Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Well, I finished DRV3.

I'm still unhappy about Kaede. The second latest trial absolved Kaito's character in my eyes. It was obvious that until proven the person in the exisal could've been either one (or maybe no one) right after the first voice change. At first I thought it was dumb that Kaito supposedly followed a huge manual of exact lines provided by Kokichi but that actually makes surprisingly much sense if you compare what astronauts train and do. (I'm going to sidestep the entire ultimate fabrication conversation here). It felt like a bit of a shock that Monokuma wasn't even near omnipotence with how the trial was laid out.

I was pretty underwhelmed about the cast of characters this time around and it somehow was highlighted by Tsumugi cosplaying a bunch of them. Makes me want to buy the first game on Steam at some point and replay it since I never did so on PC, maybe in English this time around, mostly due to Junko having several VAs in the EN version. Overall I guess the novelty of the setting's "cutesy evil" and its world building making less and less sense over time made the game feel quite a bit of a slog after the first trial onwards. I didn't hate it but was quite underwhelmed.

I didn't feel any burning sensation of wanting to find around what was going around until the final trial or so. Whether you want to call the metanarrative an asspull or not, I think it was a fitting end to the series for now since the series' world building is a whole mess so I didn't see many ways out to have it make much sense. How some characters act, like the super obvious planned assault on Monokuma was beginning to be a little grating too. Tsumugi being the ultimate cosplayer Junko didn't fool me for a moment, though I did definitely forget the limit of her power being with fictional characters. I was also sceptical to the end and wondered whether the 4th wall breaking was just a ploy by Tsumugi, logic being if she's an ultimate cosplayer would she be able to pull off a reproduction of an entire setting and outside world and several characters at once. I was surprised they featured scenes from the anime, too. I definitely enjoyed "Junko's" cameo since I do really like her voice and design. The out of context cutscene with the mastermind in the secret room confused me a bit since it was in the guise of Junko but I guess Tsumugi's cosplay was never just strictly utilitarian either or required an audience.

Even though the final trial could definitely be called a huge asspull the lieinception or whatever you want to call it made the situation feel more emotionally relevant and made the game hit similar "ridiculous anime heights" how the first one felt ages ago. It made it actually somewhat easier to hold my suspension of disbelief, focus on the mind bending situation and the character reactions instead of thinking how ridiculous the setting and world building is in the series by now since trying to critique the plausibility was for naught at that point. Definitely enjoy the "fever dream" aspects of the finale of the game, haven't had similar experiences with any narrative since experiencing Catherine/original DR into the wee hours of the morning.

edit:Definitely felt vindicated about the retrial of the first trial since I considered the probability of the murder working out as it originally supposedly did hilariously unlikely

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The second to last trial is one of those cases where even though the solution is obvious, it's fun to see how they get there (just by the metafictional rules of mystery stories the fact that Kaito appears to be the victim makes it basically impossible for him to actually be dead, and once you figure he's alive, there's really only one possible trial solution. Also the "script" thing was stupid but it was justified just to have Ouma "participate" in another trial, purely for entertainment purposes)

Also much like how the dumber bits of DR2's ending are papered over by the whole emotional level of it, a ton of the logical issues of V3's ending get papered over by how completely Shuichi's VO nails that final monologue where he takes over from K1B0 again. Other than Hajime nailing Mikan in the third DR2 trial, I think that's the most furious I've heard a DR protag get.

also yeah I had the exact same reaction to the weird murder plot of the first trial actually failing as you did, lol

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I tend to connect on the emotinal level in these games rather than the logical one (though the puzzles are also fun!) But the sheer vindication of demanding the retrial of the first case pumped me up for a week.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Emotional connection with the characters was a problem I actually had with the last game which I thought about. I don't remember if I had any more with the previous installments but somehow I felt rather disconnected from the protagonist and their connections with the rest of the cast. Or caring about the cast in the first place. Perhaps the relative short amount of dialogue for each character compared to traditional VNs is a factor? There's no organic way to do it but I almost wish any of the games had some sort of stronger connection with one character or a few that actually would somehow manifest within trial minigame mechanics as well, maybe? Maybe it later turns out they are actually sabotaging you and are one or few of the antagonists? Include some sort of bittersweet change of heart or/and redemption arc, too?

Basically writing lovely fanfic here. I just didn't feel much of a connection with any of the characters in the final game and feel the game could do more to make the player sympathize with the other characters. I haven't really had this problem with majority of VNs I play so it's not like I'm some monster lacking sympathy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I picked up 1&2 on the PSN sale over the weekend and like what I've seen so far. I'm typically not a VN person but I'm not necessarily opposed to them if the story/presentation hold my interest. Anything I should know going into the series, specifically 1? Is this the kind of game with a lot of replay value and different routes or is it more linear?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's linear. technically there's *some* replay/NG+ in picking different characters to hang out with but those just give you funny segments/backstory for different characters, and doesn't affect the story (and after the game ends you get a mode where you can pretty much just play through the hangout segments you missed anyway)

if you want a "before you play", i'd say generally pick one or two characters to hang out with until you max them out, as you get bonuses for completing more of their segments.

also *be careful* of gift guides because many of them indirectly spoil parts of the game.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 19, 2021

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to check what a skill does after you get one? I got one from Sayaka and see it on her report card but I don't know what it does. Also I assume skill points get introduced later? I've earned a few but don't know what to do with them yet

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So Akudama Drive had me coming back to Dangan Ronpa. Just finished up 2 and taking a break debating on whether I should watch 3 for completions sake since I never did.

2's English dub is pretty good. Gundham is all ham and it owns and Nagito is just incredible.

I would also like to put it out there that Chapter 3 in 2 is the worst in the series while Chapter 5 is the best.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually love the weirdo atmosphere of 2-3 lol

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Deified Data posted:

Is there a way to check what a skill does after you get one? I got one from Sayaka and see it on her report card but I don't know what it does. Also I assume skill points get introduced later? I've earned a few but don't know what to do with them yet

You should have a chance to equip skills on the 'trial preparation' screen that appears before each trial, at which point you'll be able to check what your skills do; I think the option is called 'set skills'. The number of skill points you have is basically your skill capacity; each skill costs a certain number of skill points to equip. (You can freely unequip them and reallocate your skills; you're not permanently spending your skill points.)

Enjoy the games! They're good fun.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Electric Phantasm posted:

So Akudama Drive had me coming back to Dangan Ronpa. Just finished up 2 and taking a break debating on whether I should watch 3 for completions sake since I never did.

2's English dub is pretty good. Gundham is all ham and it owns and Nagito is just incredible.

I would also like to put it out there that Chapter 3 in 2 is the worst in the series while Chapter 5 is the best.

I personally think 1-2 is the trial thats ages most badly, but thats just the trial rather than the chapter.

Mainly 2-3 bums me out because the victim was my fave character

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How can anyone argue that 2-4 isn't the worst

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I love 2-4... the section where you change perspectives is so good and the trial is actually like hard. DR2 has a lot of sections where the perpetrator reveals themselves midway through the trial and 2-4's was fun (and I don't even like Gundham).

I also like 1-2 a lot still, it's a really upsetting death but the trial has so much going on between Byakuya being an idiot, Jack coming out, Kiyotaka losing his mind at the end, and it being the second trial ever.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 20, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
2-4 is really bad but 2-2 will forever earn my ire for 'gravel in a swimsuit', on an argument that everyone even agrees isn't even vital to the case.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cmon that one is a mystery story staple! Along with getting stabbed with an icicle!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

No Wave posted:

I love 2-4... the section where you change perspectives is so good and the trial is actually like hard. DR2 has a lot of sections where the perpetrator reveals themselves midway through the trial and 2-4's was fun (and I don't even like Gundham).

I also like 1-2 a lot still, it's a really upsetting death but the trial has so much going on between Byakuya being an idiot, Jack coming out, Tadokoro losing his mind at the end, and it being the second trial ever.

This is what mostly saved 2-4 for me.

Trial Spoilers: I just wish they went all the way and had Nagito present the closing arguments, the fakeout was so good, they had the music and everything

2-4 has the same problem as 2-3 where they don't bother explaining why. No one ask why did they did this and Monokuma doesn't give out any details either. It doesn't help that I don't like the motives in either chapter.

ApplesandOranges posted:

2-4 is really bad but 2-2 will forever earn my ire for 'gravel in a swimsuit', on an argument that everyone even agrees isn't even vital to the case.

I struggled so hard on this even though I knew answer already.

"Wait which statement do I shoot with which bullet to even get that answer?" :negative:

I can't imagine figuring that out blind.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This is what mostly saved 2-4 for me.

Trial Spoilers: I just wish they went all the way and had Nagito present the closing arguments, the fakeout was so good, they had the music and everything

2-4 has the same problem as 2-3 where they don't bother explaining why. No one ask why did they did this and Monokuma doesn't give out any details either. It doesn't help that I don't like the motives in either chapter.
It's true that there should have been more of an explanation. My understanding is Gundham did it because he figured they'd starve to death in Strawberry Tower otherwise so he decided to kill the guy who was already dead. It's a really rough way to treat Nekomaru after all he went through and I don't really agree with his deciding Nekomaru's life was worth less, so maybe more charitably he chose Nekomaru because he figured Nekomaru would be the most willing to sacrifice himself one way or another (which is what he meant by the honorable duel... which it wasn't).

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

I struggled so hard on this even though I knew answer already.

"Wait which statement do I shoot with which bullet to even get that answer?" :negative:

I can't imagine figuring that out blind.

I don't remember having any difficulty with that, nor with meat on the bone in 2-1.

Overall I don't remember there being any trials in the series I thought were particularly bad, as long as you ignore Hangman's Gambits? When I didn't like a chapter it was usually because of some issue with the chapter's investigation or non-case story rather than the case itself, which was usually fairly interesting even in the ones that were obvious.

No Wave posted:

It's true that there should have been more of an explanation. My understanding is Gundham did it because he figured they'd starve to death in Strawberry Tower otherwise so he decided to kill the guy who was already dead. It's a really rough way to treat Nekomaru after all he went through and I don't really agree with his deciding Nekomaru's life was worth less, so maybe more charitably he chose Nekomaru because he figured Nekomaru would be the most willing to sacrifice himself one way or another (which is what he meant by the honorable duel... which it wasn't).

2-4 spoilers I don't think it's unreasonable to take Gundham at his implied word, since we're not really given any strong arguments for any other explanation. He and Nekomaru were both willing to sacrifice the two of them to save the others, and they were both very competitive so Gundham had them fight to see who would go first. If Nekomaru had won - honestly the more likely outcome - he would have probably admitted it and skipped the class trial, but Gundham's pride wouldn't allow him to do that so he added elaborate smoke and mirrors to challenge the others. Would Gundham have allowed the other students to pick the wrong answer in the class trial? We have no way of knowing, but I'd say probably not.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

2-4 spoilers I don't think it's unreasonable to take Gundham at his implied word, since we're not really given any strong arguments for any other explanation. He and Nekomaru were both willing to sacrifice the two of them to save the others, and they were both very competitive so Gundham had them fight to see who would go first. If Nekomaru had won - honestly the more likely outcome - he would have probably admitted it and skipped the class trial, but Gundham's pride wouldn't allow him to do that so he added elaborate smoke and mirrors to challenge the others. Would Gundham have allowed the other students to pick the wrong answer in the class trial? We have no way of knowing, but I'd say probably not.
I wasn't clear, I meant it wasn't a fair fight because the hamsters flipped Mechamaru's switch off. I do think it happened as you described.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that's his superpower! totally fair game, might as well complain that you're fighting The Flash and he starts running fast

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I don't remember disliking 2-4 particularly.

I actually like that it doesn't say Gundham's motives and what exactly he would do. I wish Danganronpa would more often let players come to conclusions themselves rather than spell every last detail out.

Honestly, looking back on least favorite cases, it would be 1-1, 2-2, and 3-4 for being boring (generally feeling way ahead of the characters and the mysteries not being that interesting).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NRVNQSR posted:

I don't remember having any difficulty with that, nor with meat on the bone in 2-1.

Overall I don't remember there being any trials in the series I thought were particularly bad, as long as you ignore Hangman's Gambits? When I didn't like a chapter it was usually because of some issue with the chapter's investigation or non-case story rather than the case itself, which was usually fairly interesting even in the ones that were obvious.

My problem in 2-1 was I kept reading "on" as "in" probably brought on by trying to adjust to the new PTA mechanics and the perceived time limit in putting together the final answer

Also fair points on 2-4 everyone.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
3-4 is also bad because it's the first trial without Miu's comments.

2-5 is probably my favourite, but 1-4 is also great and 2-3 has a fantastic villain breakdown. 3-2 I also have a weird soft spot for because the execution is one of the best and the only reason really why the culprit should have gotten caught is because Rule of Solvable Crime.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
2-4 was the only place I had to look up help because I just could not figure out the octagon's location on the picture. I struggled with the final death room too.

But I did enjoy it, I really liked the atmosphere with how gloomy it gets and how you even start moving slowly during free-time events, it really got you in the mood of how increasingly desperate things were getting.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
2-4 bothered me. I know changing the rules makes the mystery more complex, but the whole funhouse was such a weird unreal location. I couldn't take anything happening there seriously.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's kind of why I liked it, 2-3 onward is just a ramping up of the unreality levels of the whole game until the final chapter

Also I love really dry, "mechanical" mysteries so having a mystery be based on the layout of a building was really, really my thing.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MegaZeroX posted:

I don't remember disliking 2-4 particularly.

I actually like that it doesn't say Gundham's motives and what exactly he would do. I wish Danganronpa would more often let players come to conclusions themselves rather than spell every last detail out.

Honestly, looking back on least favorite cases, it would be 1-1, 2-2, and 3-4 for being boring (generally feeling way ahead of the characters and the mysteries not being that interesting).

Big same to the spoiler block. I like to think that Gundham putting on the big show of trying to conceal his crime was partly from his own love of drama, and partly to keep Monokuma appeased. Gundham wouldn't know how things went down with Sakura and her swapped-out note, but I think anyone in the killing game could intuitively guess that Monokuma would NOT be happy with his trials becoming useless due to the killer just outright confessing. Or it could also have been an attempt to convince the others that yes, he really was an evil villain, (or perhaps just amoral, playing by the laws of nature and survival, kill or be killed) so they did not need to mourn him. Leaving all this up to our own interpretations to weigh in our heads is really fun, I just love the ambiguity of Gundham's character so much.

For case 1-1, I agree about being so frustratingly ahead of the mystery, but the end of the case and the execution bump it way up for me. Leon was the only one who became a culprit without fully understanding the rules of the trial (or that there would even be a trial!) so his reaction to finally being voted was unique, and no other execution in the game has ever felt that visceral.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I also felt that 1-1 was the only execution sequence that hit the mark for me. Everything else was too wacky to really feel impactful, but 1-1 was an execution you could theoretically do for real which made it so much more gruesome.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I finally finished 3 a few weeks ago and I think my favourite character in the whole series might be

Kokichi. I spent the whole game thinking "God drat it you little poo poo" in the best possible way, and then by the end he's totally adorable and sympathetic. so good.

though I thought, early on, I was really smart. I thought it would eventually be revealed that his talent was that he's the Ultimate Liar. I mean it seemed so perfect but then it doesn't happen.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

I finally finished 3 a few weeks ago and I think my favourite character in the whole series might be

Kokichi. I spent the whole game thinking "God drat it you little poo poo" in the best possible way, and then by the end he's totally adorable and sympathetic. so good.

though I thought, early on, I was really smart. I thought it would eventually be revealed that his talent was that he's the Ultimate Liar. I mean it seemed so perfect but then it doesn't happen.

Yeah it felt like it was even telegraphed that he'd be revealed as the Ultimate Liar. Could've probably sprinkled in plot how his some sort of lieinception saved the others and how his talent basically forces him to lie or something. I felt like it was a bit of a missed mark.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

I also felt that 1-1 was the only execution sequence that hit the mark for me. Everything else was too wacky to really feel impactful, but 1-1 was an execution you could theoretically do for real which made it so much more gruesome.

I'll always remember watching 1-1's execution. It seemed far too real compared to the others.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Re that guy, Yeah Kokichi is basically the writers spectacularly redeeming themselves for Celeste in DR1, who also tried to be all aloof and inscrutable and had a black and white aesthetic and was supposedly the "queen of liars", except it turned out she was all front even when she actually was the ultimate gambler, and when she actually played her hand it was completely transparent, and it kind of had some thematic weight as she tried to keep the facade going but it just wasn't very satisfying. Kokichi on the other hand is conspicuously the polar opposite of that; he also has a black and white aesthetic but it's all shabby and low-key instead of intricate gothic poo poo, and ultimate lying wasn't even actually his designated talent it was just a thing he invented because he was so good at lying that he could just do that, and he pulled off a Komaeda-grade scheme that had everybody completely fooled and managed to actually get one over on the showrunners, and managed to loving posthumously lie about being loving alive, motherfu-

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I just finished 2 last night. I don't think I had a trial that I disliked but the mini games can die in a fire, especially later on.

The only issue I had with 2-4 was I figured it out before the trial began because I remembered the deluxe rooms were soundproof so Gundham hearing the alarm was a dead giveaway.

I feel like the other trials were less obvious, like I'd have a few suspects or something wasn't adding up but that one was dead to rights.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fedule posted:

Re that guy, Yeah Kokichi is basically the writers spectacularly redeeming themselves for Celeste in DR1, who also tried to be all aloof and inscrutable and had a black and white aesthetic and was supposedly the "queen of liars", except it turned out she was all front even when she actually was the ultimate gambler, and when she actually played her hand it was completely transparent, and it kind of had some thematic weight as she tried to keep the facade going but it just wasn't very satisfying. Kokichi on the other hand is conspicuously the polar opposite of that; he also has a black and white aesthetic but it's all shabby and low-key instead of intricate gothic poo poo, and ultimate lying wasn't even actually his designated talent it was just a thing he invented because he was so good at lying that he could just do that, and he pulled off a Komaeda-grade scheme that had everybody completely fooled and managed to actually get one over on the showrunners, and managed to loving posthumously lie about being loving alive, motherfu-
Kind of. He figures almost everything out (he actually notices that the monopad has a different color scheme in trial 1 but holds his tongue at the last second) but ultimately plays the producers' game and ends up making good television. In that sense, he loses pretty badly - he tries to beat the game when beating the game just makes it stronger. Shuichi actually defeats the show by making it unfun to watch.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The 1-1 execution is definitely by far the most brutal. It may be a hangover from the darker and more serious tone the first draft of DR had.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the 3-1 execution gives 1-1 a run for its money. It's definitely one of the more visceral ones, and it's helped by the victim being the character that was you for the last few hours.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
3-1's still makes me uneasy. It's the most unfair death in the game and the writers knew exactly what they were doing when later chapters double down on that.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I respect it but I still hate it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
When you guys refer to, say "3-1", what do the numbers denote for a thread newbie? Game -> chapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

When you guys refer to, say "3-1", what do the numbers denote for a thread newbie? Game -> chapter?

Yeah, third game, first case.