Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

kronix posted:

The F30 to me has gotten better with age whereas the e9X sedans just look awful.

Well those are certainly words you put together and formed a sentence.

There is a pallet cleanser we all needed and contrary to the current opine all black everything is not the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

that's a nice M3, ether frenzy. word of advice from your friend kotex: get the all black kidney grills
Did they all come with the chrome kidneys? I know mine are black now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There is a pallet cleanser we all needed and contrary to the current opine all black everything is not the answer.

I notice you were very careful to avoid posting the least attractive view of it (the front)

I'll probably switch to black grille surrounds on the E39. the current grille is breaking and the grille surround is the only bright chrome on the entire car so it looks a little weird.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Newt Island mega (eh, mega enough) post.

PM'd

Seems to be a new url on the invite link every page load, so I thought I'd see how many invites I have.

E: also got these folk-

glyph fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 19, 2021

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Nice I'm in, so if there's some sort of reg limit shoot me a PM and I can keep the invite chain going

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

gvibes posted:

Black was a factory option for certain trim levels I think. I know BMW makes them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I notice you were very careful to avoid posting the least attractive view of it (the front)

It is still not bad. POWER DOME!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I agree that the gentle slope of the front of the hood to the bumper looks really bad compared to more modern, squared off designs. Even compared with the e46 it looks weird now.

It's the main reason I'll probably never buy another Z4M (which I LOVED) and would probably buy an e46 M3 over an e9x.

Really a shame, because the styling of the rest of the car is spot on.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why does it have an underbite?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

As one of those idiots that leases new BMWs over and over again, I went ahead and leased another one.

Everything feels like an improvement over my F30 330e. Especially the color.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's a good color but man i cannot get over that fake grille

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I think that grill is actually real bit it is an active grill made from superior german polymer that will turn brittle with time and break.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

glyph posted:

Newt Island

Got it, thanks a lot!

Can keep the invite chain too, reply/post or pm.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
love that blue but not that grill

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think that grill is actually real bit it is an active grill made from superior german polymer that will turn brittle with time and break.

i did not realize this and good god watching a video of it makes it look like it's guaranteed to break

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You're cheating, the M3 actually looks significantly better than the base models and the S65 is worth any ugliness.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

E90 looks better then 92 to me. It’s beauty

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

E90 looks better then 92 to me.

agreed, E92 looks a little awkward

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm no expert but I did test drive the E91 against the F31 basically back to back and the particular E91s transmission that I drove was awful, it felt slower than my Nissan Rogue unless you stomped on it at every crossing. The F31 on the otherhand was fine, nothing spectacular but fine. I used to own an E90 and have driven my friends F30 335i as well

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

gvibes posted:

not if you have shadowline trim.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

flightless greeb posted:

I'm no expert but I did test drive the E91 against the F31 basically back to back and the particular E91s transmission that I drove was awful, it felt slower than my Nissan Rogue unless you stomped on it at every crossing. The F31 on the otherhand was fine, nothing spectacular but fine. I used to own an E90 and have driven my friends F30 335i as well

Automatic transmissions today are literally lightyears ahead of where they were a decade ago. You couldn't pay me to drive one back then but here I am today DD'ing a car with a ZF8 speed because it's even better than the manual. It even has DSG farts.

One day I'll pick up a weekender with a 6 speed.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-596671-e9x-unit-with-oem-tray/

i had no idea this existed, pretty awesome: replace the center console tray in an e9x with a wireless phone charger.

kronix posted:

because it's even better than the manual
nope lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the 8HPXX is truly incredible but it's not the same experience at all

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Not starting this discussion but better in my case means shifts faster, harder and more reliably than I ever could while making fun noises. Every car I owned before my latest one had a manual and I've driven my fair share and let's just say the 6 speed in my F30 335i wasn't what I'd call a precision instrument. I've only driven an M car with the DSG so maybe those are better.

In fact, my chinese-made, everyone complains about it MT-82 in my old long-gone Mustang GT was a way better transmission other than some minor clunkiness in second when it was really cold

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i would take the shittiest, notchiest, mushiest, long-throwiest manual over the snappiest DSG any day

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's a moot point since BMW is killing off their DCT, but I don't understand that mindset at all

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

gonna post this again

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think 50% of this thread are reminders that I should have bought an e90 m3.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Nah, your cars are way cooler and poo poo the engine 50% less.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Good news friendo. If you can read this:

You’re not dead
You can buy an E90 M3.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

not if you have shadowline trim.

I have the shadowline trim package, but mine came with the chromes, not sure if that changed in later years/post LCI but I *think* they all came with chrome from the factory. I'm 50/50 on the chrome ones, don't love them but they match the wheels and since everything else on the car is stock I haven't changed them out.

There's a learning curve to driving with the E9x's DCT as it's clunkier than a traditional automatic with a torque converter, and if you don't have the shift snappiness set up correctly since you're driving a test drive at the dealer & you're in low-key "D" mode starting off, the transmission shifts will feel 100% different than full snap in M Mode/"S" shifts.

The shift aggression "3" mark (of 5) is the best feeling for the car in D mode, in my opinion. Lower and it feels laggy, higher and it feels like you're bad at pressing the gas pedal right.
"5" for M mode, and if you turn the traction control totally off you can crank it up to "6" to really slam those gearshifts home.

I drove a manual before buying this even though I was already 99% getting this one, and I was very underwhelmed with the feeling of the shift & clutch pedal - just didn't feel anywhere near as bespoke as the rest of the car's components - and the engine demands about 30 shifts a minute if you're really going for it since it revs so quickly so I decided the DCT was the way to go. I haven't regretted it in the slightest.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-596671-e9x-unit-with-oem-tray/

i had no idea this existed, pretty awesome: replace the center console tray in an e9x with a wireless phone charger.

nope lol

I have one, unused, in my garage if you want one. I went ProClip Magsafe for my car instead.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have the shadowline trim package, but mine came with the chromes, not sure if that changed in later years/post LCI but I *think* they all came with chrome from the factory. I'm 50/50 on the chrome ones, don't love them but they match the wheels and since everything else on the car is stock I haven't changed them out.

There's a learning curve to driving with the E9x's DCT as it's clunkier than a traditional automatic with a torque converter, and if you don't have the shift snappiness set up correctly since you're driving a test drive at the dealer & you're in low-key "D" mode starting off, the transmission shifts will feel 100% different than full snap in M Mode/"S" shifts.

The shift aggression "3" mark (of 5) is the best feeling for the car in D mode, in my opinion. Lower and it feels laggy, higher and it feels like you're bad at pressing the gas pedal right.
"5" for M mode, and if you turn the traction control totally off you can crank it up to "6" to really slam those gearshifts home.

I drove a manual before buying this even though I was already 99% getting this one, and I was very underwhelmed with the feeling of the shift & clutch pedal - just didn't feel anywhere near as bespoke as the rest of the car's components - and the engine demands about 30 shifts a minute if you're really going for it since it revs so quickly so I decided the DCT was the way to go. I haven't regretted it in the slightest.

I agree with all of this. I felt like I was missing out with my DCT 335is and drove a manual M3 and left underwhelmed. Felt more frantic than low horsepower Hondas.

My car has since been retrofitted with M3 software and man oh man the M6 mode is insane. Certainly takes getting used to, like you said. I have been working with an individual to allow custom configuration of M3GTS software to help with some of the odd behavior of the DCT.

Anyway, love your car every time it is posted. It is what I actually want instead of my car...

ThirstyBuck posted:

I have a 09 E91 and I’m considering, given these prices, of swapping it out for an F31. I find the 328i tepid and the auto trans terrible. Anyone here owned both that can comment?

Wow, that is an amazing combination of colors (interior and exterior). This is the car I want for our household and our dogs. So cool.

jink fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 20, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah thirsty where you located, that would be a dope donor car for a m swap

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I was told you were talking about E90 M3s and DCTs.

I agree with what Ether said and also I've found with mine that over the years a couple times it 'learned' itself into a lovely state where it'd start doing stuff like leaving me hanging when getting back on the gas after slowing to a near-stop (like, taking a right turn at a red light). Both times the dealer reset it and it was good again after that.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

gonna post this again

herehaveansmg.jpg

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

frunksock posted:

I was told you were talking about E90 M3s and DCTs.

I agree with what Ether said and also I've found with mine that over the years a couple times it 'learned' itself into a lovely state where it'd start doing stuff like leaving me hanging when getting back on the gas after slowing to a near-stop (like, taking a right turn at a red light). Both times the dealer reset it and it was good again after that.

Have you or Ether considered the ZSUB change to M3-GTS logic? It isn't terribly difficult. Helps with the 'on-off-on' hesitations. It also defaults into a higher mode from cold start and shift speed. I've seen people do it remotely for a few hundred, but it requires minimal equipment. I might be talking way lower level than anyone wants to get into with the software....

Other than software, be sure to do a DCT flush. I was having quite a bit of DCT issues in low speed situations and hesitations. Changing the two filters and the unicorn tear fluid helped tremendously. I learned that the M3 crew likes to do this every 60k miles. I was at 110k (yikes).

jink fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 20, 2021

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

jink posted:

Have you or Ether considered the ZSUB change to M3-GTS logic? It isn't terribly difficult. Helps with the 'on-off-on' hesitations. It also defaults into a higher mode from cold start and shift speed. I've seen people do it remotely for a few hundred, but it requires minimal equipment. I might be talking way lower level than anyone wants to get into with the software....

No I don't know what that is. I'm pretty happy with it as it is, and after ten of years of pressing the button twice to put it into S5 every time I start the car, I don't even notice I'm doing it anymore :P

quote:

Other than software, be sure to do a DCT flush. I was having quite a bit of DCT issues in low speed situations and hesitations. Changing the two filters and the unicorn tear fluid helped tremendously. I learned that the M3 crew likes to do this every 60k miles. I was at 110k (yikes).

Yeah I just had to do mine, at 70k, but because it was leaking.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assume that my DCT got new fluid when BMW installed a brand new transmission. Best deal for the 50 dollar CPO deductible I ever spent.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have an LCI w/the shadow line trim and it has a chrome grill surround. I agree that it seems to fit the rest of the car.

jink posted:

Wow, that is an amazing combination of colors (interior and exterior). This is the car I want for our household and our dogs. So cool.

Thanks, I really enjoy it. The color combo was, among other reasons, why I sprang for this one. It's saddle on tasman. And it serves exactly that purpose for us.

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah thirsty where you located, that would be a dope donor car for a m swap

I'm in PA. I do have a secret desire for the N52 to grenade so I can drop a S65 in there. There is a hillbilly BMW chop shop around that corner that would do it for me.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've considered the M3-GTS DCT tune if/when I do the rod bearings because they will do it for free at the same time, I'm at 34k miles so don't need to change the DCT fluid anytime soon but it's on my mechanic's list of "things to think about in the future".

jink posted:

Anyway, love your car every time it is posted. It is what I actually want instead of my car...
Thanks! I dig seeing everyone's cars here myself, there's always something neat popping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've considered the M3-GTS DCT tune if/when I do the rod bearings because they will do it for free at the same time, I'm at 34k miles so don't need to change the DCT fluid anytime soon but it's on my mechanic's list of "things to think about in the future".
What's a good mileage to do the rod bearings? I talked a non-enthusiast good friend into an E92 M3 (with carbon roof!) many years ago and should probably tell him to look into it...