitter.com/lifeisgreatsut/status/1351640873377779715

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Julio Cruz posted:

am I right in thinking that Joey Lucchesi used to be a pretty highly-regarded prospect?

he was a padres top 10 prospect back in 2017 in the general sense of "4 reasonably good pitches, almost certainly going to stay a starter, probably never going to be better than a 3/4 unless his fastball really improves (it didn't).

He was a lot more exciting as a college kid with a fastball that "touches 96" than a pro with a fastball that's about 90 on a good day tbh.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Mike_V posted:

Personally very excited for two consecutive seasons of pretending that baseball was cancelled.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Very glad that the lesson we learned from being swept by the Marlins was "We need to be more like the Marlins" and not "Maybe we should be better than the Marlins"

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

Don Sutton died last night, this past year or so really taking a toll on living Hall of Famers

https://twitter.com/lifeisgreatsut/status/1351640873377779715

Sutton never played for the Braves but after Skip Caray he's the voice I associate with them from his decade at TBS, and then another decade in the radio booth. He was never an icon or anything, but he was pretty dependable and until the last couple years he didn't let the stupid opinions about training and longevity (and...other things) that he developed over a playing career of ridiculous good fortune with injuries get in the way of talking through the game in front of him.

Honestly not surprised that he wound down this quickly, he'd had quite a cancer scare previously and he sounded like poo poo the few games that he did in 2018. When he broke his leg back in 2019 it seems like his body pretty much shut up shop.

Thanks for the memories, Don.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:mets: :mets: :mets:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

Sutton never played for the Braves but after Skip Caray he's the voice I associate with them from his decade at TBS, and then another decade in the radio booth. He was never an icon or anything, but he was pretty dependable and until the last couple years he didn't let the stupid opinions about training and longevity (and...other things) that he developed over a playing career of ridiculous good fortune with injuries get in the way of talking through the game in front of him.

Honestly not surprised that he wound down this quickly, he'd had quite a cancer scare previously and he sounded like poo poo the few games that he did in 2018. When he broke his leg back in 2019 it seems like his body pretty much shut up shop.

Thanks for the memories, Don.
He was remarkably durable. We'll never see a pitcher like him again.

https://twitter.com/grantmcauley/status/1351655204991725569

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/HannahRKeyser/status/1351642801482702851
My brain made weird angry noises when I read this.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1351658074474491904

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
2021 Kirby Yates and Tyler Chatwood? Slow down, Jays. Leave some good free agents for everyone else.

E: this may look foolish if what is posted after me is actually true.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 20, 2021

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
None of the big guys have it yet, but...

https://twitter.com/RadioVendetta/status/1351707636367056899?s=19

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

WE HAVE AN OUTFIELDER WHO CAN PLAY!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What is actually involved in an athlete's physical? I know when I get one it always feels like a waste of time but I'd assume they would be more involved for players.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Good for Springer. The Man in White will help Springer keep his productivity level I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shiroc posted:

What is actually involved in an athlete's physical? I know when I get one it always feels like a waste of time but I'd assume they would be more involved for players.

Comprehensive blood tests, checks on heart functions, stress test, metabolic functions like liver and kidneys, basic stretching / range of motion stuff, turn your head and cough while the doc looks at your balls. Relatively simple stuff.