Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what happens if you don't come down hard on turrets the first time they show up, you end up with the whole building covered in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Guavanaut posted:

Tower Bridge syndrome, sometimes known as 'Gothic revival'.

If you're going to pretend to be old, at least go for Classical or Egyptian or just build a ziggurat.

I swear I walked through one estate in central London that felt like a Minoan palace complex. That was a cool revival.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Goldskull posted:

And yours is 'well mine works, why doesn't everyone elses?' It's just that my experience with such a thing was less than stellar. Especially when they'd do planned maintenance, always Friday-Sunday. I'm pretty sure a bit before we moved there was some community action getting underway for either getting compensation or a different contractor, because those guys did not give a gently caress.

The whole point of my "Well mine works fine" was to prove that anecdotes about individual systems are meaningless. Larger systems can easily be engineered to be considerably more reliable than small systems and still be much cheaper. I mean there's a reason why we don't have little two-stroke petrol generators, hand water pumps and septic tanks in our homes (shut up inevitable hermit living on a Hebrides), we just for some reason* don't treat hot water the same way.

* The reason should be obvious but gets even more obvious when you look at where the vast, vast majority of district/communal heating in non-high-rise buildings are, and who built them

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jakabite posted:

Is there any profession other than policing where you can just ignore your work email for two weeks and get away with it? We've been waiting on the copper involved to get back with a date he's available for my dad's inquest for a fortnight now. We, people who are not professionally required to do so, got back within a few days. gently caress I thought those stupid cruel lazy fuckers so much.

Who's arranging this? This should be nothing to do with either you or the officer involved. His duties department should have been told by the court that he's required to attend an inquest (which takes priority over attending any other court, which takes priority over any other duties). They should then arrange his attendance with the coroner directly, which is a simple matter of sending the court the officer's upcoming duties and the court going "we'll have this date when he was at work anyway, thank you". The officer's involvement should be limited to being told "you are warned for Court X on Date Y, turn up or else".

The police often like to give off the impression that they can do what they want, especially when this is not strictly true. Usually, the bigger the blowhard, the more scared they are of someone finding out what the correct place to apply pressure is. Either the coroner's letting it slide, or the force's duties people are mugging the coroner off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

I swear I walked through one estate in central London that felt like a Minoan palace complex. That was a cool revival.
Can you remember where, that sounds like something I'd enjoy seeing in Minecraft on Google Street View.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Tower Bridge syndrome, sometimes known as 'Gothic revival'.

If you're going to pretend to be old, at least go for Classical or Egyptian or just build a ziggurat.

In fairness Tower Bridge is attempting to be visually sympathetic to the Tower of London, as alien a concept as such a thing seems nowadays, and the gothicity is actually pretty minimal when you compare it to the Great Midland Hotel or the Houses of Parliament, which manage to have turrets on turrets and so much crenellation that they look like they've got woodworm.

Besides I like a bit of Victorian Gothic, imagine how dull our big Victorian cities would have been if the neoclassicists hadn't been stopped (possibly with a particularly pointy turret) after the Regency. They'd all look like Washington DC (or, not at all coincidentally, Speer's vision for Berlin).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Not neoclassicism" is an extremely low bar given that a hole in the ground full of turds is preferable to neoclassicism.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If you fill the sides of that hole with timber-imprinted concrete first a man from the Brutalist society comes and gives you a sticker

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
These guys really are staring confused at a magic eye drawing we all worked out years ago aren't they

I don't believe that they don't see it, I think 99% of them do but would prefer to double down than admit their own complicity

https://twitter.com/nicolelampert/status/1351836411603910656?s=19

Guavanaut posted:

Can you remember where, that sounds like something I'd enjoy seeing in Minecraft on Google Street View.

It's not revival but the old roman mithraic temple in the city of London owned and operated by some bank was a very surreal place to visit and I have no idea wtf was going on. Bizarre combo of sterile corp propaganda, roman ruins, standard museum stuff and iirc a light show of some kind?

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 20, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Who's arranging this? This should be nothing to do with either you or the officer involved. His duties department should have been told by the court that he's required to attend an inquest (which takes priority over attending any other court, which takes priority over any other duties). They should then arrange his attendance with the coroner directly, which is a simple matter of sending the court the officer's upcoming duties and the court going "we'll have this date when he was at work anyway, thank you". The officer's involvement should be limited to being told "you are warned for Court X on Date Y, turn up or else".

The police often like to give off the impression that they can do what they want, especially when this is not strictly true. Usually, the bigger the blowhard, the more scared they are of someone finding out what the correct place to apply pressure is. Either the coroner's letting it slide, or the force's duties people are mugging the coroner off.

Thanks for this. I'm in touch with someone from the coroner's office, it's all going through her. As far as I understand she's former police. This is handy to know though, thanks a lot. I'll bring this up if the answer I get isn't satisfactory. The whole thing has been a complete debacle, with us having to send a long and detailed list of all of the issues with the pre-disclosure report. Things that were blatantly contradictory. It's frustrating only having the evidence and not knowing at all how the coroner is interpreting it until the inquest - for all we know this could go down as a suicide, unexplained or an unlawful killing and we simply won't know until the day. I get that that's how it works, but the whole thing does nothing to ease the minds of the family.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Probably one of the late Peabody/Model Dwellings estates - there's a couple around Soho that fit that bill (although they're more a hybrid gothic/egyptian thing - turrets, but also sandstone) or maybe the ones along Tooley Street either side of Tower Bridge.

(For some reason Chrome is crashing whenever I try to open Google Maps, but have a poke around Drury Lane, St. Giles, and Tooley Street to see what I'm on about)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
district heating is a real thing that exists

if one can pipe a flammable pressurized gas to millions of homes, one can surely also pipe 50°C water in insulated pipes. It's not impossible or impractical as engineering goes

"but tearing up all the roads is expensive and unpopular" is a real and authentic objection though. Gas had decades to slowly lay in the pipe network. Introducing district heating where it doesn't already exist cannot be justified if it takes hundreds of years to recoup the capital investment, which it would if it required ripping up pipe networks and relaying them. All that construction works itself costs energy &c.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobstar posted:

These weirdo anti-maskers with the smiley face avatars and "bring back the smile"... they evoke a feeling of recognition of specific archetype. I can't put my finger on exactly who. A specific type of creepily friendly person, with a surface-level smile covering a deep well of aggression. The sort of person who tells women to smile more, and says "cheer up, it may never happen" to any person with resting neutral face. But that's just some of it. Anyone know what I mean?
Believe in a smiling god, friend

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Your argument is basically "everyone should have a car because my local bus route is poo poo" - the problem isn't with the public transport.
I don't know, I kind of think it is. Not the direct implementation, because systems like that which serve multiple users are functionally a great idea, but they have to come alongside legislation and infrastructure that means when it stops working, they can't just go 'ah it's just one person' and blow it off for a few days. And currently, that is a problem that this kind of system faces.

Because a lot of the time, that one person who's not getting heat / water is a disabled or vulnerable person who needs it and doesn't have the option of going out and buying bottled water / a space heater. And the reason they're not getting the service they need and are paying for is so that a private company can save money by ignoring minority cases.

Same with bus routes suddenly deciding to cut areas off from regular transport, or when buses skip a stop because they're running late. The people who lose out are people who can't drive or can't afford a car.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Our God is not a Smiling God, and we are ready for war.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably one of the late Peabody/Model Dwellings estates - there's a couple around Soho that fit that bill (although they're more a hybrid gothic/egyptian thing - turrets, but also sandstone) or maybe the ones along Tooley Street either side of Tower Bridge.

(For some reason Chrome is crashing whenever I try to open Google Maps, but have a poke around Drury Lane, St. Giles, and Tooley Street to see what I'm on about)

It is one of those. I could walk to it but I cannot remember where it was exactly.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol I suggested this right at the very start of the pandemic, Nobel Prize please.

(As was pointed out to me at the time, that sort of ventilation might not actually be of any use because positive-pressure ventilation keeps the lungs open and exchanging gas, iron lungs are for people with otherwise-healthy lungs who are unable to breathe due to damage to or paralysis of the breathing muscles. However I assume we know a bit more now about how covid affects breathing so it's not impossible this might be helpful in some situations)

I was looking for an interesting twitter thread on oxygen toxicity (also something on how PEEP in ventilation keeps airways open which your post reminded me of)

But I found this first which is probably much better

https://twitter.com/SecretRadiology/status/1350438673771335681

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Wonder if they'll become available for the handful of people (mainly US IIRC) who still depend on the old style ones.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

ronya posted:

if one can pipe a flammable pressurized gas to millions of homes, one can surely also pipe 50°C water in insulated pipes. It's not impossible or impractical as engineering goes

"but tearing up all the roads is expensive and unpopular" is a real and authentic objection though. Gas had decades to slowly lay in the pipe network. Introducing district heating where it doesn't already exist cannot be justified if it takes hundreds of years to recoup the capital investment, which it would if it required ripping up pipe networks and relaying them. All that construction works itself costs energy &c.

If digging up the road is a problem then lay cable at the same time you’re ripping out all the gas pipes when we move to decarbonisation and electrification of heating and cooking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Believe in a smiling god, friend

I don't know, I kind of think it is. Not the direct implementation, because systems like that which serve multiple users are functionally a great idea, but they have to come alongside legislation and infrastructure that means when it stops working, they can't just go 'ah it's just one person' and blow it off for a few days. And currently, that is a problem that this kind of system faces.

Because a lot of the time, that one person who's not getting heat / water is a disabled or vulnerable person who needs it and doesn't have the option of going out and buying bottled water / a space heater. And the reason they're not getting the service they need and are paying for is so that a private company can save money by ignoring minority cases.

Same with bus routes suddenly deciding to cut areas off from regular transport, or when buses skip a stop because they're running late. The people who lose out are people who can't drive or can't afford a car.

Which feeds in well, I think, to the idea that I heard a while ago that we live in a world of inherently capitalist technology, as in our technological solutions to problems and the way our society has formed around them and which ones have spread, are ones that rely excessively on centralization of power and which people are unable to effectively maintain in a decentralized fashion.

Which is efficient, when it works, but inherently carries the issue of being subject to disruption at the whims of the central authority.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

I'll take a guess that it was the barbican estate

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nahhh it felt more claustrophobic than that. It was near the Freemason building.

It's this one, one that we are not allowed to see inside: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5135397,-0.1236957,3a,75y,293.88h,106.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOtHHkxMiaoEosgAS6y8NBQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Theres part of the skywalk running along that from a wework office that is an incredible trip through Roman? archeological sites to that view of the sunken walkway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

These guys really are staring confused at a magic eye drawing we all worked out years ago aren't they

I don't believe that they don't see it, I think 99% of them do but would prefer to double down than admit their own complicity

https://twitter.com/nicolelampert/status/1351872322295255040
'or something' doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

ThomasPaine posted:

It's not revival but the old roman mithraic temple in the city of London owned and operated by some bank was a very surreal place to visit and I have no idea wtf was going on. Bizarre combo of sterile corp propaganda, roman ruins, standard museum stuff and iirc a light show of some kind?
Sounds like the kind of thing that'd involve owls and keep Alex Jones awake at night.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm not sure how an architect gets to hybrid gothic/egyptian but I'd imagine it involves Poe and opium.

ronya posted:

Or a non-flammable pressurized gas.

Heat pumps are getting very good at efficiency, but as with everything else you can scale, you could have a huge compressor unit, as would be used for office buildings, feeding loop gas to a whole street. Potentially combines some of both the best and worst of both heat pumps and district heating.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

New Adam Curtis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR9MELDeS5o

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

That's surprising. I'm from Ards and I only know of the one Newcastle in NI - the seaside one in south Down i mentioned yesterday https://goo.gl/maps/axVUwqPxYPpWDosM7 that one

that margate comment i made was possibly a bit harsh - looks like they've done it up a bit

they've put in shrubs and all geometric shapes there for people to look at https://goo.gl/maps/W1N8xFysEbX19w2L7

Never heard of the Ards Newcastle either.

Lived & worked in Newcastle Co. Down for a year back in 88-89, nice in the spring/summer but dreary as hell during wintertime. :gonk:

It does look much nicer now from that picture.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jakabite posted:

Is there any profession other than policing where you can just ignore your work email for two weeks and get away with it? We've been waiting on the copper involved to get back with a date he's available for my dad's inquest for a fortnight now. We, people who are not professionally required to do so, got back within a few days. gently caress I thought those stupid cruel lazy fuckers so much.

If you are having a problem getting in touch with a specific police officer, see if you can find out what Station he is attached to. (If you have an email address for him, it might also say what police station he is assigned to.)
Then try phoning that Station or emailing them, asking to speak to PC Joe Blogs, or to ask him to respond to your message. Explain that it’s to do with an Inquest and that you just need him to confirm dates.
Phone calls are more likely to spur people to action than just relying on emails alone.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

Wonder if they'll become available for the handful of people (mainly US IIRC) who still depend on the old style ones.

According to Wiki there are three left - I thought it was only one, because I remembered a story about a guy desperately searching for parts for his.

AIUI modern BIPAP machines work just as well (and is much easier for medical staff to provide care), the people still in them are in them because for fairly obvious reasons they're extremely reluctant to give up the device that has been their home and the thing keeping them alive for the vast majority of their lives.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like the kind of thing that'd involve owls and keep Alex Jones awake at night.

I tell a lie, it's owned (I think) by Bloomberg, which afaict is one of those all purpose data/tech/finance companies we'd all be better off burning to the ground.

Weird day out though, quite cool going to this old temple amongst all the glass skyscrapers.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Just Another Lurker posted:

nice in the spring/summer but dreary as hell during wintertime. :gonk:

It's in the UK, yes.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hahahahaha ok indy

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
No idea how old this is, just found the clip today

https://twitter.com/atw1062/status/1351660234725617664?s=21

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm not sure how an architect gets to hybrid gothic/egyptian but I'd imagine it involves Poe and opium.

They were both fashionable as hell in the late Victorian period, arguably a lot of the most famous Victorian Gothic buildings fall into that because they all have the mad ornamentation, buttresses and turrets all over the place but are generally in sandstone (or more commonly Bath stone, which looks like sandstone but doesn't dissolve in rain) - it was a reaction against the neoclassicists and the Egyptian revival gave them a material that very definitely wasn't granite/marble (and didn't show the coal soot stains as badly either).

TBH most Egyptian Revival buildings in London are just neoclassical ones where they've squared off the columns and done them in sandstone or brown marble, so the idea of just doing the same thing with gothic architecture isn't that weird.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Jakabite posted:

Thanks for this. I'm in touch with someone from the coroner's office, it's all going through her. As far as I understand she's former police. This is handy to know though, thanks a lot. I'll bring this up if the answer I get isn't satisfactory. The whole thing has been a complete debacle, with us having to send a long and detailed list of all of the issues with the pre-disclosure report. Things that were blatantly contradictory. It's frustrating only having the evidence and not knowing at all how the coroner is interpreting it until the inquest - for all we know this could go down as a suicide, unexplained or an unlawful killing and we simply won't know until the day. I get that that's how it works, but the whole thing does nothing to ease the minds of the family.

Inquests are a poo poo experience, and having only attended one I would say that's one more than I'd care to have been involved in. An experience that co-incidentally destroyed any shred of faith I may have had in the police service. Only positive was father in law got to tear the PLO a new arsehole several times over.

If you have issues with the report(s) that have been submitted to the coroner, you'll have opportunity to question the witnesses on the day and I would strongly recommend using that as fully as you can - you might not know who will be providing witness until the day, but definitely worth preparing for all eventualities - there are almost certainly going to be things you want answered that will be outside the scope of inquiry the coroner chooses. This is your one and only opportunity to get those answers.

This may be pointing out the obvious, but fully expect the establishment to be protecting their own. The coroner is there to determine the how and why of the death, but the establishment have no intention of learning from this, they just want to ensure as little as possible sticks. Expect lawyers, expect some pretty obvious bullshit.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Having a discussion on another forum about Starmer and trans rights and someone who was full-on Corbyn antisemitism came out with "He hasn't done anything whatsoever to suggest that he's going to sweep trans issues under the carpet. You're just fermenting fear, which is pretty lovely considering how much fear trans people live under in the first place."

I feel like I'm having a stroke.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

It rules how close to having an epiphany this gets before veering off 180 degrees into a loving wall.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sebzilla posted:

Having a discussion on another forum about Starmer and trans rights and someone who was full-on Corbyn antisemitism came out with "He hasn't done anything whatsoever to suggest that he's going to sweep trans issues under the carpet. You're just fermenting fear, which is pretty lovely considering how much fear trans people live under in the first place."

I feel like I'm having a stroke.

Some of those who like tirades
Are the same that drink Kool Aid

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

It rules how close to having an epiphany this gets before veering off 180 degrees into a loving wall.

There's a dozens of replies pointing out the epiphany she ought to be having and the only response her UK journalist brain can manufacture is "great now I'm being attacked by extremists :rolleyes:"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

peanut- posted:

There's a dozens of replies pointing out the epiphany she ought to be having and the only response her UK journalist brain can manufacture is "great now I'm being attacked by extremists :rolleyes:"

And unless Twitter is being selective in showing me the replies to that tweet, the only one who gets to use a swear word (gently caress) in that thread is herself.

Meanwhile, in other news:

What the gently caress? Defences, borders? Yes important in wider context, but this is totally designed to appeal to those of the gammonati who personally fought in the trenches of WW1 and the beaches of WW2.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1351887061851242499?s=20

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

These weirdo anti-maskers with the smiley face avatars and "bring back the smile"... they evoke a feeling of recognition of specific archetype. I can't put my finger on exactly who. A specific type of creepily friendly person, with a surface-level smile covering a deep well of aggression. The sort of person who tells women to smile more, and says "cheer up, it may never happen" to any person with resting neutral face. But that's just some of it. Anyone know what I mean?

It may be related to a tendency/archetype/aesthetic (if any of those are right term) which I notice particularly strongly at the moment with Laurence Fox (who of course is currently grifting hard as an anti-masker) but can be found all over a certain sort of right-wing-ery. Fox's statment on QT that set him off down his current road was "we're the most tolerant lovely country in Europe". His twitter is full of exhortations for people to "love, kiss and hug those close to you" and "every moment and every life is precious" and fear of not being able to see people's mouths behind their masks because "we're social animals" and being distraught at seeing "muzzled people with fearful eyes" when he goes to the shops.

Now, it's partly because Fox is a special sort of stupid, but he's not alone in using this sort of simpering twee, lovey-dovey style as a face for the usual right-wing poo poo. It's seems related to the usual thing that the right are 'optimistic' ("We Luv Boris And His Optimism!!!!!") because they tend to just say that everything is inherently wonderful and 100% wonderfulness is only being prevented by [insert otherised group here] while the left. Fox and his ilk use it to deflect by claiming that they just want everyone to get along and love each other as people (by which he means no one ever mentioning the existence of racism or other -isms unless it's the sort suffered by white straight men).

It's a bit like what I would probably end up calling the 'Bake-Off Aesthetic' which crept into a lot of media during the Coalition years and around the Olympics - a sort of 1950s idealised Midsomer Women's Institute look. All pastel shades, bunting, crochetwork Union Jacks, naive art of farmyard animals, Cornishware plates, brightly-coloured GPO phones, classic Minis with Union Jacks on the roof and wicker hampers in the boot and 'Keep Calm And Carry On' posters. Everything's sunny, bright, clean and 'nice'. Lovely, in fact And of course it's related to being 'patriotic' (but only the right sort of patriotism...) and loving Britain and British Values.

It's a sort of nostalgic denial of anything being wrong. Escapist. And maybe, in some contexts, slightly fashy in its use of an idealised past majoring on the appearance and style without considering what is missing from the apparent idyll.

I know that's a disjointed mess of a post, and I think I may have just called GBBO fascist propaganda - which I don't for a moment think it is! - but it's just something I've noticed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Is that like making sauerkraut? :v:

You could respond that under the current environment an absence of positive rhetoric can be taken as a presence of negative progress, something about how even Biden can find the time to get other people to make positive overtures, and would you be suspicious of someone who refused to take a stand on gay rights 20 years ago something something that Desmond Tutu quote.

Or you could smack your genitals with a ball peen hammer, which is probably about as productive :shrug:

kingturnip posted:

Some of those who like tirades
Are the same that drink Kool Aid
:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

BalloonFish posted:

It's a bit like what I would probably end up calling the 'Bake-Off Aesthetic' which crept into a lot of media during the Coalition years and around the Olympics - a sort of 1950s idealised Midsomer Women's Institute look. All pastel shades, bunting, crochetwork Union Jacks, naive art of farmyard animals, Cornishware plates, brightly-coloured GPO phones, classic Minis with Union Jacks on the roof and wicker hampers in the boot and 'Keep Calm And Carry On' posters. Everything's sunny, bright, clean and 'nice'. Lovely, in fact And of course it's related to being 'patriotic' (but only the right sort of patriotism...) and loving Britain and British Values.

But the point you're missing here is that Midsomer Women's Institute would be the place of murders committed in cruel and unusual ways using said bunting, crochetwork and home baked cakes.....