Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Xinder posted:

I think you mean, penises evolved to be shaped like her head due to the genesong.

A plan thousand lifetimes in the making...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Halo 2 is a highly choreographed and scripted alien political thriller with a talking Flood monstermind and Chief kind of along for the ride (he doesn't really do anything except kill Regret).

Thinking about this, I think this is a big reason why the Halo 2 campaign left me so cold back in the day. Chief gets taken away from earth, walks down some corridors (often with only 2 marines at a time-the scale felt wound back form CE), kills an elderly, cowardly prophet (not exactly a badass move) and then just... makes his way back to Earth? I never really realised that before. It really compounds the marketing hype of saving earth (you don't do that) and the ending (finishing this fight !!!!!?????)

The real protagonist and king slayer is the Arbiter, and all but like 2 of his levels suuucked. By the time 3 came around I had warmed to him- as the Gravemind says he's "flesh and faith"- the idea that Chief is a supernaturally lucky, cybernetic augmented genetic paragon in a super suit who is equaled in ability by this big guy in ancient lovely armour is insane. Plus he makes buddy's with Johnson. I really wanted to see where he'd go... And then in 3 he's just a stupid AI lackey who does nothing and only gets a couple of good lines.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Animal Friend posted:

And then in 3 he's just a stupid AI lackey who does nothing and only gets a couple of good lines.

ctrl+v "Were it so easy"

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So what I’m getting from this conversation is John is autistic?

Along with everyone in this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Part of the problem with Halo 4's story is kind of like the game itself- if this was part 1 of 3 it would be much better recieved. I think part of the hollowness is that we now know that it doesn't go anywhere, and is apparently the peak of 343's main Halo games. Like if Halo 5 picked up that story and did carried it further and deeper, 4 would be regarded as a shaky but interesting first step.

Halo 4 has this unease about it that could be very interesting. You're in a position where you're alone with your best friend and while its interesting to be exploring and bantering, shes slowly getting worse and worse you can't do anything to help. This really is the core of the story and the Didact seems like a secondary concern. When you get a chance to meet up with other people again, you're out of sync with everyone and no one wants to help you help your friend, instead sending you off on tasks which feel like trying to get you away from your goal of finding help, all as things get worse. Its immensely alienating and very successful if intended. (That and the awkward romantic stuff which feels really uncomfortable)

If it was taken and run with, I think it'd get a lot more credit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think 4 works better as a coda to the trilogy than the beginning of a new one, really. Chief makes it home, Cortana dies, the Didact's beaten, everyone lives sadly ever after.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Please fix this co-op bug so can finish Halo 1 343

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Animal Friend posted:

Thinking about this, I think this is a big reason why the Halo 2 campaign left me so cold back in the day. Chief gets taken away from earth, walks down some corridors (often with only 2 marines at a time-the scale felt wound back form CE), kills an elderly, cowardly prophet (not exactly a badass move) and then just... makes his way back to Earth? I never really realised that before. It really compounds the marketing hype of saving earth (you don't do that) and the ending (finishing this fight !!!!!?????)

The real protagonist and king slayer is the Arbiter, and all but like 2 of his levels suuucked. By the time 3 came around I had warmed to him- as the Gravemind says he's "flesh and faith"- the idea that Chief is a supernaturally lucky, cybernetic augmented genetic paragon in a super suit who is equaled in ability by this big guy in ancient lovely armour is insane. Plus he makes buddy's with Johnson. I really wanted to see where he'd go... And then in 3 he's just a stupid AI lackey who does nothing and only gets a couple of good lines.

Yeah as a kid I really didn't like spending half the game on Arby. It felt like MGS2. If you're going to have your game half star someone else, maybe put that person in the marketing? Pulling an intentional bait-and-switch on the protagonist is just going to turn people off.

But looking back H2 does have one of the stronger stories of the series, you just have to be ready for more Arby action than Chief.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't have a problem playing as Arbiter, I had a problem playing with Arbiter on the endless elevator levels

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Arbiter segments get a lot more fun when you realize you can abuse the poo poo out of your recharging active camouflage.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

brain dammej posted:

I just started playing the Halo: CE campaign co-op last night.

Is it just me or does the FOV slider do absolutely nothing for that game? Is it like that for other people/games?

Sorry if that's already been covered-- I didn't see it mentioned in the past several pages.

It wasn't just me!

The MCC December patch notes posted:

Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Field of View (FoV) will now match the settings the player chose in the settings menu during co-op campaign gameplay.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

BOO

they changed all the Jurassic Park refs, now they all suck

BOOOOOOO

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hm, there are a bunch of Halo 4 looking armours in the Halo 3 customisation menu. I'm guessing they're from Halo Online or something. Guessing they're for the next season.

Pretty ugly looking.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Anita Dickinme posted:

So what I’m getting from this conversation is John is autistic?

Along with everyone in this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This was really insensitive.

The chief is actually an incel who's so emotionally stunted he can't process his crippling Oedipus complex leading to him being the ultimate rifleman.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Okan170 posted:

If it was taken and run with, I think it'd get a lot more credit.

And Halo 5 immediately drops the ball by giving MC his old Spartan buddies back so he's not alone and is part of a team consisting of his childhood friends and comrades.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So next season theyre adding extra armour customization to Halo 3 by porting over Halo 4 armour pieces. It looks weird squishing the two art styles together but from what I've seen so far a few of the Halo 4 designs actually look better with the all black undersuit rather than the terrible colored undersuit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PriorMarcus posted:

And Halo 5 immediately drops the ball by giving MC his old Spartan buddies back so he's not alone and is part of a team consisting of his childhood friends and comrades.

"Spartans never die!" I cry as Reach melts into a corncob

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

So next season theyre adding extra armour customization to Halo 3 by porting over Halo 4 armour pieces. It looks weird squishing the two art styles together but from what I've seen so far a few of the Halo 4 designs actually look better with the all black undersuit rather than the terrible colored undersuit.
They're actually from Halo Online, the cancelled Russian F2P Halo 3 port that kinda restarted the lust for Halo on PC that the MCC port was summoned forth to sate. That game also had a few additional maps, including a remake of Halo 2's Turf map with a unique snow-city theme, so here's hoping they also manage to get ported over to MCC for completeness sake...

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 19, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s absurd that I can see a screenshot of a warthog in a very small part of a that map and instantly remember the entire map, including weapon spawns.

Can’t remember my GPA, barely remember the year I graduated college, but I can tell you where the sword spawns are in every H3 map.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
here's a question I've been sitting on for a long time, but is the ship in the level "Keyes" Truth and Reconcilliation, or a different unnamed one?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

here's a question I've been sitting on for a long time, but is the ship in the level "Keyes" Truth and Reconcilliation, or a different unnamed one?
It's the Truth and Reconciliation.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

T&R took a MAC round (the big cannons you see fire from the human ships in Reach) from the Pillar of Autumn and set down in atmosphere for repairs (hence the lifts on the surface). Of course, these were delayed by a certain cyborg boarding it and killing a whole bunch of its crew.

It was still being repaired when the Flood got out. Seeing it as a way off the ring, they boarded and transferred their main "brain" thingy to it to escape.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

alright, it's just never referred to by name in 'Keyes' (just as 'this cruiser') and there's some layout differences from the T&R level (although some of that might just be different doors being open/locked) and it seems to be in a slightly different location but it could've just moved, yeah. also one of Cortana's lines about where the hangar is makes it sound like she's pulling from databases or something instead being like, 'hey remember how we were here before?'

also there's a weird extra hangar that doesn't really make sense- at the start you're on the same level as the control room (you can see the proto-gravemind through a window), walk through a hallway and end up on the bottom floor of a hangar with the big hole. but the hole is at the bottom of the ship since it opens to the ground. then you enter in again and properly go up the three level hangar to the control room- but it's a different hangar since there's no hole. I mean not a big concern at all and I'm sure a ship like that would have multiple hangars but I don't think the geometry makes sense.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This is rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd-enFcN5Xo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for resetting all my cosmetics, load outs and settings 343, appreciate it

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

This is rad

Really hope the focus on modding tools lets people add stuff to campaign maps and potential make new levels or custom campaigns. So much potential with the Halo sandbox.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been replaying Gears 4 and 5 and its kind of eerie how the series mirrors Halo with the post-trilogy installments just not quite getting what made the originals work. Theyre on the cusp of being interesting but then they fall back on rehashing the originals and coming up with weak justifications to maintain a gameplay and setting status quo rather than truly exploring what can be done with the world building. There's always a Covenant or a Locust Horde to fight and we can never move on.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Anyone else having problem with re-keybinding?

On Halo 4 if I change anything.It comes up with "One or more actions are not bound by a key", even when they're not, and it won't let me do anything but restore to default settings.

Including, as an experiment, rebinding a key back to the default with no other changes comes up with the same error.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Feels good. And with that, I've got all the Reach cheevos

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVCN9rQuEY0

This hit me with a nostalgia blast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been replaying Gears 4 and 5 and its kind of eerie how the series mirrors Halo with the post-trilogy installments just not quite getting what made the originals work. Theyre on the cusp of being interesting but then they fall back on rehashing the originals and coming up with weak justifications to maintain a gameplay and setting status quo rather than truly exploring what can be done with the world building. There's always a Covenant or a Locust Horde to fight and we can never move on.

Gears and Halo's plots are almost identical now too, it's ridiculous

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:allears: wow

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

Gears and Halo's plots are almost identical now too, it's ridiculous

I do think that Gears 4 and 5 hit the mark a bit better than Halo 4 and 5, but I really don't care for Kaot, Del or JD. The new characters aren't really doing it for me and I'm frustrated that ethical questions like using the Hammer of Dawn are brought up and then dropped because the need to destroy the gooey Locust supersedes using war crime guns. And the less said about the Locust being a manufactured species that has only existed for maybe 50 years tops rather than hollow earth morlocks the better. The reveal that Myrrah was out for revenge because a baby was stolen rather than "you guys are literally poisoning us with your toxic waste dumping and now mutants are overrunning our homeland, so you can die" is ridiculous.

The gameplay for 4 and 5 at least improved in Gears while a lot of the fine tuning changes for Halo 4 and 5 were for the worse.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

lol that Halo 4 killed the franchise and another Halo thread again.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Animal Friend posted:

lol that Halo 4 killed the franchise and another Halo thread again.

Yea I just looked at my playtime and I haven’t touched the MCC since October when I gave up on 4. I had fun with the multiplayer for nostalgia purposes but...it’s also 2021 now and there are dozens, if not hundreds of other games to play.

Between Halo 4 being the last MCC release and the cluster gently caress that is Infinite development, this franchise is on life support.

Meanwhile, no one remembers Halo 5.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Nah I think it's only cause Halo 4came out last.

I picked up Halo Wars because i needed more Halo... but i figured this wasnt the place for Halo Wars chat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean when we're not talking about 343 taking the wrong lessons from Bungie games uts usually me complaining about Halo novel lore, so go ahead and talk about Halo Wars.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been playing off and on but between it and Halo 1 co-op being seemingly permanently busted (worked fine to Silent Cartographer, now it fails to load in co-op on all levels forever, tried reinstalling and everything) I've been playing other stuff for a while

Also Spartan Ops is significantly worse than I remember lol, though Halo 4's core gameplay is better. I haven't tried multi yet though so I'm sure I'll remember why I hate it when the killstreaks pop in

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MCC co-op being busted is such a shame because that's the number 1 thing I want to do with Halo.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Meanwhile, no one remembers Halo 5.

I will never forget the horrifically lovely lazy-rear end design of the Warden Eternal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

My brother and I picked up halo wars on sale, intending to play the campaign co op. But he really didn't like it (I think it was mostly the extremely slow pace of the game) so we went back to sc2 co op for when we want to play an rts.