Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Zazi posted:

some of the worst takes I've ever heard on Snyder here today. The man is a garbage fire who doesn't understand anything he's doing past aesthetic sheen.

what do you think he doesn’t understand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Baby driver is insanely good sound design wise and I credit it with turning me into an annoying surround sound guy. I think it's funny when people say they missed all the graffiti in it. The opening credits draws it to the foreground multiple times and I think people actually switch their brains off when they see a credits sequence because it's so in your face for the first minute or so of the movie

E: another classic turnbeug double up

I basically watch movies to switch off my brain for a while. Anything more than surface level stuff, im just not going to pay attention to.

Makes enjoying movies a lot easier.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Yeah that's fair I guess I'm just always amped up to defend the active viewing of a flick because deadshits love to say I'm reading too much into a movie by paying attention to the very obvious symbology that filmmakers feel compelled to scatter around to make sure people get the point whether they watch it actively or passively. I don't find most movies fun to watch the way you do at all but different strokes ofc

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 20, 2021

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Yeah that's fair I guess I'm just always amped up to defend the active viewing of a flick because deadshits love to say I'm reading too much into a movie by paying attention to the very obvious symbology that filmmakers feel compelled to scatter around to make sure people get the point whether they watch it actively or passively. I don't find most movies fun to watch the way you do at all but different strokes ofc

Yeah, you do you. I enjoy going and watching other people analysing films that I liked as long as they are entertaining about it. Thats why I recommend cinema wins, and movies by mikey. I just dont like doing the analysing myself.

I just do enough analysis shite during the day that I like to zone out and watch super heroes punch each other and car chases and things that go boom.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm thinking specifically of movies I like to watch passively and it's mostly comfort nostalgia poo poo like princess bride and empire records. I find tv is a bit easier to do that with. I don't enjoy prestige tv as much as I do wanky film

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Analysing movies makes me fuckin horned up. If a movie doesn't have interesting symbolism or themes I get insanely bored incredibly quickly. I think it is a byproduct of playing a lot of videogames my entire life.

If I want to zone out I will watch a sitcom or play a videogame.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tiny fly landed in my wine

Watching it die the way I wanna

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Wading through the lengthy essays on the verisimilitude of so and so director's take on "oval office in tight clothes and cape uses super magic man powers to punch brightly coloured bad guy" to ask: what the gently caress is wrong with sea shanties?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tiny fly landed in my wine

Watching it die the way I wanna

Watching flies drown until I feel the way I want to feel.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I am suspicious of people that aspire to 'realism' in movies tbh, the entire process of capturing the human essence visually like that involves a major element of hyperrealism. I really genuinely liked his watchmen adaptation. It copped a lot of poo poo and it was really on the nose even by his standards but I liked that it attempted to make something that was both gritty and completely over the top and absurd and full of visual metaphor.

Reminds me of a really Cool effect in STALKER

https://youtu.be/YNdxP12dFos

That reality is not obeying normal time and space rules when a bird flys into a room twice

And its accomplished with a straight cut and asks the audience to accept it , like

"Yes at this moment you are looking at a rip in reality vthat looks like a movie cut"

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Analysing movies makes me fuckin horned up. If a movie doesn't have interesting symbolism or themes I get insanely bored incredibly quickly. I think it is a byproduct of playing a lot of videogames my entire life.

If I want to zone out I will watch a sitcom or play a videogame.

I watched and read 2001 a space Odyssey and was checking out some YouTube hot takes on it

I found a video of a dude showing chronological cuts of the film and talking over it saying poo poo like " note the shape of the screen here, but there are green suits this is important for later, this motion is actually impossible" etc

Like dude, write an essay or let people watch the film don't be like that dude on Southpark being like "DO YOU SEE!?!?"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I love watching movies. Smart movies and dumb movies, good movies and bad movies. As long as its not boring and shows some degree of creativity I'm totally down to watch a movie. If its an interesting and intelligent movie I'm always down to watch a video of someone who is better informed than me give me their take on it. Like, everyone shits on Marvel but there is a degree of artistry that goes into them and honestly, I just wanna see what they're up to because there hasn't been anything like them in film history.

I'm sure most of you have seen Every Frame a Painting on youtube but it really is the best film channel out there.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I am suspicious of people that aspire to 'realism' in movies tbh, the entire process of capturing the human essence visually like that involves a major element of hyperrealism. I really genuinely liked his watchmen adaptation. It copped a lot of poo poo and it was really on the nose even by his standards but I liked that it attempted to make something that was both gritty and completely over the top and absurd and full of visual metaphor.

Also making a movie/game realistic is reaaaaally unimaginative.

Happy no-Trump day!

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 20, 2021

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

NPR Journalizard posted:

I basically watch movies to switch off my brain for a while. Anything more than surface level stuff, im just not going to pay attention to.

Makes enjoying movies a lot easier.

Same

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Oh right, seems like a big fast moving thread I'm sure a low effort poo poo post wouldn't touch the sides of the esteemed posters of PYF

*Me checking pyf rules a week later*

Can't believe talking about sea shanties is a sixer now

Matey

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Pulling 10k to put that last little bit towards a house deposit: broke
Pulling 10k to buy rims: woke

idiots withdrawing super to the tune of the Curb your Enthusiasm theme song

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

That was one of the most brokebrained ideas even by this brokebrained government's lofty standards. It's going to put substantial added strain on our pension system in the next few decades, when it's probably going to be even more hosed than now.

e: as the thread points out, there's going to be some sweet deals on 2nd-hand boats, etc. in a few years at least.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 21, 2021

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Sick. I want to buy a nice trailer sailer but all the prices actually went up during the pandemic.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

McSpergin posted:

Pulling 10k to put that last little bit towards a house deposit: broke
Pulling 10k to buy rims: woke

idiots withdrawing super to the tune of the Curb your Enthusiasm theme song

tbh I wouldn't believe anything on reddit, i'm pretty sure its all fakeposts

big yikes on my new avatar; apologies to everyone itt that I'm just turning avatars off instead of spending 5 bucks on a weird internet beef

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 21, 2021

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

tbh I wouldn't believe anything on reddit, i'm pretty sure its all fakeposts

big yikes on my new avatar; apologies to everyone itt that I'm just turning avatars off instead of spending 5 bucks on a weird internet beef

My sister just told me about a colleague who just did a similar thing. Pulled 10k and pissed it away

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Stupid people are real Malcolm don't you get it

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I left my super exactly where it belongs in it's account

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I was going to say that I just mean that reddit is basically "poo poo that didn't happen: the website" but then I realised that really fits twitter better

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

McSpergin posted:

Stupid people are real Malcolm don't you get it

I have never met a person stupider than me so this doesn't seem true

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I left my super exactly where it belongs in it's account

Same. I don't know anyone who pulled theirs out

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I only know one person who pulled their super but amongst the teaching crowd it didn't seem to be popular I think mostly because we weren't out of work during the pandemic

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

couldnt you pump extra money into your super up to a certain amount to then pull out as a deposit for a home?

i'd do that, if it was pre-tax income.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

No no no not the M15+ kid...!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Lube Enthusiast posted:

What happened?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I went to buy guitar strings and came home with this:

Technically, I DID buy strings.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Laserface posted:

couldnt you pump extra money into your super up to a certain amount to then pull out as a deposit for a home?

My knowledge might be out date but afaik there's usually big tax penalties for pulling super out earlier than retirement age, and also you have to ask the government for permission to do it. When my dad had terminal cancer my mum was trying to pull money out of her super so they could go on holidays together before he got too sick to travel and it was a shitfight to get it cleared.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

I went to buy guitar strings and came home with this:

Technically, I DID buy strings.

very aesthetic ... what model is that ? Ibanez' naming scheme boils my brain.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

RG421 something something BRG (blue reef gradient colour).

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

what the gently caress am I supposed to do with this many peaches?

well why not posted:

what do you think he doesn’t understand?
[edit]
eh, that was unnecessary

CAMP FARTING ROCKS fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 21, 2021

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Lube Enthusiast posted:

that's mcspergin

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I would simply write a song about the peaches and become wildly successful as a recording artist

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Did someone say the Gamer Word live on stream?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

bee posted:

My knowledge might be out date but afaik there's usually big tax penalties for pulling super out earlier than retirement age, and also you have to ask the government for permission to do it. When my dad had terminal cancer my mum was trying to pull money out of her super so they could go on holidays together before he got too sick to travel and it was a shitfight to get it cleared.

im pretty sure what im talking about was a fed-lib thing they introduced for housing affordability when Morrison came in that did not have the high tax rate applied to pulling this very specific amount of money for a specific purchase early.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zazi posted:

what the gently caress am I supposed to do with this many peaches?

[edit]
eh, that was unnecessary

We just got about 20kg of plums of my in-laws tree.
We borrowed a dehydrater and made prunes and made a fair bit of jam.
Also ate a lot of plums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Laserface posted:

bee posted:

There's the First Home Super Saver scheme which is what you're thinking of. You put in voluntary contributions (up to $15k/year and $30k total) which you can then get a tax rebate on, and then you can redraw it at the time of buying a first home.