Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cojawfee posted:

I think he made it down one side, and then wanted to try to do the other side. If I remember correctly, someone told him it was stupid and he said something like "F you old man" and then took off never to be seen again.

I guess you could say he was... Board to death.

Eh, whatever. Shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I think he made it down one side, and then wanted to try to do the other side. If I remember correctly, someone told him it was stupid and he said something like "F you old man" and then took off never to be seen again.

Here he is:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/marco-siffredi

quote:

The oddest theory surrounding his disappearance comes from Marco Siffredi’s own sister, Shooty. Shooty firmly believes that Marco made it down the mountain smoothly, and is still alive today. She claims that he simply passed by base camp, and is living with yak herders in Tibet, exploring new peaks, and scaling yet-undiscovered parts of the Tibetan mountain ranges.

Fingers crossed!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You won't be laughing when he makes the news as discoverer of the legendary Emerald Skull, pursued by some bad guy PMC

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
Dakar can be tough, with almost half the entrants not finishing each year, and is definitely a rich man's game; if you rent a motorcycle for the race, your total budget is about 90,000 euros, and in 2000, they airlifted most of the field on two Antonov 124 cargo planes from Niger to Libya, at a cost of $2 million

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dakar-terror-fears-spur-airlift/

but the consequences of screwing up are nowhere near as dire. Yes, there are deaths, and there was a time in Morocco where a driver of a back-up vehicle had his leg blown off by a landmine.

It's a two week race, so the biggest issue is usually just fatigue, and you start getting lost.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w_WB2AVNDXo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo that guy is so cool

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

Time to pivot to Wingsuits? Haven't most of the pioneers died flying one?

They’re suicide machines but they’re also cool and require a degree of skill and expertise rather than just luck and third worlders risking their life for your selfie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wondered who even let people do the wingsuit thing but I saw a movie on it and apparently nobody since every jump basically featured them either getting arrested or running away from the cops.

Still somehow a very boring doc though.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Rick posted:

I wondered who even let people do the wingsuit thing but I saw a movie on it and apparently nobody since every jump basically featured them either getting arrested or running away from the cops.

Still somehow a very boring doc though.

Agreed, Tomb Raider 2 was lame.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I still remember one year in the early 2000s? Watching a Dakar on eurosport and it was actually in North Africa that year. They had a sudden rainstorm and all these dudes expecting desert conditions etc had their engines swamped and poo poo.

Loafing and watching Dakar on eurosport was a great time when I did it a few times.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I guess the best explanation I found from a guy on a technical diving forum that seems to know what he’s talking about was that this diver just wanted to go deep to show off, since he seems to be intent on filming his dive computer. That also explains why he had like 3 times too much weight and never dropped it. As far as him being a diving instructor I thought that meant dive master but he’s probably just a dipshit with a few slightly more advanced than average certs that didn’t know enough to realize he effectively committed suicide somewhere around 60-70 meters and would have nitro’ed away his ability to save himself on regular air at the pressure.

I remember seeing a big bolded box in a diving manual that said “IF YOU ARE DIVING ON ONE CYLINDER YOU ARE NOT TECHNICAL DIVING” and I guess Yuri showed them.

One explanation also was he might have been attempting a bounce dive, hence the weight, hit the bottom, register it, drop and get back up, but narc'd out on the bottom

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

If you want to get into motorsports that have Everest-level death rates, you have to get into the Isle of Man TT and other motorcycle road races. It's basically a case where if you crash at full speed, you're likely to suffer life-changing injuries at a minimum (current TT bodycount is 260 against Everest's 304).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFJSVtsckyI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Isle_of_Man_TT_Mountain_Course_fatalities

It's one of those things that really shouldn't be allowed as a modern event, but it's also the blue riband event of motorbike road racing and the single biggest tourist draw for the island (which is autonomous and legally distinct from the mainland UK), so they'll run it come hell or high water, both of which can probably be considered legitimate dangers there.

Cool (although likely NSFW) video from a fast response bike medic giving a conference talk on dealing with injuries sustained in high speed superbike accidents, which he recorded before he was killed in a high speed superbike accident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

djssniper posted:

From the books I've read, people don't realise the distance of the tunnel, it's a lot further than it looks

Lookig it up now, it seems that the tunnel is more like an arch that I kind of remember seing there. I'll try to find a gopro video of that dive if I haven't lost it somewhere.

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If you want to get into motorsports that have Everest-level death rates, you have to get into the Isle of Man TT and other motorcycle road races. It's basically a case where if you crash at full speed, you're likely to suffer life-changing injuries at a minimum (current TT bodycount is 260 against Everest's 304).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFJSVtsckyI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Isle_of_Man_TT_Mountain_Course_fatalities

It's one of those things that really shouldn't be allowed as a modern event, but it's also the blue riband event of motorbike road racing and the single biggest tourist draw for the island (which is autonomous and legally distinct from the mainland UK), so they'll run it come hell or high water, both of which can probably be considered legitimate dangers there.

Cool (although likely NSFW) video from a fast response bike medic giving a conference talk on dealing with injuries sustained in high speed superbike accidents, which he recorded before he was killed in a high speed superbike accident:

The sidecar races are particularly insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PTbNHgXWYo

E: moto doctor talk was very interesting. :rip:

RobotCoupeDetat fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 21, 2021

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Lookig it up now, it seems that the tunnel is more like an arch that I kind of remember seing there. I'll try to find a gopro video of that dive if I haven't lost it somewhere.
Then some one goes and free dives it, they don't have to do decompression stops but it's one helluva feat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXQbucZUDA

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

The sidecar races are particularly insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PTbNHgXWYo

sidehackers!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wtoDjCkZJWg

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

djssniper posted:

One explanation also was he might have been attempting a bounce dive, hence the weight, hit the bottom, register it, drop and get back up, but narc'd out on the bottom

I don't know what a bounce dive is but it sounds like the stupidest thing one could ever attempt.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know what a bounce dive is but it sounds like the stupidest thing one could ever attempt.

Are we including the rest of this thread?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty much is, it's a bragging rights thing, you go deep fast, then go back up straight away so you don't have to do the proper decomp stops as you don't get as saturated, yet you record a big deep dive without the proper way (and equipment cost) of doing it.. really stupid risk

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I think I'd be put off high speed motorbike racing after the first time I saw someone slam into a cement barrier and leave pieces all over the road, but that's just me obviously the doctor had a different risk assessment.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If you want to get into motorsports that have Everest-level death rates, you have to get into the Isle of Man TT and other motorcycle road races.

I think I want to clarify here that by 'road races', I think FullLeatherJacket is talking specifically about races held on closed-off public roads. The TT is one of these, and there's a whole series held in I think Ireland?

The big-money motorcycle racing series like World Superbike or MotoGP are held on dedicated tracks like Laguna Seca, Motegi or Catalunya. They're often used for F1 or closed-wheel auto racing as well. Those tracks tend to have wide runoff areas, so if a rider falls, they can disperse all their energy sliding it out and often come away with no more than a sprain or a break. If someone dies in MotoGP or WSBK any more, it's nearly as big a deal as when someone dies in F1 or NASCAR. Public-street course racing is pretty niche in comparison, and while the Isle of Man TT might be the preeminent event in that community, it's not something that every racer aspires to, because it's nuts and lethal.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Motorsports are garbage imo it's even less sporty than having a bunch of underpaid natives drag you up a mountain, just complete trash. Yes this is me signing my post

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Motorsports are garbage imo it's even less sporty than having a bunch of underpaid natives drag you up a mountain, just complete trash. Yes this is me signing my post

Motor racing is one of the three true sports, along with mountaineering and bull fighting, so it does seem like it belongs in the Everest thread.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The fact they race bikes on the Macau circuit always amazes me

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

gohuskies posted:

Motor racing is one of the three true sports, along with mountaineering and bull fighting, so it does seem like it belongs in the Everest thread.

Bull fighting is ok if it's bare knuckle, car bothering can go to hell tho

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

There's good opinions, and there's not so good opinions. This is one of the good ones actually.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I liked it when Jeremy Clarkson and James May drove to the north pole.
Maybe you can drive up Everest? They should drive up Everest.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Scarodactyl posted:

*extremely monster truck rally voice*

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! See Dick Trucknuts and Mike Whiteguy RACE up MOUNT EVEREST to a deathmatch at the tooooppppp. Dick's in the EVE-RIPPER and Mike's driving the MEGA-SHERPA TWO THOUSAND!!!! You'll be on the EDGE OF your seat A CLIIIIFFFFFFF! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! Special appearance by Rascal Flatts.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

There's good opinions, and there's not so good opinions. This is one of the good ones actually.

Motorsports get so bad they become funny again, cf. the 2020 season of F1, which was a raging soap opera and 2021 promises even more laughs. You can decide to be mad at human stupidity or laugh at it, but you'll never avoid it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Scarodactyl posted:

You can drive up to basecamp on the ChineseTibetan side.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 21, 2021

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Phy posted:

I think I want to clarify here that by 'road races', I think FullLeatherJacket is talking specifically about races held on closed-off public roads. The TT is one of these, and there's a whole series held in I think Ireland?

Yeah, the issue is less that 'bike go fast', it's that you're doing 180mph around what's essentially a rally special stage, both in terms of there being a lot of very pretty scenery which has absolutely no regard for your brittle human bones, and in terms of it being surrounded by spectators who appear to want specifically to get hit with burning wreckage as a hobby

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ewe2 posted:

Motorsports get so bad they become funny again, cf. the 2020 season of F1, which was a raging soap opera and 2021 promises even more laughs. You can decide to be mad at human stupidity or laugh at it, but you'll never avoid it.

Somehow 2020 produced some of the best f1 races I've seen for a while. F1 is always about being a soap opera

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

djssniper posted:

I am SO RELIEVED to hear that. I heard he was accidentally overweighted and was loving with his equipment, got narced, and sank to the bottom. When he came to, he was way too deep and that’s the panic you hear.

I like your version, that it was intentional, way way way more. I’m terrified of drop offs and don’t really feel comfortable with the sea floor being beyond my depth rating, and I think it all stems from this video.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

I would pay good money to see those guys disappear in the Khumbu Icefall.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

djssniper posted:

Then some one goes and free dives it, they don't have to do decompression stops but it's one helluva feat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXQbucZUDA

Love the safety divers rocking multiple sets of bottles and redundant dive computers to accompany someone swimming past essentially butt-naked

Also this guys swimming is amazing. Perfectly mechanical, extremely efficient. No hurry at all, just stroke... wait for movement to almost stop. stroke... Beautiful.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Switchback posted:

I am SO RELIEVED to hear that. I heard he was accidentally overweighted and was loving with his equipment, got narced, and sank to the bottom. When he came to, he was way too deep and that’s the panic you hear.

I like your version, that it was intentional, way way way more. I’m terrified of drop offs and don’t really feel comfortable with the sea floor being beyond my depth rating, and I think it all stems from this video.

It’s pretty loving hard to sink accidentally, most wetsuits add a lot of buoyancy, as do your lungs. I was in a military “frogman” type program (didn’t graduate) and this was a huge problem for me, even when I was lean going through the program I have to get deep quick on a full lung or blow off most of my air to lose enough buoyancy.

A BCD failure would absolutely not cause to rocket down that fast unless you’re absurdly overloaded. The more I learn the more it seems him doing a bounce dive to prove he could go deep is the only good explanation.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 22, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
At the risk of putting this back on subject...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbgv7ntfRUQ

Watch it to the end.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pablo Bluth posted:

you're safe, description says "Avalanche slide from the face of Annapurna"

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
it's a reminder that Annapurna is the true holy mountain and does it's hardest to kill anyone that sets foot on it dead dead dead

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbgv7ntfRUQ

Watch it to the end.

All I'm thinking is "run you stupid bastards", but not these precious backwaters of human genetics, there's a loving rainbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Living and working in avalanche and rockfall/landslide prone parts of places my entire life, you can start to read terrain. Yeah, like one in a thousand might displace the lake, but by reading the glacier and scree and how everything widens out, unless they were putting tents at the base of the scree spread, not much is gonna gently caress with them.

Here's a sat pic:

Notice on satellite, the grey "rolls of fat" landscape there, that's a glacier (underneath landslide dust) that's basically being fed by avalanches such as this one, and the avalanche is what I'm betting what they are there to film. Also notice the massive amount of green around the lake, none of that would be there if rockslides or icefalls or avalanches were regular.