Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I have no idea what they're trying to do

quote:

Such encounters gave Comey – who was fired in May 2017 – cause to reflect on why so many collaborators, enablers and enforcers have bowed to Trump’s will and embraced his alternative reality, defending the indefensible and proclaiming that two plus two equals five if the president has decreed it so.

“He rarely stops talking in a way that not only is filled with constant lying, but draws those to whom he’s speaking into an involuntary circle of assent. He has this way of lying and saying: ‘Everybody agrees and of course we all agree,’ and a wave of lies hits you.

“But it’s more complicated than that, because the person speaking is in some sense an object of reverence in the American civic religion: he’s sitting in the Oval Office and he’s the president of the United States, so you want to believe him and respect him.

“I think it’s something about that combination that makes him uniquely able to bend people – and he has bent lot of people. It’s a really hard thing to resist. I bent in small ways that I convinced myself were tactical. I gave silence in response to a request for loyalty and I said: ‘I’ll be honest,’ and then when I got ‘honest loyalty’ I agreed to that to get out of that conversation.”

This statement is about Trump, but it is not unique to Trump, it's rich entitled babies everywhere. The tories are governing, and now trying to conduct international diplomacy like this. It's the same behaviour they are used to exhibiting in their own personal lives - just make declarative statements in complete contradiction to reality, and expect the world to conform to your expectations. This works in their personal lives because they're always dealing with menials and employees who bend over backwards to give them what they want. These people are so ignorant, blinkered stupid, and cretinous that they think this is how the entire world works. I have ample direct, personal experience of this sort of behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I see we're breaking records again with 1200 dead a day on average for the last seven days

I honestly didn't think we'd exceed the death rate of the initial outbreak in the second wave, but here we are

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Angepain posted:

Now don't spread this around too much because it's kind of need-to-know at the moment, but my sister's boyfriend's brother works in the military and he tells me that the Red Watch is one of the main teams involved in the ongoing food distribution project maintaining the massive lasagne in Wembley Stadium. The Red Watch is there to ensure that the sauce is created correctly, transported efficiently and treated hygienically at all stages of the process. "gone SI" is very concerning in this context - it means that the main officer in charge of overseeing sauce production has Stolen Ingredients. Why would one of our brave boys stoop so low? Is there sabotage within the ranks of the lasagne project? Will this add further delays to an already way-overdue project? People are depending on this.

Jesus gently caress I do not need to be mixed up in this. I’ve thrown my phone in the river just to be on the safe side.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I see we're breaking records again with 1200 dead a day on average for the last seven days

I honestly didn't think we'd exceed the death rate of the initial outbreak in the second wave, but here we are

This time round it's in the middle of winter rather than coming into Spring, so it was always going to be harder work even without the new variant and Christmas. Of course if we had a Government with object permanence and an Opposition that actually, you know, opposed then things would have been rather different, but here we are.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gort posted:

Imagine if we'd had a proper lockdown in sept/oct, how different it might have been.

Like, you can see a tiny drop in the numbers then.

God how has this been handled in literally the worst way possible whilst still appearing to actually make the attempt?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

I did, January was going to be a special hell for multiple reasons unless they had all lessons learned from wave one in place and took hard action over Christmas, and guess what they didn't have the will, competence, or backbone to do.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

communism bitch posted:

This statement is about Trump, but it is not unique to Trump, it's rich entitled babies everywhere. The tories are governing, and now trying to conduct international diplomacy like this. It's the same behaviour they are used to exhibiting in their own personal lives - just make declarative statements in complete contradiction to reality, and expect the world to conform to your expectations. This works in their personal lives because they're always dealing with menials and employees who bend over backwards to give them what they want. These people are so ignorant, blinkered stupid, and cretinous that they think this is how the entire world works. I have ample direct, personal experience of this sort of behaviour.

I see you've also met army officers.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

goddamnedtwisto posted:

now you've got 25 year olds using words like "rumpus" because that's what they've been told to use.

Rumpus pumpus, the vulgar Latin terminology for coitus.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gort posted:

In the 1918-20 flu epidemic the great majority of the deaths came in the second wave.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wave 3 for spring then?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ThomasPaine posted:

Right wing papers like the Sun seem to have a lexicon all of their own - 'bonking', 'boffins' etc - that despite the huge sales haven't really transferred to society at large for some reason. You could probably write a thesis on why that is and where they came from, someone probably has tbh

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DY0UACQ

(bought ages ago for a quid but never read :o: )

edit: also re: heat pumps, my house is double glazed, cavity insulated and loft-lined. I should really give the guy a callback, they've tried twice but lol at picking up an unknown number and also ugh and actually making a phone call.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Wave 3 for spring then?

Ah, an optimist that believes we'll be out of the second wave by March.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The new case counts have been dropping fairly steadily, so if (and that's a big if) the lockdown holds we ought to be able to.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

The new case counts have been dropping fairly steadily, so if (and that's a big if) the lockdown holds we ought to be able to.

I suppose it depends what you're counting. Assuming we're at the peak of deaths right now (4 weeks since Christmas so not a bad assumption but by no means guaranteed) and the deaths fall off the same way they did in the first wave (not as safe an assumption because the lockdown isn't as strict and the weather is working against us not for us) then it'll be mid-Feb before we're consistently below 1,000 deaths a day and early April before it's below triple figures (just in time for Boris to SAVE EASTER and put us back to square one yet again).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The new cases really only slowed down on the 2nd of Jan, so I'm guessing at least another week before peak TBH.

But yeah we're probably not getting to below a hundred deaths anytime soon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Private Speech posted:

well rumours are that lockdown is going to last until easter

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

No, Lisa, I do not wish to join the Labour Party.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought we already established that March is the beginning of winter

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Dead Goon posted:

No, Lisa, I do not wish to join the Labour Party.

did a big lol at receiving an email about joe biden and kamala harris being hope conquering hate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ItohRespectArmy posted:

did a big lol at receiving an email about joe biden and kamala harris being hope conquering hate.

lol they're both awful yet somehow far better than starmer still

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Jose posted:

its very cool and it owns extremely hard.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jose posted:

They're dramatically better than Starmer so far - moratorium on deportations, cancelled Keystone XL, paused student loans and set interest rates to 0% within the first day. Biden's far from going to be the guy to tackle the enormous and radical changes needed to avert total disaster, but he is a marked improvement on anyone who's come before him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

They're dramatically better than Starmer so far - moratorium on deportations, cancelled Keystone XL, paused student loans and set interest rates to 0% within the first day. Biden's far from going to be the guy to tackle the enormous and radical changes needed to avert total disaster, but he is a marked improvement on anyone who's come before him.

like to be fair to him starmer isn't in power and the president has way more power than a prime minister but i mean on basic stuff like trans rights and general human rights. Starmer has completely given up any attempt to try and make human rights important because he's chasing a racist vote that hate him regardless. its really bleak

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Starmers tenure as a human rights lawyer is the shortest and most insignificant part of his CV, but is trotted out all the time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jose posted:

like to be fair to him starmer isn't in power and the president has way more power than a prime minister but i mean on basic stuff like trans rights and general human rights. Starmer has completely given up any attempt to try and make human rights important because he's chasing a racist vote that hate him regardless. its really bleak

I'd say it's tougher to hold good opinions while in power, since people expect you to act on them. Starmer could be all, "Human rights should be respected and more should be done to save people from dying of COVID" and not have to actually do anything about those issues, but he won't even make the empty statements because he's terrified of Rupert Murdoch.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Angepain posted:

Now don't spread this around too much because it's kind of need-to-know at the moment, but my sister's boyfriend's brother works in the military and he tells me that the Red Watch is one of the main teams involved in the ongoing food distribution project maintaining the massive lasagne in Wembley Stadium. The Red Watch is there to ensure that the sauce is created correctly, transported efficiently and treated hygienically at all stages of the process. "gone SI" is very concerning in this context - it means that the main officer in charge of overseeing sauce production has Stolen Ingredients. Why would one of our brave boys stoop so low? Is there sabotage within the ranks of the lasagne project? Will this add further delays to an already way-overdue project? People are depending on this.

Gibbo? Is that you? I heard that Cheeks and Burnsy have done a runner with the passata.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Angepain posted:

Why would one of our brave boys stoop so low?

If you need to ask, you haven't spent enough time around squaddies

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't believe Gibbo drove a tanker trailer full of tomato paste into a Nando's for bants, legend.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Junior G-man posted:

Latest podshow is out for your audio pleasure.

I won't deny going slightly off last week when I realised that the UK, US, and NATO are still in Afghanistan, so some shownotes were involved. Also we talk about that hideous Guardian piece on how the left should embrace Little England:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1352170496461254656?s=20

(if anyone has got some feedback or something on the show, we'd love to hear it!)

The pod is amazing, I'm a few eps behind but keep up the good work!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

knox_harrington posted:

It produces steady warmth rather than UK systems which are more "OK warm NOW please". If I was getting one for a home in the UK I would also try and make sure it was as well insulated and draught sealed as possible.

Just don't do a US circa 1970s now and seal up your houses too tight and give no thought to adequate ventilation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

australia has music festivals happening rn

https://twitter.com/glastonbury/status/1352234300754812930?s=20

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I have tickets to Primavera this year. Not looking hopeful.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
The more I hear about Biden banging on about bipartisanship the more I'm convinced he has dementia because surely someone who was VP during Obama's two terms can remember exactly how bipartisan the Republican Party is. Why are centrists so loving horny for compromise?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

josh04 posted:

Loving the incredible new tactical ploy this morning by the Foreign Secretary, we're going to force the individual EU nations to negotiate with us by pretending the EU doesn't really exist.

The EU, since the moment of Brexit, has screamed, shouted, whispered, written, and written with drones in the sky "you don't negotiate individually with us, you negotiate with the bloc through the Commission".

Now that the hardest part is over (i.e. keeping all the cats in line during the negotiations), why on earth do these people think that now it's time to divide and conquer?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The more I hear about Biden banging on about bipartisanship the more I'm convinced he has dementia because surely someone who was VP during Obama's two terms can remember exactly how bipartisan the Republican Party is. Why are centrists so loving horny for compromise?

I appreciate this is dangerously close to saying liberals are competent, but Biden won a close election, he has a razor thin margin in the Senate (which can be broken by one or two Democrats who are effectively Republicans), and just saw off an insurrection which has largely demonised the far right of the Republican party (at least in terms of the liberal media etc.). Biden is not in any way left wing, but it seems like he wants to do some good stuff, and immediately putting his middle finger up to the Republicans both in Congress and in the general public would arguably put him right where Obama was at the start of his term - facing off against a hostile opposition that will do everything in it's power to delay and distract from his policies.

We of course don't know how this will play out. There is a 50/50 chance that Biden gets everything he wants done, or it gets watered down by pandering to the right. What Biden has going for him that Obama didn't was a friendly face (to the Republicans) - he's known most of the big players for years - so it seems like he's trying to exploit that.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Junior G-man posted:

The EU, since the moment of Brexit, has screamed, shouted, whispered, written, and written with drones in the sky "you don't negotiate individually with us, you negotiate with the bloc through the Commission".

Now that the hardest part is over (i.e. keeping all the cats in line during the negotiations), why on earth do these people think that now it's time to divide and conquer?

Bobstar posted:

17th time's a charm!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
.nm I think my friend might have got it wrong.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Because they see the current balance of power held by the state and the capitalists as the ultimate good and their highest political priority is to preserve that. They might get angry at corrupt political dealings but would never get rid of the corrupt party as a whole because then something unknown would replace it and that threat is more serious to their world view than letting corruption continue. Hence horseshoe theory etc - it's not the qualities offered by the two radical wings which matter, it's that they're demanding change and so are the same threat.

Biden's overall objective is to keep the US government as the primary power in the USA and the world and that means making sure everyone with power gets a seat at the table rather than think a new system is required more than achieving any of the democrats supposed aims.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The subsequent waves will naturally be larger than the first if things aren't shut down properly.
Unless you get all of it you start the process again but with a much a wider dispersal of infections across the country and more footholds the virus is starting from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Lol

quote:

The North East and Yorkshire region has been told its covid-19 vaccine supply via primary care will be halved next week, largely because it is ahead of other areas in vaccinating its eligible population, HSJ has learned.

I wonder if this would have happened if London was ahead

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 21, 2021