Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

FilthyImp posted:

I wonder if Spidey's "It's cuz I'm black" joke would still work in a SheHulk thing..m

Considering the fact that they turned JJJ into Alex Jones (which is a very bad take on the character, in my opinion, but I digress) in the MCU it would be a more pointed joke than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

site posted:

The problem was that he didn't aim for the head

The movies are super explicit about that, too, both Thanos and Thor call Thor out for not doing the instant kill.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JordanKai posted:

Considering the fact that they turned JJJ into Alex Jones (which is a very bad take on the character, in my opinion, but I digress) in the MCU it would be a more pointed joke than ever.

We haven't seen nearly enough of him to know that. You're conflating the games in there.

They've definitely taken the right wing white dude yells at a camera style but there's a lot of room between that and gay frogs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He did go for the immediate kill though, he put the axe right into Thanos' chest at the first available opportunity. Then he pauses to regain his strength before trying to finish the job.

The problem is that (like in Endgame) killing Thanos doesn't solve the problem and it's what Thor is focused on.

Not sure what you mean there. Killing Thanos would absolutely solve the problem. Thanos IS the problem. That's why Thor screwed up.

There's no regaining his strength. He takes his sweet rear end time. Thor wants to kill Thanos, but on his terms. Going for the head would prevent the snap, but it cheats him out of his revenge because of how sudden it is. He wants Thanos to suffer in his final moments and know it was Thor's doing, but in doing so, he underestimates Thanos and gives him the opportunity to doom half the universe.

Interestingly enough, when Iron Man does give Thanos a lengthier death that he can stew in, instead of catharsis in the name of vengeance, we instead see Cap give Thanos a look of sympathy. At least that's how I read that expression.

McCloud posted:

That was just a cheap copout excuse to cover their asses so everytime someone asked "well why didn't x just do y" they could point to that dumb line and justify why things had to play out the way they did.

...Well, either that or Dr Strange realized Stark was as big a threat to the world as Thanos was and figured two birds, one stone.

I remember How It Should Have Ended covering Infinity War and their take was that if they successfully stopped Quill from waking up Thanos, then Nebula would have wielded the Infinity Stones. Also that Nebula with the Infinity Stones was absolutely a good thing and would have completely saved the day. I just watched and wondered, "Did you even read the assignment?"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Recently I watched each of the MCU films in order and just finished Endgame today and for a while I wished Disney had the right to the fantastic Four because I would have liked to have a scene in the climactic battle where Ben Grimm shouted out "It's clobbering time!"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bessantj posted:

Recently I watched each of the MCU films in order and just finished Endgame today and for a while I wished Disney had the right to the fantastic Four because I would have liked to have a scene in the climactic battle where Ben Grimm shouted out "It's clobbering time!"

They can just CGI that into the special edition 20 years from now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gavok posted:

I remember How It Should Have Ended covering Infinity War and their take was that if they successfully stopped Quill from waking up Thanos, then Nebula would have wielded the Infinity Stones. Also that Nebula with the Infinity Stones was absolutely a good thing and would have completely saved the day. I just watched and wondered, "Did you even read the assignment?"

Nebula's arc by that point is completely different than the comics though. She's reconciled with her sister and begrudgingly recognizes the found family. Her primary concern, even after briefly being tortured, is seeing him dead. And then when she discovers Gamora is missing, it's recovering her. IW doesn't have her experience the trauma of suspended melting living death the comics version did, which drove her insane

I don't necessarily agree that it would've been clean, but I don't think it would've lead to the comics ending either

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

They can just CGI that into the special edition 20 years from now

With Luke Skywalker right beside him.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

We haven't seen nearly enough of him to know that. You're conflating the games in there.

It's possible that they'll steer away from it in future films, but the viewer is definitely meant to take away that JJJ = Alex Jones in the post credits scene of Far From Home.

Logo in the upper-right, monocolour world map with faux-digital effects on a monitor in the background, desktop microphone, lots of paper on the desk, blazer with unbuttoned dress shirt, etc. They worked hard to make the resemblance as uncanny as possible.

I'm not saying they'll explicitly make JJJ racist, but the context clues do imply that he is.

e: they messed up BIG TIME by not covering J.K. Simmons in rolexes.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 20, 2021

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

site posted:

Nebula's arc by that point is completely different than the comics though. She's reconciled with her sister and begrudgingly recognizes the found family. Her primary concern, even after briefly being tortured, is seeing him dead. And then when she discovers Gamora is missing, it's recovering her. IW doesn't have her experience the trauma of suspended melting living death the comics version did, which drove her insane

I don't necessarily agree that it would've been clean, but I don't think it would've lead to the comics ending either

That's fair.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JordanKai posted:

It's possible that they'll steer away from it in future films, but the viewer is definitely meant to take away that JJJ = Alex Jones in the post credits scene of Far From Home.

Logo in the upper-right, monocolour world map with faux-digital effects on a monitor in the background, desktop microphone, lots of paper on the desk, blazer with unbuttoned dress shirt, etc. They worked hard to make the resemblance as uncanny as possible.

I'm not saying they'll explicitly make JJJ racist, but the context clues do imply that he is.

e: they messed up BIG TIME by not covering J.K. Simmons in rolexes.

In fairness, isn't that similar to the direction in the comics, with JJ as a right-wing crank with a vlog? With the obvious twist that once comic Jonah found out Peter was Spidey he immediately changed his tune and became comically overblown in praising him?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gaz-L posted:

In fairness, isn't that similar to the direction in the comics, with JJ as a right-wing crank with a vlog? With the obvious twist that once comic Jonah found out Peter was Spidey he immediately changed his tune and became comically overblown in praising him?
They also did it in the Spider-Man PS4 game where he becomes an Alex Jones type talk radio loon

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In the 90s cartoon he was a Ted Turner type with a media empire and his own editorial news segments, a la Bill O'Reilly. Jonah's always keeping up with the times.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It feels like there was a time when that kind of media personality was just a kinda zany, relatively harmless sort of thing?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
He's never been harmless

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fangz posted:

It feels like there was a time when that kind of media personality was just a kinda zany, relatively harmless sort of thing?

Yeah Jameson hasn't changed, it's just we've become more cognizant of how harmful people like him are.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The thing I don't get about turning JJJ into an Alex Jones type is that he's supposed to be Peter's pain in the rear end boss who ultimately has a heart of gold, even if he hates Spider-Man. So he should probably be penny-pinching administrator at whatever school Peter ends up teaching at, or a federal regulator who shows up to ruin Parker Industries for their flagrant violations of safety protocols, or something.

The other thing is how the types of figures that modern JJJ tends to parody would sell their grandma for a wood nickel. That's not "rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold" material.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah Jameson hasn't changed, it's just we've become more cognizant of how harmful people like him are.

William Randolph Heart(who Jameson is directly based off of) and his imitators did even more damage than any modern pundit is doing currently, it's just that that was in the past so it's easy for us to romanticize or minimize the effects of.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

The thing I don't get about turning JJJ into an Alex Jones type is that he's supposed to be Peter's pain in the rear end boss who ultimately has a heart of gold, even if he hates Spider-Man. So he should probably be penny-pinching administrator at whatever school Peter ends up teaching at, or a federal regulator who shows up to ruin Parker Industries for their flagrant violations of safety protocols, or something.

The other thing is how the types of figures that modern JJJ tends to parody would sell their grandma for a wood nickel. That's not "rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold" material.

Ahmed actually did this with the vice principal of Miles' school who loved the new Spider-Man but thought Miles was a brat and a ditcher.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think I ever really saw JJJ as a "heart of gold" guy, although maybe I read the wrong books. Sure, he wasn't all evil and now adays the internet tend to see RWM or all media as very one dimensional forces of bad but Jameson was always a yellow journalist who printed lies to make money and feed his agenda.

Yeah, maybe we're just more conscious of how bad that is now than we were back then. But its always been a dangerous and cynical thing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Like a lot of comic book characters he has had some wild swings in his characterisation over the many years he's been appearing. There's some runs of comics where he's depicted as a decent journalist who exposes corruption and malfeasance who just dislikes Spider-Man because he distrusts anyone who wears a mask (and I'm pretty sure I've seen at least a few different 616 explanations for why that's the case) and then some where he's so obsessed with Spider-Man he funds the creation of multiple super villains who've gone on to murder people.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah, on the one hand JJJ reads differently in this day and age, but on the other hand his characterization's already been all over the place, ping-ponging between caricature and gravitas. He's been treated as an honest journalist standing up against bigotry in one issue, and a biased rear end in a top hat chasing fake news in another.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, on the one hand JJJ reads differently in this day and age, but on the other hand his characterization's already been all over the place, ping-ponging between caricature and gravitas. He's been treated as an honest journalist standing up against bigotry in one issue, and a biased rear end in a top hat chasing fake news in another.

The thing is, I don't think any of it is really contradictory. Jameson is a guy who at some point in his life was pure and good, and had reality beat him down into what he is. Sometimes the guy he used to be comes out. Sometimes he's really TRYING to be that guy again, and sometimes he's not. And his biases play a role in it too. He hates all masked men, and thinks they're cowards, so he'll run a story exposing the klan but also twist the facts to run a story about how Spider-Man also sucks.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Fangz posted:

Yeah, before the Reagan administration got rid of the Fairness Doctrine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think I ever really saw JJJ as a "heart of gold" guy, although maybe I read the wrong books. Sure, he wasn't all evil and now adays the internet tend to see RWM or all media as very one dimensional forces of bad but Jameson was always a yellow journalist who printed lies to make money and feed his agenda.

You'd get things like in Silk's book where when she admits she's looking for her family JJJ says "I was the mayor and I have friends on the force, I'll put you in touch with my contacts" without a second thought. Spider-Man's just his... thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be honest I just think I find "heart of gold" to be a weird trope because its often used to describe characters who do a lot of bad to a lot of people but then show some humanity. JJJ definitely has humanity but he also definitely does destructuve stuff knowingly.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fangz posted:

Nah. Demagouges have always been around, but radio and TV is what changed the propaganda game.

Look at Father Coughlin and Buckley.

The fairness doctrine just allowed us to be more inundated with it. News turning from news to opinion has not helped either.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 21, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think the scene in Spidmi where he refuses to give up Parker to the goblin made people think jjj is a good guy inside.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Vince MechMahon posted:

The thing is, I don't think any of it is really contradictory. Jameson is a guy who at some point in his life was pure and good, and had reality beat him down into what he is. Sometimes the guy he used to be comes out. Sometimes he's really TRYING to be that guy again, and sometimes he's not. And his biases play a role in it too. He hates all masked men, and thinks they're cowards, so he'll run a story exposing the klan but also twist the facts to run a story about how Spider-Man also sucks.

I don't know about pure and good per se but yeah it's basically this

iirc jonah has a history of being pro-mutant and supportive of their causes, and a generally good detective slash journalist with integrity back in his day but then he became the old rear end in a top hat who helped fund The Scorpion

I've been spending a lot of time around my parents lately so this kind of clicks; like, my dad donates to charities and would give the shirt off his back to a total stranger but also hates "the queers" being on his television

sometimes people are just, like that

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

twistedmentat posted:

I think the scene in Spidmi

What?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

You'd get things like in Silk's book where when she admits she's looking for her family JJJ says "I was the mayor and I have friends on the force, I'll put you in touch with my contacts" without a second thought. Spider-Man's just his... thing.

There's a new Silk mini coming out where he's apparently still paying her to do research for his website. I forget if he found out her secret identity in her old title, but I think he generally liked Silk more than Spidey, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

There's a new Silk mini coming out where he's apparently still paying her to do research for his website. I forget if he found out her secret identity in her old title, but I think he generally liked Silk more than Spidey, though.

Yeah. Cindy did the 'turn in a Silk story for money' thing (sort of) and was suddenly worried JJJ would treat Silk like Spidey but instead he immediately ran with the idea that Spider-Man was getting in Silk's way.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I think the scene in Spidmi where he refuses to give up Parker to the goblin made people think jjj is a good guy inside.

Yeah, in the Raimi movies, he's a jerk, but he's not evil. He's a loveable rear end in a top hat because he's played so comically perfect, like the cast of Always Sunny.

Speaking of, when will Marvel cast Danny Devito as Mole Man Trashman?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lurdiak posted:

William Randolph Heart(who Jameson is directly based off of) and his imitators did even more damage than any modern pundit is doing currently, it's just that that was in the past so it's easy for us to romanticize or minimize the effects of.

Didn't Stan say that JJJ was his evil in-comics avatar (which goes a bit of the ways to explaining JJJ's glory hound nature) or was that something someone who took over the book after he left played around with?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

STAC Goat posted:

To be honest I just think I find "heart of gold" to be a weird trope because its often used to describe characters who do a lot of bad to a lot of people but then show some humanity. JJJ definitely has humanity but he also definitely does destructuve stuff knowingly.

That's why I always really liked that What If issue where Jonah adopted Peter (Chameleon's first appearance accidentally caused the deaths of Aunt May and John Jameson). Jonah's hatred for Spider-Man has sympathetic aspects to it, but it spirals out of control to the point that Peter -- who was afraid of Jonah being ashamed of him -- finally snaps, unmasks himself and rants at him before storming off. Jonah's immediate reaction is, "Peter... hates me," and he's hit with the realizations of what his own stupid vendetta has done to those around him.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I think that's supposed to be a very tortured portmanteau of "Spider-Man" and "Raimi" haha.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know you’ll all be sad, but Morbius got delayed again, now this time until January 2022.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know you’ll all be sad, but Morbius got delayed again, now this time until January 2022.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's talk all the push back might kill Black Widow, but I would not be upset if it did the same to Morbius. (And one imagines BW will be fine anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Dawgstar posted:

There's talk all the push back might kill Black Widow, but I would not be upset if it did the same to Morbius. (And one imagines BW will be fine anyway.)

Push back? Uh oh, what did Scar Jo do now?