Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

The wooden shipping pallet homes for emergency housing seemed like a better idea than the containers, and you can at least insulate them, but you have to be careful what they're treated with and they wouldn't be suitable everywhere, e.g.

I was reminded of this gentleman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Vx2Ghl1uA in GBS americana thread recently and now I'm wondering how he would feel about the fruits of his labour being squandered so every year here :(

https://i.imgur.com/6Bw5wg9.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Britannia is fully unchained

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Speaking of home heating, saw this ad on insta, anyone have experience with similar installed? My house boiler is auld and knackered, if I could get a £7k freebie replacement bit of kit I wouldn't be put out :o:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

Where did I say there was? What I am saying is that there are far more of those grieving people than you think. Enough to make a movement, if they are brought together.

No, you didn’t say that; you were responding to my post responding to someone else. You’re right - but getting them to all accept that it was the government’s fault would be hard.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Isomermaid posted:

I thought building regs say you have to have a minimum of 2 doors between toilets and kitchens?

Edit: huh, that's been relaxed aparently. Dysentry for all!

This sort of thing doesn't follow building regs, they'll depend heavily on regulatory capture, emergency exemptions or loopholes of various sorts

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm going to come across as very silly, but I do kind of like the idea of living in a small space. I don't know why but it makes me feel like your on board a big colony ship going through space.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

I lived in something not entirely unlike this for a few months when I was between proper flats. Very grim if it’s your full-time home but acceptable as a sort of hotel room if you’re out of the house most of the time.

There’s loads of them being built right now in Sheffield marketed as ‘boutique student living’, and IIRC because they’re not let out on a standard tenancy agreement they don’t have to meet all the normal fire / housing codes. I assume once the bottom falls out of the student market there will suddenly be a lot of interest in downgrading those regulations.

E: Hmm, maybe that ^^ was the regulation I was thinking of, not sure if there are others these violate as well?

The main thing with student housing is because they're not required to provide a means of cooking to the tenants the requirements for passive fire protection are much lower (no requirement for 60 minute protection between dwellings, it only has to be around the shared kitchen area). It's expensive as hell to convert short-stay accommodation to housing (incidentally this is why student housing is only available on 51-week or shorter contracts, that's the legal difference), but like you say I'm sure they'll get rid of those rules ASAP (Maximum Torydrive option - they manage to slip it into whatever regulations end up getting changed after the Grenfell enquiry finally reports).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Josef bugman posted:

I'm going to come across as very silly, but I do kind of like the idea of living in a small space. I don't know why but it makes me feel like your on board a big colony ship going through space.

Yeah me too, but recognise that's a pretty obvious desperate escape fantasy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This sort of thing doesn't follow building regs, they'll depend heavily on regulatory capture, emergency exemptions or loopholes of various sorts

They're studios, the two-door requirement is only for 1BR and higher - studios/bedsits have had that exception at least since the 70s.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Josef bugman posted:

I am very boring so bare minimum want my bed to be in a different room to my living/eating space. Very boojy I know.

Minimalism is kind of interesting in theory but then I realise I'd have to get rid of the box of 17 year old PC games I'll never play again and my Rock Band drum kit that hasn't been touched since I left Glasgow and I just like pointless clutter too drat much

Not quite hoarder TV show levels, I do get rid of stuff, but I like the idea of playing Rock Band again one day even if its probably a fantasy

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 21, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’ve always wanted a toilet in my kitchen.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Speaking of home heating, saw this ad on insta, anyone have experience with similar installed? My house boiler is auld and knackered, if I could get a £7k freebie replacement bit of kit I wouldn't be put out :o:

I've got a retrofitted one in my current rental, detached house. It's cold.

The radiators are not designed for it and the house is poorly insulated.

I've also fitted one in a family member's new barn conversion where, with underfloor heating and relatively good attention paid to insulation and air tightness, it works well.

They do make a noise and you need somewhere suitable outside to put them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They also keep slightly changing the gas and electricity prices so that it's still just more expensive than a boiler even as efficiency improves.

Air-to-air heat pump for heating and a gas water heater seems like the best split for the foreseeable future.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

forkboy84 posted:

I am very boring so bare minimum want my bed to be in a different room to my living/eating space. Very boojy I know.

I always liked that idea of fold away things. Like a bed that folds up and it's got stuff on the underneath.

I don't know why but I just like things that change into other things.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/mediocredave/status/1351582723132059650?s=21

Article link in the comments, although it is paywalled.

See if "family, community and security" meant 'people have secure income enough to potentially build a family on and their living environment will be holistically positive enough to foster a positive community' that would be amazing but from Kier that talk is 100% just dog-whistle virtue signalling to the few remaining homophobes in the red wall and laying groundwork for a whole new level of potential bullshit in the security state.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Josef bugman posted:

I always liked that idea of fold away things. Like a bed that folds up and it's got stuff on the underneath.

I don't know why but I just like things that change into other things.

I got one of these (standard double size though if I were in a couple it would be a bit narrow for 2 people for more than a few nights rumpy pumpy) for my new flat as it is so small. It has just over 400 litres of storage space underneath - fits 9 x 45l storage boxes absolutely perfectly.
I had to have one that opened at the end as the bedroom is so small there would be no room for getting anything out of side opening or if I had a bed with drawers.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/malm-ottoman-bed-white-30404820/

I didn't put the ply bottom in it so the storage boxes are sitting on the carpet so I guess if I were really skint I could just have got a large plank of wood and placed it on top of the storage boxes.

(NB this photo is the advert, not my bedroom!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 21, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
How much bonking is equivalent to a few nights rumpy pumpy

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

Are you talking metric or Imperial units?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Same, actually. I spend almost all my time in one room and it doesn't bother me. Only things I do like is a separate shitter and a separate kitchen would be nice, though not necessary.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah if I was living alone I wouldn't really mind a little box, as long as I have space to cook/microwave and somewhere to wash my flesh. I quite liked having a very small space to call my own at uni - but then again I had plenty of storage space at my parents' home.

It becomes an issue when couples and families have no choice but to live in these boxes.

stev fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 21, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

It's not about quantity, it's about quality.

As a posh person, I do rumpy pumpy, unlike the plebian classes who bonk.

source: heil

quote:

A better class of rumpy-pumpy: Camilla seduced Charles because her boyfriend was bedding Princess Anne. 'That's how the upper classes bonk,' said royal author Penny Junor. And judging by this lot, she wasn't kidding.

Toffs do it differently from the rest of us. We weary citizens bowed down with jobs, the school run, DIY and a trip to the gym if we’re lucky, find it difficult to make room for a spot of rumpy pumpy.

Not so aristos, according to the royal biographer Penny Junor, who said this week that researching her latest book had been ‘revelatory’

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

stev posted:

Yeah if I was living alone I wouldn't really mind a little box, as long as I have space to cook/microwave and somewhere to wash my flesh. I quite liked having a very small space to call my own at uni - but then again I had plenty of storage space at my parents' home.

It becomes an issue when couples and families have no choice but to live in these boxes.

Yes, if I were living in a couple, it would become very claustrophobic in this flat. For a start I will not have a tv in the bedroom and all sport is banned from the tv.
I've been lucky in my life in finding guys who hate sport too.

I have no space for my own washing machine, but there is a communal laundry in the block which we pay for through the service charges. They're laundrette style commercial machines so all the washing and drying times are much quicker than domestic ones. (Which means I'm also able to contemplate doing away with various spare bedding etc as I can get all my washing done and dried in under 2 hours).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I was just reading about the US election and the democrats ambitions and this quote is pretty funny:

AJ posted:

Biden and the Democrats need to be careful about what legislation they seek to push through Congress in order to create an atmosphere of bipartisan cooperation, said Paul Beck, professor of political science at Ohio State University.

“Biden knows the Senate. He is not somebody who is going to try to threaten or attack the Republicans. He really wants to get them to work with him,”

Why would they need bipartisan cooperation again when they control both chambers of the congress as well as the white house?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Private Speech posted:

I was just reading about the US election and the democrats ambitions and this quote is pretty LMBO:

Why would they need bipartisan cooperation again when they control both chambers of the congress as well as the white house?

The filibuster still exists in Senate. There are not enough votes to do away with it at the moment.

Republicans being pricks and blocking important legislation may change that, but for now the Dems need their cooperation for cloture votes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because they're pathologically obsessed with it. You would think they would learn from the last twelve years but that is too short a period of time to penetrate the skull of a centrist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Only things I do like is a separate shitter and a separate kitchen would be nice, though not necessary.
One room studio flat with new high tech 'shitchen'. (£1299pcm)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

source: heil
I'm sure they'd be equally fair about any other group of people who spent all day pursuing affairs of the loin because they didn't work.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Deteriorata posted:

The filibuster still exists in Senate. There are not enough votes to do away with it at the moment.

Republicans being pricks and blocking important legislation may change that, but for now the Dems need their cooperation for cloture votes.

I forgot about that particular quirk. At the same time why didn't the republicans have to deal with the same thing for the last few years, much less talk about bipartisanship?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Private Speech posted:

I forgot about that particular quirk. At the same time why didn't the republicans have to deal with the same thing for the last few years, much less talk about bipartisanship?

Their main way of avoiding was just not passing any meaningful bills. What they did pass they did through a trick called budget reconciliation that only needs a majority vote, but can only be used on one bill per year.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Missed this!

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1351971567874560001?s=20

According to various comments she said she was leaving in July after the Priti Patel bullying thing. But anyway, I missed it and I like Oborne's take.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 21, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Laura is so poo poo

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
having finished my first academic paper today, allow me to definitively state that frederick winslow taylor sucked rear end, and the fact he sucked so much rear end and everyone hated him so much that congress called a special session to call him a stupid rear end in a top hat, and then he died of getting owned so hard, is very funny.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CoolCab posted:

having finished my first academic paper today, allow me to definitively state that frederick winslow taylor sucked rear end, and the fact he sucked so much rear end and everyone hated him so much that congress called a special session to call him a stupid rear end in a top hat, and then he died of getting owned so hard, is very funny.

Did he invent 'time and motion' studies?
Before Quality and Lean and all that stuff, it was the time and motion man everyone lived in fear of. Vague memories of stories from my grandparents who were factory workers.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Did he invent 'time and motion' studies?
Before Quality and Lean and all that stuff, it was the time and motion man everyone lived in fear of. Vague memories of stories from my grandparents who were factory workers.

well observed! he added the time part, more or less - my piece is about that specific innovation, that a manager's role was to stand behind you with a stopwatch and tell you exactly how much time you wasted by not doing it the scientific, by which i mean, manager's, way. loved to quantify things, loved to point to the quantity of things and call it scientific and scientific proof of the manager's way. lovely fella.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CoolCab posted:

well observed! he added the time part, more or less - my piece is about that specific innovation, that a manager's role was to stand behind you with a stopwatch and tell you exactly how much time you wasted by not doing it the scientific, by which i mean, manager's, way. loved to quantify things, loved to point to the quantity of things and call it scientific and scientific proof of the manager's way. lovely fella.

The Time & Motion man was the bane of every factory workers' life according to my grandparents - caused all sorts of divisive issues if there was one person on the line faster than everyone else and also if someone was having a bad time for whatever reason that made them a bit slower. Do they still have T&M persons? Haven't heard the phrase for years now.

Meanwhile, in other news:

Rachel Riley's fan base are truly vile in a way that would have leftists deplatformed at the speed of light:

https://twitter.com/papa_anastasis/status/1351998408526065672?s=20

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The Time & Motion man was the bane of every factory workers' life according to my grandparents - caused all sorts of divisive issues if there was one person on the line faster than everyone else and also if someone was having a bad time for whatever reason that made them a bit slower. Do they still have T&M persons? Haven't heard the phrase for years now.

of course not, that would be ridiculous - this is the 21st century after all. why would they need men with stopwatches, these days it's all done with computers of course! as part of my paper i found the wonderfully named harvest, one of many such time tracking softwares for professionals, and of course amazon warehouse workers get their own lil digital taylor on their private machines.

i suspect these days it's all "metrics" and "kpis" - although the variance between taylors stopwatches and piecemeal innovations and something like uber eats at time seems pretty superficial.

oh! also, this is cute. so you might read the above and think "how orwellian!" - wrong. you see, marxist science fiction writer and soviet dissident Yevgeny Zamyatin responded to taylorism with We (possibly alternately translatable as "My"), a dystopian novel about a future ruined by scientific management - where taylor's theories were taken to an absurd degree.

quote:

Yes, this Taylor was undoubtedly the greatest genius of the ancients. True, he did not come to the idea of applying his method to the whole life, to every step throughout the twenty-four hours of the day; he was unable to integrate his system from one o’clock to twenty-four. I cannot understand the ancients. How could they write whole libraries about some Kant and take notice only slightly of Taylor, of this prophet who saw ten centuries ahead?

this was a seminal work in the field of writing about the bad future, featuring a totalitarian government that controlled every element of a person's life, where surveillance was constant, the state keeps the population on edge with paranoia and propaganda and every person reduced to deterministic and dehumanized machinery. you may wonder if this could have possibly influenced say, some other dystopia, somehow, but you don't have to the man himself reviewed a french copy of the book extremely positively and it is considered an extremely heavily influence on his own dystopian fiction that came out just three years later - 1984.

which is to say, we can't call taylorism "orwellian", because in actual fact orwell's dystopia was "taylorist" - you'd have it backwards!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CoolCab posted:

of course not, that would be ridiculous - this is the 21st century after all. why would they need men with stopwatches, these days it's all done with computers of course! as part of my paper i found the wonderfully named harvest, one of many such time tracking softwares for professionals, and of course amazon warehouse workers get their own lil digital taylor on their private machines.

i suspect these days it's all "metrics" and "kpis" - although the variance between taylors stopwatches and piecemeal innovations and something like uber eats at time seems pretty superficial.

oh! also, this is cute. so you might read the above and think "how orwellian!" - wrong. you see, marxist science fiction writer and soviet dissident Yevgeny Zamyatin responded to taylorism with We (possibly alternately translatable as "My"), a dystopian novel about a future ruined by scientific management - where taylor's theories were taken to an absurd degree.

this was a seminal work in the field of writing about the bad future, featuring a totalitarian government that controlled every element of a person's life, where surveillance was constant, the state keeps the population on edge with paranoia and propaganda and every person reduced to deterministic and dehumanized machinery. you may wonder if this could have possibly influenced say, some other dystopia, somehow, but you don't have to the man himself reviewed a french copy of the book extremely positively and it is considered an extremely heavily influence on his own dystopian fiction that came out just three years later - 1984.

which is to say, we can't call taylorism "orwellian", because in actual fact orwell's dystopia was "taylorist" - you'd have it backwards!

I read that book many moons ago. Can't remember much about it. Is it the one where they lived in glass boxes?
(I joined a science fiction reading group in the 1980s for a couple of years at the City Lit when I lived in London and apart from a talk from Pratchett who had just had Equal Rites published, we did Handmaid's Tale, We, and a number of other books I can't recall all right now! (Door into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski was one - excellent book but I consider dangerous if you are in a 'wanna die' mood - well it was for me anyway!)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I read that book many moons ago. Can't remember much about it. Is it the one where they lived in glass boxes?
(I joined a science fiction reading group in the 1980s for a couple of years at the City Lit when I lived in London and apart from a talk from Pratchett who had just had Equal Rites published, we did Handmaid's Tale, We, and a number of other books I can't recall all right now! (Door into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski was one - excellent book but I consider dangerous if you are in a 'wanna die' mood - well it was for me anyway!)

yes, that's right! i've not read it myself but i might now. chomsky says it's better than 1984 conceptually but not in execution, which sounds kind of interesting.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CoolCab posted:

yes, that's right! i've not read it myself but i might now. chomsky says it's better than 1984 conceptually but not in execution, which sounds kind of interesting.

As a work in translation it probably loses something. I've found that sometimes (on the very rare occasions I've understood enough of a foreign language to read at least part of a book in original) that translations tend to make the writing more simple (and sometimes wrong).

Anyway, in case you don't know, you can download it free from Project Gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61963 (It's public domain now.)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
modern management patter derives a great deal from continuous improvement, which derives from WE Deming railing against prioritizing intermediary quantities rather than system design - at least in theory, anyway

management theory did not back off from quantification for ethical concerns but because it was too apparent that one could optimize the wrong quantities (to the point of arguably exaggerating the the Hawthorne effect studies)

really, the shift from Taylorism to process management reflects more the sociology of labour. If labourers are generational communities of families and households, from towns organically forming around work sites, then Taylorism's ferocious emphasis on unambiguously picking apart the ~facts~ of individual performance over socially constructed realities makes more sense. But by the postwar 1950s with mass secondary education, mass mobility, and surging women's labour force participation, labour increasingly comes pre-atomized and predisposed to a rhetoric of shared goals anyway. That's how Deming and Mayo come on stage. By the time Deming is on there arguing for worker ownership of the product, workers no longer seriously dispute that product consistency and repeatability should be a legitimate goal on the worksite - that e.g. craftsmanship to flexibly adapt to changing input materials was inferior, as a process, to having less craftsmanship and instead more uniform inputs

we do see Taylorism returning today in e.g. software analytics and usage monitoring. The poor quality of metrics matters less when they're so cheap to gather... A/B testing the exact shade of blue would have made Taylor very proud

ronya fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ronya posted:

modern management patter derives a great deal from continuous improvement, which derives from WE Deming railing against prioritizing intermediary quantities rather than system design - at least in theory, anyway

management theory did not back off from quantification for ethical concerns but because it was too apparent that one could optimize the wrong quantities (to the point of arguably exaggerating the the Hawthorne effect studies)

really, the shift from Taylorism to process management reflects more the sociology of labour. If labourers are pool as generational communities of families and households, from towns organically forming around work sites, then Taylorism's ferocious emphasis on unambiguously picking apart the ~facts~ of individual performance over socially constructed realities makes more sense. But by the postwar 1950s with mass secondary education, mass mobility, and surging women's labour force participation, labour increasingly comes pre-atomized and predisposed to a rhetoric of shared goals anyway. That's how Deming and Mayo come on stage. By the time Deming is on there arguing for worker ownership of the product, workers no longer seriously dispute that product consistency and repeatability should be a legitimate goal on the worksite - that e.g. craftsmanship to flexibly adapt to changing input materials was inferior, as a process, to having less craftsmanship and instead more uniform inputs

we do see Taylorism returning today in e.g. software analytics and usage monitoring. The poor quality of metrics matters less when they're so cheap to gather... A/B testing the exact shade of blue would have made Taylor very proud

yeah, my contrast in this particular piece was follett who i do not think sucked total rear end by comparison*, and her concepts of power with and power over. it's funny they were considered contemporaries and that she was seen as part of the scientific management movement, (i find her VERY different to read to taylor, who, to reiterate, sucked total rear end) but a lot of her most interesting and lasting influence was well after she died. i used it as a kind of contrast in the conclusion, i am pretty happy with it - bit of a carrot and stick analogy.

*i didn't look super hard, i have a weird feeling she was into eugenics? still, “Genuine power can only be grown, it will slip from every arbitrary hand that grasps it; for genuine power is not coercive control, but coactive control. Coercive power is the curse of the universe; coactive power, the enrichment and advancement of every human soul.” is a drat good line.