Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The atom is even split by breeding incredibly small but powerful dogs that bite the atom in half. (This kills the dog.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

no broccoli please posted:

WELL NOW I FEEL FOOLISH

Don't worry, common mistake.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

I hated this so now you have to see it too

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I like how they highlight Ancient Latin. Like the person, apparently knows the difference between Ancient, Classical, and Ecclesiastical Latin, to the point where they can fluently speak specifically one variety over the other, but don't understand a single word of Italian.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
"This person is speaking Latin to me? That's very unexpected ... but I guess they're a tourist who only studied Latin and not Italian. They seem weird, but harmless. May as well let them go."

Echodrops: "HE THOUGHT I WAS A GHOST :aaaaa:"

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
A ghost most probably wearing modern clothing. How mysterious!

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Jesus I hate this arsehole. Why would this be something they'd make up?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

And then every New Zealander stood up and clapped

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cptn_dr posted:

Amanda Palmer has been in New Zealand for most of last year, is a relentless self promoter, and has had her personal life widely reported in international gossip media in the last year. The least believable thing about that is the coffee shop not knowing she was Amanda Palmer.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Who is Amanda Palmer

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Who is Amanda Palmer

Singer formally of the Dresden Dolls, married (possibly in the middle of a divorce with) fantasy/comic book author Neil Gaiman.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

cptn_dr posted:

It's hard enough to get Kiwis to clap at a show like hell we would do it spontaneously.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If I was a barrista who served Amanda Palmer every day I might clap if I thought she might repatriate to another continent.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I live in NZ, I know way more than the average person about Amanda Palmer and Ive even seen her live but there's still no way I'd recognise her if she walked into a coffee shop.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bike tory posted:

I live in NZ, I know way more than the average person about Amanda Palmer and Ive even seen her live but there's still no way I'd recognise her if she walked into a coffee shop.

I was just trying to make a joke about how your country would be happy if she left your country.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Firstscion posted:

It's hard enough to get Kiwis to clap at a show like hell we would do it spontaneously.

I'm just going to start applauding every time I hear a non-Kiwi accent.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Skwirl posted:

Amanda Palmer has been in New Zealand for most of last year, is a relentless self promoter, and has had her personal life widely reported in international gossip media in the last year. The least believable thing about that is the coffee shop not knowing she was Amanda Palmer.

I don't think eyebrows made of stars and an ego larger than the North and South island combined stay anonymous for long, especially not when you're throwing a massive international tantrum about your maybe-divorce.

I used to be a massive fan of the Dresden Dolls, but I find the way Palmer behaves and her relentless need to promote herself the as the ultimate MPDG trying at best.

e: I've been living overseas since I was 18, including in countries where people actually LIKE Americans, and no one has ever, ever done this anywhere ever.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's a p plausible kid thing to say, I wouldn't call it stdh.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

And all those Kiwis? Alberts Einstein.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sebmojo posted:

That's a p plausible kid thing to say, I wouldn't call it stdh.

It's bonkers that any mother wouldn't just say 'that's his penis/willy/whatever word we're using' though. The drat kid is six, she should know what parts of the body are.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Is this about Biden's inauguration?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

As an educational professional who taught for ten years, I call fake because of the timing. She wouldn't have come up the punchline that quickly. If she did say it at all, it would probably come much later in the day after she'd had time to work it over in her mind.

e:

Shwoo posted:

Is this about Biden's inauguration?

Yes. You know, that thing that absolutely means everything to everyone in the world, regardless of where they live. (I'm not saying there isn't relief on a global scale or anything, but my generally nice and liberal coworker [here in Catalunya] expressed disappointment because he thinks Trump is better for the economy and fewer people will buy our game as a result of Biden's win. He is also a 30-year old virgin who once complained for ten minutes because his parents' housekeeper kept knocking down his Gundams, but my point is that non-American people aren't really that obsessed about it.)

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 12:11 on Jan 21, 2021

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

sorry, double post!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

As an educational professional who taught for ten years, I call fake because of the timing. She wouldn't have come up the punchline that quickly. If she did say it at all, it would probably come much later in the day after she'd had time to work it over in her mind.

Also, if you look at the bottom of the image, the museum wasn't open on that day, a strong additional indication it's made up poo poo.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

gschmidl posted:

Also, if you look at the bottom of the image, the museum wasn't open on that day, a strong additional indication it's made up poo poo.

I apologize for missing it. Calm yo tits.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I apologize for missing it. Calm yo tits.

I wasn't trying to be antagonistic to you, sorry!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Both of you shut up and calm down!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

gschmidl posted:

I wasn't trying to be antagonistic to you, sorry!

I'm sorry, I totally overinterpreted what you wrote because my boss has been a screaming dick to me all day and I'm being defensive. I'm sorry!

oldpainless posted:

Both of you shut up and calm down!

More like

ok sorry

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I don’t know what a screaming dick looks like

somebody illustrate it

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

freeedr posted:

somebody illustrate it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

freeedr posted:

somebody illustrate it
Turn off your monitor

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I don't think eyebrows made of stars and an ego larger than the North and South island combined stay anonymous for long, especially not when you're throwing a massive international tantrum about your maybe-divorce.

I used to be a massive fan of the Dresden Dolls, but I find the way Palmer behaves and her relentless need to promote herself the as the ultimate MPDG trying at best.

e: I've been living overseas since I was 18, including in countries where people actually LIKE Americans, and no one has ever, ever done this anywhere ever.

This is basically how I feel. I was a huge fan through my teen years but Amanda herself has just become so offputting, plus that hosed up poo poo she did to her ex... I had to go through all my playlists and remove her because it was all I could think about every time I heard her voice.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

subpar anachronism posted:

plus that hosed up poo poo she did to her ex

I'm kinda in your boat. I had her albums in heavy rotation when I was in college but they don't click the same way with me anymore...
but what is this about?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The only thing I know about Amanda Palmer is she caused a huge kerfuffle for getting artists to work for her for free "for exposure" while she was making money.

And then when people criticized her she tripled down.

I've never liked her and I feel bad for Gaiman but I'm glad he's free

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm kinda in your boat. I had her albums in heavy rotation when I was in college but they don't click the same way with me anymore...
but what is this about?

IIRC she had a recording of her ex freaking out over her pretending to have killed herself, then used it on an album.

And I think the ex committed suicide shortly after her stunt of pretending to have killed herself.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ok because it's New Zealand and also she lives in a small town, a journo has actually tracked down the cafe that Amanda Palmer went into and confirmed that her "everyone clapped" thing is, technically, at least partially true*.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/22...-investigation/

*The huge caveat here is that "everyone behind the counter" was a single person, with whom she had discussed the inauguration previously.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

The General posted:

IIRC she had a recording of her ex freaking out over her pretending to have killed herself, then used it on an album.

And I think the ex committed suicide shortly after her stunt of pretending to have killed herself.

Yeah it was this, she faked a suicide to punish her ex for being an addict.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have no clue who she was until that tweet made it's rounds here. The fact she married Gaiman says everything I need to know. I find him to be the most overrated writer alive.

And that says something, because Alan Moore and JRRM are still around.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have no clue who she was until that tweet made it's rounds here. The fact she married Gaiman says everything I need to know. I find him to be the most overrated writer alive.

And that says something, because Alan Moore and JRRM are still around.

Jolkien Rolkien Rolkien Molkien?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Jolkien Rolkien Rolkien Molkien?

Jorge Raimundo Ricardo Martins, an obscure Portuguese true crime author, not sure why they consider him overrated