Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does 1.5 shake up early game stuff? I'm in the last week of winter in year 1. I'm digging this game a ton and I'm wondering if I should keep going with this file or reroll to get the most out of 1.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Does 1.5 shake up early game stuff? I'm in the last week of winter in year 1. I'm digging this game a ton and I'm wondering if I should keep going with this file or reroll to get the most out of 1.5.

1.5 gives you a new farm type and the option to shuffle around the community centre bundles with some new options.

The majority of its content is in the post-game, though.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

1.5 has the option or "Remixing" both mine floor rewards and community center bundles. So I'd say yes. I've played through the game several times and sometimes the only thing you need to change is the farm and how you want to run things and it's different. So with the new farm in 1.5 I chose all the remix options to mix things up. It especially keeps you guessing on what you'll need to do to complete the community center.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

As said above, but to go more for the point of your question :-

The only things you wouldn't be able to access on your current farm are the new map and remixing the bundles or mine chests.

Other stuff can be nice, like mahogany seeds and tree fertilizer and moving the greenhouse and stuff, but not like time to wipe your save over it. On the other hand if you want to enjoy the early game again, it's a good excuse to start a new farm.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
1.5 also has the special requests, so there's at least one new thing to work on each week during your first winter in terms of mixing things up. But if you're already going just keep going.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 20, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I restarted for 1.5, and in my opinion, there's not much need to do so. The new stuff is nice, but most of it comes after completing the community center so the first year or two hasn't changed much.

I'm salty that Walleye's are technically catchable in winter, but only if it rains and it never rains (snow doesn't count) in winter. I'm going to have to wait until fall 2 to complete the community center because of this one dumb fish.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can make a rain totem if you've got the skill and the truffle oil

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I started a new farm for 1.5 and felt like I had way too much stuff to get through so I went and reloaded an older save from an established farm that worked a lot better for me. The initial rush of Spring/Summer Y1 aren't that much different, even with the remix options, at least how I play anyway. So I wanted to skip that and get right to the new content and I'm happy about that.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 20, 2021

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I was today years old when I learned that if you go into the little mini-dungeon at the quarry to get the Golden Scythe and, after getting said Golden Scythe, you click on the statue again it teleports you back to the entrance

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I was today years old when I learned that if you go into the little mini-dungeon at the quarry to get the Golden Scythe and, after getting said Golden Scythe, you click on the statue again it teleports you back to the entrance

I've heard this a lot from people and am just glad when I got it my first time I hit the statue one too many times and teleported out when done.

Tylana posted:

Other stuff can be nice, like mahogany seeds and tree fertilizer

For the record Tree Fertilizer was introduced in 1.4.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I haven't played Stardew since August so starting a new farm is refreshing for me even though I'll have to start all over on console once the patch comes out. I find that if I take a break from long games that it's all foreign and it's just better to start over.

The beach farm is a great experience with the caveat that you need an upgraded watering can stat and have to accept that you're going to use the first 3-4 hours watering crops.
You'll need to either rest in the spa or eat food to do anything else.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

LLSix posted:

I'm salty that Walleye's are technically catchable in winter, but only if it rains and it never rains (snow doesn't count) in winter. I'm going to have to wait until fall 2 to complete the community center because of this one dumb fish.

I think heavy snow counts, seems like a weird oversight otherwise.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rain totems exist and can be used in winter.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

LLSix posted:

I'm in this same fuckin walleye predicament.

I don't have pigs so no truffles for a rain totem. The Friday and Sunday cart merchant hasn't sold truffles yet. I'm almost at the end of my first winter.

It's the only thing standing between me and finishing my fishing bundles.

WarpedNaba posted:

As best as I can tell it doesn't. I spent three snowy days fishing and didn't catch a single walleye.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

According to lookup anything, it doesn't count.

No rain totems because they need truffle oil. Animals don't leave the barn in winter, so even though I had pigs, I couldn't get truffles.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Rick_Hunter posted:

The beach farm is a great experience with the caveat that you need an upgraded watering can stat and have to accept that you're going to use the first 3-4 hours watering crops.
You'll need to either rest in the spa or eat food to do anything else.

The eventual acquiring of Deluxe Retaining Soil results in plants you only have to water once, though that denies use of Speed-Gro or other fertilizers.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Wildtortilla posted:

If it's your first game, I would definitely keep playing through until the end of winter year 2, even after you've finished the community centre bundles.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

maltesh posted:

The eventual acquiring of Deluxe Retaining Soil results in plants you only have to water once, though that denies use of Speed-Gro or other fertilizers.

At that point you can sprinkler the patch of soil on the farm, the greenhouse and the post-game farm. Which I understand is not enough for some people.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
I've decided to use my beach farm as a fish farm, as I've never used the ponds before, and I'm enjoying it. Very chill so far.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I'm on my first run and I've got a pond of sea urchin (maybe not the best fish, money wise). They occasionally give me roe but that's about it.

I think the other fish require you to put special items in to expand the capacity. But the sea urchin didn't require that.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Ponds are handy. roe value changes wildly based on fish rarity, as do quest requirements. Basic stuff is just what it is though. Try to have a sturgeon one for at least a while, as their roe ages differently in a jar.

I think you can weirdly put coral in one? Haha.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tylana posted:

I think you can weirdly put coral in one? Haha.

Hey, coral is a living animal after all! It's not useful at all but it is pretty cool.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
There is also the side benefit that you can take fish back out of the pond (and they breed/increase over time) for other uses like cooking. No star quality though.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think the deluxe water retaining soil is used for grow-ops inside of Sheds. I'm (eventually) going to use it to become some kind of one man brewery.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Some of the different fish can give you other items as well. Woodskip, blobfish, super cucumbers and octopus are all worth putting in ponds for that purpose

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Nearly passing out on Fall 1 because I vastly misjudged the time and energy involved in "I just want to shuffle these four patches of tilled soil and related sprinklers one to the right. How hard can that be?"

Aw gently caress I need to pickaxe up all these stone path tiles. Aw gently caress I can't just right click on sprinklers to pick them up and move over 1 tile. Aw gently caress I have to re-water a lot of soil now. Aw gently caress it is already 11 pm and I'm only halfway done spamming basic fertilizer.-WAIT. poo poo. I HAVEN'T FINISHED PLANT ALL MY SEEDS!...Okay I'm done, everything is fine... *Rushes out of the house to put the scarecrow back down*

Four 6x6 patches of crops seems so tiny, until a complete moron like me is the one doing the farming :downs:

At this rate when my first coop is built I am probably going to somehow kill all of my chickens in a barn fire.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I've just got 4 ponds of Super Cucumbers because it was the most valuable fish I had on hand when I started them. I'm not sure if I'm using them to full potential just taking the roe and aging it to sell.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I usually wind up with 6 fish ponds. 2 Blobfish, 2 Lava Eel, 2 Sturgeon. Those seem to be the most valuable. They are assholes when they ask for things out of season or a very specific mineral that can only be found in geodes. I'm pretty sure Blobfish will ask for cookies at one point and I guess that makes sense when you think about it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
For the longest time, my ponds were eight Lava Eels, and 2 Coral.

Post 1.5, I currently have 4 Lionfish, 4 Stingrays, and 2 Blue Discus, for the purposes of acquiring Tiger Slime Eggs, Dragon's Teeth , and Golden Coconuts, respectively.

Overall, I'd say it's probably not worth it to go this route, the hundreds of Spicy Eel meals I have left over from the years of Lava Eel farming were far more useful in pumping Luck to get Tiger Slime Eggs and Dragon's Teeth from kills than the ponds were.

Also, one of the things you'll need to get your Stingray Pond populated enough to produce Dragon's Teeth is a Dragon's Tooth.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

limp_cheese posted:

I usually wind up with 6 fish ponds. 2 Blobfish, 2 Lava Eel, 2 Sturgeon. Those seem to be the most valuable. They are assholes when they ask for things out of season or a very specific mineral that can only be found in geodes. I'm pretty sure Blobfish will ask for cookies at one point and I guess that makes sense when you think about it.

My Blobfish just asked me for cookies last night, which is how I discovered I was at 10 hearts with Evelyn and had never done her 4-heart event!! Sorry granny :(

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

They may be nearly worthless but the Void Salmon are at least funny to have in a pool because they turn it purple, ask for gothy poo poo like bat wings, and respond to getting it with stuff like "Yes, these Bat Wings will suit our dark purpose."

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Octopus have a chance to give Omni geodes and also have one of the best sprites. Gotta have at least one of them even if minerals aren’t really worth that much

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Crab pond gets you mad props with Willy.

Personally, I go with Night Carp, Midnight Squid, and Flounder, and then I can make Seafoam Pudding whenever I need to go chase down a specific fish to catch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bonster posted:

Speaking of houses:

There's an attic and a basement. I was planning to wait until Farmhouse Redone was updated before uploading to Nexus, but it's taking it's time. I like the FR mod because I can designate walls and floors so the game treats them the same way as in the standard farmhouse, and lets you change walls and floors and hang things on walls, as well as relocating things like the front door easily, otherwise you're stuck with my choices.

What do you think of the dividing walls? They're translucent (you can sort of see my character behind the rainbow) - I wanted something less intrusive than a full wall but still dividing the space.
ETA: I did redecorate that hallway, wasn't fond of all the walls and floors clashing.

That's really rad. I think If I had extra room in my house though Id end up just filling it with more machines.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I've got a pond with Sturgeon for the last bundle. Other than that, it all depends on whether more ponds would fit into the 4-corners aesthetic after I'm in a post-scarcity money situation.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Recent discussion with a friend led to a question I want to put to the thread:

I think stardew is set in a Rimworld-type universe, with bioengineered crops, forgotten hypertech, aliens, etc, with the sign of the vessel being a reference to a colony ship, maybe visible as an orbiting speck during the winter festival.

He thinks that's just coincidence, and the world is a generic Final Fantasy style magitech rpg, only you're an NPC not the story protagonist.

Thread thoughts? Has all this been discussed to death in past pages?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

CA plays background lore fast and loose, so not really.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have always thought the post-post-apocalyptic setting makes sense and is more entertaining. it's not like it's written down anywhere though

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Dang, starting year 2 with the golden hoe and watering can feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Atopian posted:

Recent discussion with a friend led to a question I want to put to the thread:

I think stardew is set in a Rimworld-type universe, with bioengineered crops, forgotten hypertech, aliens, etc, with the sign of the vessel being a reference to a colony ship, maybe visible as an orbiting speck during the winter festival.

He thinks that's just coincidence, and the world is a generic Final Fantasy style magitech rpg, only you're an NPC not the story protagonist.

Thread thoughts? Has all this been discussed to death in past pages?

You could be right, but your friend is definitely wrong. What little background lore we do have, the opening sequence, makes it clear this is set in more-or-less modern day. As does Sebastian's job as a freelance software developer.

Some elements of the gameplay contradict it being modern day - the use of a hand-powered watering can and hoe instead of a tractor, for example. However, I think that's best put down to genre conventions rather than anything that should be used to establish world tech levels. Ditto the melee weapon focus.