Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

The touring bug bit my wife unexpectedly hard, she picked herself up a pair of Hoji boots today and is demoing some Kastle skis this weekend. I'm going to try out a splitboard when we go out Saturday.

This is (mostly) your fault, spwrozek. You and your stupid pictures.

:perfect:

The Hojis are a really nice blend of tourability and performance. I can easily easily overpower them, but if you don't want to carve GS turns, they're pretty fun inbounds and out. Also they're like super duper comfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Eejit posted:

The Hojis are a really nice blend of tourability and performance. I can easily easily overpower them, but if you don't want to carve GS turns, they're pretty fun inbounds and out. Also they're like super duper comfortable

That’s pretty much what they said at the shop, with the caveat being they have a weird fit. Whatever it is, they fit her perfectly without any work which is great.

Edit: there's the new Hoji Pro Free which is about 20% stiffer than the Pro Tour if you want something even stiffer.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 20, 2021

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

If anyone else is looking for an avi course to take, Bluebird Backcountry just opened up a bunch of spots. My friend and I are taking the course on 2/11-2/12 if any goons would like to join.
https://shop.bluebirdbackcountry.com/aiare-1

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
In case anyone here hasn’t seen this yet, probably my favorite snowboarding movie ever, The Eternal Beauty of Snowboarding - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FKeUVMMl0fc

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

MMD3 posted:

I picked up a new pair of K2 Holgate Snowboard boots recently and wore them to the mountain for the first time yesterday.

All in all they fit well and I was pretty happy with them but the one thing that didn't feel great is that where their Conda boa retention system pulled into my ankle it definitely felt like it was pinching when the point of it is to distribute the pressure.

Wondering if anyone else has K2 boots w/ the Conda system and can speak to if this is normal or if there's anything I can do to improve it. I still need to go back to the shop to heat mold my liners and maybe get some insoles custom fit. But I'd love to not have to have bruised ankles after each time I ride.

I’ve ridden both the Darkos and Enders. Never had an issue with them hurting my ankles, but they did put a lot of pressure on my instep which was enough to have me switch over to DC boots. If it’s just the mechanism pinching your ankle an insole might help to “shrink” the shape of your foot and provide better comfort

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

retpocileh posted:

In case anyone here hasn’t seen this yet, probably my favorite snowboarding movie ever, The Eternal Beauty of Snowboarding - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FKeUVMMl0fc

Dude, this movie is also one of my favorite snowboard movies of all time. He also put out a coffee table book this year called Heroes that is entirely about women in snowboarding. It's the film's equal.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

retpocileh posted:

My newer jam is this. This is bizarre air off side hits.

https://youtu.be/DRruzeLwB-o

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

:getin:

I'm taking at least half the day off work tomorrow. My replacement phone with a better camera AND A SKI LANYARD to keep it fastened even when "safe in my pocket" is also on its way.

4 Year Old's Ski Lesson Update: After watching a bunch of parents on the mountain, and at the base area, with kids of various sizes, I decided that before I take kiddo to Mad River I want them very comfortable holding on to my ski pole and being pulled.

I'm pretty impressed how fast kids this age pick stuff up. We've only gone out a half dozen times. Two days ago, she seemed completely incapable of standing up by herself, when sitting down in snow, in ski boots -- I showed her how to roll over, go onto her knees, but from there she just seemed to lack the strength and intuiton, so I had to help her. Today, the first time she went to try to stand up... she just did it, without saying anything or asking for help, and when I pointed it out she seemed surprised and happy. Since then she did it another half dozen times.

Two days ago she basically refused to try to hold my pole tip at all; today she is comfortable on flat ground, enjoys it when we go down a slight grade, and only hates going uphill. I think this is a mix of her having a hard time keeping her tips straight, and not having at all developed a lot of the core and thigh muscles this needs. I ordered a tip connector for her skis which I'll have Saturday. Her endurance tends to be 30-45mins with some breaks, so, whenever we do start going to the mountain, we'll spend as long getting there and back as we spend there, but that's fine with me. I want this to be fun for her and even though I am making her work harder than she wants to through a combination of bribery, goading and flattery, I sort of know where the limit is where she'll come inside and say she had a good time.

Past a point I am not going to be pushy; I want to give her a shot at learning the basics from a young age, and then I will make it possible for her to ski as much as is reasonable, but if she hits a point where she either has no interest or says "f you dad, I want to snowboard instead", that'll be fine with me, even if it will grate me to start buying Sugarbush passes.

2020 flashback: here's one of my last runs down Paradise last year. I could spend a whole weekend on this one run and associated glades, easily.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Anyone have strong feelings for or against cutting new skins for new skis? The skins I cut for my old pair fit decently on the new ones. The gap to the edge is 1-2 mm wider than I’d like, especially underfoot, but I can’t imagine it’s going to make a huge amount of difference especially with the mellow touring I do right now. Am I going to regret this? Test driving the set up tomorrow so maybe I’ll answer my own question.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I'm taking at least half the day off work tomorrow. My replacement phone with a better camera AND A SKI LANYARD to keep it fastened even when "safe in my pocket" is also on its way.

4 Year Old's Ski Lesson Update: After watching a bunch of parents on the mountain, and at the base area, with kids of various sizes, I decided that before I take kiddo to Mad River I want them very comfortable holding on to my ski pole and being pulled.

This is so cool. MRG was the first place I ever skied. Can’t really say I learned to ski there, we left VT before I was 4. But my parents would carry me up the little slope by the lodge near the base of the race hill and I’d slide down between their legs. I did spend a lot of time in the cricket club. Does that still exist?

Enjoy tomorrow.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ought ten posted:

Anyone have strong feelings for or against cutting new skins for new skis? The skins I cut for my old pair fit decently on the new ones. The gap to the edge is 1-2 mm wider than I’d like, especially underfoot, but I can’t imagine it’s going to make a huge amount of difference especially with the mellow touring I do right now. Am I going to regret this? Test driving the set up tomorrow so maybe I’ll answer my own question.

As long as it is not covering your edges you are good. If it is covering your edges I would go ahead and run a trimmer down them.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

spwrozek posted:

As long as it is not covering your edges you are good. If it is covering your edges I would go ahead and run a trimmer down them.

Yeah don't be an idiot like me and try to ski down a sidehill slope with your edges covered.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

Yeah don't be an idiot like me and try to ski down a sidehill slope with your edges covered.

Hey it least you were not eating poo poo every 20'. I watched a guy on a split fall on that 1/2 mile on the way out at least 15 times. I felt pretty bad for him.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

Look, if you’re not falling you’re not pushing yourself.

Thanks both. Might need a little trim near the front but I think I should be good to go

highme
May 25, 2001

Moey posted:

My newer jam is this. This is bizarre air off side hits.

https://youtu.be/DRruzeLwB-o

Longo is ridiculous. I could watch him and Kevin Backstrom all day long.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

highme posted:

Longo is ridiculous. I could watch him and Kevin Backstrom all day long.

Videos like that are 10000x more interesting than watching people spin to win off park jumps.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

Videos like that are 10000x more interesting than watching people spin to win off park jumps.

Floaty BS 180's will always win in my heart.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

highme posted:

Dude, this movie is also one of my favorite snowboard movies of all time. He also put out a coffee table book this year called Heroes that is entirely about women in snowboarding. It's the film's equal.

This looks awesome.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Oh my god is it actually gonna snow? Starting to get worried about my trip to Silverton in February.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

When I booked my trip I thought to myself "I would rather get out there earlier, but I bet by February there will be tons of snow and everything will be open".

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Oh my god is it actually gonna snow? Starting to get worried about my trip to Silverton in February.

Southwest flow looking good for you.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When I booked my trip I thought to myself "I would rather get out there earlier, but I bet by February there will be tons of snow and everything will be open".

When you getting here? things are looking up at least a bit.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Booked a motel near crested butte last night and of course the nearly 18" forecast is now looking like 3"-7" :ughh: So much for trying out the Archetype.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

Southwest flow looking good for you.

When you getting here? things are looking up at least a bit.

I should be driving into town on the 31st. And I am staying all February, so I am quite hopeful that there will be some snow in the meantime. I am staying in a condo in Avon that is walking distance to the parking lot gondola for Beaver Creek, which has me really excited, because I won't need to drive to the mountain everyday, so that should be great. I am going to go ski vail the day of the super bowl though, and possibly more during the week.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I know better than to take a forecast (let alone one this far out) at face value at this point, but I can't help myself. We might finally get a real storm this season. (Mammoth too!)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah the next week or two looks promising, fingers crossed. We are headed back up to the condo on Sunday for another week of "remote work" in anticipation.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Yeah Slack works just fine from the chairlift

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUjsD1fOGXs&t=187s

3:07 :staredog:

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Is that bit at 5:02 the same guy from a third person perspective??

E: nevermind, just realized the second guy started with his skis off.

highme
May 25, 2001

Because the project I'm on required a more defined PTO calendar than usual, I took the entire first week of February off for my birthday. 14-day forecasts are dodgy as gently caress, but the pattern looks promising for me to get a day or 2 in somewhere. Otherwise I'm just gonna stay home and play shootybangs.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

ought ten posted:

This is so cool. MRG was the first place I ever skied. Can’t really say I learned to ski there, we left VT before I was 4. But my parents would carry me up the little slope by the lodge near the base of the race hill and I’d slide down between their legs. I did spend a lot of time in the cricket club. Does that still exist?

It does! I didn't really look into it this year because of COVID concerns but it's on my list of potentially useful things for the next few years (we have another kiddo on the way soon).

Plenty of powder in the woods today. Also some rocks, ice, etc; I have a strained hip and the usual assortment of bumps and bruises, but I expect to be good to go again by next Tues. VERY FOGGY AND MYSTERIOUS TODAY WOW

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Those tree runs look like a blast!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Has anyone skied the Nomad Lite yet?.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

Those tree runs look like a blast!

They are, I can't stay out of the woods and I get tired as poo poo and hurt myself.

Doing lots of glades made me stop thinking of mogul fields as tiring, and instead as a place to practice higher speeds with substantially less risk.

ninja: i have an icepack on my rear end/hip right now, deliberate controlled fall into what turned out to be a stump under 1/8" of white ice, oops.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

What are the odds that guy was able to retrieve their skis?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What are the odds that guy was able to retrieve their skis?

If he had that much trouble stopping, I wonder how well the binding brakes worked.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just tried on the Phantom Slipper... I foresee saying good by to too much money in the future. I am going to demo them on a tour soon though and see what I think.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It does! I didn't really look into it this year because of COVID concerns but it's on my list of potentially useful things for the next few years (we have another kiddo on the way soon).

Plenty of powder in the woods today. Also some rocks, ice, etc; I have a strained hip and the usual assortment of bumps and bruises, but I expect to be good to go again by next Tues. VERY FOGGY AND MYSTERIOUS TODAY WOW

Nice. Foggy over here in Maine today too. No pictures but conditions sound about the same. First day on new skis so after one scrape-y scratchy run in the trees I stuck to man made snow. One more good storm would put us in good shape I think. I heard sugarbush just got a ton of snow though?

Found out when I got there there was a tele demo day going on. I’d had my fill of the few runs that were open so I tried that out for the first time. I was surprised I could make it down the hill on them okay, but it was very obvious how far off even bare proficiency was.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

So I'm taking this with a million grains of salt because it's just one model run, probably cherry picked because lol, and it's still pretty far out.

But uhh, still some indication that things might be escalating pretty quickly.

That's inches of snow in the next 16 days. I live just north of the "." in "271.8"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Black Crows makes some good short films.

Tony & Deano, ski bums forever

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

So I'm taking this with a million grains of salt because it's just one model run, probably cherry picked because lol, and it's still pretty far out.

But uhh, still some indication that things might be escalating pretty quickly.

That's inches of snow in the next 16 days. I live just north of the "." in "271.8"

All depends on where that snow line is. But umm go buy more food and water. Just in case. That much snow, if it happens, is your ain't going nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It's called Donner Lake for a reason