Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Iamgoofball posted:

They're refusing to port any content out of it to the base game themselves.

If someone were to port them to New Vegas itself without the mod team's approval I'm positive there'd be like, an Arthmoor Oblivion Gates level meltdown.

call it the "Frontier community patch", describe it as "fixing the glaring mistakes in the writing" and then there's like ten cars you can ride round (and nothing else)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Taeke posted:

Oh hey, I heard that mod that's been in the making for years finally released. Haven't played New Vegas in ages, so this might be a good reason to get back into it.

A 12 gig download? Awesome! Must be lots of content. While that's downloading, let's check what the goons have to say about it.

Oh.

Huh.

[x] Cancel download

*click*

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Proletarian Mango posted:

Wow, they're really doing that? Pft hahaha they're the worst stereotypes of bethesda modders

They're not.

https://twitter.com/Xilandro/status/1350918816704954371?s=19

e: like the poo poo they've gotten for the writing is absolutely deserved, but it's been less than a week since release and it's not even on steam yet, yeah no poo poo they haven't ported anything yet

double edit:

https://twitter.com/Xilandro/status/1352226360308199427?s=19

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 21, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Alright, so according to Goons every major eagerly-anticipated FNV mod has come out trash due to writing and scripting.

Beyond Boulder Dome

Fallout New California

Fallout The Frontier

Seems like it's up to us goons to create a small-esque new land to explore mod that does it right. :smuggo: Who's up for collaboration?

Sorta joking.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Alright, so according to Goons every major eagerly-anticipated FNV mod has come out trash due to writing and scripting.

Beyond Boulder Dome

Fallout New California

Fallout The Frontier

Seems like it's up to us goons to create a small-esque new land to explore mod that does it right. :smuggo: Who's up for collaboration?

Sorta joking.

In the finest tradition of Fallout fans, I'll toss ideas out without actually doing anything.

Fallout: Florida please.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dallout Miami is an for mod that is never coming out.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Imagine four mods on the edge of a cliff.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I'll start the wiki

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I'll come out with a grand and entirely impractical vision, constantly push to expand the scope without doing any kind of revision or review, get extremely angry every time someone offers even minor feedback, and then quit in a huff leaving everyone else to deal with my half-implemented garbage

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'll come out with a grand and entirely impractical vision, constantly push to expand the scope without doing any kind of revision or review, get extremely angry every time someone offers even minor feedback, and then quit in a huff leaving everyone else to deal with my half-implemented garbage

radium is that you

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Fallout New California

I heard nothing but bad things about Boulder Dome, but is New California really that bad? My expectations are not high; if the writing as a whole is on par with the dumbest parts of 3 (Republic of Dave, "I'm a big, strong guy/lady") I'd be ok with that.

Also, for anyone who still needs to hear this 13 years later: "This explains why I never saw your face" is Perception, not Intelligence. It's right there in the name of the stat, Emil Pagliarulo. Give that Best Writing award back to Jonathan Blow, you hack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Again it seems like the opposite design ethos of new vegas. Most quests in New Vegas are pretty small scale. "Get the ghouls out of the test facility." "Fix the solar panels." Steal the manufacturing blueprints."

Where they shine is when they bounce off of one another and coalesce into an expansive whole.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I always thought Alaska was a good idea for a fun setting. You've got not only the leftover equipment from the Chinese invasion, but for interesting groups you've got Orthodox Russians, lots of warring fishing tribes, and maybe even descendants of Canadian rebels since Canada was annexed in 2077. You could have fun monsters like loving huge mutated Elk, Alaskan King Mirelurks, of course Kodiak Yao Guai.

If someone could manage that setting without somehow shoving half of their fetishes into it then it could make for a fun mod.

I almost actually want to start writing this :v:

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 21, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

McTimmy posted:

Imagine four mods on the edge of a cliff.

Fallout: Clashpoint.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Walker posted:

I heard nothing but bad things about Boulder Dome, but is New California really that bad? My expectations are not high; if the writing as a whole is on par with the dumbest parts of 3 (Republic of Dave, "I'm a big, strong guy/lady") I'd be ok with that.

Also, for anyone who still needs to hear this 13 years later: "This explains why I never saw your face" is Perception, not Intelligence. It's right there in the name of the stat, Emil Pagliarulo. Give that Best Writing award back to Jonathan Blow, you hack.

It was clearly made by people that didn't "get" New Vegas as it's a prequel in which the Courier is some sort of half mutant clone of (I think) the Vault Dweller with crazy regenerative powers.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They're not.

https://twitter.com/Xilandro/status/1350918816704954371?s=19

e: like the poo poo they've gotten for the writing is absolutely deserved, but it's been less than a week since release and it's not even on steam yet, yeah no poo poo they haven't ported anything yet

Iamgoofball posted:

They're refusing to port any content out of it to the base game themselves.

If someone were to port them to New Vegas itself without the mod team's approval I'm positive there'd be like, an Arthmoor Oblivion Gates level meltdown.

You should probably stop posting poo poo like this, bud

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Xilandro is an insanely talented modder but they work slow. Give it time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Why would you want vehicles in base NV? The worldspace isn't designed for them, the faster you go the smaller the map seems. People will just zip around bonking ants in the dry lakes for 5 minutes and drop them.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Because it'd be fairly trivial to move junk off the roads in geck. There's lots of poo poo the game wasn't designed for. partly the point of mods is getting the game to do poo poo like that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best way to use vehicles in a fallout worldspace would be to design a map around using the car. Aka lots of wide open mad max wasteland separating small oases of settlements or points of interest.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

SkyeAuroline posted:

In the finest tradition of Fallout fans, I'll toss ideas out without actually doing anything.

Fallout: Florida please.

Arcsquad 12 posted:

Dallout Miami is an for mod that is never coming out.

Forums Medic posted:

PinheadSlim posted:

I always thought Alaska was a good idea for a fun setting. You've got not only the leftover equipment from the Chinese invasion, but for interesting groups you've got Orthodox Russians, lots of warring fishing tribes, and maybe even descendants of Canadian rebels since Canada was annexed in 2077. You could have fun monsters like loving huge mutated Elk, Alaskan King Mirelurks, of course Kodiak Yao Guai.

If someone could manage that setting without somehow shoving half of their fetishes into it then it could make for a fun mod.

drat, ya'll got some ambitious ideas. I was just thinking a smallish quest mod to Arizona where you can help launch a slave rebellion against Caesar's Legion, with NCR spy support or in legion-friendly, be a double (triple?) agent who sabotages NCR efforts.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 21, 2021

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I'd love to see a Legion expansion, one exploring what it's actually like in their territories since the Legion isn't actually a government as such and the line they have between what constitutes ignorant tribals to be "civilized" and communities to not-enslave, but I would trust no one--especially not the people involved in the Fallout modding community--to write it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want cars in New Vegas so I can do sick donuts on Ivanpah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'll insert my fetishes into the writing. Presenting the new companion, Footmistress, and her tribe of barefoot warrior women.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Basic Chunnel posted:

Why would you want vehicles in base NV? The worldspace isn't designed for them, the faster you go the smaller the map seems. People will just zip around bonking ants in the dry lakes for 5 minutes and drop them.

Yeah I actually installed the XRE Cars mod a while back, and it worked well enough, but this was pretty much my experience—novelty for a half hour before dropping it completely. By contrast, the Frontier's map is much more dense than the Mojave, which makes travelling in a vehicle more interesting—as going across the map takes both time and patience to navigate around terrain and enemies.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Walker posted:

My expectations are not high; if the writing as a whole is on par with the dumbest parts of 3 (Republic of Dave, "I'm a big, strong guy/lady") I'd be ok with that.
that's treason against Dave

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Lurdiak posted:

I'll insert my fetishes into the writing. Presenting the new companion, Footmistress, and her tribe of barefoot warrior women.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is this the America Ulysses keeps talking about?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
why not re-create fallout:nv in the rimworld engine and try to run your junkyard towns against the legion, etc

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Can I be the guy who puts poorly documented and difficult to notice changes into completely unrelated parts of the game, breaking all compatibility? Also I have to be able to get huffy if anyone asks for a version of the mod without them.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lima posted:

[x] Cancel download

*click*

lol, before I read this the download finished so I figured I'd give it a shot anyway, but then decided better of it and I'm going to mod Morrowind to make it all pretty and give that a playthrough. Maybe I'll actually finish it this time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

drat, ya'll got some ambitious ideas. I was just thinking a smallish quest mod to Arizona where you can help launch a slave rebellion against Caesar's Legion, with NCR spy support or in legion-friendly, be a double (triple?) agent who sabotages NCR efforts.

Alaska was PinheadSlim's idea.

I'm more in your camp I like the mods that add some flavor to the main game itself. Glad the thread steered me clear of Bounties III after most enjoying I and II because I read up on III and it sounds like it goes into the crapper.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Ironslave posted:

I'd love to see a Legion expansion, one exploring what it's actually like in their territories since the Legion isn't actually a government as such and the line they have between what constitutes ignorant tribals to be "civilized" and communities to not-enslave, but I would trust no one--especially not the people involved in the Fallout modding community--to write it.

All the more reason for goons to tackle a project like that; keep each other in check and make sure no weird rear end-poo poo and fetishes get in.

Going into Arizona you could have a Wild Wasteland encounter where you have to disguise yourself as Legion to rescue someone and they say "Aren't you a little short to be a Legionnaire?"

MariusLector posted:

Feet Fetish in The Frontier

Damnit it's worse than I thought.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm more in your camp I like the mods that add some flavor to the main game itself. Glad the thread steered me clear of Bounties III after most enjoying I and II because I read up on III and it sounds like it goes into the crapper.

Yeah, a small new world space that feeds off the main story but does not alter the main story except in unseen ways is the best way to go I think.

I feel like I'm starting to reach a critical overload of story mods though, it's starting to feel like there might be TOO much to do now, and the base game is getting forgotten about.

I think I'm still going to try Bounties III. If I really hate it there's a plenty a mod someone whipped up that rewrites Marko's character. Too bad Someguy got a little too obsessed with the guy, Having Marko be just some crazy deranged psychopath who's dangerous because he just doesn't care what he does, as opposed to some whiny-Ulysses clone that tries to justify his own lovely actions because of all the people you, The Courier, have killed would have been better. And I think it would've been much better to have the fate of Frosthill dependent on whether you go after Marko or not, rather than making the fight with Marko a pathetic coda to the crapsack that is the rest of the mod.. Still, what Bounties III turned out to be is way better than his original "Lake of Fire" treatment (Read it on his mod and prepare to despair over what he originally was planning.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 21, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah if you're going smaller scale Arizona is perfect, especially if you're looking for more ways to gently caress with the legion. Arizona Insurgent mod for NV when?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Out in Arizona where the bad men are
The only friend to guide you is the evening star
The roughest, toughest man by far
Is ragtime cowboy joe!

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Proletarian Mango posted:

You should probably stop posting poo poo like this, bud

They literally said in their discord multiple times that they wouldn't release anything standalone. I don't know what to tell you. If they change their stance on it, then ok I'm a big dumb dipshit, but last time I saw someone ask the devs "hey will you release X standalone" they said "no, install the mod". Same with the cars, same with the custom pipboy, same with the guns. If you want cars, it's probably forever going to be attached to a 12gb download 24gb extracted mod. Maybe they'll add them to New Vegas in the mod, but it'll still be attached to the mod.

Iamgoofball fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 21, 2021

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

TheLoneStar posted:

Who even talks that way? Especially in a world where people probably don't even know what fascism is anymore.

"Objective evil absolutely exists in the post apocalyptic wastelands."
-Someone that played New Vegas and totally understood the writing of it.

And yeah going from this to slapping bomb collars on people just makes it really, really confusing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

For what it's worth, I have a lot of experience doing level design for other people's overambitious mod ideas. I can pitch in, then get dispirited when it becomes clear that not a single one of the project leads has a clue what they are doing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Iamgoofball posted:

They literally said in their discord multiple times that they wouldn't release anything standalone. I don't know what to tell you. If they change their stance on it, then ok I'm a big dumb dipshit, but last time I saw someone ask the devs "hey will you release X standalone" they said "no, install the mod". Same with the cars, same with the custom pipboy, same with the guns. If you want cars, it's probably forever going to be attached to a 12gb download 24gb extracted mod. Maybe they'll add them to New Vegas in the mod, but it'll still be attached to the mod.

e: Standalone mod stuff is gonna be up to the individual mod authors in any case, it's not like "the devs" can block somebody from releasing stuff they made for the mod on their own.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Well poo poo, I didn't see that message. I am a big dumb dipshit.