Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Goldskull posted:

The flat we lived in Highgate had a centralised boiler (which I think was under the park area inbetween blocks) for at least 2 blocks of flats, the maintenance thereof was contracted out by the council. I think we got up to something like 24 days over 4 years where there was either no hot water, or no water at all for everyone, often lasting 2-3 days at a time. You'd get a letter 3 days later from the contract company going 'LOL, soz you had to shower at work/couldn't wash anything etc', they were loving useless.
It's a good idea in theory, less so in practice.

Conversely - apart from the times they've hosed up the billing, which is a separate issue, and a few bits of planned maintenance - I've had literally zero downtime in the almost two decades that my estate has been serviced by a CHAP system, and I also pay basically nothing for all the hot water and central heating I can handle.

Your argument is basically "everyone should have a car because my local bus route is poo poo" - the problem isn't with the public transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Is there any profession other than policing where you can just ignore your work email for two weeks and get away with it? We've been waiting on the copper involved to get back with a date he's available for my dad's inquest for a fortnight now. We, people who are not professionally required to do so, got back within a few days. gently caress I thought those stupid cruel lazy fuckers so much.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've been complaining to the management company for my flat about it being a bit cool in winter since 2018. It turns out (as I thought) there has in fact been no heating from the central system for the whole 2.5 years we've been here. Luckily the building is well insulated and the neighbours have been keeping us warm.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I fact checked this using this website:

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/concert-map/the-who-bd6bd2a.html?tour=3d6b9ff

And no they didn't tour much in Europe before our entry into the EC (the name for the EU at that time).

But there again they don't tour Europe much anyways look at the list, but the increase in countries does line up with it becoming easier to move around Europe due to the EU's four freedoms.

loving boomers man, riddled with brain worms.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Is there any profession other than policing where you can just ignore your work email for two weeks and get away with it? We've been waiting on the copper involved to get back with a date he's available for my dad's inquest for a fortnight now. We, people who are not professionally required to do so, got back within a few days. gently caress I thought those stupid cruel lazy fuckers so much.

Publishing/journalism in my experience. I seem to be the only person in my entire field who makes an effort to respond to emails with any degree of urgency. Most of my colleagues seem to require at least three messages sent over the course of ten days to prod them into action.

The galling thing is that these same people frequently fill up my inbox with desperate pleas for me to send them images, proof something or even rattle out a quick 1500 words to fill a space 'and can you do that by close of play today coz it all needs to be at the printers by 6. Cheers :)' You fuckers! If I ignored my inbox for a week you'd be screwed. Where was this urgency when I asked you to send me archive copy for reprint three weeks ago - which you still haven't done...?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Conversely - apart from the times they've hosed up the billing, which is a separate issue, and a few bits of planned maintenance - I've had literally zero downtime in the almost two decades that my estate has been serviced by a CHAP system, and I also pay basically nothing for all the hot water and central heating I can handle.

Your argument is basically "everyone should have a car because my local bus route is poo poo" - the problem isn't with the public transport.

And yours is 'well mine works, why doesn't everyone elses?' It's just that my experience with such a thing was less than stellar. Especially when they'd do planned maintenance, always Friday-Sunday. I'm pretty sure a bit before we moved there was some community action getting underway for either getting compensation or a different contractor, because those guys did not give a gently caress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Dang ol' Europe man, it's like Sepp Blatter or like a dang ol' FIFA tour from Brussels man it don matter man it's not the old oldies all th' time man." - Brian Worms, Dad Rocker.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

Publishing/journalism in my experience. I seem to be the only person in my entire field who makes an effort to respond to emails with any degree of urgency. Most of my colleagues seem to require at least three messages sent over the course of ten days to prod them into action.

The galling thing is that these same people frequently fill up my inbox with desperate pleas for me to send them images, proof something or even rattle out a quick 1500 words to fill a space 'and can you do that by close of play today coz it all needs to be at the printers by 6. Cheers :)' You fuckers! If I ignored my inbox for a week you'd be screwed. Where was this urgency when I asked you to send me archive copy for reprint three weeks ago - which you still haven't done...?

Incredibly frustrating. I don't get how it isn't part of the daily routine to clear your inbox with at least a boilerplate reply. In the case of this copper we literally need to know if he isn't free in the next 3 months. It takes 30 loving seconds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

knox_harrington posted:

I've been complaining to the management company for my flat about it being a bit cool in winter since 2018. It turns out (as I thought) there has in fact been no heating from the central system for the whole 2.5 years we've been here. Luckily the building is well insulated and the neighbours have been keeping us warm.

We had a similar issue in our old managed flat. The heating system in the flat itself was doing nothing at all, but so much heat radiated from the corridors with communal heating that we only noticed when it got really cold.

When we asked them to fix it they took six months to get the heating working again. We complained and got nearly £1000 compensation and didn't bother mentioning that it was only a noticeable problem for one week in January. gently caress 'em.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Iron lung's are back baby. It's good again. Pfoouu (pump noise)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

knox_harrington posted:

You'd know that just by touching a radiator though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm glad they put kate hoey in it for the promo shot and that she looks very unhappy about it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Given my experiences with apartment management companies, I'd really not want to be dependent on them for my water supply.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You'd know that just by touching a radiator though

There aren't any. All underfloor innit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm glad they put kate hoey in it for the promo shot and that she looks very unhappy about it.
A switch that stops kate hoey talking was a prerequisite for the Brexit trade negotiations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Imagine needing to itch your face

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

knox_harrington posted:

There aren't any. All underfloor innit.

Ahhh poo poo, gotchya

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I only found out a couple of years ago that there's a Newcastle in the Midlands too

https://geotargit.com/called.php?qcity=Newcastle

quote:

Cities named Newcastle in United Kingdom.
Newcastle - Shropshire Where is Newcastle - Shropshire - United Kingdom (England)?
Newcastle - Newcastle upon Tyne Where is Newcastle - Newcastle upon Tyne - United Kingdom (England)?
Newcastle - Monmouthshire Where is Newcastle - Monmouthshire - United Kingdom (Wales)?
Newcastle - Down Where is Newcastle - Down - United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)?
Newcastle - Ards Where is Newcastle - Ards - United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)?

As a kid, I lived a couple of miles from the one in Monmouthshire. Unless you redefine the word "city" to mean "tiny hamlet of 1 farm, 3 houses and a post office/shop*" it ain't no city, bruv.

*might not be there anymore, not been there since about 1966.

Ed: I notice that Newcastle Under Lyme is missing from that list. Does that count?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 20, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
No Newcastles in Scotland, just old castles

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Goldskull posted:

The flat we lived in Highgate had a centralised boiler (which I think was under the park area inbetween blocks) for at least 2 blocks of flats, the maintenance thereof was contracted out by the council. I think we got up to something like 24 days over 4 years where there was either no hot water, or no water at all for everyone, often lasting 2-3 days at a time. You'd get a letter 3 days later from the contract company going 'LOL, soz you had to shower at work/couldn't wash anything etc', they were loving useless.
It's a good idea in theory, less so in practice.

the system would work if the people doing to contracts lived in those blocks i reckon

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
That's surprising. I'm from Ards and I only know of the one Newcastle in NI - the seaside one in south Down i mentioned yesterday https://goo.gl/maps/axVUwqPxYPpWDosM7 that one

that margate comment i made was possibly a bit harsh - looks like they've done it up a bit

they've put in shrubs and all geometric shapes there for people to look at https://goo.gl/maps/W1N8xFysEbX19w2L7

crispix fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 20, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

the system would work if the people doing to contracts lived in those blocks i reckon

That would be true of many things: if only MPs were required to use only public transport to get to Westminster, state schools, NHS services, a lot of things would be a lot better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

No Newcastles in Scotland, just old castles

Eilean Donan.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also sorry I was a prick earlier, Jaeluni, not doing a very good job of keeping a lid on that at the moment.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That would be true of many things: if only all people were required to use only public transport to get to Westminster, state schools, NHS services, a lot of things would be a lot better.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jedit posted:

Eilean Donan.

Something to do if you are ever stuck in Kyle of Lochalsh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been to Eilean Donan and it's very pretty.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Remember when he was going to forensically dismantle Boris's argument

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1351866194068992002?s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's all part of a long-term strategy, you'll all see!!!!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I've been to Eilean Donan and it's very pretty.

Oh, sure, I like Eilean Donan myself. But the original castle was destroyed in the early 18th century, and only rebuilt 100 years ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, a guy came back from the first world war I think and wanted a fancy place to live if I remember?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Also sorry I was a prick earlier, Jaeluni, not doing a very good job of keeping a lid on that at the moment.

It's ok. We all have our moments. I'm the queen of 'delete before posting' (on facebook mostly - the facebook equivalent of 'the portrait in the attic' of my unposted posts would not be very pretty! ).
(I read somewhere that fb manages somehow to look at your deleted before pressing 'send' posts.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 20, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

I've heard BBC newsreaders of late pronounce Newcastle* with the emphasis on new of late

I've seen 'New Castle Brown Ale' on American bar menus

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brewed in New Castle, Pennsylvania?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Brewed in New Castle, Pennsylvania?

If it was they're risking a SERIOUS lawsuit over their branding on the bottle.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lol I suggested this right at the very start of the pandemic, Nobel Prize please.

(As was pointed out to me at the time, that sort of ventilation might not actually be of any use because positive-pressure ventilation keeps the lungs open and exchanging gas, iron lungs are for people with otherwise-healthy lungs who are unable to breathe due to damage to or paralysis of the breathing muscles. However I assume we know a bit more now about how covid affects breathing so it's not impossible this might be helpful in some situations)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

Oh, sure, I like Eilean Donan myself. But the original castle was destroyed in the early 18th century, and only rebuilt 100 years ago.

This reminds me of Glasgow Uni's main building, which was built in the 1870s but is clearly pretending to be far older than it is.

(Fair play to the Victorian architect though, it is a beautiful piece of work)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tower Bridge syndrome, sometimes known as 'Gothic revival'.

If you're going to pretend to be old, at least go for Classical or Egyptian or just build a ziggurat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
who wants to see some great goon outrage over nothing

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/images/119759

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've not seen the specific people you're talking about, but your description of the type rings all too many bells and reminds me why I basically never drink in city centre pubs any more.

Ok good, glad I'm not inventing things. Shudder...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Umbridge? Who Rowling doesn't realise was just herself.

Nah, too outrageously cruel. It's more of a low-level unpleasantness.