Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Sjs00 posted:

should have had group sex like that one goon

Pretty sure the governor said that gloryholes are cool again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MA-Horus posted:

The Coward Douglas Ford.

livestreaming his cheesecake recipe, while grandma in long-term care has poo poo overflowing from her diaper because all the below minimum wage ltc workers have covid and is drowning in her own lungs.

Sounds about right :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sex excellence posted:

The second shot is designed to cause a stronger reaction than the initial dose so the side-effects are generally stronger than the first shot.

The two shots are the same, the fact you already have some immunity from the first shot is what causes the stronger reaction to the second one.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I suppose there's no real way of knowing, but does a bad reaction (by which I mean, 'feeling like utter rear end') to the vaccine mean that you'd probably have been a 'bad case of covid' kind of person, or is it utterly unrelated?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nobody knows, but my guess is probably not because nothing in immunokogy is simple.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

This might be considered hyper-local, so feel free to ignore it, but Pennsylvania loosened requirements for getting the vaccine. I think the actual vaccines are still scarce, but at least you don't need to be in healthcare to get one anymore.

Most notably, if you're a senior, live in a nursing/care facility of some sort, OR have one of various pre-existing conditions, you can now get one.

https://www.pa.gov/guides/get-vaccinated/

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Washington State added a web tool that will tell you whether you're eligible and you can register on it to get a text or email when you become eligible.

https://form.findyourphasewa.org/210118771253954

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

azurite posted:

This might be considered hyper-local, so feel free to ignore it, but Pennsylvania loosened requirements for getting the vaccine. I think the actual vaccines are still scarce, but at least you don't need to be in healthcare to get one anymore.

Most notably, if you're a senior, live in a nursing/care facility of some sort, OR have one of various pre-existing conditions, you can now get one.

I went to register online for the pharmacy near me and couldn't choose a date earlier than April :cripes:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mozi posted:

remember months ago when there was a haircutter with covid who wore a mask and none of their dozens of customers got sick? when proper precautions are taken the risk is very low. and if it helps somebody stay sane, then it's totally fine. people need to know which activities are actually risky so they can make proper decisions. people here would think it would be madness to be in close contact with covid patients every day yet many healthcare workers (and other essential workers) have been doing that all year and, with proper precautions taken, avoided infection. yes i personally have not had a haircut and only go out for groceries, but i'm not going to begrudge somebody for doing a low-risk activity. not like he was at a christmas party or eating in a restaurant or something.

This is a nonsensical comparison, though? Like OP mentioned, you can't wear a face shield and a mask the whole time that you're getting a haircut, but a doctor can do both of those things while treating patients. And do you suppose that being a doctor is not really at all like getting a haircut, in any respect?

On the scale of "risky activities that are also important", eating at a restaurant and getting a haircut are on one end of the scale and being a doctor is on like the exact opposite end

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just checked and WI doesn't even have a rollout category for me yet lol.

QuarkJets posted:

This is a nonsensical comparison, though? Like OP mentioned, you can't wear a face shield and a mask the whole time that you're getting a haircut, but a doctor can do both of those things while treating patients. And do you suppose that being a doctor is not really at all like getting a haircut, in any respect?

:wrong: What about the goodbye kiss at the end of your doctor appointment? I don't go home without that.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

QuarkJets posted:

When I went to the barber last summer(the one time I did!) I held my mask over my mouth while he took the elastic off and put it back on. It is entirely possible to wear a mask the whole time. You might have to take your face shield off but as I understand it the barber's mask provides enough protection to you that it can be done in a safe fashion provided you hold your mask over your mouth while it is unhooked. I wouldn't encourage anyone to just go like normal. My wife actually cuts my hair. But it is entirely possible to receive a haircut and wear your mask the entire time if you're willing to be creative.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sex Skeleton posted:

When I went to the barber last summer(the one time I did!) I held my mask over my mouth while he took the elastic off and put it back on. It is entirely possible to wear a mask the whole time. You might have to take your face shield off but as I understand it the barber's mask provides enough protection to you that it can be done in a safe fashion provided you hold your mask over your mouth while it is unhooked. I wouldn't encourage anyone to just go like normal. My wife actually cuts my hair. But it is entirely possible to receive a haircut and wear your mask the entire time if you're willing to be creative.

And yet OP was instructed to take their mask off, and then did so, for their haircut. Isn't this a moot point, then?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just checked and WI doesn't even have a rollout category for me yet lol.

:wrong: What about the goodbye kiss at the end of your doctor appointment? I don't go home without that.

You just made me remember our old family doctor at aurora in Kenosha, a large loud old Italian man. Miss him so much but sadly he died not long after we moved away.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

azurite posted:

I work in an FQHC (like...a health clinic generally speaking) in PA and we're *scrambling* because the government had a 3 hour long meeting with us all about the vaccine and said Nothing about opening 1B then announced this like 20 minutes later lol.

Not surprised though, we were honestly not filling the slots with healthcare workers. A lot (a worrying amount) declined, and a lot got it at the major hospital's vaccination events..

This whole thing is taking years off my life, the communication has been so bad at every step of the way and it's such an enormous pain in the rear end to schedule--it's a 10 dose bottle, so you need blocks of 10 patients. What happens when someone doesn't show up? (someone *always* doesn't show up) You either waste a dose (it expires in 6 hours once it leaves the fridge) or you just grab who ever is closest to being eligible and pray no one ever audits us on it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

buffbus posted:

You just made me remember our old family doctor at aurora in Kenosha, a large loud old Italian man. Miss him so much but sadly he died not long after we moved away.

That was a joke you know. If your doctor kisses you, you might want to report that.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

That was a joke you know. If your doctor kisses you, you might want to report that.

I'm a goon so I'll take what I can get.

In all seriousness he didn't quite do that but I could imagine he would have just a few decades ago.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

And yet OP was instructed to take their mask off, and then did so, for their haircut. Isn't this a moot point, then?

stab posted:

When the hairdresser got next to each ear I'd remove the mask around my ear and hold it in place. When they were done, we would stop and readjust my mask while the hairdresser would be at a distance.

For the visor part, same principle when working around the band.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

We now have a new president who is literally not actively trying to kill us. It's still lovely and it's still going to get worse but I'm excited to see what happens when not only someone competent is in charge, but not someone who literally lied to everyone and did no work whatsoever to help us which resulted in more dead than WWII in less than a year.

:unsmith: I'm trying to stay hopeful.
this is an active thing being done by biden that's going to loving kill god knows how many more people

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

It’s a hell of a lot better than my school systems plan of let’s go back now everything is fine

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Goldaline posted:

I work in an FQHC (like...a health clinic generally speaking) in PA and we're *scrambling* because the government had a 3 hour long meeting with us all about the vaccine and said Nothing about opening 1B then announced this like 20 minutes later lol.

Not surprised though, we were honestly not filling the slots with healthcare workers. A lot (a worrying amount) declined, and a lot got it at the major hospital's vaccination events..

This whole thing is taking years off my life, the communication has been so bad at every step of the way and it's such an enormous pain in the rear end to schedule--it's a 10 dose bottle, so you need blocks of 10 patients. What happens when someone doesn't show up? (someone *always* doesn't show up) You either waste a dose (it expires in 6 hours once it leaves the fridge) or you just grab who ever is closest to being eligible and pray no one ever audits us on it.

How the gently caress does someone get lucky enough to get a covid vaccine and loving cancels the appointment? I would move heaven and goddamn earth to get a vaccine right now but I probably won't be eligible until the Summer at the earliest and yet scumbags are cancelling appointments for their shots.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

FiskTireBoy posted:

How the gently caress does someone get lucky enough to get a covid vaccine and loving cancels the appointment? I would move heaven and goddamn earth to get a vaccine right now but I probably won't be eligible until the Summer at the earliest and yet scumbags are cancelling appointments for their shots.

highlight the part where medical workers are canceling their appts, it's significant and it's a problem and their reasons vary from lack of confidence in the development/clinical timetable to garden variety antivax to what have you

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

In the first thousand days of the "When did we beat Japan at anything?" Donald "Did you notice that baby was crying through half of the speech and I didn’t get angry?" Trump administration, there were zero American Covid 19 fatalities, in the first day of the Biden administration, there were over four thousand. So by rough math, if Biden serves his full term, every American will have died at least three times and our rotting zombie husks will be reduced to mere skeletons and we'll be playing the xylophone on our ribs and we won't make any puns that aren't very humerus. :smith:

Edit: god help us all.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

In the first thousand days of the "When did we beat Japan at anything?" Donald "Did you notice that baby was crying through half of the speech and I didn’t get angry?" Trump administration, there were zero American Covid 19 fatalities, in the first day of the Biden administration, there were over four thousand. So by rough math, if Biden serves his full term, every American will have died at least three times and our rotting zombie husks will be reduced to mere skeletons and we'll be playing the xylophone on our ribs and we won't make any puns that aren't very humerus. :smith:

Edit: god help us all.

if this trend continues....

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

FiskTireBoy posted:

It could literally be an appointment to take out something that would kill you the next day and someone would cancel it, trust me. Actually, one of our biggest issues right now is that with telehealth not as many people no-show and our providers are too slammed because all their patients actually show up. That's also why insurance is starting to get testy about covering it (we are all holding our breath for the day they stop/make people do it through their own tele-doc system and we will have to see most folks in-office again)

Anyway. Please be patient as no one really has the infrastructure on how to distribute this and the government gave us 0 information or ETA on when we'd receive them so we sort of assumed it would be a while and then...presto 200 doses just showed up and Oh gently caress we need to figure out how to 1) figure out who is our patient and eligible and 2) actually get in contact/schedule/mark as 'declined'

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

I suppose there's no real way of knowing, but does a bad reaction (by which I mean, 'feeling like utter rear end') to the vaccine mean that you'd probably have been a 'bad case of covid' kind of person, or is it utterly unrelated?

Probably the opposite - your body is putting up a robust defence against the "infection", which is what causes the aches, pains and listlessness. Your body is telling you "Something's up, and I need you to go lay down somewhere so I can sort this poo poo out". If you'd actually caught covid, you might have *felt* worse in the early stage of an infection than someone who doesn't have as strong a reaction but it's less likely the virus would eat your lungs because your body was fighting it much harder.

You might be thinking of the 1918 flu pandemic where a lot of young and healthy people got zapped because something about that particular virus had a tendency to cause a massive over-reaction by the immune system, and it was this over-reaction rather than the virus itself that killed you - younger, fitter people with healthy immune systems therefore had much stronger reactions and so were more likely to die than from a normal infection, effectively killed by their own immune system rather than the virus itself, whereas older people didn't put up as much of a fight so their chances were better.

All of this is of course a massive oversimplification and:

Scarodactyl posted:

Nobody knows, but my guess is probably not because nothing in immunokogy is simple.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 21, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Not surprising but sources are reporting there was literally NO vaccine rollout plan when Biden team came in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crackbone posted:

Not surprising but sources are reporting there was literally NO vaccine rollout plan when Biden team came in.

The vaccine rollout plan is just the address of Kushner’s storage unit.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It’s a hell of a lot better than my school systems plan of let’s go back now everything is fine

Not to bum you out but my wife, child and I all got COVID last week (99% sure from school). We're both teachers with limited class sizes and staggered schedules. Right before getting COVID the school board rushed to vote returning face to face full classes as "there's no evidence of community spread in schools." There appears to currently be a pretty good size outbreak happening at the school that we were informed of a week after we got symptoms. Administration has told us that it only happened because staff isn't following all the guidelines. My quarantine ends next week and lines up with the return to full classes so I guess I don't have to worry about getting COVID from school anymore...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Some of our schools opened back up at 30% (different groups of kids on different days) on some days, virtual on others.

Social distancing, masks at all times, kids in individual cubicles, lunch served in classrooms, no changing classes, and the pullouts (art, music, etc) are in the classrooms.

Want to guess what happened/is happening? Lots of sick teachers, teacher quitting, no substitutes, sick kids and families, etc.

Wife got her second dose yesterday. Woke up this morning feeling fine. :)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are people pretending the kids are immune? Is that where this is coming from?

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

jokes posted:

We've been told both "kids don't get it as bad" and "kids don't spread it" a bunch of times from admin, who are saying that's what the health department told them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man, twitter was a mistake. Look at the consequences @jack

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

jokes posted:

I don't know what the evidence is, but people in my building are always saying that the coronavirus isn't very dangerous to kids.

I point out that kids have parents/grandparents/teachers/etc, but I don't believe the leadership wants to think that far ahead.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

There was an article sometime last year in the NYT - maybe the summer? - saying that the risk to kids is very slim and outweighed the risk of kids falling behind with remote learning. Like many articles published about covid it was probably based on a flawed study funded by a partisan group. As far as I know the risk to kids is fairly low compared to other groups, but yeah, it seems likely that they can spread it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yes their lungs are irreparably shredded for the rest of their life, and they lost mom and peepaw, but they left 4th grade knowing long division, so that's a win in my book.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I don't have access to the chart anymore, but Israel opened up their school system in July (I think) and a couple weeks later their new cases went through the roof.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know what the evidence is, but people in my building are always saying that the coronavirus isn't very dangerous to kids.

I point out that kids have parents/grandparents/teachers/etc, but I don't believe the leadership wants to think that far ahead.

ive got friends in their early 20s who say something close to that - "i'm not gonna die if i get it so why should i wear a mask or social distance?" no amount of explaining will make them comprehend that they can spread it and kill people.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

coronavirus posted:

Pretty sure the governor said that gloryholes are cool again.

They're very European.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

spacetoaster posted:

Kids who get covid can wind up with Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome, "a condition where different body parts can become inflamed, including the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, skin, eyes, or gastrointestinal organs." Seemingly random side effect. Feel free to share that information with anyone who thinks their kid is bulletproof. I'll refrain from looking for the warning posts from specific parents, but they're out there.