Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How does Portland think that rivers work?

Here’s a geographically‐accurate mock‐up:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Platystemon posted:

How does Portland think that rivers work?
Those are the four rivers of Paradise, flowing out from Sidrat Al-Muntaha. Any resemblance to local geography is coincidental.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RagnarokZ posted:

Portland's flag is a modified Nordic cross, it's pretty good.

:wrong:

quote:

The offset cross is not intended to resemble a Scandinavian cross.
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/archives/article/284493

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s a good flag but now looks unfortunately kekistani.

Most municipal flags look like lovely mspaints for corporations in the 90s. Also pretty much all of Japan’s prefectures look like airline logos

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s a good flag but now looks unfortunately kekistani.

Most municipal flags look like lovely mspaints for corporations in the 90s.

In the US, maybe.

Check the flag of my hometown:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Portland flag fixed

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 21, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

From the graphs thread, if anyone here doesn't read that one as well:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pope Hilarius II posted:

In the US, maybe.

Check the flag of my hometown:

Brussels native? Or is that Gent?

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

In case anyone was curious about the results of a recent best flag poll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj-rlikFLLg

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

This looks like it belongs on a red field with a union jack canton as flag of a new canadian province.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Honestly I read the seal as Windsor commiserating with Detroit.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

The motto translates to, "We Hope For Better Things; It Shall Rise From the Ashes". Yeah, keep hoping

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Banana Canada posted:

In case anyone was curious about the results of a recent best flag poll:

Pretty safe choices for the winners. Worst country flags (ignoring minor territories) are Zambia, Haiti, and Belize. The part about most overrated flag is great, though I'm biased toward historical designs like Gran Colombia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Pretty safe choices for the winners. Worst country flags (ignoring minor territories) are Zambia, Haiti, and Belize. The part about most overrated flag is great, though I'm biased toward historical designs like Gran Colombia.
Japan misses its old (war) flag.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Brussels native? Or is that Gent?

It's Ghent. You're thinking of the Brabantian flag, which is the inverse of the Flemish flag:

This is the flag of Brussels, with Saint Michael trampling the Devil:

The Brussels Capital District has its own flag, too, which is oddly French-looking to me due to its fleur-de-lys:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pope Hilarius II posted:

The Brussels Capital District has its own flag, too, which is oddly French-looking to me due to its fleur-de-lys:

They changed it, for the worse, in 2015.

As far as I know, this design was drafted during a procedure to create an icon (not a flag!) for the Brussels-Capital Region on its websites. Unfortunately the legislature did not care about the difference/got confused/I don't know what went wrong and they just voted it in as a new flag.

I once read an article where the designer expressed regret, because if they'd known it would be flown as a flag they would not have picked such garish colours (idea was that they had to be bold and striking even when looking at the icon on a lovely monitor, and also hence the simplification of the fleur de lis design to what is essentially a corporate branding)

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Looks like cum to me tbh

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The path heart is grey. :geno:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Imagine there's somebody wearing a long coat with like the split tails at the end, and no pants, so they're putting up their butt and mooning you in the flag.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Native American flags really run the gamut from more common simplicity to complex, clumsy iconography, and a couple seals as flags in there as well. A lot of them are also pretty young and probably haven't seen wide use.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

Really makes the Oklahoma state flag fit in.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a lot of those have cool and nice looking elements at least. i genuinely like the purple one with the boxes and tree/arrowhead

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a lot of those have cool and nice looking elements at least. i genuinely like the purple one with the boxes and tree/arrowhead

That's the flag of the Haudenosaunee, or Iroquois Confederation. The flag itself only dates to the 80s but it's based on very old symbolism, with the four boxes and central tree representing the five original nations of the Haudenosaunee.

It's cool as balls!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The structure of the Iroquois Confederation is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4gU2Tsv6hY

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That one at least actually does get a lot of use, at least in Ontario

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
With DC statehood on the horizon (I hope), what flags are in the running?

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

The current one polls fairly well amongst all state and territory flags in this follow-up flag survey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KPZuIvKUsA

No big surprises in the rankings IMO.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

With DC statehood on the horizon (I hope), what flags are in the running?

Would the state need a new flag distinct from that of the city? The DC city flag is great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I was actually thinking of the national flag.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Discendo Vox posted:

I was actually thinking of the national flag.

51 is 17 * 3, so three rows each of 8 and 9 stars is probably the neatest way to do it.

e: Someone on Reddit decided to future-proof things for a bit...

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 21, 2021

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

51 is 17 * 3, so three rows each of 8 and 9 stars is probably the neatest way to do it.

e: Someone on Reddit decided to future-proof things for a bit...

I think the ones that are actually grids (54, 60, 63, 66, 70) are pretty ugly; I wonder if anyone else agrees. I can't put my finger on why, but I vastly prefer the other ones, where the stars aren't directly on top of each other.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think the ones that are actually grids (54, 60, 63, 66, 70) are pretty ugly; I wonder if anyone else agrees. I can't put my finger on why, but I vastly prefer the other ones, where the stars aren't directly on top of each other.

You are a crazy person, the 48 star flag is the best the US ever had. I want DC and PR statehood but also the abolition of 4 other states so we can go back to that.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You are a crazy person, the 48 star flag is the best the US ever had. I want DC and PR statehood but also the abolition of 4 other states so we can go back to that.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just looked it up and yeah, honestly I think that looks bad. I don't like the empty "stripes" of blue at the top and bottom of the canton; maybe that's just a matter of how they spaced out the stars, but I think the spacing looks a lot more natural when the rows are alternating between lengths of n and n+1.

Maybe it's just because I grew up with the 50-star flag so it's what I'm used to, like how everyone's favorite pizza place is whatever they got as a kid.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 21, 2021

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Is there any chance they'll use a circular design this time around, or is that too much of a stretch?

ie,

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Is there any chance they'll use a circular design this time around, or is that too much of a stretch?

ie,

That's a good layout

for a clown to use etc etc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Either make a cool design with the stars (not a grid or an offset one) or go back to the horrible original idea of 51 stars and 51 stripes too

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

ie,

Now that's a flag

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Just hire a marketing company to design a fresh new flag. Maybe get a new name as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Old Glory is out, Old Arby's is in