Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Does he live across the river from Istanbul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Food Boner posted:

i like imperiolis absolute belief in nostradamus roswell and the like and schrippa's like ok whatever

Quasimodo predicted this

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos
I don't trust this cookie poo poo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They get you through the data port.

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos
Don't have medicine they're supposed to take, these assholes?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

CHODEGOD420 posted:

Don't have medicine they're supposed to take, these assholes?

That one kills me.

Dude, you hit him in the head with a brick.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder who they substitute for Columbus in the St. Christopher episode.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ruddiger posted:

I wonder who they substitute for Columbus in the St. Christopher episode.

https://twitter.com/SeanPWhiteley/status/1345536965815521282

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
nostradamus roswell is my favorite disco elysium character

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I seen someone post last night they are about half way through S2 of the Wire and "not getting the hype". I must say 2 isn't as good as 1 so far, I think we're at ep8 now, but its all starting to come together nicely all the same. I thought I disliked Bubs but Ziggy, man. Hope that kid gets got

I still cant put it alongside the Sopranos though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

codo27 posted:

I seen someone post last night they are about half way through S2 of the Wire and "not getting the hype". I must say 2 isn't as good as 1 so far, I think we're at ep8 now, but its all starting to come together nicely all the same. I thought I disliked Bubs but Ziggy, man. Hope that kid gets got

That's a common reaction but for whatever reason S2 seems to grow on people in retrospect.

Disliking Bubbles, however, is not common at all. In fact you're the first person I've ever heard say that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

codo27 posted:

how in the name of gently caress could you possibly dislike Bubs?!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I didn't care for season 2 the first time around but it's my second favourite season now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's my second favorite season too, though I liked it right from the start. I can certainly see why it threw so many viewers for a loop though when they first see it, it really does feel like they're largely moving on from the dynamic of the first season at first.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I think people don't like S2 initially because of how far it strays from the Barksdale story. After S1, it's easy to think the show is going to be 5 seasons of McNulty trying to take down Avon or Stringer or the general drug trade in the projects. But viewed in the context of the series as a whole, S2 fits in better than it does just compared to S1.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

how in the name of gently caress could you possibly dislike Bubs?!

I largely dislike him too. The magical wise crackhead with a heart of gold shtick gets old real fast after s1. I was rooting for the guy who beats the poo poo out of him by the time s3 (or w/e season that plotline was) rolled around.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I think people don't like S2 initially because of how far it strays from the Barksdale story. After S1, it's easy to think the show is going to be 5 seasons of McNulty trying to take down Avon or Stringer or the general drug trade in the projects. But viewed in the context of the series as a whole, S2 fits in better than it does just compared to S1.

This. I think once people stayed with it and realized that each season would have a different emphasis S2 made more sense. Even though "all the pieces matter", how they all fit and interact isn't readily apparent until the thing really unfolds. But, yeah, most people reaching S2 for the first time were like "who the gently caress are these people, why do I care and where the gently caress are my corner boys, towers and major crimes unit?"

Man. Bubbles is probably my favorite character. Maybe because I've had addiction issues but mostly I think it's because Bubbles is great.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

I largely dislike him too. The magical wise crackhead with a heart of gold shtick gets old real fast after s1. I was rooting for the guy who beats the poo poo out of him by the time s3 (or w/e season that plotline was) rolled around.

Eh I don't think he's really magical at all, he eats a lot of poo poo and fucks up a ton throughout the series, he hits rock bottom pretty hard before he starts getting his poo poo together for real. I liked him.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Man. Bubbles is probably my favorite character. Maybe because I've had addiction issues but mostly I think it's because Bubbles is great.

So if you've been down that road, why would you like him? I really want to understand this here. I really resent drugs because I've seen them consume too many people.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

codo27 posted:

So if you've been down that road, why would you like him? I really want to understand this here. I really resent drugs because I've seen them consume too many people.

Have you finished the series?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

codo27 posted:

I can relate to his struggle, his rationalizations, his heart and I think the actor does great work with him. The writers do a good job as well of not painting his issues in a black and white "drug users are wastes" way. I don't resent drugs at all in and of themselves. A lot of people are addicts just like Bubbles is but they get legally prescribed pain killers, diet pills or drink even though they hold down jobs and have families. There's more addicts than you think out there.

I don't paint him with that one dimensional "junkie with a heart of gold" brush entirely either. He steals. He fucks over his sister to the point of getting banned from her home. He's a snitch. I think the show does a good job of showing his desperation, desire to be better, innate intelligence, the mental gymnastics he pulls and the real struggle of how hard it is to get clean when you feel like nothing matters.

We should probably take this to the Wire thread though.

To relate it to the thread, the Sopranos does a similarly good job of portraying addiction with Chris. We see it escalate over time and begin to affect his work. He doesn't shoot heroin once and transform into a drooling homeless idiot.

Imperiolli also plays "high" really well by never going over the top with it but still selling us that he's hosed up. His is one of the better portrayals of being under the influence that I've ever seen.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
“I DID-DENT” is one of the best line readings for a high person ever, especially because he still thinks he’s pulling it off at that point.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't paint him with that one dimensional "junkie with a heart of gold" brush entirely either. He steals. He fucks over his sister to the point of getting banned from her home. He's a snitch. I think the show does a good job of showing his desperation, desire to be better, innate intelligence, the mental gymnastics he pulls and the real struggle of how hard it is to get clean when you feel like nothing matters.

Yeah and even when he is working with the cops to take down the barksdales, he's not doing it out of any sense of civic pride or moral goodness, he does it to get revenge for johnny and also drug money. I think it would have been easy to make bubbles a magical negro (i feel weird writing that but it's a real trope, that's what it's called, look it up i'm not racist i swear) but i don't think the wire does that, bubbles spends a lot of the show as an addict whose main motivation is to get and do drugs at all costs before hitting bottom and trying to stop.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

codo27 posted:

This is a really bizarre thing to say. Why wouldn't you empathise with someone you relate to? And if you hate drugs why would you transfer that hate to the victims rather than the people who perpetuate the problem (ie every other character in the series).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

“I DID-DENT” is one of the best line readings for a high person ever, especially because he still thinks he’s pulling it off at that point.

Agreed. I also like when he's in the car with that hitman junkie kid about to relapse and the conversation they have. You can see Chris try to pretend that he's more interested in his new house, wife and unborn kid than he is in that needle and what's in it.

"My kid...He'll proud of his house."

"It'll be nice...Christmas...you'll come ovah..."

And the classic "She must've crawled under there for warmth." when he 86's Little Cossette.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah and even when he is working with the cops to take down the barksdales, he's not doing it out of any sense of civic pride or moral goodness, he does it to get revenge for johnny and also drug money. ...bubbles spends a lot of the show as an addict whose main motivation is to get and do drugs at all costs before hitting bottom and trying to stop.

Kind of this.

I've been there (but never with heroin) where, when you're in it priority #1 is to score. Period. Your Heart of Gold or whatever that guy called it quickly turns to stone. You score FIRST, use and then rationalize it or dream up whatever excuses you'll need for later...well...later.

I never read Bubs as being portrayed as a saint I guess and certainly didn't think he was a trope or a cliche. He was certainly a victim and a relatively powerless one at that but he also caused a lot harm. poo poo...when you think about it, Bubs helping to take down the Barksdales actively fucks his poo poo up and works against his own self interest considering having them around makes it easier for him to score.

Ah poo poo double post

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. I also like when he's in the car with that hitman junkie kid about to relapse and the conversation they have. You can see Chris try to pretend that he's more interested in his new house, wife and unborn kid than he is in that needle and what's in it.

"My kid...He'll proud of his house."

"It'll be nice...Christmas...you'll come ovah..."

And the classic "She must've crawled under there for warmth." when he 86's Little Cossette.

I also enjoy all the scenes where Chris is trying to get high and then Tony calls him to come deal with some emergency. It happens often enough that a sober viewer might think "well why would you do that when you're obviously on call" but of course that's not your thought process when you're addicted to something

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

codo27 posted:

"why would you empathize with a person who is struggling in a way similar to how you struggled?" Is that the actual question?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ishamael posted:

"why would you empathize with a person who is struggling in a way similar to how you struggled?" Is that the actual question?

I'm wondering if that poster hasn't actually seen the show and mistakenly thinks Bubbles is a dealer?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The drunk acting on the Sopranos is great (I think because they actually did drink?) but yeah, Christopher getting high is one of the best portrayals of it, mostly because instead of focusing on the actual injection and that moment of euphoria/rush, it's more about him stumbling his dumb rear end about trying to pass for sober in front of people who absolutely know (or should know) better.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sorry I'm only part way through season 2 and don't wanna go to the wire thread and get spoiled.

I guess I feel if I'd been down that road, I wouldn't want to be reminded of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

codo27 posted:

I guess I feel if I'd been down that road, I wouldn't want to be reminded of it.

That actually can be triggering. Like in the way where if you're trying to quit smoking and you watch a movie where people light up constantly. I can only speak for myself but I can imagine a recovering heroin user might feel the same way when he sees "that spike". I dunno. I've never used heroin but I've heard that the ritual element involved with it is a big part of the addiction (cooking it, tying off, loading the shot).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest I didn’t care for bubbles either.

But that’s because his subplots are really boring

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

BiggerBoat posted:

That actually can be triggering. Like in the way where if you're trying to quit smoking and you watch a movie where people light up constantly. I can only speak for myself but I can imagine a recovering heroin user might feel the same way when he sees "that spike". I dunno. I've never used heroin but I've heard that the ritual element involved with it is a big part of the addiction (cooking it, tying off, loading the shot).

Yea, seeing your DOC being used can be triggering, especially the ritual. But that's different than a character that is an addict being in a show. The Wire and the Sopranos show them using it but not a lot or very often, especially compared to all the drinking.

Its pretty hard to consume media and avoid any mention or depiction of drug and alcohol use, part of recovery is getting used to seeing people use/enjoy things that you cannot. Just count the number of beer commercials you see when watching anything or the alcohol billboards you see on a daily basis, you just gotta get used to it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was listening to a We Hate Movies podcast and the subject of the Coen Brothers and specifically Gandolfini came up. If you guys haven't seen it, The Man Who Wasn't There is really good, underrated, and James gives a great performance. Too bad he didn't get a chance to show his true range.

I wonder sometimes what kind of jobs he might have been offered had he lived longer. Often times it's pretty hard for an actor to shake an iconic role like he was known for. Do you guys think he would have branched out further, been reduced to a sitcom, or kind of vanished for a while until Tarantino or Scorcese got around to casting him in something?

Sad to say it, but I bet he would have wound up in a TV role as an angry dad on a sitcom since no one can see him as anything but Tony. Then again, I could see him getting cast on stuff like True Detective too and continuing down the prestige TV road with the right creative team. Wonder if they could have fit him into the MCU or DCU?

He'd have made a great Penguin in a Batman film now that I think about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The show itself squandered everything after a great first episode, but Gandolfini was originally cast as the lawyer in The Night Of..., but died before production started and was replaced by John Turturro.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
For the record, sir, you are "Snitchin' Bubs", Viscount of Hamsterdam?

*Bubbles halfway out the door with the judge's suitcase*

quote:

Bubblechat

Agreed on all points. I would also say that many characters in the show are supposed to be ambiguous. Avon Barksdale is a good example. He grew up in a dog-eat-dog world (remember he and Stringer's motto, anthem and modus operandi? "Us.") and barely trusted anyone, because he was stronger than the people around him. His distrust must have formed early, since he hardly even exists on paper, and he was an astute criminal - he didn't kill police and he rewarded his best knights with pieces of his kingdom because he knew better than to get too greedy. He was a hustler, plain and simple.

Bubbles grew up in the same part of town as Barksdale, but he has his own M.O. Also for a heroin addict, he seems to have the tatters of a code. He doesn't steal from his friends iirc (although that might not be altruism) and at times he shows disgust with his situation instead of despair. The times I really like Bubbles is when he shows inner strength. The clowny poo poo he does is just his sadness, really. It's not meant to be amusing.

Anyway, I'm not going to spoil the show here but I will say that a lot of the characters end up changing from season to season and it's a pretty impressive weave when you see it all come into being. Just like the Sopranos in that way. It was good writing all the way through and I'm glad to have rewatched it. Glad for this thread, too. :)

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In my mind season 1 was always one of the weakest - cheesier music choices, much more of a sitcommy pastiche feel, wacky 'my family's trying to kill me, but which one?' plot.

Rewatching it though that's really just the pilot and maybe a couple of episodes after that. When it finds its feet it's fantastic straight away. I think that awful promo/poster must have coloured my perceptions over the years - it seriously gives the wrong impression of what the series is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

stev posted:

Rewatching it though that's really just the pilot and maybe a couple of episodes after that. When it finds its feet it's fantastic straight away. I think that awful promo/poster must have coloured my perceptions over the years - it seriously gives the wrong impression of what the series is.

I think the peak (or possibly nadir) was 'A Hit Is A Hit' which really did feel like a sitcom with a TV Guide blurb like 'Ade wants to go into the music biz with the help of a gansta rapper, Chris disapproves; Tony feels used by his new non-mafia friends; Carmela plays the stock market.' It doesn't have anything to do with the two episodes it's in the middle of, with 'Boca' giving us the catalyst of Tony finding out Uncle Junior whistles to the wheat fields and 'Nobody Knows Anything' where they think Pussy might be a rat and he vanishes.