Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

"very famous documentary"
"fictitious medieval england"

Jesus loving christ rudy, pick one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Proust Malone posted:

Sorry to cross the streams here but I’m halfway through the first book and all I’m feeling is that it’s a Tolkien ripoff. Does it get better or should I eject now?

it changes style but gets even worse

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
For what's it worth, I've read both LoR and WoT and Robert Jordan is clearly the better writer. I'd give Lord of the Rings a 6/10 and Wheel of Time a 8/10.

And I'm saying this as someone who normally prefers SF or non-fiction, so I'm clearly unbiased.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Libluini posted:

For what's it worth, I've read both LoR and WoT and Robert Jordan is clearly the better writer. I'd give Lord of the Rings a 6/10 and Wheel of Time a 8/10.

And I'm saying this as someone who normally prefers SF or non-fiction, so I'm clearly unbiased.

what on earth

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I read Wheel of Time like last year and I've already forgotten most of what happens. Had to look at the wiki to remember who the Sharans even were, lol.

I mostly enjoyed reading them at the time, but they're definitely not the pinnacle of literature. And absolutely no way that Robert Jordan is a better writer than Tolkien.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I read Wheel of Time like last year and I've already forgotten most of what happens. Had to look at the wiki to remember who the Sharans even were, lol.

I mostly enjoyed reading them at the time, but they're definitely not the pinnacle of literature. And absolutely no way that Robert Jordan is a better writer than Tolkien.

yeah a few years after the tv series crashes no one will remember wot, just like asoiaf, but new generations will still continue to read lotr and hobbit

lotr and hobbit are by no means perfect, but they are the closest thing fantasy genre has to literature

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Sharans are cousins of the Karens. So watch out.

Is it out yet?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Collateral posted:

Sharans are cousins of the Karens. So watch out.

Is it out yet?

yes

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah a few years after the tv series crashes no one will remember wot, just like asoiaf, but new generations will still continue to read lotr and hobbit

lotr and hobbit are by no means perfect, but they are the closest thing fantasy genre has to literature

Yeah Ursula LeGuin definitely was never born in whatever hosed up time line you’re from.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
There's also Gormenghast and some other poo poo, but I guess if you don't know something, it's automatically worse than stuff everyone knows. :v:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

I feel like the show removing all the religious and magical stuff screwed it over in the end. Like Bran and Arya just get gutted plotwise because like all their stuff is religious and magical.

Also reading AFFC and ADWD back to back is infinitely better since it's one book split into two. I also think your favorite POVs play into it.

I think GRRM's refusal to either cut things,do a timeskip,or add another book is what's screwing him over. Also we should've been getting Dornish chapters in ASoS if he was going to go into detail about them. Like just needs to go gently caress it and go at AGoT pace again and just age everyone up/get everyone into place.

If I recall Cersei and Jon and Stannis were the problematic ones in terms of a timeskip, so if Cersei and Stannis die he could do it still.

Its all so half assed. The "Dornish plot". The real Targaryaen heir. Victorian's whole deal. Its just a dude who cant concentrate just riffing.

Which might work in anythjng other than a decades spanning grand epic.

Like, wtf is the point of these books. What is it trying to say.

Other than lemon cakes and rape.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 20, 2021

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Shageletic posted:

Its all so one and a half assed.

Other than lemon cakes and rape.

Why would those be separate things?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Libluini posted:

There's also Gormenghast and some other poo poo, but I guess if you don't know something, it's automatically worse than stuff everyone knows. :v:

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah Ursula LeGuin definitely was never born in whatever hosed up time line you’re from.

they're decent too, and much better than whatever wot or asoiaf are, but not quite on tolkien's level

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019
IMO Beagle, Peake, Le Guin, Lindsay, and Zelazny rival Tolkien, and Morris, MacDonald, Eddison, and Dunsany surpass him.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

they're decent too, and much better than whatever wot or asoiaf are, but not quite on tolkien's level

Have you actually read a book that wasn’t written for children ever?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Sigh

Collateral fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 21, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pseudanonymous posted:

Have you actually read a book that wasn’t written for children ever?

lmao, did you get a boo-boo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Does Gene Wolfe not count because there's space ships in his stuff?

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

Terrible Opinions posted:

Does Gene Wolfe not count because there's space ships in his stuff?

If this is directed at me, I just haven't read him. I wasn't trying to be exhaustive, just pointing out that fantasy has more good authors at its foundation than people usually give it credit for, and that Tolkien is good but not singular.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/variety/status/1352334142869032960?s=21

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its going to be over before the next book

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

It's not a new set of stories, but I'll take it

(Assuming they don't gently caress it up)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Homora Gaykemi posted:

It's not a new set of stories, but I'll take it

(Assuming they don't gently caress it up)

Did you read the book? I bought it, but never read it. Any good?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’ll never be able to leverage the Game of Thrones name again. They hosed it up too bad. It’s pretty impressive.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Has any show ever fallen as far and fast as GoT did? It was dominating pop culture and even with the later seasons being worse, people were still excited for various reasons. Then the final episode hit and people collectively asked what the gently caress and then... nothing.

I see more people talk about Rome than GoT at this point and I'd be surprised if that show had 1/10th the viewers.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Has any show ever fallen as far and fast as GoT did? It was dominating pop culture and even with the later seasons being worse, people were still excited for various reasons. Then the final episode hit and people collectively asked what the gently caress and then... nothing.

I see more people talk about Rome than GoT at this point and I'd be surprised if that show had 1/10th the viewers.

Both Rome and Carnivale really opened the door for shows like GoT, which may have shut the door behind it as poorly as it ended.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But people love those shows and wanted more. People turned on the Game of Thrones something fierce and even got some retroactive hate. It’s super impressive.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Remember Lost? Me neither.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dexter has to be up there.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

Remember Lost? Me neither.

I still remember the early seasons of Lost very well, but whatever happened in that show past season 3 or something is a total blank to me.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TeaJay posted:

I still remember the early seasons of Lost very well, but whatever happened in that show past season 3 or something is a total blank to me.

I remember the butt plug of doom.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Just think of all those poor kids named kaleesi

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I still think the most mind boggling reveal I had in the entire series got pointed out by goons.

Damp-hair not dam-fair.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Justin Credible posted:

I still think the most mind boggling reveal I had in the entire series got pointed out by goons.

Damp-hair not dam-fair.

This revelation made me realize how dumb I am.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I had a friend who thought jaime was pronounced hi-me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That feels entirely likely for anyone who grew up in a Spanish speaking place.

TowerofOil posted:

I almost feel worse for the kids named Arya. Like you were so close to getting the same but plausibly deniable name of Aria.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TowerofOil posted:

Those parents could’ve gone with Danny too

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The real funny part is they all thought that was her name and not a title.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Justin Credible posted:

Damp-hair not dam-fair.

This was me for a long time. ‘Oh that’s a weird moniker. I bet it’s some old reference like everything else.’ lol nope i’m just thick.

TowerofOil posted:

Anyone that lives around spanish speakers would assume hi-meh. I did since I have friends named Jaime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

TowerofOil posted:

It’s been mentioned, but there’s absolutely nothing weird about thinking this. It’s very common in a lot of places.