Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That's interesting, I saw it as an evolution of her look (along with the shorter hair) rather than an artstyle shift. I quite like it.

I love Mikasa's pixie cut hair styling. Re: evolution of her look, I felt the same. Figured she just like grew out of putting on lip gloss and liner lol. Ain't got time for that anymore. That said, if Eren didn't name drop her, or she wasn't wearing the scarf, I would've only known it was her based on context or once she started talking, similar to Sasha I guess. Lot of faceblindness in the art imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

teagone posted:

I love Mikasa's pixie cut hair styling. Re: evolution of her look, I felt the same. Figured she just like grew out of putting on lip gloss and liner lol. Ain't got time for that anymore. That said, if Eren didn't name drop her, or she wasn't wearing the scarf, I would've only known it was her based on context or once she started talking, similar to Sasha I guess. Lot of faceblindness in the art imo.

I like Mikasa's new look, and it definitely took me a second to recognize her. But, I don't know how people didn't notice Sasha. She's the only one with that kind of hair cut.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I posted earlier about how in the first chapter of the manga Eren wakes from his dream and asks Mikasa why her hair was so long... and he was crying... so this isn't going to end well

drat the writer had it so much figured out from day one. It's incredible.

I also spent hours today curating the best of soundtrack with all the opening and ending themes, and it's too long to fit onto a MiniDisc. It'll have to be a double album! Also really come round on the opening for season 4: it's not only odd but it's a banger.

Edit: please post your favorite tracks, I have the standards like Call Your Name, YouSeeBigGirl, Attack on Titan, Barricades

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 20, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schubalts posted:

Titans are light/solar-powered to a point. "Wild" titans become sluggish and inactive when in darkness, and Annie's reaction to the tunnel trap way back at the start showed that shifters are also at least partially vulnerable when cut off.

Add in specific things like size or ability complexity, and you can see repeated transforming wear the person down, even in daylight.

Annie was not afraid to go into the Tunnel cause it was dark, but because she would not have any room to transform.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean the Warhammer Titan was apparently OP enough to beat the Founding Titan, the literal "i control other Titans" trump card of the entire setup, it had to be able to do something wild enough for that to be plausible
Willy stated that was a lie. His family worked with the King so he could run off to the Island.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AlternateNu posted:

I like Mikasa's new look, and it definitely took me a second to recognize her. But, I don't know how people didn't notice Sasha. She's the only one with that kind of hair cut.

Jean had pretty distinct hair too, but he also had a distinct face that seems to have gotten lost imo. I only guessed Sasha because of her hair too, since she sorta has generic anime face going on lol.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The sunlight rule seems to apply only to mindless, autonomous Titans. The ones that attacked Utgard Castle were compelled to move at night because Zeke was controlling them. Reiner and Ymir had a conversation later about the rest of the Titans in the forest being able to move at night, which Reiner denied. Ymir deduced that it had something to do with "that monkey".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the idea was those night titans were freshly made, so they started with a "full battery" and would be able to move until drained, at which point it would be back to solar panel rules

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

teagone posted:

Jean had pretty distinct hair too, but he also had a distinct face that seems to have gotten lost imo. I only guessed Sasha because of her hair too, since she sorta has generic anime face going on lol.

Gf identified Sasha immediately. Jean took til he was mentioned.

I picked out Connie.

Love how Mikasa and the rest of the crew looks. Grown up and real serious. Levi reveal was awesome.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Beefstew posted:

The sunlight rule seems to apply only to mindless, autonomous Titans. The ones that attacked Utgard Castle were compelled to move at night because Zeke was controlling them. Reiner and Ymir had a conversation later about the rest of the Titans in the forest being able to move at night, which Reiner denied. Ymir deduced that it had something to do with "that monkey".

Zeke's titans are able to operate at night, but only under moonlight.

Hange hypothesized that this is because the moon is ultimately reflected sunlight, and the scouts chose to undertake the operation to reclaim Wall Maria under the cover of a moonless night as a result.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

This season has imo finally clarified why Ymir went with them and ironically in hindsight makes her one of the most selfless characters in the show. If Reiner and Bert had returned in defeat having lost the Female and Jaw Titans and compromising the secrets of the outside world they almost certainly would have been replaced (eaten), possibly their entire families may have been purged and there may even have been other repercussions for the Eldian's.

Sure in hindsight it still would have been better for her to have stayed but it's also now possible to see why she made that decision and why she never considered Paradis had a chance of winning in the end.

She actually left after Eren showed the power of the Founding Titan, so she knew Paradis had a hole card, and that Historia had someone who could protect her. (And, judging by Eren not saying anything about finding out the secret of how he used the Founding Titan that we saw, Ymir's a pretty good judge of character on that point. Well, she's a pretty good judge of character in general, so that's no surprise.)

Going with Reiner and Bert was primarily about, well, protecting Reiner and Bert. Eating Marcel allowed her to have five years of happiness (and to meet the love of her life) at the cost of his life. Protecting Reiner and Bert and their families from the consequences of her actions was paying them back.

Much as she tried to hide it, Ymir was an incredibly selfless person. She could have had eight more good years with Historia, but instead she gave her life for people suffering like she had suffered, finally succeeding in saving someone (anyone) like she hadn't been able to when her cult was captured.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

chiasaur11 posted:

She actually left after Eren showed the power of the Founding Titan, so she knew Paradis had a hole card, and that Historia had someone who could protect her. (And, judging by Eren not saying anything about finding out the secret of how he used the Founding Titan that we saw, Ymir's a pretty good judge of character on that point. Well, she's a pretty good judge of character in general, so that's no surprise.)

Going with Reiner and Bert was primarily about, well, protecting Reiner and Bert. Eating Marcel allowed her to have five years of happiness (and to meet the love of her life) at the cost of his life. Protecting Reiner and Bert and their families from the consequences of her actions was paying them back.

Much as she tried to hide it, Ymir was an incredibly selfless person. She could have had eight more good years with Historia, but instead she gave her life for people suffering like she had suffered, finally succeeding in saving someone (anyone) like she hadn't been able to when her cult was captured.

Thank you for being the first person I've seen who understands Ymir's story. She lived a selfless lie, and was punished for it. When she got another chance she wanted to be true to herself and her desires, to look out only for herself. But she couldn't overcome her own nature, because she's fundamentally too good, able to sympathize with both the Paradis folks and the Warriors. She realizes that the true self she's trying to live is her selfless side, and the abrasive and selfish own was front she put on to avoid being hurt. And because of her capacity for sympathy and understanding, she takes the one course of action that, in her view, would save everyone - she would buy time for Eren and Historia to retreat, Bert and Ernie would avoid getting eaten by Titans, and she would be dragged back to Marley so they and their families wouldn't suffer, even knowing that it would all result in her death.
Ymir is a loving hero.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Thank you for being the first person I've seen who understands Ymir's story. She lived a selfless lie, and was punished for it. When she got another chance she wanted to be true to herself and her desires, to look out only for herself. But she couldn't overcome her own nature, because she's fundamentally too good, able to sympathize with both the Paradis folks and the Warriors. She realizes that the true self she's trying to live is her selfless side, and the abrasive and selfish own was front she put on to avoid being hurt. And because of her capacity for sympathy and understanding, she takes the one course of action that, in her view, would save everyone - she would buy time for Eren and Historia to retreat, Bert and Ernie would avoid getting eaten by Titans, and she would be dragged back to Marley so they and their families wouldn't suffer, even knowing that it would all result in her death.
Ymir is a loving hero.

I mean, that's part of why her romance with Historia works so well. They were both liars.

Ymir was the "bad girl", the snarky, selfish bitch who only cared about getting her angle. Meanwhile, Historia was the pasteboard saint, always self-sacrificing and good.

Only, no matter how she tried to hide it, Ymir was still the same person she'd always been. Even when she was picking on people, she was helping them (like when she mocked Connie so he wouldn't have to think about what happened to his family). By contrast, Historia, even when she was trying to give her life for others, was selfish. She just wanted to be freed from her burden, to make people love her so that no-one would know what she was really like. She'd be the good girl from the storybook.

...And Ymir saw the real her, and didn't abandon her. And that meant she saw the real Ymir. Hardly a wonder they fell for each other.

The dynamic didn't change to the end. Ymir left Historia out of pure, selfless love for others, self sacrificing to the end.

Which pissed Historia right off. Her dialog there foreshadowed her later decisions. gently caress the world, gently caress humanity, gently caress the Walls, they can all go to hell. What mattered was Ymir, and Historia'd stick with her no matter what... except that Ymir didn't let her.

(It's similar to her saving Eren later. She's the enemy of mankind, the worst girl in the world!)

It's not that Historia's a bad person. (I don't think Ymir would have fallen in love if she was.) If you look at what she does when her hand is freest, it speaks quite well of her, with her starting an orphanage to ensure that the children from the underground don't suffer like she did, that they'll always have someone to love them. It's just that she is, well, selfish. Unlike Ymir, who can sacrifice herself for an "enemy", Historia would let the world burn for one person she loves. (She's rather like Mikasa in that respect, now that I think of it.)

(Comparing to other manga, I think Ymir and Thors from Vinland Saga would get along very well, to the surprise of pretty much everyone who knew them. )

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Alan_Shore posted:

I posted earlier about how in the first chapter of the manga Eren wakes from his dream and asks Mikasa why her hair was so long... and he was crying... so this isn't going to end well

drat the writer had it so much figured out from day one. It's incredible.

I also spent hours today curating the best of soundtrack with all the opening and ending themes, and it's too long to fit onto a MiniDisc. It'll have to be a double album! Also really come round on the opening for season 4: it's not only odd but it's a banger.

Edit: please post your favorite tracks, I have the standards like Call Your Name, YouSeeBigGirl, Attack on Titan, Barricades

I couldn't help but notice your playlist lacked a certain dramatic weight to it. As a rabid twitter fan of AOT I've taken it upon myself to "fix" your playlist for you. If you try to change it my 500 followers will hound you off the internet. You're welcome :)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What is that music player?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lamebot posted:

I couldn't help but notice your playlist lacked a certain dramatic weight to it. As a rabid twitter fan of AOT I've taken it upon myself to "fix" your playlist for you. If you try to change it my 500 followers will hound you off the internet. You're welcome :)

Haha! That got a big lol from me

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What is that music player?

That's MusicBee, and it owns

And thanks for posting about Ymir, I finally understand now.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m5dDG2dkm7Y

God, these people are such morons...

You cannot "rotoscope" when your characters have to conform to specific proportions from a design sheet. At best what they're doing is what every Disney animator does, film reference and use that to figure out body mechanics. More likely though it's just that Mappa's animators are really good at natural movement. Animators like Bahi JD move characters like this all the time without any reference.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 21, 2021

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Tapet posted:

Imagine if you would start to watch AOT this season, never having seen anything before. Now imagine the scenes showing paradisers perspective was cut from the episode. I dare anyone to tell me that this wouldnt be almost as horrific as the beginning of the show. Two of the kids we have gotten to know over these episodes, snuffed out just like that. An attack by an overwhelming force, seemingly almost unstoppable when the episode credits rolled. Villains indeed, Eren, villains indeed.

No loving way, dude, that's just getting got by fascism. If you confine your view only to the Marlean perspective then you still see that it's a rampaging totalitarian apartheid state that exploits a scapegoat caste to front all the human costs of a social order that implements their own genocide. Marley fields suicide bombers, human war material, and child soldiers as a matter of course. They hard-cap the dignities of even those among the oppressed who show the greatest valor and loyalty. And then Reiner, sitting with his family and free to give as biased of a view as he'd like, tries to open his mouth to give us some kind of moral warrant for laying waste to the society of the Walls and the best he can come up with is that a girl stole a loving potato.

No, I think if the Marlean perspective is all that you've got, then you can find Eren bursting through a pile of collateral damage to be quite distressing, but if you're at all adjusted to the lessons of history then you should immediately perceive that the innocence and human value which should be the very treasure and justification for a civilization's existence is, here, maintained exclusively as the hostage of a society that needs to be torn down to the loving cinderblocks and completely renovated.

One of the things that really gets me in the earlier seasons is the frustration of an enemy that you can't even begin to bargain with because you aren't allowed to know why they want what they want. "Why the gently caress are you doing this?" The Titans are human enough to provoke the question, but they can't speak. Annie can speak but she refuses to communicate. Reiner and company communicate but they only use the opportunity to tell the scouts to go gently caress themselves and die. "Why the gently caress are you doing this??" Nobody watching from even an exclusively Marlean perspective needs to ask Eren that. Excellent reasons have been on full display for every single minute of the time we've spent here.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I hope Eren stomps Marley into the loving ground.

Read volume 2 last night and there's so much double speak between Reiner and Annie, it's great. Multiple times on the surface you think they're talking about the horrific situation they're in, but they're really talking about their mission. It's fantastic writing.

Also lots of themes established which I think are important in this season, from when Eren saved Mikasa. "Live, if you live you can fight." And "This world is cruel, and beautiful " is especially important, because to live in this world sometimes you have to be cruel. You have to smash a building and bellyflop onto top brass

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Eikre posted:

And then Reiner, sitting with his family and free to give as biased of a view as he'd like, tries to open his mouth to give us some kind of moral warrant for laying waste to the society of the Walls and the best he can come up with is that a girl stole a loving potato.

I think you've misunderstood that scene with Reiner.

It's very clearly an attempt by him to humanise the Eldians to his family and change their thoughts without being caught directly saying it. It's why his mother shuts the window because she realises what he's trying to do and doesn't want to be overheard and also why Gabi immediately questions why he's making them sound so human.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Asuron posted:

It's very clearly an attempt by him to humanise the Eldians to his family and change their thoughts without being caught directly saying it. It's why his mother shuts the window because she realises what he's trying to do and doesn't want to be overheard and also why Gabi immediately questions why he's making them sound so human.

And he was also not fully cognisant of what he was doing as he's doing it, either. His headspace is a loving mess.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Marleyan treatment of Eldians is extremely bad, and I think in many ways the root cause of the conflict (it's both the reason why Grisha took the founding titan and the reason why Reiner felt compelled to execute his plan). But this war will mostly come down to two groups of Eldians fighting each other.

Conspiratiorist posted:

And he was also not fully cognisant of what he was doing as he's doing it, either. His headspace is a loving mess.
Yeah my impression of episode 4 is that he's desperately lying to himself and trying to avoid the obvious conclusion that what he did was monstrously wrong. I think that's also why he reprimanded someone for speaking out against Marleyans earlier in the series.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nah, he's fully aware he did something monstrous, the issue is that everyone treats him like a loving hero for it.

He got exactly what he wished for when he pushed Annie and Berthold to continue with the mission: everyone respects him. Despite taking full responsibility for the operation's failure he wasn't condemned due to the sudden outbreak of the MEA war, where his suicidal stalwartness on the battlefield was then taken for unparalleled loyalty and gallantry, and all his signs of PTSD are treated as an obvious consequence of having spent years surviving in an island of devils.

And he can't explain these things to anyone, because to do so would put both Reiner, his family, and his would-be confidant in jeopardy.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 22, 2021

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Exactly, that's what his whole conversation with Eren was addressing. He also tried to kill himself

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Marleyan treatment of Eldians is extremely bad, and I think in many ways the root cause of the conflict (it's both the reason why Grisha took the founding titan and the reason why Reiner felt compelled to execute his plan). But this war will mostly come down to two groups of Eldians fighting each other.

It’s worth noting that Udo says Marleys treatment of Eldian is relatively kind compared to other countries.

Which is some fuckin poo poo.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Eventually it's going to turn out that Eldians and their mutatable blood are just some kind of war experiment forced upon them by some other nation and Eren and Reiner will finally have a bro moment when they duo titan punch the leader in the face.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eikre posted:

No loving way, dude, that's just getting got by fascism. If you confine your view only to the Marlean perspective then you still see that it's a rampaging totalitarian apartheid state that exploits a scapegoat caste to front all the human costs of a social order that implements their own genocide.

It's worth noting that while Marley is indeed a warmongering fascist apertheid state:

A) It's getting better, as evidenced by the difference in treatment of Eldians compared to 15 years ago in Grisha's memories (likely in no small part to the efforts of the current generation of Tyburs).
B) Eldians apparently have it even worse off in other countries.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

It’s worth noting that Udo says Marleys treatment of Eldian is relatively kind compared to other countries.

Which is some fuckin poo poo.

I mean, Willy said that the Tyburs of the present are trying to make life better for Eldians, with a backhanded comment that implies this is a new development, and it seems to be true.

The most obvious point of comparison is the gate guards. In 817, the guards in charge of making sure Eldians didn't leave were Eren Kruger and Sergeant Major Gross. Kruger was an Eldian agent, but to secure his cover he had to send hundreds of his fellows to death or worse along the walls of Paradis, and Gross was even worse, murdering children for fun.

Meanwhile, their late, lamented modern counterparts are, from what we see of them, pretty decent guys. They treat Gabi and the other warrior candidates like people, joking with them, helping them, and even giving their lives to try and keep the kids safe.

If we assume that this is a wider pattern, than modern Marleyian Eldians have it... not remotely good, but not as terrible as it was. They can own property, have some legal rights, are given state educations, and are able to attain, with a lot of luck and massive sacrifice on the behalf of themselves or their families, some level of citizenship.

It's easy enough to imagine worse, with (for example) slavery being the default, or military service being mandatory, rather than "just" heavily encouraged.

It's deeply disturbing to think of Marley as the nation that's kindest to Eldians, but there's enough room to go down that you can kind of understand why people like Eren's grandparents and the Braun family think of Marley as a nation that's good to them, rather than them seeing things as they are.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I don't think Gross and Krueger were gate guards. They definitely weren't watching the gate when Grisha and Faye encountered them and I remember a different guard trying to stop the kids from leaving the ghetto.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume part of the reason other countries hate Eldians is because the Marleyans use them to do their dirty work.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't really like using the term "Eldian" is not a race, it simply means someone linked to Ymir via paths magic. It's not even genetic, it doesn't follow chromosomal inheritance, any child of an Eldian is an Eldian.

Non-noble Eldians, or descendants of Ymir, occupied a relatively privileged position in the Eldian Empire, able to live their lives far more freely at the expense of non-descendants of Ymir. And the cost of that was, they could, at any time for any reason, be compelled by their noble superiors to undergo ego death and be transformed into rampaging monsters that take the lives of everyone around them. So that aspect of the human condition hardly ever since the first Wall King started his project, the only difference is they are now also the new underclass. But that wasn't his concern, he considered everyone linked to Ymir tainted by their potential for titanification, and would happily see himself and all like him wiped out.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I think of Eldian as a nationality and being a subject of Ymir as an ethnicity, eg Mikasa is Eldian by virtue of being from within the walls but not a subject of Ymir.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Asuron posted:

I agree with you that he is, in some way, impelled to recognize the Wall Eldians' humanity, but in the conversation with his family it's not clear to me that he's deliberately making an implicit argument. It's not really even clear to me that he's completely conscious. But regardless of whether he's putting out feelers to see how his family reacts to double-plus ungood ideas, or if he's just sitting there with a thousand-yard stare and rambling in a failing attempt to articulate an answer to the question that's been haunting him, it remains true that he is the only Marlean champion who has gone among the Wall Eldians and seen for himself what they're like. So his failure to give adequate justification for their extermination is both authoritative and damning.

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's worth noting that while Marley is indeed a warmongering fascist apertheid state:

A) It's getting better, as evidenced by the difference in treatment of Eldians compared to 15 years ago in Grisha's memories (likely in no small part to the efforts of the current generation of Tyburs).
B) Eldians apparently have it even worse off in other countries.

Concerning point B: Yes, it seems that fascism has won everywhere on the mainland, and given Marley's international supremacy I would expect that it has been among their ideological exports. The extraordinary quality that sets Marley apart from its neighbors in its treatment of the Eldian diaspora, however, isn't moral character, it's the entirely cynical requirement to produce a new set of Eldians every generation who are sufficiently loyal and talented, to dependably power the Marlean military machine. If they don't maintain a certain minimum in that population and standard of living, then they invite the danger of a catastrophic upheaval. And so the absolute minimum is basically what they maintain.

Concerning point A: It is telling, then, that Wily's deems it necessary for his plans to culminate in an assassination-by-proxy of the entire regressive establishment. It's very nearly revolutionary. But his achievements are still limited by fascist values. The power vacuum he's hoping to create will merely be filled with a more moderate military leader, and the great peace he aspires to create will be justified with the only warrants that fascism has ever be capable of offering: Fear, hatred, and the violent extermination of an imagined enemy.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 22, 2021

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think we'll see more of the Asian lady who saved the kid when he spilt her wine. She knew what Willy was going to do by the looks of things. Who is she and how does she fit into things? Mikasa is the only Asian person in the walls, can't be a coincedence.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I think of Eldian as a nationality and being a subject of Ymir as an ethnicity, eg Mikasa is Eldian by virtue of being from within the walls but not a subject of Ymir.

The Ackermanns are explicitly subjects of Ymir, their superhuman abilities are derived by unknown means from the power of the titans.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

I think we'll see more of the Asian lady who saved the kid when he spilt her wine. She knew what Willy was going to do by the looks of things. Who is she and how does she fit into things? Mikasa is the only Asian person in the walls, can't be a coincedence.

Did anyone notice the symbol on the back of her clothes? It looked like three scimitars crossed to make a circle. I'm not sure if I've seen it elsewhere, but it seems like a purposeful inclusion.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Eikre posted:

Did anyone notice the symbol on the back of her clothes? It looked like three scimitars crossed to make a circle. I'm not sure if I've seen it elsewhere, but it seems like a purposeful inclusion.

Yeah, I noticed that. It doesn't resemble any crest I've seen before, but I believe I have a book on Japanese family crests so I might as well dig through that.

ETA: Apparently it was in one of the boxes of books that got swiped during a move.

ETA2: Looking at the screenshot, it's pretty clearly three katana laid out in an overlapping pattern. The pattern itself is pretty standard, but the use of swords instead of a nature motif or something more abstract is very strange and likely the part we're supposed to be noticing.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 22, 2021

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rewatch of episodes 31-37:
- I'm not sure how popular this opinion is, but I think the second season is far superior to the first. The pacing is tighter, there are stakes beyond being eaten, and the world gets fleshed out.
- History and Ymir always break my heart. I'm glad we got some posters who really understand the two of them, because between that and the rewatch I can follow everything they're doing in the last few episodes. My only lingering questios is why R&B think that Historia has value. Does any member pf an Eldian noble family have value? Are they suspicious that she could be royalty due to her family's ties to the church? Something else?
- Everything with Reiner and Bertholt has so much more meaning now. It's not just the strain of being undercover, it's having to cause a catastrophic number of deaths over and over again. I still wish we got more character development in Bertholt, but I'll take what we got.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dummies prefer the first season but season 2 is where I really locked in.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

The Ackermanns are explicitly subjects of Ymir, their superhuman abilities are derived by unknown means from the power of the titans.

I looked it up and yeah you’re right, I had it in my head they were originally a noble family fallen from grace.

Just pretend I used Mikasa’s mom as my original example :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I looked it up and yeah you’re right, I had it in my head they were originally a noble family fallen from grace.

I mean, they sort of were, so it's not like you were wrong. The Ackerman family was one of the noble families when the walls went up, but they and the Asian clan were hounded to near extinction when both groups refused to play ball with the King.

It's just, unlike the other noble families (all chosen, Ackermans included because they were immune to the Founder's mindwipes) they were also subjects of Ymir.