Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Mods! Can't we make these gangtags?

Only if we can get this thread the No You Shut The gently caress Up Dad tag from E/N.

I don't actually know if Hades does a face turn once you beat the game because I've lost the final encounter twice today :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am officially "done" with Hades because I have to play something else at this point lol

Beat EM4 with an "OK Boomer" build

I fell off Transistor and never even started Pyre so I am thinking about going back to those

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

I just got the bond forged with Dusa, and I'm like 75 runs in. :/

Believe me that is nowhere near the end of it. It’s absolutely ridiculous

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Escobarbarian posted:

Believe me that is nowhere near the end of it. It’s absolutely ridiculous

I dunno. I think I'm doing rather good. Dusa was my last romance line. Finished Orpheus ages ago. I've got 4 gods with 1 heart left to max, 2 of which still need to be unlocked. I have no idea how many times I still need to run into Patroclus before he gives me the go ahead to finish his/Achilles' storyline. And I need to grind another 800 or so darkness to finish Nyx.

And right now, I'm floating around heat 5 for all weapons.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Just get as close to him as possible! I learned about it from the video of the devs reacting to a speedrun haha

I tried to do that and it just hurt really badly.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum

:sickos:

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I fell off Transistor and never even started Pyre so I am thinking about going back to those
Both games are weird, and not even close to being as good as Hades is, but are fascinating simply because they're so different. Worth playing even though Hades is leaps and bounds better than them.

Still, a lot of what makes Hades so good started out as these ideas that Supergiant played around with in Transistor and Pyre. Definitely cool to go back to them and discover the seeds of what would later become Hades.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

I dunno. I think I'm doing rather good. Dusa was my last romance line. Finished Orpheus ages ago. I've got 4 gods with 1 heart left to max, 2 of which still need to be unlocked. I have no idea how many times I still need to run into Patroclus before he gives me the go ahead to finish his/Achilles' storyline. And I need to grind another 800 or so darkness to finish Nyx.

And right now, I'm floating around heat 5 for all weapons.

Have you actually done everything with Dusa, or just maxed out the hearts? I’m FINALLY getting to the end of it I think and it’s taken a shitload of early deaths over the past few hours.

Also (re the end of said storyline) WOW Nyx is a fuckin rear end in a top hat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Escobarbarian posted:

Have you actually done everything with Dusa, or just maxed out the hearts? I’m FINALLY getting to the end of it I think and it’s taken a shitload of early deaths over the past few hours.

Also (re the end of said storyline) WOW Nyx is a fuckin rear end in a top hat

I thought it was cool that those kinds of tensions are in there and that they're never really fully resolved, another one is with Sisyphus who if you end up in a relationship with Than and/or Meg is like, "I thought we were buddies :smith: " and all Zag can do is be like "please understand" )

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
man, aspect of Lucifer sucks, but I'm not sure if it sucks more that all the other rail aspects

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Remember for all the rails that you can keep on shooting even while dashing around by simply holding onto the attack button.

I dunno if that's what's tripping people up but it definitely took me a while to realize this.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

BrianWilly posted:

Remember for all the rails that you can keep on shooting even while dashing around by simply holding onto the attack button.

I dunno if that's what's tripping people up but it definitely took me a while to realize this.

I make liberal use of this. I think it gives you an extra shot when you dash with all the other aspects but Lucifer too. it has very little defensive capability since the beam doesn't clear projectiles (wtf?), you have to stand in one place when you're not dash, and it doesn't flinch enemies. combine that with the ramp-up encouraging you not to stop firing to dodge, and having to juggle the hellfire to do decent DPS, and it's a nightmare

also poor synergy how the special encourages you to break up your attacks to lob hellfire as often as possible but the attack rewards you for continuous use

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm still looking for my second win, most of my runs seem to end at the Elysium bosses, after suffering with the small archer/spearmen/sword dudes in the encounters. I just don't seem to have enough damage to take 'em out consistently.

Had to turn on God mode at some point too, but so far it hasn't given me a breakthrough to regularly clearing the runs.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Its Chocolate posted:

I make liberal use of this. I think it gives you an extra shot when you dash with all the other aspects but Lucifer too. it has very little defensive capability since the beam doesn't clear projectiles (wtf?), you have to stand in one place when you're not dash, and it doesn't flinch enemies. combine that with the ramp-up encouraging you not to stop firing to dodge, and having to juggle the hellfire to do decent DPS, and it's a nightmare

also poor synergy how the special encourages you to break up your attacks to lob hellfire as often as possible but the attack rewards you for continuous use

Have you used Lucifer with zeus or ares with stacking on the main attack? I find everything just melts away with those setups, especially with infinite ammo and +speed hammer

I call them electrolaser and death ray in my head when I get those builds

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Lucifer isn't my favorite aspect but I've also done alright with the Ice Laser.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have remained almost totally unspoiled on the game and i've been trying to progress without looking up any kind of spoilers or speed runs or whatever but i'm starting to get a little frustrated. i tend to play the game while stoned (i have a serious arm injury so playing games is kinda painful but i'm not super mechanically impacted, just, you know, high)

i don't know the spoilers situation here so this is just end boss talk
i got my first hades kill on run 36 with the chaos shield, and i think i am in the mid 40s now and consistently getting there, although sometimes i have trouble with the satyrs on a lot of more melee or close range oriented builds, but that zone is just irritating. my problem is i keep getting to hades and then i find that the style i've been using to get there is apparently now totally useless. i've been trying to branch out and playing more special and cast oriented builds, and i tend to favor dionysus because i like festive fog the most of the casts. this past run i was using the exagryph with the bonus if you're in your special when it detonates, and the hammer form that lets you quickly shoot three specials, with dionysus special boost. problem is i get to hades and i don't know if i'm not accustomed to his tells in the fight or what but i just absolutely couldn't keep him inside my Q. i got about halfway down the second form but once the lasers start flying even with athena dash i just felt like i couldn't take the time to try and hit him and also dodge stuff.

so i guess does anyone have any feedback for me?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

i have remained almost totally unspoiled on the game and i've been trying to progress without looking up any kind of spoilers or speed runs or whatever but i'm starting to get a little frustrated. i tend to play the game while stoned (i have a serious arm injury so playing games is kinda painful but i'm not super mechanically impacted, just, you know, high)

i got my first hades kill on run 36 with the chaos shield, and i think i am in the mid 40s now and consistently getting there, although sometimes i have trouble with the satyrs on a lot of more melee or close range oriented builds, but that zone is just irritating. my problem is i keep getting to hades and then i find that the style i've been using to get there is apparently now totally useless. i've been trying to branch out and playing more special and cast oriented builds, and i tend to favor dionysus because i like festive fog the most of the casts. this past run i was using the exagryph with the bonus if you're in your special when it detonates, and the hammer form that lets you quickly shoot three specials, with dionysus special boost. problem is i get to hades and i don't know if i'm not accustomed to his tells in the fight or what but i just absolutely couldn't keep him inside my Q. i got about halfway down the second form but once the lasers start flying even with athena dash i just felt like i couldn't take the time to try and hit him and also dodge stuff.

Personally I’ve found that any non-Zeus build that can carry you to the final boss can handle Hades almost as well. The main issue is that he hits like a loving truck so you’re punished super hard for not getting the tells, and that he’s easy to whale on once you can feel out when he’s gonna do his big moves and punish afterwards, but reacting just by instinct is a bitch. Gunning for the +1 dash boon of Hermès is a huge game changer in that regard. Probably the most helpful of all is either the keepsakes of Euredyce (nosells up to the first five times you get hit) or Patroclus (brief invincibility after getting hit, it has a cool down but it’s still good).

For part 2 he has a noticeable windup for the laser, so run behind one of the rocks as soon as that happens or in his face for the blind spot right next to him. And with the saytrs cover is pretty helpful too, and staying calm if you do get poisoned and hitting up a fountain ASAP.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Last Celebration posted:

Personally I’ve found that any non-Zeus build that can carry you to the final boss can handle Hades almost as well.

What's wrong with Zeus? Poseidon is worse surely if it's knockback based splash damage.

rabidsquid posted:

this past run i was using the exagryph with the bonus if you're in your special when it detonates, and the hammer form that lets you quickly shoot three specials, with dionysus special boost

Dio on special with the rail isn't super good, as it benefits from getting lots of hits in. Better on primary with the rail.

The main tip for games like these is to find the right balance of surviving vs doing damage. Just stand behind rocks for the lasers right now and get a few hits in when he's spinning down. (In phase 2 pt 1 you can dodge behind him and shoot him from there because his turning speed is super low)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Last Celebration posted:

Personally I’ve found that any non-Zeus build that can carry you to the final boss can handle Hades almost as well. The main issue is that he hits like a loving truck so you’re punished super hard for not getting the tells, and that he’s easy to whale on once you can feel out when he’s gonna do his big moves and punish afterwards, but reacting just by instinct is a bitch. Gunning for the +1 dash boon of Hermès is a huge game changer in that regard. Probably the most helpful of all is either the keepsakes of Euredyce (nosells up to the first five times you get hit) or Patroclus (brief invincibility after getting hit, it has a cool down but it’s still good).

For part 2 he has a noticeable windup for the laser, so run behind one of the rocks as soon as that happens or in his face for the blind spot right next to him. And with the saytrs cover is pretty helpful too, and staying calm if you do get poisoned and hitting up a fountain ASAP.

i just squeaked one out by a hair with the fists. i'm sure the dodge chance from the plume helped a lot but the advice on the laser was pretty good. i also had ares call i just saved up for laser time so, i'm not sure i really "dealt" with it :v:

for some reason i can't find the screenshot using the steam screenshot feature, that's annoying.

edit: okay i figured it out https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1762564594193832502/4ABEA08FA9C06696D5897F9F932B84EE8385A42C/

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 21, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the main trick with Hades is that he's a lot harder in phase 1 since in phase 2 he has nothing that can really easily hit you behind the rocks other than his spin (which you can dodge much more easily when you're not trying to dodge all his adds or something). The lasers are pretty much your cue to take a moment for a breather.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

rabidsquid posted:

Some random items in no particular order:
1. The trick to dealing with satyrs is to not waste your dodges. Make sure you always have one ready when you hear them hock up a loogie. Other than poisoning you (which melts you faster than appears at first) they're nothing but sacks of HP.
2. Styx is really a training ground to teach you how not to mindlessly scramble in big melees with the massively damaging traps and close quarters.
3. The Hades fight throws a lot of people off because you straight up move like 50% slower in the snow, and it purposefully jacks up your combat timing. Hermes hyper dash, +X dash, and Spear Aspect of Achilles' special attack helps with mobility.
4. Like I said above, the hardest part of the Hades fight is the two times he summons minions. Don't be afraid to just get away from Hades and whittle them down first before reengaging.
5. Dionysus' trippy shots/festive fogs are great casts but IMO, his attack and special boons generally suck. Other than that, if you can get an early Strong Drink in Tartarus, you get some decent damages boosts over the course of the run.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dionysus's Attack boons are fine on things like the fists, but I've rarely found him useful on Special because they're usually too slow to be impactful.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What's wrong with Zeus? Poseidon is worse surely if it's knockback based splash damage.

Nothing’s wrong with it, exactly, it’s more that you can just make mobs melt when you go all in on him but it’s weaker on a single guy so I didn’t wanna say a Zeus build could carry the same way going scorched earth with triple Demeter bombs that slow the enemy down so you can Bomb them better can. But honestly I forgot about Poseidon, not gonna lie. :v:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i almost got a two in a row streak but only came in to the hades fight with two deaths defiance because of not making sure i knew where the cure station was in stygia, aspect of zagreus sword with dionysus attack seemed fine. i was about 1/3rd health left, probably would have won with some lucky crits. i already feel like i can handle the hades fight better, thanks for the advice folks

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Dionysus call is great for dps even with only 1 bar. Spam that poo poo on Hades for a constant DOT on him.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I found dionysus to be the best when getting good at fighting hades on the rail fists and chiron bow. Attacking him during the safe moments and having him take damage while I scramble away left me with respectable dps and the safety to learn his tells better.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i think it's easy to underestimate just how well hangover damage scales with poms, it can really carry you through a lot of bad runs if you pump it up or get a duo (looking at a spreadsheet, it'll increase your damage by > 5% each time for the first like, dozen poms, and almost everything else falls well below that after 3-4)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i've won two out of my last three and almost won three in a row, thanks for the minor tips without any kind of major spoiling. back on progress track!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

wedgie deliverer posted:

Dionysus call is great for dps even with only 1 bar. Spam that poo poo on Hades for a constant DOT on him.

Dio, zeus, and demeter feel the best when you spam them as soon as they are ready instead of waiting for a full bar. Dio especially.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

After careful study it is my objective conclusion that absolutely nothing can make Nemesis sword work :buddy:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

BrianWilly posted:

After careful study it is my objective conclusion that absolutely nothing can make Nemesis sword work :buddy:

??? You just open with special and weave it in every so often during moments it'd otherwise be safe to attack. Lends itself to Artemis immediately, take any boon that synergizes with casting special a lot. Aphrodite for 30% damage reduction(possibility of 40%+ and 10%+ extra damage to enemy), Demeter for chills, others for damage. Would work really well with Ares, that's the time window for Doom to trigger. And there are quite a few special options from hammers.

The real issue is if you aren't using special a lot on sword or used to doing so then forcing yourself to will get you hit a lot more often.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 21, 2021

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Athena and Artemis keepsakes for Tartarus and Asphodel to get Artemis attack and/or dash strike and Athena boons for inflicting exposed is consistent enough to get a lot of backstab crits . If you get Flourish for the special to also grab deadly reversal, even better.

Aphrodite also works for heart rend. If you happen to grab double edge, things are made much, much easier.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I've gotten 23 clears now using whichever random bonus weapon, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the shield effectively. Any suggestions?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nestharken posted:

I've gotten 23 clears now using whichever random bonus weapon, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the shield effectively. Any suggestions?

for zag or chaos aspects, bull rush through enemies then backstab them, use special to apply doom/weak/etc on groups, stay at a good range and don't be afraid to just block damage.

lends itself really well to dots, since your burst damage is usually not good but your range is excellent and you can stay very safe

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Unga Bunga: Zagreus shield with full +15 to hits/dash hits. Dash to your enemy. Hit him. Dash to his other side and hit him again. Repeat infinitely, ideally with mirror trait for innate 2 dashes. Get an on dash damage proc. Get an on hit damage proc. Get two that last a few seconds and enable +40% damage for two debuffs mirror trait. Aphrodite/Athena/Demeter are great picks for survivability, Athena can get Exposed to contribute to debuffs. I play on mouse/keyboard so I just have my cursor dancing back and forth along my target with each dash, dunno if controller might complicate this.

Mom Come Pick Me Up It's High Heat And I'm Scared: Ares keepsake, no timer for Heat, get Doom on Special. Super kiting option.

The shield has great defensive options(see above post!) but it can actually strike as fast as the fists so I almost never use them. Have done Heat 16 going full caveman and tanking damage with my face.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The shield actually works fine as a fist-like weapon given the right hammers/specials, yeah. The hammer that trades knockback for a second hit is really good, and Hermes boons are really nice for making it swing faster. I usually just forego the special outside of Zeus.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Doomykins posted:

Unga Bunga: Zagreus shield with full +15 to hits/dash hits. Dash to your enemy. Hit him. Dash to his other side and hit him again. Repeat infinitely, ideally with mirror trait for innate 2 dashes. Get an on dash damage proc. Get an on hit damage proc. Get two that last a few seconds and enable +40% damage for two debuffs mirror trait. Aphrodite/Athena/Demeter are great picks for survivability, Athena can get Exposed to contribute to debuffs. I play on mouse/keyboard so I just have my cursor dancing back and forth along my target with each dash, dunno if controller might complicate this.

This but one thing im learning is to hold down the mouse button for just a second after the strike to do a quick bull rush.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Doomykins posted:

??? You just open with special and weave it in every so often during moments it'd otherwise be safe to attack. Lends itself to Artemis immediately, take any boon that synergizes with casting special a lot. Aphrodite for 30% damage reduction(possibility of 40%+ and 10%+ extra damage to enemy), Demeter for chills, others for damage. Would work really well with Ares, that's the time window for Doom to trigger. And there are quite a few special options from hammers.

The real issue is if you aren't using special a lot on sword or used to doing so then forcing yourself to will get you hit a lot more often.

JamMasterJim posted:

Athena and Artemis keepsakes for Tartarus and Asphodel to get Artemis attack and/or dash strike and Athena boons for inflicting exposed is consistent enough to get a lot of backstab crits . If you get Flourish for the special to also grab deadly reversal, even better.

Aphrodite also works for heart rend. If you happen to grab double edge, things are made much, much easier.
Yeah I tried the Artemis thing, with her on both Attack and Special and Aphrodite on dash. The Theseus fight took nearly four minutes to complete because DPS was so bad I could chop away at them for ages -- with Flurry Slash, and even Clean Kill to enhance the crits -- with barely any effect. The Hades fight was even more embarrassing...tried to whittle down his summons at first, and then decided to just try to take out Dad first because that was taking too long, except it also took forever to do anything to him, I had over three hundred health and all three DDs at the beginning of the fight and by the time he summoned Dog I was down to the last bar. Not actually because he was hitting me all that much, but because the fight was going so long I was gonna eat those hits at some point through pure causality.

(I play consistently at 20 Heat; not humblebragging, I definitely, absolutely suck a lot of the time, but maybe the stuff that works at lower tiers don't quite cut it after a certain point. I dunno.)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah you sound like me. Nemesis sword is just a wiffle bat in my hands even with the godliest of boon setups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got the epilogue last night and also finished the Dusa storyline I was in the middle of and then afterwards googled and discovered it has nothing to do with the final bond cutscene with her, which I still don’t have somehow? Looks like it’s just meant to happen some time after you max out the hearts, like with Meg or Than, but.....it never did for me. Weird.

Anyway, fantastic game! I’ll definitely be coming back to it for a few runs/to see what else everyone has to say in between playing other stuff. There’s still some aspects I never tried, and I’m sure tons more dialogue still (it’s just insane how much there is!). A very worthy GOTY, good job goons