Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Just love living in a country that openly equates trans people to sex offenders, where the discourse is literally trapped in the 80s and still pondering openly and out loud about whether trans people are going to assault women and children or "trans" them

Nevermind that the NHS is a loving joke when it comes to trans health care and that going private or self medding are the only options available to people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Aggressive TERFdom among the media class does seem to be a singularly British pathology.

They've been melting down on Twitter about that executive order Biden has signed without a moment of hesitation, how it will inevitably cost the Democrats the House etc. They don't seem to get that Americans just aren't psychotically opposed to the idea of trans rights in the way they are.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

EvilHawk posted:

I appreciate this is dangerously close to saying liberals are competent, but Biden won a close election, he has a razor thin margin in the Senate (which can be broken by one or two Democrats who are effectively Republicans), and just saw off an insurrection which has largely demonised the far right of the Republican party (at least in terms of the liberal media etc.). Biden is not in any way left wing, but it seems like he wants to do some good stuff, and immediately putting his middle finger up to the Republicans both in Congress and in the general public would arguably put him right where Obama was at the start of his term - facing off against a hostile opposition that will do everything in it's power to delay and distract from his policies.

We of course don't know how this will play out. There is a 50/50 chance that Biden gets everything he wants done, or it gets watered down by pandering to the right. What Biden has going for him that Obama didn't was a friendly face (to the Republicans) - he's known most of the big players for years - so it seems like he's trying to exploit that.

The wall is this way, comrade.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Continuity NIP posted:

Lol

I wonder if this would have happened if London was ahead
London actually has wayyyy too little vaccines atm relative to its population. I heard yesterday (I don't have a source, basically rumours) that they're doing something like distributing the vaccines equally to surgeries without taking into account their actual size, so it's disproportionately going to places with lower population density, as there tend to be smaller surgeries with fewer patients.

I will laugh so hard if it turns out that it's something to do with the same algorithm they used to keep London out of higher tiers.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

EvilHawk posted:

Biden is not in any way left wing, but it seems like he wants to do some good stuff, and immediately putting his middle finger up to the Republicans both in Congress and in the general public would arguably put him right where Obama was at the start of his term - facing off against a hostile opposition that will do everything in it's power to delay and distract from his policies.

This line is dumb because the Republicans will be a hostile opposition that will do everything in their power to delay and obstruct positive change regardless of the actions of Joe Biden.

Delaying and obstructing your own agenda on the off-chance that this time the Republican's won't do it for you is pointlessly self-defeating, and gives the appearance like you didn't have any positive change in mind to start with and are just looking for excuses.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1352242143700676609?s=21

Truly unexplainable

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/mcash/status/1351976370264539136?s=20

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Borrovan posted:

London actually has wayyyy too little vaccines atm relative to its population. I heard yesterday (I don't have a source, basically rumours) that they're doing something like distributing the vaccines equally to surgeries without taking into account their actual size, so it's disproportionately going to places with lower population density, as there tend to be smaller surgeries with fewer patients.

I will laugh so hard if it turns out that it's something to do with the same algorithm they used to keep London out of higher tiers.

The number of people registered with GP’s is apparent 110% of the census population estimates. 85% of residents actually being correctly registered would be crazy high. All records are kept locally, and I don’t think there is any real attempt to clear up duplicate registrations.

So yeah, there will be a lot of people in London who’s vaccine dose is being allocated to their childhood home in Burnley.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

Truly unexplainable
No 'part-Irish' rhetoric?

I'm surprised that the UK press didn't go all in on the relief of a notorious English antisemite in the Chamber of the House of Representatives.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Gort posted:

This line is dumb because the Republicans will be a hostile opposition that will do everything in their power to delay and obstruct positive change regardless of the actions of Joe Biden.

Delaying and obstructing your own agenda on the off-chance that this time the Republican's won't do it for you is pointlessly self-defeating, and gives the appearance like you didn't have any positive change in mind to start with and are just looking for excuses.

I'm trying to be careful how I phrase these comments because I don't want it to sound like I'm defending everything that Biden is doing.

Republicans probably will be obstructionist, petty, assholes. That is in their very nature. However, I can certainly see a scenario where Biden plays on his long-standing friendships with people like McConnell - who is now nominally out of power - to limit this. Will it mean that the bills get watered down? Sure, that's what liberalism does. But it might mean a bit of good stuff sneaks through as well.

The alternative is to tell them to gently caress off and do what you want to do. Unfortunately, the Democratic party is full of decorum loving liberals who refuse to do things like get rid of the filibuster. That means you get four years of nothing much while people like Manchin vote against progressive reforms.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The more I hear about Biden banging on about bipartisanship the more I'm convinced he has dementia because surely someone who was VP during Obama's two terms can remember exactly how bipartisan the Republican Party is. Why are centrists so loving horny for compromise?
Because they think if they do the sensible, reasonable thing and reach across the aisle, then the other side will do the same. If they don't, then the right can consider themselves Owned and the libs can write tweets and articles about how nasty the other side is, which will surely sway the electorate, and then they win.

Which obviously has worked exceedingly well since the maniacs on the right started doing whatever the gently caress they wanted, safe in the knowledge that the worst they'll get from the opposition is 750 words of tutting.

Also, as namesake pointed out they also want to show big business that they can be 'reasonable' so they can also get in on that sweet lobbyist action.

E: This goes for keith as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just listened to the pod, it seems rather cruel to have the AI believe in an immortal soul before making it suicidal.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

I'd never 'lost' a vote until brexit. Every time before that at the very least the MP/TD I'd voted for had always won.

But no I've never won an election

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

interestingly, a 66-yo would have been 19 in 1974, the year Callaghan made his "I think that if I were a young man I would emigrate" remark.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

peanut- posted:

Aggressive TERFdom among the media class does seem to be a singularly British pathology.

They've been melting down on Twitter about that executive order Biden has signed without a moment of hesitation, how it will inevitably cost the Democrats the House etc. They don't seem to get that Americans just aren't psychotically opposed to the idea of trans rights in the way they are.

I don't know if it's a good thing psychologically but I'm actually in the place where I see a trending topic like that now and my first thought is "oh that's nice, he must have come out in support of trans people".

Like, I'm pretty sure the aim of the hashtag is to upset us while we're minding our own on twitter dot com but those nerves got cauterised some time ago and it has the exact opposite effect.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/21/uk-insists-it-will-not-grant-eu-ambassador-full-diplomatic-status

quote:

The Foreign Office says it would set a precedent by treating an international body in the same way as a nation state. Other international organisations would then apply, it says, leading to a proliferation of other such bodies seeking diplomatic status.

Yes we mustn't set a precedent.

quote:

Foreign Office says EU should not be treated as nation state, despite 142 countries granting bloc this status

Because if we become the 143rd country to do this then it will open the floodgates!

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Well this was probably inevitable

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1352256657812828162?s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Which Tory donor supplied the laptops.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Well that's about the most open and shut case of conspiracy i've ever seen. Just so inept that the very execution will be used as a defense of why it's totally just a thing that happened. Nothing to see here.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well that's about the most open and shut case of conspiracy i've ever seen. Just so inept that the very execution will be used as a defense of why it's totally just a thing that happened. Nothing to see here.

Probably just refurbed civil service laptops so unsurprising that they are riddled with spyware.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That's so bizarre.

The Telegraph says the infected laptops all came from XMA, who are a big supplier. How the gently caress are they selling computers with a pre-installed Russian worm?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ronya posted:

interestingly, a 66-yo would have been 19 in 1974, the year Callaghan made his "I think that if I were a young man I would emigrate" remark.

Between this, and Philip Larkin's This Be The Verse being widely printed in the same year...can't say those teens weren't warned

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

peanut- posted:

That's so bizarre.

The Telegraph says the infected laptops all came from XMA, who are a big supplier. How the gently caress are they selling computers with a pre-installed Russian worm?

Easiest way to do it would be to build it into the file used to image the laptops, and if they have normal government supply contracts too, it seems a fairly obvious attack vector.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

peanut- posted:

That's so bizarre.

It’s not as though the size of an organisation correlated with how competent they are. The laptop hard drives will have all been setup from the same image from a machine that was infected before the image was taken.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

peanut- posted:

That's so bizarre.

What a weird and colossal fuckup.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

It’s not as though the size of an organisation correlated with how competent they are.

It does, but usually inversely

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

peanut- posted:

That's so bizarre.

It honestly takes less for a major supplier to have this problem than a small one doing bespoke builds to demand. If XMA's image file was compromised, every computer they've sold will be affected.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

Easiest way to do it would be to build it into the file used to image the laptops, and if they have normal government supply contracts too, it seems a fairly obvious attack vector.

It would be funny if primary school IT staff are the ones who have uncovered some long-term attack that XMA have been distributing across half the UK government.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

It would be funny if primary school IT staff are the ones who have uncovered some long-term attack that XMA have been distributing across half the UK government.

That was my initial thought too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-diplomats-idUSKBN29Q0U3

quote:

The BBC reported that the Foreign Office was refusing to grant the same diplomatic status and privileges to EU ambassador Joao Vale de Almeida and his team as it gives to envoys of countries, on the basis that the EU is not a nation state.

The Foreign Office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The European Commission, the 27-member bloc’s executive body, said the EU’s 143 delegations around the world had all been granted a status equivalent to that of diplomatic missions of states, and Britain was well aware of the fact.

Just watched some Brexiteer gloat this was a great strike against the evil EU.

But can't the EU turn around and say the same thing as the UK is not a nation state itself?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Continuity NIP posted:

Lol

I wonder if this would have happened if London was ahead

Presumably London's public transport budget will be halved for the same reason

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

But can't the EU turn around and say the same thing as the UK is not a nation state itself?

I enjoyed Barniers response

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1352217579889303558?s=19

"You're clever lads, so figure it out or your trade is hosed"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

happyhippy posted:

As much as it pains me, the UK does legally constitute a nationstate, and the constituent parts are sub state entities.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

peanut- posted:

That's so bizarre.

"Pre-installed"

Trust literally no parts of the technical part of the story. Far more likely the laptops arrive at a central location for imaging/building/policies and pick up the virus from there, because their network is already infected.

Also it being a "Russian email servers!!!" means nothing and is far more likely its just a generic credential harvester and email spammer that happens to use some cloud servers hosted in Russia.

Edit: doesn't mean its a hilariously lovely job to do this, but when has any government IT project done anything correct. I say this as someone who has to deal with local council IT all the time, and find its all out sources to some nightmare firm who's response to "Would you mind changing this form to at least HTTPS?" is to ask what the difference is.

Double edit: Hilariously beaten!

IllusionistTrixie fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 21, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

LordVorbis posted:

"Pre-installed"

Trust literally no parts of the technical part of the story. Far more likely the laptops arrive at a central location for imaging/building/policies and pick up the virus from there, because their network is already infected.

Also it being a "Russian email servers!!!" means nothing and is far more likely its just a generic credential harvester and email spammer that happens to use some cloud servers hosted in Russia.

Edit: doesn't mean its a hilariously lovely job to do this, but when has any government IT project done anything correct. I say this as someone who has to deal with local council IT all the time, and find its all out sources to some nightmare firm who's response to "Would you mind changing this form to at least HTTPS?" is to ask what the difference is.

Double edit: Hilariously beaten!

This all sounds very plausible, but when forums poster Regarde Aduck says that this is overwhelming evidence of a conspiracy I just don't know who to believe!

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Weirdly a lot of the reaction to this is 'if only the Government had given more money to fund the arts, we need a festival!!' which... I mean isn't wrong, but is it really expected that enough of the population would be vaccinated by July to make this feasible?? Especially since the usual target for Glastonbury is younger people who will be bottom of the list for vaccinations. Do people really think that as soon as you personally get the vaccination everything can and should start going on as normal?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Robot Mil posted:

Do people really think that as soon as you personally get the vaccination everything can and should start going on as normal as long as they, personally, are comfortable and safe then the world is fine as it is?

Yes

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Literally me except I was slightly too young to vote in 2005. My vote has never won either nationally or even in the constituency itself, and both referendums went the opposite way. I won't stop voting but it really just feels like a ritual slap in the face at this point.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
FFS

https://twitter.com/MerseyPensioner/status/1351926031901405186?s=20

Jewish Chronicle already had to publish a ruling over false allegations:

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/ipso-upholds-labour-activist-s-accuracy-complaint-against-jc-1.493698

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Robot Mil posted:

Weirdly a lot of the reaction to this is 'if only the Government had given more money to fund the arts, we need a festival!!' which... I mean isn't wrong, but is it really expected that enough of the population would be vaccinated by July to make this feasible?? Especially since the usual target for Glastonbury is younger people who will be bottom of the list for vaccinations. Do people really think that as soon as you personally get the vaccination everything can and should start going on as normal?

I'm sorta surprised by the Glastonbury news because despite living nearby and its cancellation last year, case numbers had improved considerably and you had lots of outdoor events and mass marches by that time that I thought a limited festival would totally have been possible. I feel like outright cancellation is a pretty bold commitment considering they're still pretending fan-attended Wrestlemania and the Olympics are happening.