Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

What are you, :cumpolice:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Hadn't seen this posted before, but might've missed it last August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4EIYQ6fkG4

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Several levels of stuntin' the end is :allears:

https://twitter.com/to58550/status/1351359376821424129?s=19

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Oh, I see, that's a safety factor. When you lower the tractor, if you crash your load will fly over you.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
It does look kinda cool. I mean the suspension is probably hosed with that much lowering going on, but I like the idea of a low to the ground 2 wheel drive dually for hauling. 4 wheel drive and dual rear wheels are contrasting features, they just don't mix together well. Semi trucks have dual rear wheels, they have 2 sets of dual rear wheels to be allow more traction and stability. Semi trucks don't have 4 wheel drive (or 6 wheel drive if you want to be anal) or high ground clearance, so a proper towing pickup should also be 2 wheel drive, and without a lift kit.

If anything, the biggest problem I have with that truck is simply the fact that it's a Ford towing 2 GM products. Where is the owner's brand loyalty? I consider Fords less expensive, working vehicles, GMs are more expensive and more luxurious, and Dodge is just the 3rd wheel for race car drivers or Cummins enthusiasts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

4 wheel drive and dual rear wheels are contrasting features, they just don't mix together well.

What? Like seriously, I don't want to tow things a pickup can tow without 4 wheel drive because fuckin a going over a rise at your destination and having the back end get too light to move anymore sucks rear end. Whether that's your RV, your race trailer, etc.......

Over the road trucks have different expectations where they go dock to dock. It's all tarmac so wahtever.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Also there are plenty of semis with 6 wheel drive :psyduck:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Not Wolverine posted:

4 wheel drive and dual rear wheels are contrasting features, they just don't mix together well.

Duallys get stuck easy as hell duder

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Not Wolverine posted:

It does look kinda cool. I mean the suspension is probably hosed with that much lowering going on, but I like the idea of a low to the ground 2 wheel drive dually for hauling. 4 wheel drive and dual rear wheels are contrasting features, they just don't mix together well. Semi trucks have dual rear wheels, they have 2 sets of dual rear wheels to be allow more traction and stability. Semi trucks don't have 4 wheel drive (or 6 wheel drive if you want to be anal) or high ground clearance, so a proper towing pickup should also be 2 wheel drive, and without a lift kit.

If anything, the biggest problem I have with that truck is simply the fact that it's a Ford towing 2 GM products. Where is the owner's brand loyalty? I consider Fords less expensive, working vehicles, GMs are more expensive and more luxurious, and Dodge is just the 3rd wheel for race car drivers or Cummins enthusiasts.

To add to the pile, duallies are for weight hauling generally, rather than stability or grip. You double up the wheels to allow the truck to haul more weight back there, without just squashing the poo poo out of two wheels, double them up and have four!

To import (heh) from another thread, this is used to great effect in Japan:

The rear wheels are smaller in order to get a flat floor for the bed, but they double them up so the weight hauling doesn't go down. This is a 1250kg bed weight truck with 12 inch rear wheels. There are four of them though so it's all good.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

What? Like seriously, I don't want to tow things a pickup can tow without 4 wheel drive because fuckin a going over a rise at your destination and having the back end get too light to move anymore sucks rear end. Whether that's your RV, your race trailer, etc.......

Over the road trucks have different expectations where they go dock to dock. It's all tarmac so wahtever.
You are correct, but I have a couple counter points. First, I think a dually is worse than a non dually for like extreme off roading. I have heard people say duallys perform worse in mud since the tires don't sink through the mud to get down to dry dirt below the mud, I'm not sure if that is actually true. But I do think a dually might be worse for rock crawling where you need as much clearance as possible. You are correct about humps, and that is exactly why semi trucks can engage both rear axles but normally don't. Similarly, OTR trucks are tarmac queens, and I think that is a safe assumption to make about most "mall crawler" pickups, especially if they are exclusively used for towing or hauling.

KakerMix posted:

To add to the pile, duallies are for weight hauling generally, rather than stability or grip. You double up the wheels to allow the truck to haul more weight back there, without just squashing the poo poo out of two wheels, double them up and have four!

To import (heh) from another thread, this is used to great effect in Japan:

The rear wheels are smaller in order to get a flat floor for the bed, but they double them up so the weight hauling doesn't go down. This is a 1250kg bed weight truck with 12 inch rear wheels. There are four of them though so it's all good.
As far as stability, I have some anecdotal evidence to share. My Dad's first pickup (that I remember) was a '97 Ram 2500. He towed an enclosed car hauling trailer a lot, it was a two axle bumper pull trailer long enough to load a suburban and it was often overloaded. This trailer bent the stock hitch during a panic stop after he upgraded to a 2007 Ram 3500 dually. The reason he decided to upgrade was because he was in a trip, with a friend who had a dually. He was towing his trailer, over loaded to hell, and for whatever reason he decided to let try towing the trailer with his friend's pickup- a similar vintage Ford dually. This happened in Kansas, where the roads are flat and straight for miles, traffic is minimal, and a normal day involves a "high wind advisory". In these towing conditions, the SRW pickup sucks, the trailer will jerk the pickup around like a toy with every single gust of wind. With the dually, the trailer became unnoticeable. On the exact same road, with the same trailer, same load, same day, the SRW pickup was a tossed around like a toy by the trailers but the dually was completely in control.

That is why my Dad finally upgraded to his first dually, after a life long of hate for duallys "getting stuck to easy" or just plain costing more to replace all the tires. You might be thinking it was all in the suspension, to that I have another story. My Dad wanted to upgrade his suspension and axles, so he went to a dealer to ask about having larger 3500 axles installed, they said "absolutely!" Then the tech came back, he said "your pickup is a 2500 heavy duty. It already has the 3500 axles and springs."

Tldr, I don't know the exact science, but in my experience, I can say that towing a trailer with a dually is infinitely more stable than a single rear wheel pickup. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've offered my explanation and I'm open to counter arguments. This was on my Dad's pickup and trailer, he did most of the driving, but I also did a lot of the driving too. I have driven his SRW pickup to Canada and back with a trailer and many, many other trips. Despite my towing experience, I still can't back a trailer if my life depended on it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Whats that last one, dual cab + longest bed?
I want that

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Erulisse posted:

Whats that last one, dual cab + longest bed?
I want that

Enjoy: https://inventory.gasmonkeygarage.com/vehicles/8/1992-chevrolet-crew-cab-dually

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

You are correct, but I have a couple counter points. First, I think a dually is worse than a non dually for like extreme off roading. I have heard people say duallys perform worse in mud since the tires don't sink through the mud to get down to dry dirt below the mud, I'm not sure if that is actually true. But I do think a dually might be worse for rock crawling where you need as much clearance as possible. You are correct about humps, and that is exactly why semi trucks can engage both rear axles but normally don't. Similarly, OTR trucks are tarmac queens, and I think that is a safe assumption to make about most "mall crawler" pickups, especially if they are exclusively used for towing or hauling.

I've read this like 4 times and can't make heads of tails of it. At first it seems like you don't understand the 4 wheel drive is and can be used for more than "extreme off roading", but no....you seem to get that. Then there's this weird part about rock crawling and muddin in a dually, then you go on to say what everyone else already responded to your incorrect statement and finish up with a nod to mall crawlers.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You're trying to blanketcase like 2 very different classes of trucks used in like 4 different areas.

A likely overloaded class 2 truck pulling with its bumper is hardly the bar for defining what configuration of tires tows better. Bumper pull is for the birds and yeah of course anything srw is gonna feel like it has a case of mud butt with a big rear end trailer. Even a drw bumper pull can get a bad case of the drifts with enough trailer.
Want to move big dumb poo poo? get a 5th wheel/kingpin.

4wd/awd and tow vehicles comes in handy every time there's a little wet grass or another scary thing called topography. There's always that one person that gets stuck with their 2wd tow vehicle where they would have been a ok if if the vehicle had just one or two more driven wheels. Wide, long, and low with some big stupid heavy load in inclement weather? asking for a towbill.

In general drw/srw:
Duals give you additional stability and load capacity for moving heavy loads. As a downside, there are fewer tractionable tires for mudding in your sister's back forty. dual tires, redundancy to limp to town when one blows. when one blows, the other is almost certainly overloaded. ;)
Single rear wheel gives you a narrower footprint and significantly more tire options. Lower carrying capacity, "less stability".
Enter the super single. Supersingles are the new (20 year old) trend in trucking and slowly coming to medium duty trucks used in fire/emergency services. With fewer tires, reduced rolling resistance, better fuel economy. Downside is loss of redundancy in the event of a tire failure. Class 6-8 has some good knobby options (Did you just miss all the Dakar posts like a page back?), class 3-5 does too.

Class 2-5?
Full size and rock crawling is asking for body damage. Full size on 31" pizza cutter dually tires to go rock crawling is an even worse idea. Rock crawling your tow vehicle is the worst of ideas as the two use polar opposite suspension configurations.

With the class 2-3 the truck's setup is more important than the class of the truck itself. The big 3 American companies do a bit of parts binning between diesel class 2 and 3 trucks. A class 3 might be on class 2 springs, a class 2 might be on class 3 axles, others might have class 4 parts, etc. Class 4-8 are pretty similar across the board with respect to their weight class.

With class 4-5:
19.5s are not really off road worthy, nor do they have many real offroad tire options(Toyo M-608Z). This is where the supersingle comes into play for the class 4-5 trucks. ( 1st attack, MPT80/81, etc. )
4wd is less common in these classes though very nice to have as they get stuck loving easy. Heavy duty suspensions, low profile and narrow tires optimized for maximum capacity.

Class 8 OTR trucks don't "go offroad" so why carry the extra 4-7 thousand pounds of equipment required to drive the front axle? Almost all tandem axle OTR tractors have the option to drive both rear axles. They can also be optioned with air lockers in each differential.
class 6-8:
There are 2-3 North American companies that provide upfit for class 6-8 trucks to awd/"6wd". The clearest more obvious contender here is M939. Its built on class 8 hardware using Rockwell parts.
The Stevenson M1078 is in this range too with offerings from Allison. There are numerous civilian trucks in this range FL60/70, kodiak, etc that are upfitted for the intended market with 4wd. (ie: power company service trucks, well drillers, septic tank haulers, etc). The civilian variants are not common.
Supersingle "off road" tires here are the Michilin XL, XZL, XML.

2wd here is common, and fine. You can get by with a locker, but do be aware that 80klb is no crawler and these fuckers have no problem generating a 5 figure tow bill.
Want to know what a bad day looks like? it's a loaded 9 yard mixer buried up to its frame and a Mack R series with a tow body isn't budging it even with the anchors down and the front axle several feet in the air.
A slightly less bad day is watching your powered tandems drift across an icy I80 at 3mph with 35,000lb pushing down on them.

This is a silly derail with a huge wall of words. have some dirt toys.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 20, 2021

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Moral of the story is that lowered trucks on bags loving rock and I'm sure you will agree if you have ever tried to use a newer 3/4 ton+ truck in the past 10 years in the way they are intended.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

This is absolutely a thing a beauty.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I don't know which thread this goes in but the Vargas brothers (Angel motorsports on youtube) are beginning work on this insane 80s 4 rotor... with eight tires. They're going to modernize it a bit and get it running. Their video intro is loud fyi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwRHk7feW0w

How's it turn? Oh.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 21, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I remember seeing images of this car a long time ago and I'm happy it's getting some love finally. loving Batmobile lookin'-rear end

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The origin story on that one is rather sad. The builder would have fit right in here in AI. It is nice to see that it finally may be completed. I think it's completion was a condition of sale when SpeedyCop purchased it from the builders parent(s).

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Lowered trucks towing lowered trucks you say?

Or how about lowered trucks towing lifted trucks

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Rexxed posted:

How's it turn? Oh.

I read somewhere that a few teams in F1 were once upon a time experimenting with six-wheel designs; the league found it was such an unfair advantage in cornering that they outlawed it. Is there any truth to this, and can anyone elaborate on the physics involved?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Mister Speaker posted:

I read somewhere that a few teams in F1 were once upon a time experimenting with six-wheel designs; the league found it was such an unfair advantage in cornering that they outlawed it. Is there any truth to this, and can anyone elaborate on the physics involved?

Someone here needs to look up the Tyrrell P34.

Mostly because I'm on mobile, otherwise I'd have links and stuff

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I gotchu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrell_P34

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mobby_6kl posted:

What are you, :cumpolice:?

The Jizzstapo

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Dr.Smasher posted:

Someone here needs to look up the Tyrrell P34.

Mostly because I'm on mobile, otherwise I'd have links and stuff

I almost broke the P34 at Goodwood one year.

I was taking photos of a brace of Porsche 917s in the pits doing some cool-down stuff at the end of a run. Took a step back to get the 917s in frame. Took another step back... and something brushed against my ankle.

Turned round to look, and i'd almost stepped backwards onto the front wing of the P34 - it was sticking out of its pit opposite the Porsches 😬

(Go to FOS, it's amazing)

meltie fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 21, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

This is a silly derail with a huge wall of words. have some dirt toys.

Hold up. Is that a 4-door Bronco?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Hold up. Is that a 4-door Bronco?

Probably an F350/Bronco conversion by Centurion. They were pretty sweet. We had a diesel one as our rapid response paramedic rig back in the day.

(N/A diesel, so you just put the accelerator to the carpet in the bay and kept it there until a few feet before you got to the call.)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Its a centurion 350. Predecessor to the excursion using a quad cab 350 and the back 40 of a bronco meshed together with most of the bondo in north america.

This particular piece of poo poo is on radius arms with coilovers, no stock C350 could articulate like that. The photo iirc is from pirate4x4, and vaguely recall it being used as the 4wd limo of JohnsonValley OHV.

The cruiser has been posted in this forum before.

And some other good weird poo poo.

Gaz M72

UAZ-452 "Bukhanka"

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 21, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wish they could have combined it with the BT46 fan car.

Also wasn't there a Lotus (?) that was basically a chassis within a chassis?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yes please and thank you

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_2-4-0

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cursedshitbox posted:

And some other good weird poo poo.

You had my curiosity, and now you have my attention.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

IIRC the P34's four front wheels not only gave it much better grip, but allowed the smaller wheels to produce way less drag.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah it was a response to the rules changing to reduce the size of the front wing, which meant the wheels would stick out above and to the sides of the wing, so their drag had to be taken into account more than previously. "if we go smaller wheels we can fit the aero profile, but we lose surface area needed for handling and braking. What if we... no, surely not. But maybe...?"

They had some issues with the steering linkages being super complicated that they solved by (iirc) having the steering wheel only turning the front set of front wheels, and then the front wheels linked to the back set of front wheels.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
And yet Jody Scheckter called it a pile of junk. Even managed to win a race with it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I was unaware that drum and bass legend Andy C had an F-40. What a great photo.

https://twitter.com/NYTAofficial/status/1065249498237231105?s=20

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Reverse parked against a light pole in a normal space, not twat-parked over 2 spaces? I can respect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
This thread is a thousand years old, so this may have been posted before, but check out this extreme mega 4x4.
Its actually kinda more like a 1x1x1x1. Or so says a youtube comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zXpDOmuXXM