Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

When did details about the 3a and 4a start up? I've had a 3a basically since launch (free with trade in of my Pixel 1XL) and it's fine but I wouldn't mind a phone with more screen space, so I was thinking I'd get a 5a but I'm actually wondering if they're not doing that this cycle since the 5 isn't top of the line and they already have the regular and 5G versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
A Fire 10 HD dropped into my lap. Wipe and load Android on it or is it decent enough on it’s own?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Irritated Goat posted:

A Fire 10 HD dropped into my lap. Wipe and load Android on it or is it decent enough on it’s own?

Wiping and loading Android on it just gives Google a good look at your data and metrics, keeping FireOS on there lets Bezos take a peek as well.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Seems like LG has noticed that no one is recommending most of their phones anymore. Not sure how I feel about that--on one hand, yeah, LG phones are usually nowhere near leading the pack. On the other hand, they've tried some interesting stuff that others haven't bothered with, and further contraction in the industry doesn't bode well for prices going forward.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Irritated Goat posted:

What do you want to use it for? If it's purely streaming video consumption I'd just leave it as is.

The screens on those are crazy good for the money. Fine Netflix device.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DrDork posted:

Seems like LG has noticed that no one is recommending most of their phones anymore. Not sure how I feel about that--on one hand, yeah, LG phones are usually nowhere near leading the pack. On the other hand, they've tried some interesting stuff that others haven't bothered with, and further contraction in the industry doesn't bode well for prices going forward.

They still sell in the low end market, but their reputation has been mud ever since the boot loop fiasco in the high end (multiple phones over multiple years).
And while their build quality and specs since the G7 hasn't been any worse than Samsung, the asking price is nearly as high while LG's resale value is worse than trading in last year's Pixel to Google.
This is in addition to LG typically not giving a gently caress about OS updates after the first year, and everyone knows it. They might actually be worse about it than Xiaomi or Asus.
Their camera image processing is worse than OnePlus', and that swivel bullshit model that recently came out is a monument to wasteful design.
To be honest, I really think they had something with the G8X and having a phone case that doubled as a second screen. I can't stand folio cases, but I would totally use one of those for Discord/etc. while doing other poo poo. And it's guaranteed more durable than the Fold or Flip.

Some say they're willing to experiment, I call it bad management and an utter lack of cohesive design vision; one desperate gimmick after another to not look like Samsung's hasbeen rival.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 21, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Some say they're willing to experiment, I call it bad management and an utter lack of cohesive design vision; one desperate gimmick after another to not look like Samsung's hasbeen rival.

I don't disagree with you much on this: a lot of their experiments have been misses, rather than hits.

In years gone by, I actually liked their Vxx series because the camera was not only good, but it actually exposed a lot of photography controls that others did not (locking focal plane, exposure stepping, etc). But these days they're just roundly behind Google/Apple/Samsung/OnePlus and aren't cheap enough on the mid/high end to make a good case for themselves.

The price point also seems to be something they could avoid--they've often had silly rebates and other deals, and while I know the take rate on rebates is well below 50%, I can't help but imagine that instead of offering an $800 phone with a $300 rebate, they'd be better off just selling the phone at $650 to start with and skip the rebate shenanigans.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Twerk from Home posted:

What do you want to use it for? If it's purely streaming video consumption I'd just leave it as is.

The screens on those are crazy good for the money. Fine Netflix device.

Reading and video consumption. Some mobile games on occasion.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DrDork posted:

I don't disagree with you much on this: a lot of their experiments have been misses, rather than hits.

In years gone by, I actually liked their Vxx series because the camera was not only good, but it actually exposed a lot of photography controls that others did not (locking focal plane, exposure stepping, etc). But these days they're just roundly behind Google/Apple/Samsung/OnePlus and aren't cheap enough on the mid/high end to make a good case for themselves.

The price point also seems to be something they could avoid--they've often had silly rebates and other deals, and while I know the take rate on rebates is well below 50%, I can't help but imagine that instead of offering an $800 phone with a $300 rebate, they'd be better off just selling the phone at $650 to start with and skip the rebate shenanigans.

The V series was a good idea, and it's a shame they didn't push it; Video Consumption, Video Creation, Vlogging, Video Games, and a proper DAC. I think the only channel that ever liked the series were the Pocketnow people.
It could have been a great foil to the Note; "Samsung is all business, we're all about fun. Life's Good,"
* LG logo *

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 21, 2021

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

"hey google, forget whatever signal made you think showing me this was a good idea"

I am single. I am not planning to have children. And also I am male. Lately most of the articles it's shown me are about cool archaeological discoveries, cute animals, video games, and the guitarist of Iced Earth facing charges as a result of participating in the insurrection in DC. It has its fixations, but this is the single least appropriate article it's ever shown me. I am in awe.

It's kind of hard to articulate to people who don't know me, but suffice it to say that when I sent that screenshot to my mother she replied with "looooooololololol"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been mostly getting politics and New Vegas articles, which is on point, but I got one yesterday about a 24 year old socialite/fashionista dying of an overdose. While I am sorry someone so young lost their life, Google thinking I care about gossip and/or fashion is hilarious.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I keep telling Apple's News app I don't give a poo poo about those and block pretty much every gossip rag, but sadly that doesn't stop the BBC from making it half their content. :(

Blue Footed Booby posted:

and the guitarist of Iced Earth facing charges as a result of participating in the insurrection in DC.

As a Blind Guardian fan, I was very disappointed in this news (due to their Demons & Wizards album collaborations over the years). :sigh:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There was a period around the events in Ferguson and Dallas where a bunch of us had our feeds inexplicably filled with like completely unknown cookie cutter hard-right racism blogs so, count your blessings.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Uthor posted:

I've been mostly getting politics and New Vegas articles, which is on point, but I got one yesterday about a 24 year old socialite/fashionista dying of an overdose. While I am sorry someone so young lost their life, Google thinking I care about gossip and/or fashion is hilarious.

Yeah, I got the same one (presumably). I think it's probably less Google suddenly thinking the lot of us nerds are interested in some rando socialite specifically, as it somehow hitting some general interest marks with high enough engagement that Google figured it was worth sharing with basically everyone.

The kid from an affair part, I dunno. Maybe Google knows more about you and your relationships than you think? I seem to remember someone--Target?--getting yelled at for mailing women coupons for baby stuff because their tracking algorithm was figuring out when women were pregnant before some of them actually knew.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DrDork posted:

Yeah, I got the same one (presumably). I think it's probably less Google suddenly thinking the lot of us nerds are interested in some rando socialite specifically, as it somehow hitting some general interest marks with high enough engagement that Google figured it was worth sharing with basically everyone.

The kid from an affair part, I dunno. Maybe Google knows more about you and your relationships than you think? I seem to remember someone--Target?--getting yelled at for mailing women coupons for baby stuff because their tracking algorithm was figuring out when women were pregnant before some of them actually knew.

I thought that was Facebook, but yeah, I remember that one.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That was Target, and idk if this is how it actually was, but I've always remembered that story as being slightly overblown at least wrt the tech angle if not the actual privacy implications -- it wasn't that The Algorithms noticed a small but telling change in the teenage girl's purchasing habits that signified pregnancy before she was even aware of it; it was that she learned she was pregnant and, before informing her parents, started searching for like prenatal vitamins or maternity clothes, items that explicitly indicated the shopper was pregnant (or shopping for someone who was), and Target's marketing systems had failed to tag that as information you might not want to be indiscreet about when you're mailing coupons to someone's home.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My feed is an easy 50% Breath of the Wild, 25% the sports I follow, 15% interesting science stuff that I must've read an article about at random, and 10% absolutely crazy stuff that I normally wouldn't interact with.

I assume the 10% is about 4/5ths things where I read an article about Movie A and get news about Actor 1 who was in that movie. Stuff where the tag is a degree of relevance away from what I was reading. That last 2% is stuff I figure they're throwing at me because they don't know one way or the other and want to see if I'll bite.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I will say this about the Google feed, it actually doesn't pick up on my work stuff working from home where it seems like every other ad tracking stuff does.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Khablam posted:

It's "just running beta software things". It's functionally nearly impossible to be accidentally running the beta, or any build that wasn't an OTA update from your carrier. I assume one of us doesn't have the complete picture here.

That's the thing, though - we were running the beta by accident, and it was a beta that doesn't even officially exist. Thus the confusion.

As for google now, it's actually fairly decent, apart from being strangely UK-focused. I guess that's just a side effect of trying to find English-language European content? Super hipster (heavy on the coffee, cameras and laptops), but that's probably my fault.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

You can download this tool to debloat, used it on my HD 8 and it had quite a noticeable performance increase once I removed all the poo poo I'll never use
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/windows-tool-fire-toolbox-v11-0.3889604/

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

"hey google, forget whatever signal made you think showing me this was a good idea"

I am single. I am not planning to have children. And also I am male. Lately most of the articles it's shown me are about cool archaeological discoveries, cute animals, video games, and the guitarist of Iced Earth facing charges as a result of participating in the insurrection in DC. It has its fixations, but this is the single least appropriate article it's ever shown me. I am in awe.

It's kind of hard to articulate to people who don't know me, but suffice it to say that when I sent that screenshot to my mother she replied with "looooooololololol"

I might be able to top that. For a while, I was getting what I'm calling the "thigh gap series" which was some terrible tabloid writing an article whenever some celebrity posted an Instagram picture of them without pants. I've never been to a tabloid website in my entire life and I could not possibly care any less about celebrity culture or thigh gaps, which I wasn't really aware was a thing until this started happening. It happened a handful of times until they finally got the idea I wasn't interested. The articles were all exactly like this. It had a particular obsession with Kelly Ripa, who I had to Google to find out who she was.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 21, 2021

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Grumpwagon posted:

I might be able to top that. For a while, I was getting what I'm calling the "thigh gap series" which was some terrible tabloid writing an article whenever some celebrity posted an Instagram picture of them without pants. I've never been to a tabloid website in my entire life and I could not possibly care any less about celebrity culture or thigh gaps, which I wasn't really aware was a thing until this started happening. It happened a handful of times until they finally got the idea I wasn't interested. The articles were all exactly like this. It had a particular obsession with Kelly Ripa, who I had to Google to find out who she was.

I got this too. Just endless photos of Nastia Liukin. All of a sudden it just stopped, and I was back to articles about Animal Crossing and woodworking.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

The Human Cow posted:

I got this too. Just endless photos of Nastia Liukin. All of a sudden it just stopped, and I was back to articles about Animal Crossing and woodworking.

Sounds like someone's buying ad space / impressions with poorly targeted demographic settings. Like, "show to all men age 18-65" broad.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Grumpwagon posted:

Wow, not even gonna post the article link?!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Grumpwagon posted:

I could not possibly care any less about thigh gaps

Kelly Ripa, who I had to Google to find out who she was.
See, they got you.

And sure. Sure you don't.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

XIII posted:

Wow, not even gonna post the article link?!

You can Google it :v:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

You can Google it :v:

that's_bait.gif

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Have an S20+, moving onto the S21 ultra. Samsung has had a pretty good streak with their flagships, even though last year's ultra wasn't too hot.
The S20+ was my first experience with 120hz, and there's no going back. The resolution trade off was overblown, the battery life was great and so were the cameras. Didn't have any physical issues with the phone (looks like that's a rare thing with some other budget flagships.)
Storage wise, I managed to use 70gb, don't need anything more than 128gb since I pay the whopping 1 dollar a month fee for Google photos.
I'll post my impressions of the ultra when I get it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

sharkytm posted:

See, they got you.

And sure. Sure you don't.

I mean, I am a heterosexual male, so I'm not unfamiliar with the concept, but I didn't know the term or that it was a thing that was written about.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CoolRanch posted:

Have an S20+, moving onto the S21 ultra. Samsung has had a pretty good streak with their flagships, even though last year's ultra wasn't too hot.
The S20+ was my first experience with 120hz, and there's no going back. The resolution trade off was overblown, the battery life was great and so were the cameras. Didn't have any physical issues with the phone (looks like that's a rare thing with some other budget flagships.)
Storage wise, I managed to use 70gb, don't need anything more than 128gb since I pay the whopping 1 dollar a month fee for Google photos.
I'll post my impressions of the ultra when I get it.

I'll have mine in about 10 hours. :kiddo: Two hours if I didn't have to work. Nice to see there's at least one other goon that has been impressed with Samsung lately.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

Both my wife and I got this too but here's the thing, we both love and follow women's gymnastics so we assumed it was relevant :v:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
my feed is pretty much worthless. i use the "not interested" option under the 3 dots a lot and just checked, i have 24 pages (on a pixel 5) of things that i'm not interested in, and google still manages to find new things that i don't care about. it will give me local news stories from places nowhere near me. for a while i was getting a lot of stories from india, and now i'm getting from sweden for some reason (i'm in kansas). there's not a good way to hide them other than to block the publication entirely. maybe i just hate everything

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

butt dickus posted:

my feed is pretty much worthless. i use the "not interested" option under the 3 dots a lot and just checked, i have 24 pages (on a pixel 5) of things that i'm not interested in, and google still manages to find new things that i don't care about. it will give me local news stories from places nowhere near me. for a while i was getting a lot of stories from india, and now i'm getting from sweden for some reason (i'm in kansas). there's not a good way to hide them other than to block the publication entirely. maybe i just hate everything

I just want to teach Google's algorithm the hard way that I'm only interested in things I'm already subbed to. :getin:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If only they had an app that aggregated updates from sources around the web using a open system that everyone was on board for.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

butt dickus posted:

i have 24 pages (on a pixel 5) of things that i'm not interested in,

Where do you actually find this? I'm curious to see how long my list is, because I've been doing this for years now. :bahgawd:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

I just want to teach Google's algorithm the hard way that I'm only interested in things I'm already subbed to. :getin:
it's been a while since i've seen it but i remember there was a list of interests i could select from and absolutely none of them interested me

Mister Facetious posted:

Where do you actually find this? I'm curious to see how long my list is, because I've been doing this for years now. :bahgawd:
3 dots on any of the items, manage interests, hidden

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Looks like it will let me delete all of it but not view it per item. Or at least, I'm too afraid to hit the Delete button and find out:

Learn more just shows you how to "Not interested" a channel in the first place.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i'm talking about the feed to the left of the homescreen, not youtube

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Just do a couple of searches for expensive vacation destinations, private jet cards, multiaxis cnc machines, etc. Your feed and ads will be more fun for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

it's been a while since i've seen it but i remember there was a list of interests i could select from and absolutely none of them interested me

This does beg the question, do not read anything on the internet or when you do so are you blocking Google resources?