Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

comparing destiny's obtuse progression system thats been mangled by 5 expansions to the outer wilds is a very very silly comparison

When i loaded up Destiny i walked about shooting aliens and having fun. When i loaded up outer wilds i felt anxious, confused, lost and ultimately so bored that i quit the game to read the Wikipedia article about "Snow" because it was more exciting.

Edit: i think the game it reminds me most of is Journey - i can see what its doing that attracts other people but it bores me silly

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It sounds like you're playing Destiny as a single player shooter story mode. To be fair that's probably the best way to play it but it's not how the game wants you to play it. The game is an MMO were you're supposed to grind a bunch of different exp bars and season passes and currencies to unlock raids and fancy guns and etc. If you want to engage with that stuff at all it starts pulling you in 10 different directions at all times once the story ends, so if you're new you'll have no idea which activities matter and which are pointless. It's also worth mentioning that they culled a bunch of content from the base campaign with the last expansion, even if you don't own the expansion, so if you started playing now you'd get a totally disjointed story with no particular pay off rather than the "fine, I guess" tier Red War storyline from when the game launched.

I have fun enough playing it for a week or two after a major expansion launches but I have no idea how people find it worth sticking with for the long haul.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Destiny games were pretty decent and some of the vitriol on these forums for them is unwarranted

Destiny does the basics really, really well. So well that it is extremely frustrating when they make decisions that seemingly sabotage their game like deleting half the game and getting rid of gear for no other reason than to have you grind again cause the new gear is the exact same.

I'd say Destiny is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played because all of the bad things about it were actual dev choices. It's not like other games that might be bad cause of incompetence, like the people who run Destiny just make terrible decisions. That makes it more frustrating than your typical bad game, cause it always feels so close to being good!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Having a hearty lol @ the idea of a developer directly and intentionally deleting loot from player's inventory just so they can make them re-grind the exact same loot.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah I tried to basically play Destiny single player shooter style but after about 30 minutes it starts to make clear that it isn't designed for that at all, only the intro really works that way. Then it gets weird and confusing with all these obstruse online games mechanics where they want you to terminally play the same level over and over for whatever reason, there's weird events everywhere but who cares and all the sudden you're being encouraged to grind fractionally better equipment by doing the same levels and engage with all the multiplayer stuff which just doesn't interest me. Gameplay seemed fine overall, if it was mostly a single player game it could actually be good

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Obtuse online mechanics and grinding is where the monetization is formed.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

destiny only has 2 mechanics: shoot thing and dunk ball. All of that is forced into the same repeatable content thats labeled differently every 3 months. Strikes were better when they weren't repeats of levels, the raids are good, and the only good new thing that was added were the 'dungeons' (shattered throne and pit of heresy). The lore can be confusing and cool at the same time until they start over explaining everything.

edit: also destiny 1's cosmodrome is a good map since it had tons of connectors between each larger area. It made the map feel larger then it was and cool to explore. Destiny 2 maps are a circle and thats it.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 20, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Was destiny the game where someone posted screenshots of how the starter pistol was outperforming lvl500 weapons? Whichever game that was falls squarely within the "I do not trust the devs to make a ham sandwich" bucket, alongside other gems as Stellaris and so forth.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Serephina posted:

Was destiny the game where someone posted screenshots of how the starter pistol was outperforming lvl500 weapons? Whichever game that was falls squarely within the "I do not trust the devs to make a ham sandwich" bucket, alongside other gems as Stellaris and so forth.

That was Bioware's Anthem

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm going to go out on a limb and say that gun XP is dumb as gently caress. games where i shoot a gun should work like Doom :colbert:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
kojima is bad at his job and any fun in his games is despite him not because of him

has he ever given an interview that was about making a game fun to play or gameplay loops or anything like that? It's always about grand concepts that he thinks make him look smart and make his games worse

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Play posted:

Yeah I tried to basically play Destiny single player shooter style but after about 30 minutes it starts to make clear that it isn't designed for that at all, only the intro really works that way. Then it gets weird and confusing with all these obstruse online games mechanics where they want you to terminally play the same level over and over for whatever reason, there's weird events everywhere but who cares and all the sudden you're being encouraged to grind fractionally better equipment by doing the same levels and engage with all the multiplayer stuff which just doesn't interest me. Gameplay seemed fine overall, if it was mostly a single player game it could actually be good

The funny thing is that the equipment you're grinding for with a higher item level isn't even fractionally better
it's exactly the same as your current equipment but with a higher "light level" stat, except ALL THE CONTENT YOU'RE GRINDING IN except like the hardest difficulty on the one weekly Nightfall mission is below the current level cap, so your light level will get get scaled downwards anyways
you're grinding all those daily and weekly "collect 8 bear asses with headshots with a fire-damage wepaon" timewaster quests for new gear that doesn't t even make you stronger

Vakal
May 11, 2008

feelix posted:

kojima is bad at his job and any fun in his games is despite him not because of him

has he ever given an interview that was about making a game fun to play or gameplay loops or anything like that? It's always about grand concepts that he thinks make him look smart and make his games worse

Kojima would be better if he just reigned himself in a little during the planning phases.

For example:

- Introduce bi-pedal tanks that can support infantry with their high mobility - Great idea.

- Give these walking tanks realistic style legs made out of synthetic muscles, thus blurring the line between machine and organic - Also a great idea.

- Make them moo and poop like cows. - Whoops, one step too far.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vakal posted:

Kojima would be better if he just reigned himself in a little during the planning phases.

For example:

- Introduce bi-pedal tanks that can support infantry with their high mobility - Great idea.

- Give these walking tanks realistic style legs made out of synthetic muscles, thus blurring the line between machine and organic - Also a great idea.

Disagree. He needs to take it a step farther: you can milk the tanks.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
between cyberpunk 2077 releasing in a blatantly unfinished state and IO Interactives fuckup with the importing of Hitman 1 and 2 levels in Hitman 3 theres has never been a better time to tell people who play videogames not to rush out and buy things day 1

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

feelix posted:

Only Kojima could come up with such groundbreaking creative writing such as

- A blonde woman in a red dress singing spookily
- A female lead who is the abused partner of the baddie
- Smart British guy???
- Comic relief fat guy?????
- gently caress Hollywood forever

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Vakal posted:

For example:

Strategic Tea posted:

Only Kojima could come up with such groundbreaking creative writing such as

- A blonde woman in a red dress singing spookily
- A female lead who is the abused partner of the baddie
- Smart British guy???
- Comic relief fat guy?????
- gently caress Hollywood forever

Yeah see none of these things have anything to do with making a game that people play

I get the distinct impression that he's like Elon Musk -- a megalomaniac ideas guy that has some very good peoe working in his shadow that make him look good despite himself

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

its_my_birthday posted:

I'd say Destiny is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played because all of the bad things about it were actual dev choices. It's not like other games that might be bad cause of incompetence, like the people who run Destiny just make terrible decisions. That makes it more frustrating than your typical bad game, cause it always feels so close to being good!

Did you play BFV? You'd have loved it.

UO: Getting some new Zelda OoT beta dumps is more exciting than all the 2020 game releases.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 21, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Can someone tell me if it's worth learning how to play Alpha Centauri? 4x is one of my favorite genres, and this game wouldn't be beyond me, but this seems really complicated and like it's going to take some time to learn.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Can someone tell me if it's worth learning how to play Alpha Centauri? 4x is one of my favorite genres, and this game wouldn't be beyond me, but this seems really complicated and like it's going to take some time to learn.

yes

longer answer: yeeeeessssssssss

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven't played it for a while but the last time I did its because Civ: Beyond Earth sucked poo poo and I immediately went and picked it up on gog to clense my palate. It holds up pretty drat well from my memory of that. I might fire it up again.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Civ: Beyond Earth is a strange spinoff of the Civ series and I like it for that alone. It's like if you ever get burned out of Civ5 but want more (strange, I know) then Beyond Earth is there for you.

Unpopular opinion: I hated Civ6 because the whole district feature retracts the "expand" part of 4X which is the compelling part for me.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Beyond Earth was super disappointing because it was not different enough from regular civ to justify existing. Also all the factions were boring

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Beyond Earth has some interesting design and I like what they did with the semi-asymmetric tech development and such but the core gameplay loop just isn't that much fun and the mechanics sometimes barely work, as well as the AI being still broken.

A real pity especially since it has some great ideas, like pretty much all the victory conditions require big obvious setups that basically set up a 'ATTACK THIS' signal so you actually have a reason to use all your endgame military units.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

feelix posted:

Yeah see none of these things have anything to do with making a game that people play

I get the distinct impression that he's like Elon Musk -- a megalomaniac ideas guy that has some very good peoe working in his shadow that make him look good despite himself

I can't claim to have any idea how things work on his teams but every Kojima game I've played has been highly fun and innovative from a gameplay perspective, in a way that I don't think you'd get if the creative lead didn't care deeply about making a fun-rear end game. Maybe he has nothing to do with that and actually spends 100% of his time coming up with skimpy female outfits and weird making GBS threads robots, but if so, then he does a good job finding competent designers and giving them the creative control to make good games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The funny thing is that the equipment you're grinding for with a higher item level isn't even fractionally better
it's exactly the same as your current equipment but with a higher "light level" stat, except ALL THE CONTENT YOU'RE GRINDING IN except like the hardest difficulty on the one weekly Nightfall mission is below the current level cap, so your light level will get get scaled downwards anyways
you're grinding all those daily and weekly "collect 8 bear asses with headshots with a fire-damage wepaon" timewaster quests for new gear that doesn't t even make you stronger

whats the point of gaining levels if they just scale the enemies to your level. just make Doom, no levels ups and no scaling needed

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They should make more FPSs with cool weapons and linear story campaigns. Anyone play Resistance 3? I loved that game. The pistol let you detonate the bullets after you shot the bad guys. It was made by the Ratchet and Clank guys and they put their creativity into the weapons of that game too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Resistance games are different to the Killzone games right? My friend had both on the ps3 and if i closed my eyes for 30 seconds i wouldn't notice him change the game lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Resistance games are different to the Killzone games right? My friend had both on the ps3 and if i closed my eyes for 30 seconds i wouldn't notice him change the game lol

They're different. Neither one was great, I think I'd give the edge to resistance because the guns were more interesting.

Killzone is transplanting WWII imagery to future space war
Resistance is about turning WWII into an alien invasion with weird science guns story

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
The excessive fatalities is the weakest aspect of Mortal Kombat.
It was cute at first due to the simple mo-cap animations but it's a relic of the 90s when everything was edgy and in-your-face.

No one ever dies in that franchise either, unless they become a ghost or some poo poo.

Actually I take that back, the writing is the weakest aspect of Mortal Kombat but no one ever plays MK for the story.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Barudak posted:

They're different. Neither one was great, I think I'd give the edge to resistance because the guns were more interesting.

Killzone is transplanting WWII imagery to future space war
Resistance is about turning WWII into an alien invasion with weird science guns story

Thanks Baraduk but ill be honest this doesn't help me make a distinction.

My pal had a massive bust of a soldier with a gas mask on for one of them though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Thanks Baraduk but ill be honest this doesn't help me make a distinction.

My pal had a massive bust of a soldier with a gas mask on for one of them though

Was the soldier in black armor and eyes glowing red? If so Killzone if not Resistance.

Killzone 1 is such a bad game Im still astounded sony wanted another one

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I didn't play Resistance 1 or 2 but 3 was an awesome linear level based campaign with awesome guns that was reminiscent of Half Life 2 but without the gimmick levels and with some really meaty gimmicky guns. Campaign only FPSs are great, they don't have to balance the guns into boring machine guns and SMGs and snipers and instead can have some wacky poo poo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

between cyberpunk 2077 releasing in a blatantly unfinished state and IO Interactives fuckup with the importing of Hitman 1 and 2 levels in Hitman 3 theres has never been a better time to tell people who play videogames not to rush out and buy things day 1

The bumpy hitman 3 launch has been overblown. Importing was broken for a few hours but is now fixed (and this really only means a few of your unlocked tools/guns/costumes will be available in hitman 3 and isn't related to importing the levels). Epic/ioi have both reassured everyone that nobody who owns 1/2 on steam will have to buy them again on epic but that this will take a little longer to do. There's nothing about this stopping you from playing Hitman 3, which is excellent and constitutes another layer of polish and performance over hitman 2, unless you were really dead set on playing the first two games in the Hitman 3 engine first.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 21, 2021

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Avirosb posted:

The excessive fatalities is the weakest aspect of Mortal Kombat.
It was cute at first due to the simple mo-cap animations but it's a relic of the 90s when everything was edgy and in-your-face.

No one ever dies in that franchise either, unless they become a ghost or some poo poo.

Actually I take that back, the writing is the weakest aspect of Mortal Kombat but no one ever plays MK for the story.

When I was a kid I thought Mortal Kombat had the best story setup - a recurring tournament that decided the fate of universes was both epic and gave a good reason for the 1v1 battles. You could have all sorts of wrestling style grudge matches and behind the scenes drama take place. Instead only MK1 & 2 feature the actual Mortal Kombat tournament and the rest of the games just make zero sense why everyone is fighting 1v1 best out of 3 matches. It's a complete waste of a setting.

In fact I'm going to say fighting games in general make way too little use of wrestling tournament style story telling in favor of generic game stories with 1v1s thrown in.

And the new brutalities are better than fatalities except for the name. They should just call brutalities fatalities and get rid of the long animation fatalities at this point.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Barudak posted:

Was the soldier in black armor and eyes glowing red? If so Killzone if not Resistance.

Killzone 1 is such a bad game Im still astounded sony wanted another one

Yes definitly red eyes!

I think it maybe came with a gun which you could plug the ps3 controller in or some dumb poo poo?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

poverty goat posted:

The bumpy hitman 3 launch has been overblown. Importing was broken for a few hours but is now fixed (and this really only means a few of your unlocked tools/guns/costumes will be available in hitman 3 and isn't related to importing the levels). Epic/ioi have both reassured everyone that nobody who owns 1/2 on steam will have to buy them again on epic but that this will take a little longer to do. There's nothing about this stopping you from playing Hitman 3, which is excellent and constitutes another layer of polish and performance over hitman 2, unless you were really dead set on playing the first two games in the Hitman 3 engine first.

I still have hitman 2 to finish so thankfully i dont have to pay full price day one just to get burned my lazy developers lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yes definitly red eyes!

I think it maybe came with a gun which you could plug the ps3 controller in or some dumb poo poo?

Im pretty sure that was Killzone 2 and the statue came with a plug or something but I refuse to think anymore about a game at the time of playing it I was forgetting things about