Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's not horrible, it's just not as good and everyone blocks all the god dang time. play it on easy, ANIKI

i'm still annoyed that the yakuza gamepass announcement came like a week after i finally bought a ps4 to play 3-6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, the only super glaring problem is that everyone blocks all the time it’s just...it becomes a pretty big problem as far as dragging out fights go as soon as you can’t work around it in random encounters with throws, and that random encounters themselves are WAY harder to avoid than 0/1/2, where you could generally always not fight if you didn’t want to.

That said my only playthrough was on Hard, if you’re on Normal/Easy and look up a guide for the Komaki moves it’s probably not that bad.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Also if you play on hard the finishers do not, in fact, finish the opponents

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I get the impression they want you to dodge behind bosses' attacks if you actually want to get full combo-strings off on them, but the dodging in Yakuza has always been a crapshoot in my experience.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The thing that bugs me about Yakuza 3 combat is not that everyone blocks all the time, it's that the things that are supposed to be a counter to blocks are so bad. Like in most fighting games it's expected that a player will block if you punch or kick their character, but that you can defeat a blocking character by throwing them.

In Yakuza 3 it felt like every character you wanted to throw was just flat-out immune to throws - either you'd just slide off them, or they'd actually counter-throw you, punishing you for attempting to do it in the first place. It was baffling.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you for the help with regard to jobs

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Holy poo poo! The Korean actor from Yakuza 7 has a billboard in Yak 3! My understanding of Yakuza lore is deepening...

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

PantsBandit posted:

I get the impression they want you to dodge behind bosses' attacks if you actually want to get full combo-strings off on them, but the dodging in Yakuza has always been a crapshoot in my experience.

You do want to do this, but it won't always work. Often I would dodge and they would just rotate to continue facing and blocking me, or sometimes I'd just spin completely around them, ending up where I started dodging and still being blocked!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It doesn't help that Yakuza's R1 lock on is at best useless and at worst an active detriment

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PantsBandit posted:

Holy poo poo! The Korean actor from Yakuza 7 has a billboard in Yak 3! My understanding of Yakuza lore is deepening...

Il-Yu Jin? He was in a substory in 2, as well!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Il-Yu Jin? He was in a substory in 2, as well!

Huh, guess I forgot about that (or didn't see it at all) since I hadn't played Yakuza 7 at the time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Cool the Yakuza collection games coming to gamepass and now I may as well play them all :v:

Is Y3 a huge step in quality down from the other games fighting wise? I played Y0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2 and I have Judgement but haven't started it yet but everything I hear about Y3 is the combat is like, as bad as you imagine, but then worse

It owns, but it has a different feel than the others because everyone is very defensive in it. The combat in 1/2/3/4/5 is very very similar but each game has a slightly different feel to it because of the enemy behavior and move set behavior.

Here's the main things to keep in mind for 3:

All enemies block, A LOT. So compared to the other games you want to spend a lot of time side stepping around/behind people to break through their defenses, throw people a lot. Use the lock on to make it easier to dodge behind them, etc.

There isn't a visible gauge but bosses generally have a heat gauge like Kiryu. So when they have an aura they don't just get a chance to do those QTE boss move attacks, they're also very slightly faster, a little harder to knockdown, more aggressive combos, etc.

So when they have an aura play a little more defensively, when they don't (or if it runs out though IIRC this doesn't happen on every boss fast enough to matter) play more offensively.

I don't really bother with buying+upgrading weapons, but the weapons shop was first introduced in Y3 and they intend for you to use it.

Remember that there's weapons that ignore enemy defenses and, more importantly, weapons like the blackjack that can easily dizzy enemies. You can definitely go through the whole game without getting any of these but if you're getting frustrated definitely look into that.

Last, the same way bosses get that buff when they have an aura, the benefits Kiryu gets from when his heat gauge is full once you've leveled up a little are stronger in Y3 than in the other games imo.

Bosses are also highly resistant to heat moves. So in general, for the boss fights don't even bother doing heat moves, it's better to keep the gauge full instead.

The other thing is to just not be too aggressive against the bosses, don't even bother going for a full combo string just get two or three hits in and a hard attack.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

It owns, but it has a different feel than the others because everyone is very defensive in it. The combat in 1/2/3/4/5 is very very similar but each game has a slightly different feel to it because of the enemy behavior and move set behavior.

Here's the main things to keep in mind for 3:

All enemies block, A LOT. So compared to the other games you want to spend a lot of time side stepping around/behind people to break through their defenses, throw people a lot. Use the lock on to make it easier to dodge behind them, etc.

There isn't a visible gauge but bosses generally have a heat gauge like Kiryu. So when they have an aura they don't just get a chance to do those QTE boss move attacks, they're also very slightly faster, a little harder to knockdown, more aggressive combos, etc.

So when they have an aura play a little more defensively, when they don't (or if it runs out though IIRC this doesn't happen on every boss fast enough to matter) play more offensively.

I don't really bother with buying+upgrading weapons, but the weapons shop was first introduced in Y3 and they intend for you to use it.

Remember that there's weapons that ignore enemy defenses and, more importantly, weapons like the blackjack that can easily dizzy enemies. You can definitely go through the whole game without getting any of these but if you're getting frustrated definitely look into that.

Last, the same way bosses get that buff when they have an aura, the benefits Kiryu gets from when his heat gauge is full once you've leveled up a little are stronger in Y3 than in the other games imo.

Bosses are also highly resistant to heat moves. So in general, for the boss fights don't even bother doing heat moves, it's better to keep the gauge full instead.

The other thing is to just not be too aggressive against the bosses, don't even bother going for a full combo string just get two or three hits in and a hard attack.

Thanks for the tips, will be keeping these in my mind as I progress.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I beat the Final Millennium Tower last night, which turned out to not be all that tough. My characters levels were all in the low 70s with their main jobs ranked in the mid-30s and while the random encounters were tankier than expected, the minibosses and boss were pretty fun and not that hard.

Time to grind as high as possible and upgrade the poo poo out of my weapons for the True Final Millennium Tower :v:

Are the metal slime guys in the Kamurocho Underground still the best way to level in the postgame? Or are there even shinier metal slime vagabond dudes now?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

PantsBandit posted:

Thanks for the tips, will be keeping these in my mind as I progress.

The most important thing is to unlock Komaki Reversal and Tiger Drop asap and then the game is a breeze

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

I beat the Final Millennium Tower last night, which turned out to not be all that tough. My characters levels were all in the low 70s with their main jobs ranked in the mid-30s and while the random encounters were tankier than expected, the minibosses and boss were pretty fun and not that hard.

Time to grind as high as possible and upgrade the poo poo out of my weapons for the True Final Millennium Tower :v:

Are the metal slime guys in the Kamurocho Underground still the best way to level in the postgame? Or are there even shinier metal slime vagabond dudes now?

Yes, Tower for money Underground for levels. But you'll probably have to either grind a ton or go to ng+ and play on legend if you wanna grind enough to beat the ultimate last dungeon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yes, Tower for money Underground for levels. But you'll probably have to either grind a ton or go to ng+ and play on legend if you wanna grind enough to beat the ultimate last dungeon

Ah, okay. I was wondering about that since it seemed like the vagabonds in the underground were never going to get me to the 90+ levels and job ranks recommended for the super ultimate last dungeon.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Finished 3 last night and I definitely hated it less by the end than I did at the outset, but it's still going from what's functionally one of the newest games in the series to what is now the oldest and that is rough in a bunch of ways. If you are a sensible (i.e., not me) person and take the thread's advice to play on easy instead of hard it probably isn't as much of a slog, but even on hard it's important to remember that bicycles will always be the ultimate weapon.

Most of the just-posted advice is good, although there are several bosses where you actually want to be more aggressive when they get their aura because they stop blocking all the time and that opens them up to much longer combos than you could otherwise manage. If you feel like the combat is becoming too much of a chore to tolerate, just look up the requirements to unlock Tiger Drop. It's still completely busted, but it's hidden behind some completely opaque side stuff.

Story-wise...eh. The loving around in Okinawa stuff was better than the central story by far, with Kiryu's golfing trip as the high point. You can see the vague outline of something that could have been good hidden in the yakuza bit, but characters who needed a bunch of development to make any of that poo poo land were in 1-2 scenes grand total. By the end it mostly comes off as a disinterested rehash of about 10% of 2.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

Ah, okay. I was wondering about that since it seemed like the vagabonds in the underground were never going to get me to the 90+ levels and job ranks recommended for the super ultimate last dungeon.

I would recommend grinding the tower for cash so you can upgrade all your gear to the max before going on to legend difficulty tho

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

It's this. You're suppose to be rabbit-punching literally everyone. I think the reason they made grab one of the cancel-counters in 0 was finally realising "Oh, maybe grabs could be the anti-block, instead of just kicking them in the butt".

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I've definitely hit Yakuza withdrawal after playing 0, k1, k2, the remasters of 3-5, 6, Judgement, Lost Paradise and now 7 over the course of the past year. I am fiending for a Y8 pretty hard, or a Lost Paradise 2, or Judgement:Now with Karaoke edition.

Honestly, I attribute a great deal of my ability to deal with the total loss of visiting friends and going out and to restaurants over the covid times to yakuza and being able to tour the various cities and just vibe in them, when I'm not punching diaper patriarchs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Madmarker posted:

I've definitely hit Yakuza withdrawal after playing 0, k1, k2, the remasters of 3-5, 6, Judgement, Lost Paradise and now 7 over the course of the past year. I am fiending for a Y8 pretty hard, or a Lost Paradise 2, or Judgement:Now with Karaoke edition.

Sounds like all you're missing is Dead Souls. :D

I'm still hoping Kenzan and Ishin get English releases some day.

It'll never happen but the two Panther games would be great to have in English too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Honestly, I attribute a great deal of my ability to deal with the total loss of visiting friends and going out and to restaurants over the covid times to yakuza and being able to tour the various cities and just vibe in them, when I'm not punching diaper patriarchs.

Time to start over from 0 imo

I jumped straight into that after 7 with the ambitious plan of getting through it and k1/k2 before 3-5 come out for PC next week, but naturally i spent all last night grinding the cabaret club minigame instead. It's just really fun

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Madmarker posted:

It definitely helped me feel less cooped up. I want to visit Japan some day so it's also been the perfect way to forget that international travelling is going to be extremely different in the post-covid world.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Did you 100% them all, though? If not you have some playing to do.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m about to clear the finale on my ng+ legend run, I have everyone at character level 90 and a couple of people with their default jobs at 99 so now I’m doing substories for the second job exp boost gears I couldn’t just buy and I just realised that the Dragonfish Tenugui gear works for all of Ichiban’s jobs not just freelancer and hero, so that makes life a little easier. Pretty glad I dumped my original run and started over by grabbing the second one right at the start before you go to Yokohama.

Setting the difficulty back to normal (because on legend their hp pool is way too big to ever actually kill them) and vagabond grinding with 2x job exp boost still seems to give at least one job level per vagabond all the way up to 99, and if you’re switching jobs around when you hit 99 to go for the stat boosts then you’ll naturally get your character levels up to 99 anyway as you go. I think I’ll be able to knock out the True Final Millenium Tower this weekend, hopefully.

The only job exp gear you can’t get a double for even with ng+ is the one for matriarch, because it’s a Part Time Hero reward and those don’t reset.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2021

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Madmarker posted:

It is now time to play Dead Souls.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I hope Judgement 2 is Yagami and Akiyama driving across Japan solving mysteries in a van.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Crowetron posted:

I hope Judgement 2 is Yagami and Akiyama driving across Japan within the speed limit, remembering to use their turn signals, stopping at lights and trying not to accelerate or brake too sharply solving mysteries in a van.

Who didnt love sensible taxi?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
People with bad taste, I heard there were people that don’t like every version of Baka Mittai either.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Last Celebration posted:

People with bad taste, I heard there were people that don’t like every version of Baka Mittai either.

After the revolution they will share cells with the english dub users.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Driving Instructor Majima joins the majima everywhere system

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Driving Instructor Majima joins the majima everywhere system

When I tap the dashboard, I want you to perform an emergency tiger drop on me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Finally sat down and worked my way through the last two chapters and beat the game.

Hot drat, now I understand why there were so many spoiler tags about it as I was going through the thread! It's a really lose end shame that Ichiban never mentioned that Masato wasn't actually his dad at any point. I'm glad that the final boss was a cakewalk after the previous one was such a slow slog to wear down. Shame that Ichiban never played DQ11, that game certainly didn't feel slow fighting bosses even before the fast forward in the Definitive Edition.

Felt like a 15 minute long boss fight...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Hot drat, now I understand why there were so many spoiler tags about it as I was going through the thread! It's a really lose end shame that Ichiban never mentioned that Masato wasn't actually his dad at any point.

I think Ichi just didn't want to break it to him. Much like how Adachi didn't use that info to rub salt in Jonouchi's wounds because he thought it didn't feel right to disrespect the dead while his friend was still in mourning over that death.

They could've chosen to. They just chose not to, for their own reasons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope Ichiban gets to catch up on the Dragon Quest games he missed before the next game. Maybe he'll even become an MMO Gamer and get into Dragon Quest X.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I hope Yakuza 9 is a Dragon Quest Builders game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

We're also a step further down the path to a Yakuza Musou game

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They should have tried to license an old DQ game for Ichi's smartphone.

"I can do WHAT on this thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Crowetron posted:

I hope Judgement 2 is Yagami and Akiyama driving across Japan solving mysteries in a van.

i love anything that lets you play as akiyama more his combat style was one of the most fun ones in the series.