Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Thanks. I could use that to generate a firmware file that just left the LED's turned off, but not one that would default to off and cycle through the different patterns when I hit the pattern selection buttons. Still, that's probably fine for now.

It should still toggle through the other patterns, it does on my CTRL that I set up with that tool. What I don’t remember is if the LED config I created there overwrote the first default or not. But the LEDs are in the configuration i specified in the online tool at startup, no button press needed to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Midjack posted:

It should still toggle through the other patterns, it does on my CTRL that I set up with that tool. What I don’t remember is if the LED config I created there overwrote the first default or not. But the LEDs are in the configuration i specified in the online tool at startup, no button press needed to get there.

It'll toggle through the other patterns on whatever layer I hit the toggle pattern button on. So if I hold down the function key and toggle to the next pattern, that changes the pattern so long as function is held down. But when I release function and go back to layer 0, it reverts to the new default behavior for layer 0, i.e. off.

Perhaps I set it up wrong - I just selected all the LED's on layer 0 and set them to off in the configurator, and then used that.

NBD, once the new keycaps come that have legends rather than needing to shine through to see the name, the problem will be solved. (Mostly this is useful for remembering which special characters are associated with which numbers. Obviously I have 99% of the keyboard memorized.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcturas posted:

It'll toggle through the other patterns on whatever layer I hit the toggle pattern button on. So if I hold down the function key and toggle to the next pattern, that changes the pattern so long as function is held down. But when I release function and go back to layer 0, it reverts to the new default behavior for layer 0, i.e. off.

Perhaps I set it up wrong - I just selected all the LED's on layer 0 and set them to off in the configurator, and then used that.

NBD, once the new keycaps come that have legends rather than needing to shine through to see the name, the problem will be solved. (Mostly this is useful for remembering which special characters are associated with which numbers. Obviously I have 99% of the keyboard memorized.)

I thought mine was persistent when I was messing with it early on but I got it to stop after a few tries with firmware. If I get a chance I’ll fiddle around with it and see if I can get it to do what you want.

Edit: looks like I was remembering wrong, it says in a comment from October that a custom LED configuration replaces the default patterns.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 21, 2021

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Midjack posted:

I thought mine was persistent when I was messing with it early on but I got it to stop after a few tries with firmware. If I get a chance I’ll fiddle around with it and see if I can get it to do what you want.

Edit: looks like I was remembering wrong, it says in a comment from October that a custom LED configuration replaces the default patterns.

Fair enough, thanks. I appreciate the effort.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Canna Happy posted:

Novelkeys is doing a nk65 entry restock tomorrow at 10am est. I have one that I really like after redoing the lube on the stabs.

The timing on this is amazing. Was just popping in the thread to ask for a good 65% kit and this seems perfect.

Now to decide what switches to go with. Last time I was considering building a board Box Jades were probably highest on my list. Any new hotness in tactile switches I should know about?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Zealios or t1s would be my pick, but they’re not really new? A bunch of people in this thread like the u4 bobas.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CRAYON posted:

Last time I was considering building a board Box Jades were probably highest on my list. Any new hotness in tactile switches I should know about?

Box jades are clicky though?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Yeah I'm not too worried about noise. Clicky switches are still tactile unless there is something fundamental I'm missing about these words.

Canna Happy posted:

Zealios or t1s would be my pick, but they’re not really new? A bunch of people in this thread like the u4 bobas.

Thanks for the recommendations. Are t1s a Zealios clone? Never heard of Bobas and they seem to be getting some really good reviews.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 21, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

Clickys do have a tactile bump but generally "tactile switches" refers to switches with a tactile bump but no click mechanism - clicky/tactile/linear corresponding to cherry blue/brown/red

Box jades are still good

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Last followup for the time being: while we're still pending test results on nerve issues, my doctor was able to send over the confirmed medial epicondylitis diagnosis & recommend an ergo assessment & "necessary equipment" to mitigate it. My boss was already willing to pick up a Freestyle 2 as soon as it got the clear to go in the office budget and not someone's personal pocketbook. Looks like it's happening.
Thanks for commentary/suggestions/support folks.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Trip report on the Epomaker GK96:

I got the hot-swap optical switch option since I already had a bunch of Gateron Blacks from the sadly-disappointing SK71 I had. I picked the Gateron Brown option so have some diversity.

It’s capable of doing up to 3 Bluetooth connections, as well as a standard usb-c connection for charging/operation. There were some connection/lag issues but it seemed due to my laptop’s Bluetooth options needing to be updated/adjusted.

I’ve been looking for something that has the numpad since I do a lot of spreadsheet and scheduling work for my job. As you can see, it’s just as wide as my laptop, which is great for space and it fits in my laptop bag for easy transportation for when I’m out in the field for work.

The keycaps that came with it are PBT DSA-ish profile. I’m a huge fan, and they included blue accent keycaps along with oranges too. They also tossed in a Gateron Yellow and Green switch to try out, which I tossed on my Enter key and my ESC key. I left the Gateron Browns on my number row and other keys, with my Gateron Blacks on the main keys I use. They were lubed before on my SK71, so they’re nice and quiet and smooth. I plan on cracking open the case to install some foam once it arrives.

The keyboard isn’t heavy, but it’s not that cheap-feeling light weight either. It has two settings for the feet and because of it’s weight, I never found it to shift around a lot.

It is backlit if you like that sort of thing, with tons of customization. It will eat into the battery if you’re wireless, so I tend to keep it off since I typically don’t type in darkness aside from a small monitor lamp.

I do have some complaints:

The on/off button is in the direct middle of the board on the back, so it’s not exactly easy to switch on and off when you need to.

The stabs on the spacebar are a bit rattle-y that I plan on fixing when I open the case.

Secondary layer functions aren’t a lot past some media keys for volume control - there wasn’t any built in for HOME and END key. I’m assuming they want you to use their own software to modify it, which I may do at some time in the future.

Overall, I am a fan. I am coming from a Rosewill RK9000 V2 that was a solid battlestation keyboard, but not portable and a bit bulky. I’ve dipped into trying 65% boards with the Durgod Fusion (awesome) and the Akko 3084 (big fan).

I got in on the Kickstarter for the GK96 when it was $100. It’s a fair price and I recommend it for those that need an 1800 compact that is wireless and portable. It doesn’t use wireless dongle, so if your computer doesn’t have Bluetooth capability, you’re stuck with the wired connection.

Currently typing this out on the keyboard using the Bluetooth to my iPhone, and there isn’t any lag or delays, and switching back and forth from it to my laptop is only a few seconds.

I’m currently setting my eyes on other optical switches to try out since soldering isn’t in my future yet.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The Wyvern GB is going live 1/23 at 10AM pst if anyone is interested in a southpaw keyboard.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/kzzr6l/gb_wyvern_gb_launching_finally_10am_pst_123/

It's just frigging expensive. $410 oof.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I found out today that akko cloned GMK laser in PBT.

e: its called "akko neon"

mewse fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 21, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm looking for thin/low profile keyboard to use at my desk with my Macbook. I'm not opposed to just getting an Apple Magic Keyboard, but I also like me some mechanical keys too. I already have a Keychron K2, but it's way too thick/tall for my taste.

Does anyone have any thoughts on some of the 'low-profile' 65% boards out there?

The Nuphy nuType F1 is basically exactly what i'm looking for, but i've read just-ok things about it's build quality: https://nuphy.com/products/nutype-f1

Anything else I should look at?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

frogbs posted:

I'm looking for thin/low profile keyboard to use at my desk with my Macbook. I'm not opposed to just getting an Apple Magic Keyboard, but I also like me some mechanical keys too. I already have a Keychron K2, but it's way too thick/tall for my taste.

Does anyone have any thoughts on some of the 'low-profile' 65% boards out there?

The Nuphy nuType F1 is basically exactly what i'm looking for, but i've read just-ok things about it's build quality: https://nuphy.com/products/nutype-f1

I've only used this cheap [url]https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0722GG88M/]havit low profile board[/url] (kailh low profile switches) and I mainly got it to try out the switches. I like the switches so typing on it is fine, but the board itself isn't great just due to them trying to pack a lot of features into a cheap board. The refresh on the LED power is noticeable out of the corner of your eye and the lighting profiles are all done with key combinations so good luck if you lose the manual. Also the low profile switches use special keycaps so there's no swapping them out.

So my experience probably won't help you directly since they're different switches on a cheap board, but generally low profile can feel nice but there's a lot less selection for accessories and whatnot. If you're in doubt I'd check Nuphy's return policy and pick it up and try it if you can easily return it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

frogbs posted:

I've been using the Nuphy for most of COVID and am pretty drat happy with it. What have you heard about build quality? The chassis is mostly sturdy metal, and the rubber underneath seems good. I'm not surprised by this, but the ABS caps have gotten shiny over time and I haven't seen replacements for the profile (but I don't care either).

The only catch I'd say is that it's a bit taller than you'd possibly expect from the photos. I don't mind it at all, and do use it on top of my MacBook keyboard, but it does make the touchbar mostly useless in that configuration.

Battery life is fantastic, the case is excellent (and I do sometimes use it to prop up and connect to my Android phone for longer messages when I'm away from my personal computer), it connects through Bluetooth completely solidly -- never had an issue with it (I had one Bluetooth keyboard prior which was complete poo poo for connections), and the lighting is some of the best I've seen. I don't care about lights much, but I do like the fingerprints option. I like that it has three quick Bluetooth selections too -- can instantly switch between my MacBook, my phone, and in theory my PS4 if I ever feel like trash-talking jerks in Rocket League again.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 21, 2021

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Friends, I would like to upgrade my Varmilo TKL, should I spend ~$100 on:
A) an MT3 keycap set because goodness gracious the numpad set I got feels great; or
B) sending it to someone who will replace all the Box Whites I dislike with 50ish Zealios to match the alphas (and Box Navies to replace the couple Jades it has)? Not viable to do it myself and seems pretty reasonable what with the cost of the Zealios.

The keycaps are obviously more flexible since I can always use 'em on another board, but while I am mostly used to the Box Whites now, it is still kinda jarring in a bad way that the person who customized it put them on the numbers, []\, and especially spacebar.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
How about...

C) Send it off to replace all your switches with Mill-Max sockets to make it hotswappable. (https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/mill-max-manufacturing-corp/0305-2-15-80-47-27-10-0/2236852)

Then you can swap in any switch and keycap set at your own time whenever you get around to buying them.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Constellation I posted:

How about...

C) Send it off to replace all your switches with Mill-Max sockets to make it hotswappable. (https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/mill-max-manufacturing-corp/0305-2-15-80-47-27-10-0/2236852)

Then you can swap in any switch and keycap set at your own time whenever you get around to buying them.
Apparently Zealios V2 don't fit super well with those due to the bigger leg being too chunky, unfortunately. I already have Mill-Max sockets in my numpad and while they work pretty well (except for one that is messing up the alignment of one of my stabs because the previous owner was using this in another layout :argh:), I know that I love the Zealios I already have in this. I also already have a hot-swappable GMMK TKL I can mess around with if I wanna try new switches.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Hmmm, most of my boards are using Mill-Max sockets and have zero issues with Zealios. The board I'm typing on now is a Zealios 67g V2 with Mill-Max sockets and I don't remember having any issues with the fit at all.

EDIT: OH, there's actual new V2? Lol OK, I was referring to the 2nd run of Zealios way back which were called R2's... Each batch pretty much had a version designation and I'm misremembering. Dammit Zeal.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 21, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CRAYON posted:

The timing on this is amazing. Was just popping in the thread to ask for a good 65% kit and this seems perfect.

Now to decide what switches to go with. Last time I was considering building a board Box Jades were probably highest on my list. Any new hotness in tactile switches I should know about?

Box jades are probably the best feeling clicky switch out there since salmon alps. Definitely good choice there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

.Z. posted:

The Wyvern GB is going live 1/23 at 10AM pst if anyone is interested in a southpaw keyboard.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/kzzr6l/gb_wyvern_gb_launching_finally_10am_pst_123/

Yeah I've been eyeing it for a while but I'm taking a pass because there's too many other things to buy this/next month.
Similarly the Southpaw75v2 should be going to GB soon as well but I'm gonna pass on that too because the Alpine65 groupbuy runner is heavily involved and because of that I want no part of it.

Besides I've got a guaranteed slot for THE50r2 with a lefty numpad layout so I'm good.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I've been eyeing it for a while but I'm taking a pass because there's too many other things to buy this/next month.
Similarly the Southpaw75v2 should be going to GB soon as well but I'm gonna pass on that too because the Alpine65 groupbuy runner is heavily involved and because of that I want no part of it.

Besides I've got a guaranteed slot for THE50r2 with a lefty numpad layout so I'm good.

What’s wrong with the groupbuy runner of the alpine 65?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I've been using a Corsair K70 Lux for a couple years now and enjoy the form factor, but am thinking of switching to something still tactile but quiet to try and spare my d&d group whenever my mic is on. Turns out I don't really care about fancy lighting at all, if that makes any difference, I just like having a low light level for visibility. Anybody have suggestions for something quality in the same general sphere of keyboards?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
The real solution is honestly a noise gate + noise suppression and a mic boom arm if you don't have one already.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I feel bad that I still use QWERTY and haven't bothered to switch to the ergonomically superior DVORAK. I heard someone say "Once you DVORAK, you never turn around" or something like that

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Constellation I posted:

The real solution is honestly a noise gate + noise suppression and a mic boom arm if you don't have one already.

Wait, is that a thing? I already have my snowball on an arm, is there some program or something that automagically cuts out clacky noises and if so, does it work in discord?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, you can actually do it all in Discord. Have the snowball much closer to your mouth and turn down the gain. Set the input sensitivity so that it doesn't pick up audio when you're typing and not talking. If needed, turn on the Krisp noise suppression, though it'll make your audio sound a little worse.

If you have a recent Nvidia card you can just use RTX Voice as well.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Constellation I posted:

Yeah, you can actually do it all in Discord. Have the snowball much closer to your mouth and turn down the gain. Set the input sensitivity so that it doesn't pick up audio when you're typing and not talking. If needed, turn on the Krisp noise suppression, though it'll make your audio sound a little worse.

If you have a recent Nvidia card you can just use RTX Voice as well.

Oh, hmm. Problem is that I share the mic with my girlfriend sitting next to me, so I need it to be able to pick up from a distance. Looks like the 1660 doesn't have RTX voice, either.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Ah, that's probably your problem then, maybe if you can get it a little further from the keyboards and closer to you guys. In that case, either use Krisp or RTX voice. Should still work on a recent card. My friend uses it on a 980.

You used to need to edit the install files, not sure if they changed it so you don't need to:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-voice-works-fine-on-non-rtx-gpus

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Cheese Thief posted:

I feel bad that I still use QWERTY and haven't bothered to switch to the ergonomically superior DVORAK. I heard someone say "Once you DVORAK, you never turn around" or something like that

You could also try Colemak or Workman. I've been using Colemak since 2012 much to the confusion of anyone who sits down at my computer for anything. I tend to leave my keycaps in QWERTY though since I'm a touch typist and I've had IT folks just stare in dismay until I switch the keyboard setting back.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ihatepants posted:

What’s wrong with the groupbuy runner of the alpine 65?

Oh I don't have a problem with him specifically but I have no faith in the Alpine65 groupbuy. The deskmats took twice as long as promised to deliver. I can't imagine how an order of 500 keyboards is going to go for a first time GB runner. Not the best judgement imo.

Also his "advertisement" it properly cringeworthy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsaR44i8QWU

I mean he's clearly riffing on something but it's just kinda ew...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh I don't have a problem with him specifically but I have no faith in the Alpine65 groupbuy. The deskmats took twice as long as promised to deliver. I can't imagine how an order of 500 keyboards is going to go for a first time GB runner. Not the best judgement imo.

Also his "advertisement" it properly cringeworthy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsaR44i8QWU

I mean he's clearly riffing on something but it's just kinda ew...

Even if I wanted one of those the video thumbnail would send me off. Then the video started playing at it somehow got even worse.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

.Z. posted:

I want a keyboard like this but with the function row and win key, I’d even accept it with a left handed numpad. So close to being perfect.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ijyt posted:

I want a keyboard like this but with the function row and win key, I’d even accept it with a left handed numpad. So close to being perfect.

https://thekey.company/products/sp-111

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
or if you're too cheap for sp-111 and don't need a numpad:

https://keeb.io/products/sinc-split-staggered-75-keyboard

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

who does this: https://keeb.io/products/wtf60-mirrored-60-keyboard-pcb

why would you do this

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HAHAHA That's so degenerate, I love it.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
My ZSA Moonlander came in the mail, just shy of three weeks after ordering it. This was a pleasant surprise because when I placed the order they estimated it would ship in five weeks. A day into using it and I'm in love even though my typing speed is completely in the shitter (this is my first go with a split and an ortholinear keyboard). Here are my first impressions after one day of use:
  • Setting the two halves shoulder-width apart has been even more wonderful than I had hoped for my shoulders. Obviously, with anything physical like this I'll have to wait and see how it feels in the long run, but this was some clouds breaking and light coming down from the heavens poo poo.
  • There is definitely a learning curve, and I'm still toying with the layout. I knew to expect that, but I naively hoped that because I considered myself a touch-typist that it wouldn't be that bad.
  • I didn't love the Kailh box whites I had ordered the board with, but I only used them for a couple of hours before I swapped them out for U4 Bobas due to the noise. The Bobas are a dream to type on, and unlubed are barely any louder than my old membrane keyboard.
  • I thought the lighting was mostly an aesthetic thing that I'd turn off immediately because it's not my cup of tea, but being able to set key-specific colors has been useful for keeping track of layers and special keys. It helps that you can choose colors that are far less garish than you usually see with RGB computer lighting.
  • One thing I didn't expect was that, when tilted, the halves slide and rotate a bit over time. My desk has a rather smooth surface so I think I'll need to pick up a desk mat.

Now I'm thinking it would be nice to add some sculpted keycaps, my poor wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

.Z. posted:

https://thekey.company/products/sp-111

why is it broken