Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

mllaneza posted:

Aussie goods should see if there's a Popeye's in their area, they're better than KFC ever was.

I was quite disappointed when I visited the US, considering how much competition there is for fast food, thinking surely they’d be better. But no. The McDonalds was better because they weren’t trying to be fancy, but every chicken place was way below what I’d been expecting to compare to. I mean, Chik-fil-a was fine; a 6/10, but not worth the bigotry.

...oh, and a small Coke. Should I drive through now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Captain Monkey posted:

Those potatoes are about on par with eating a cup of pure cheddar cheese (~430 calories).

So why would I ever eat potatoes when this is an option?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Len posted:

The best was the chicken select strip. The minimum order was three pieces and the chart would tell you to only make two. And that math doesn’t work because if someone is already going to wait almost 8 minutes just make the whole thing to order.
Whatever happened to those? I was always surprised McDonald's didn't have proper chicken tenders, just nuggets, and then I tried them and they were serviceably good, and now they're gone again. Did they not sell?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Whatever happened to those? I was always surprised McDonald's didn't have proper chicken tenders, just nuggets, and then I tried them and they were serviceably good, and now they're gone again. Did they not sell?

They didn't when I worked there. They brought back chicken strips a year or two ago but they could be gone again? They were real solid when fresh, but since they were expensive it was common for them to sit and just have the timer get reset instead of them being tossed

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're currently gone. I'm sure they'll come back again at some point.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Micky D's is apparently adding more chicken sandwiches, one of which is a blatant copy of Chick-fil-A, which is probably a great marketing move.

quote:

On Monday, the company announced three versions of a new chicken sandwich, which will be available nationally on February 24: The Crispy Chicken Sandwich, topped with pickles and served on a potato roll, the Spicy Chicken Sandwich, which adds a spicy pepper sauce, and the Deluxe Chicken Sandwich, which comes with lettuce, tomatoes and mayo. McDonald's told investors in November to expect a new chicken sandwich this year.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/04/business/mcdonalds-new-chicken-sandwiches/index.html

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

Micky D's is apparently adding more chicken sandwiches, one of which is a blatant copy of Chick-fil-A, which is probably a great marketing move.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/04/business/mcdonalds-new-chicken-sandwiches/index.html

It’s basically the Southern style sandwich that they did temporarily like a decade ago. But the chicken sandwich wars in full throttle right now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wendy's is doing ads preemptively declaring victory.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Antitonic posted:

I was quite disappointed when I visited the US, considering how much competition there is for fast food, thinking surely they’d be better. But no. The McDonalds was better because they weren’t trying to be fancy, but every chicken place was way below what I’d been expecting to compare to. I mean, Chik-fil-a was fine; a 6/10, but not worth the bigotry.

...oh, and a small Coke. Should I drive through now?

I walked into a White Castle in Fairview, NJ (I'm from the UK) expecting solid comfort food. Maybe with hints of touching irony, but a dependable product.

I couldn't finish it. I also felt very unsafe. Compare it to the random independent pupuseria I stumbled into while drunk in the middle of the Pico Union in LA at like half midnight and there was no contest.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Memento posted:

Uhh, butter is 1627 calories per cup, which means the 1/3 of a cup that's butter is 542~ calories by itself. Lard is 1845 calories per cup. A cup of 2:1 potatoes:butter is over 600 calories.

I got all these from nutritionix, which seems to have the US format of nutrition facts.

If you google the things that’s what it says. Yours sounds more official but also worse for you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They tried a spicy chicken back in 2006ish to try and fight Wendy's. It didn't work then either

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CJacobs posted:

Your microwave could make a better sausage and egg McMuffin then McDonald's.

You underestimate my terrible cooking skills.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're currently gone. I'm sure they'll come back again at some point.
The chicken tenders were one of the menu items that disappeared at the start of COVID as part of the pandemic menu streamlining. I'm not sure how many of the removed items were actual supply chain streamlining and how many were more just them seeing an opportunity to cut some underperformers. I think almost every other fast food restaurant has gone back to their full menu by now, which leads me to think the latter.

Except for Taco Bell, whose menu is just a sad echo of what it was a year ago. Bring back the Mexican pizza and some form of chicken burrito you fucks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
TB is bringing back potatoes. No word on the SLB.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Knormal posted:

The chicken tenders were one of the menu items that disappeared at the start of COVID as part of the pandemic menu streamlining. I'm not sure how many of the removed items were actual supply chain streamlining and how many were more just them seeing an opportunity to cut some underperformers. I think almost every other fast food restaurant has gone back to their full menu by now, which leads me to think the latter.
That makes sense - both that it'd disappear as part of the pandemic and that if any chain was gonna aggressively keep things cut it'd be McD's. Say what you want, they're good at purging their own menu. (insert joke about bowels here)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s basically the Southern style sandwich that they did temporarily like a decade ago. But the chicken sandwich wars in full throttle right now.

The chicken sandwich wars are the dumbest thing and Popeye's sandwich ain't even that great. :colbert:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Vandar posted:

The chicken sandwich wars are the dumbest thing and Popeye's sandwich ain't even that great. :colbert:
The drive-thru line at Popeye's is so bad that my husband swore it off at least while COVID restrictions were in place. The last time we went, we ordered through the (lovely) app and waited in line for 45 minutes. We never even ordered the drat sandwich, just the fingers. That bun and pickle must be pretty loving fantastic for how crazy people go over those sandwiches. :iiam:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The one Popeye's sandwich I've had, the chicken itself was okay but the breading just tasted like a grease sponge. It reminded me of Long John Silver's, where pretty much everything just tastes like it was dunked in the same old oil vat. And it's weird, because their normal chicken is fine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Long John Silver's gives me the runs every loving time

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ordering seafood from a fast food chain is psychotic behavior. I don't understand how Long John Silver's exists.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1351565596740169729

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hirayuki posted:

That bun and pickle must be pretty loving fantastic for how crazy people go over those sandwiches. :iiam:

They're really not. Popeye's just had really strong marketing and people really wanted a substitute chicken sandwich they could eat without supporting Chick-fil-A, I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They both look like they’re in need of a good night’s sleep.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh well, back to the crack it is.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

NBC posted:

In his email to NBC News, Lindell said: "All the evidence against Dominion is before the Supreme Court. ... China and others used the machines to corrupt our election! Here is one page of the proof."

The email did not include an attachment. When asked if he had mistakenly omitted it, Lindell sent another email with an empty attachment and a third with screenshots of illegible text.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Has anyone made the "Mein Pillow" joke yet?

If not.

More like "Mein Pillow"!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

The one Popeye's sandwich I've had, the chicken itself was okay but the breading just tasted like a grease sponge. It reminded me of Long John Silver's, where pretty much everything just tastes like it was dunked in the same old oil vat. And it's weird, because their normal chicken is fine.

That likely means the oil wasn’t hot enough to immediately turn the water in the chicken/breading to steam, which acts as a natural barrier for the oil and keeps it from seeping into the food itself. This was likely either a fault of the management/cooking staff for that specific restaurant, not the sandwich itself. Not defending Popeyes, but it happens basically everywhere

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm disappointed Long John Silvers hasn't reinvented itself to serve the sexual orientations not chartered to by Hooters.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm disappointed Long John Silvers hasn't reinvented itself to serve the sexual orientations not chartered to by Hooters.

I want to start a chain restaurant called "Yardsticks" and have muscley men in daisy dukes and tool belts serve people. Also a mail themed bar called The Maleman.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Last time I had Long John Silvers was a few years ago and I got a really bad fever a few hours later and was out for the next day.

I'm pretty sure it was due to the water spigot I drank water after getting pretty dehydrated at the pool that day, but the ordeal was enough to put me off LJS forever.

The Popeye's Chicken sandwich is drat good. Not worth waiting longer than a few minutes in line though. I find it helps to just go anytime that isn't close to lunch or dinner times.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

1redflag posted:

That likely means the oil wasn’t hot enough to immediately turn the water in the chicken/breading to steam, which acts as a natural barrier for the oil and keeps it from seeping into the food itself. This was likely either a fault of the management/cooking staff for that specific restaurant, not the sandwich itself. Not defending Popeyes, but it happens basically everywhere

Good to know, it was just a random location rather than the one I liked that I used to live by, so that makes sense.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
When the Popeyes sandwich first dropped it took me three days to get my hands on one. And you know what? It deserved the hype; best god damned chicken sandwich I've ever had in my life (the spicy version, didn't try the regular)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I've Never Had Popeyes

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Good to know, it was just a random location rather than the one I liked that I used to live by, so that makes sense.

It honestly stinks because it usually happens during a rush because they throw a ton of cold product into the fryer all at one time, which causes the oil temp to drop faster than it’s supposed to under normal conditions, which leads to everyone getting an oil-soaked deep-fried whatever. So it can happen anywhere at basically anytime if the manager/cooks aren’t on the ball.

E. “sir, this is a Popeyes”

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

knife_of_justice posted:

I walked into a White Castle in Fairview, NJ (I'm from the UK) expecting solid comfort food. Maybe with hints of touching irony, but a dependable product.

I couldn't finish it. I also felt very unsafe. Compare it to the random independent pupuseria I stumbled into while drunk in the middle of the Pico Union in LA at like half midnight and there was no contest.

White castle is ancient, the burgers were made to be sold for a dime in the 20s and best I know (i.e. not at all) they haven't changed; they're not exactly like any other food product.

They do however have the best extruded chicken product of any fast food place (yes, the chicken rings) and give benefits to their employees.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1redflag posted:

It honestly stinks because it usually happens during a rush because they throw a ton of cold product into the fryer all at one time, which causes the oil temp to drop faster than it’s supposed to under normal conditions, which leads to everyone getting an oil-soaked deep-fried whatever. So it can happen anywhere at basically anytime if the manager/cooks aren’t on the ball.

E. “sir, this is a Popeyes”

I had a manager whose idea of helping during a rush was to leave the office and drop 4 baskets of fries at the same time and then go back into the office. it didn't work well

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Captain D's is way, way better than long john silver's if you have the option and the craving for fast food fish

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Captain D's is way, way better than long john silver's if you have the option and the craving for fast food fish

Another good name for a restaurant with near-naked male waiters

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I know y'all are talking food right now, but back up a second.

The My Pillow guy is a crackhead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Leavemywife posted:

I know y'all are talking food right now, but back up a second.

The My Pillow guy is a crackhead?

Famously so. Part of his spiel is that he was so bad his dealers held an intervention for him.