Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

All you people who hate working from home, you must really really like your jobs and really hate your own free time.

I’ve enjoyed my work since I stopped doing the desk job thing in 2014, even if I’ve had jobs I’ve hated. But I really enjoy my free time and that’s why I like having a hard boundary between my work and my free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aramek posted:

I have never worked, and thus cannot conceive a job that you can do from home. Like, is it office work? Computer touching? Is your life like the Office Space movie? What are meetings like, what do they do, the movie made it seem like meetings didn't do anything.
I tutor highschool kids. The main difference is that now when they forget to bring something, they're at home so they can spend ten minutes looking for it and another ten working out how to email it to me, which means I no longer have to prepare a backup plan to do instead. Oh, and it takes way less time to get to work. I just have to move a table and set up my laptop.

I used to work in a call centre and occasionally had to attend meetings. I think they were supposed to give the impression that our input was valued and would be taken into consideration, but it wasn't and wouldn't. But you got paid to not work for a while, so that was a plus.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve enjoyed my work since I stopped doing the desk job thing in 2014, even if I’ve had jobs I’ve hated. But I really enjoy my free time and that’s why I like having a hard boundary between my work and my free time.

That explains it quite well and to be fair the longer this continues the more i understand it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JollyBoyJohn posted:

All you people who hate working from home, you must really really like your jobs and really hate your own free time.

My partner likes the social aspect of her job. When she works from home the only people she really interacts with are me and our daughter. It's fine for short periods but when she was doing wfh for months she hated it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe it is the difference between extroverted and introverted? I don't really want to interact with my colleagues much and don't do it when I'm at the office either. I am nice to them and don't shut them down when they try to talk about their weekend or whatever but I never try to extend any conversations. The only people I like to be with is my wife and the rest of my family. Everyone else is just white noise - so working from home for nearly a year now has been so good. Not having to take the subway anywhere either is so good. So much more freedom in a day and when there are lulls you can just shitpost or play a game or take a walk or whatever.

I dread the day when I have to be in the office 5 days a week again :negative:

Zzulu has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Jan 20, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its partly that because i dont like people but honestly not having to use a car is a bigger positive than all the other factors combined

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zzulu posted:

I dread the day when I have to be in the office 5 days a week again :negative:

I'm convinced if this happens we are going to see the biggest wave of mental health issues in modern society

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm convinced if this happens we are going to see the biggest wave of mental health issues in modern society

I don't know. The one we have right now from a plague causing people to isolate, lose their job, not be with dying loved ones, and not be able to effectively seek in person help seems worse.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

WFH must be nice for people with families to hold their hands through everything but I'm alone in a shoebox in the city, and it sucks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I worked from home for like five years and immediately after work finished I'd need to leave the house and do something. Once being at home started to feel like I was "still at work" I quit. I can't imagine what it's like for people right now where you're stuck at home 100% of the time.

I'll take the risk of infection just to keep my home feeling like my home.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, that's why I left my job in academia originally - any time felt like it could be work time and the attitude of "you'll fall behind if you don't work whenever possible" that got drilled into my head in grad school made it pretty much impossible to ever relax. So I quit and took this job, which was very nice to be able to not think about work any time I wasn't in the office...for like a year, and now here we are coming up on a full year of work from home in a month or two. It's nice in theory if you can mentally flip the switch between work time and free time, but it's a lot easier to say "even though it would be nice to get ahead on some of my work, I can't because my laptop is in the office" than having the temptation always there.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Shout out to all the engineers and academics itt that love their job so much they dont know what 5pm means to us normal under appreciated overworked underpaid plebs

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I do not prefer working from home. Welp thanks for reading my post.

No problem, thanks for posting.

Aramek posted:

I have never worked, and thus cannot conceive a job that you can do from home. Like, is it office work? Computer touching? Is your life like the Office Space movie? What are meetings like, what do they do, the movie made it seem like meetings didn't do anything.

A person who drives a tractor, and holds a shovel, I understand those.

I build and design online courses for the CPA exam and CPA continuing education.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I loved working from home at first.

Later I realized it was messing with my ability to relax at home. I found out I'm a guy who mentally relies on spaces for mental cues and it turns out the short commute home and plopping my rear end down in the living room was a ritual that got me out of work mode and into relax mode.

I don't like my home - which used to be the place I was free and didn't do a single thing I didn't want to do - being turned into my work place. I don't like someone being able to call/email me in my own home and tell me about a new responsibility.

PLUS it is really messing with coworkers' home/work schedule boundaries. Sending out a flagged email at 7 used to be unheard of but now it's just something people do and then bitch about if you didn't see it and respond.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Shout out to all the engineers and academics itt that love their job so much they dont know what 5pm means to us normal under appreciated overworked underpaid plebs

I mean, I’m neither an engineer nor an academic and still hated working from home. I switched to EMS in 2014 and EHS in 2018 and both those have been really enjoyable careers (even if EMS paid absolute poo poo)

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Is it okay to be overworked and underappreciated but well paid? Because that's where I'm going to have to aim and quite frankly I'm pretty okay with it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

fizzymercy posted:

Is it okay to be overworked and underappreciated but well paid? Because that's where I'm going to have to aim and quite frankly I'm pretty okay with it.

It is presumably better than being overworked and underappreciated and not well paid.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You seem to be missing the point that WFH isn't the solution to this for everyone.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Atticus_1354 posted:

You seem to be missing the point that WFH isn't the solution to this for everyone.

Well obviously, my wife is a mobile carer, my mum works in a care home, my best friend is a swimming teacher. Its pretty obvious when someones job is WFH compatible

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

If you're over-worked, you aren't well-paid despite what you personally might feel like.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Zzulu posted:

Maybe it is the difference between extroverted and introverted?

I am a very extroverted person.

Strategic Tea posted:

WFH must be nice for people with families to hold their hands through everything but I'm alone in a shoebox in the city, and it sucks.

I live in a 1br bachelorette pad with my cat, and yeah. The fact that I actually like my coworkers probably also makes things worse.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Working from home sounds like it sucks rear end. I enjoy separating work from home life and a separate space and a reasonable commute help with that.

I also feel like wfh would be less popular if office drones hadn’t already largely accepted that you still have to take work calls and emails outside of work hours.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I also feel like wfh would be less popular if office drones hadn’t already largely accepted that you still have to take work calls and emails outside of work hours.

Hot tip yeah don't do this, reply the next morning unless you're doing a tactical once a fortnight 'reply at 9PM, cc all' so everyone knows what a hard worker you are.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People who send work emails before 9 and after 5 are bad people

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
If you can't do your job during the allotted time that you are contracted to be there, maybe with agreed overtime on occasion, you must loving suck at it and be incompetent.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Nah you might just have a job where a lot is expected of you but then your wages should reflect that

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

JollyBoyJohn posted:

:emptyquote:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I agree, Europeans are terrible

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

but everyone says if you wanna make it you gotta hustle and when you get home from work you gotta do more work

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nah you might just have a job where a lot is expected of you but then your wages should reflect that

That's true, but I do enjoy teasing people who seem proud of working 14hr days for next to no benefit to themselves or whatever.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Once self-driving trucks are perfected, I think the US should nationalize the overground freight industry. Or at least offer the same service as a public non-profit entity, maybe as a part of the USPS.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Manager Hoyden posted:

Once self-driving trucks are perfected, I think the US should nationalize the overground freight industry. Or at least offer the same service as a public non-profit entity, maybe as a part of the USPS.

self-driving trucks will never be perfected. Within your lifetime you will not see self-driving automobiles that re better than the average human driver in real world conditions.

But I do hope self-driving trucks are forced on us anyway. Just because that would give rise to gangs who wait on highways in cell phone dead zones, and when a truck comes they run out and put a big black tarp on the ground to trick the truck into thinking the road has ended and then tear the thing open and steal all the cargo. And that would be cool.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

self-driving trucks will never be perfected. Within your lifetime you will not see self-driving automobiles that re better than the average human driver in real world conditions.

But I do hope self-driving trucks are forced on us anyway. Just because that would give rise to gangs who wait on highways in cell phone dead zones, and when a truck comes they run out and put a big black tarp on the ground to trick the truck into thinking the road has ended and then tear the thing open and steal all the cargo. And that would be cool.

Obviously that'll lead to Wells Fargo stagecoach levels of security where the truck will enter "self defense mode" and accelerate through anything and everything in its way until it makes it to the destination.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Solice Kirsk posted:

Obviously that'll lead to Wells Fargo stagecoach levels of security where the truck will enter "self defense mode" and accelerate through anything and everything in its way until it makes it to the destination.

that can easily be defeated with spike strips

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
now this is cyberpunk

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
How do automatically driven cars respond to mechanical failure?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

starkebn posted:

Immediate thermonuclear detonation.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Self-driving cars performed better than human drivers five years ago. People just clutch their pearls about weird edge cases like "what if the car has to choose between two people to hit" or "the cars can't prevent people from jumping in front of them to die" and ignore that human drivers are steamrolling people left and right not giving a gently caress.

Also fast and furious road heists would def be cool but on the outside chance you're not joking it is already easy for people to rob some schlub trucker. No need to wait for future computer hacking in dead zones or whatever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

starkebn posted:

They'll just call AAAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

Self-driving cars performed better than human drivers five years ago. People just clutch their pearls about weird edge cases like "what if the car has to choose between two people to hit" or "the cars can't prevent people from jumping in front of them to die" and ignore that human drivers are steamrolling people left and right not giving a gently caress.

Also fast and furious road heists would def be cool but on the outside chance you're not joking it is already easy for people to rob some schlub trucker. No need to wait for future computer hacking in dead zones or whatever.

https://twitter.com/Gossenphilosoph/status/884769533810143237