Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

It still baffles my mind they want to get kids back to school in 100 days.

That put us at what? May?

That's a month/month and a half before summer break. Keep the kids away from school until the next school year and let the vaccine do its thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's good for the headlines but also, importantly, means they know kids shouldn't be in school really and will follow through with the only real mandate that everyone agrees on: children should be safe.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

pro starcraft loser posted:

It still baffles my mind they want to get kids back to school in 100 days.

That put us at what? May?

That's a month/month and a half before summer break. Keep the kids away from school until the next school year and let the vaccine do its thing.

It's an infrastructure project disguised as a call to action. What Biden seems to want is to install upgraded ventilation equipment and better safety gear in classrooms to ensure they're safe to use with groups of kids who are masking. But in practice it will generate a ton of jobs as most schools have lousy HVAC systems. And as a bonus those HVAC systems will get a sorely needed upgrade.

I've seen studies of CO2 concentrations in classrooms over the course of the day and they support a need to improve HVAC anyway, so as a bonus kids in school will be breathing much cleaner air even after the pandemic is over.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Good.. governance?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sex Skeleton posted:

It's an infrastructure project disguised as a call to action. What Biden seems to want is to install upgraded ventilation equipment and better safety gear in classrooms to ensure they're safe to use with groups of kids who are masking. But in practice it will generate a ton of jobs as most schools have lousy HVAC systems. And as a bonus those HVAC systems will get a sorely needed upgrade.

I've seen studies of CO2 concentrations in classrooms over the course of the day and they support a need to improve HVAC anyway, so as a bonus kids in school will be breathing much cleaner air even after the pandemic is over.

Infrastructure project? Is infrastructure week finally happening?

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012

jokes posted:

Are people pretending the kids are immune? Is that where this is coming from?

Our district is basically saying that kids don’t really get it, it’s not that bad if they do, and there’s “no evidence of school spread”. In the past few weeks the 0-19 year old numbers are higher than any other age group in the state.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

My dad is a teacher at a chud heavy private school here in California and they stayed open through their county moving up to the most restrictive state tier (purple which is worse than red, I guess). Well they had an outbreak and are now remote for two weeks.

My dad was planning to retire at the end of the school year and the stress is doing a number on him so I'm trying to convince him to say gently caress it and just quit. The school has multiple teachers with high risk health issues but they're pushing ahead with opening. Yay non union shops!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Severedseven posted:

Not to bum you out but my wife, child and I all got COVID last week (99% sure from school). We're both teachers with limited class sizes and staggered schedules. Right before getting COVID the school board rushed to vote returning face to face full classes as "there's no evidence of community spread in schools." There appears to currently be a pretty good size outbreak happening at the school that we were informed of a week after we got symptoms. Administration has told us that it only happened because staff isn't following all the guidelines. My quarantine ends next week and lines up with the return to full classes so I guess I don't have to worry about getting COVID from school anymore...

i love the one-two combo of spouting hilariously poorly informed gibberish, making you do something dangerous, and then blaming you for their poor decision when they achieve obvious bad outcomes. ive quit over less :byewhore:

Puppy Galaxy posted:

There was an article sometime last year in the NYT - maybe the summer? - saying that the risk to kids is very slim and outweighed the risk of kids falling behind with remote learning. Like many articles published about covid it was probably based on a flawed study funded by a partisan group. As far as I know the risk to kids is fairly low compared to other groups, but yeah, it seems likely that they can spread it.

i bet if you dug that article up it would be written by an epidemiologist virologist doctor economist of some sort.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Sex Skeleton posted:

Ahh, my fault, I didn't see the section about new construction.

Fancy that, tax dollars going to help Americans live better. Huh....

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Delta-Wye posted:

i bet if you dug that article up it would be written by an epidemiologist virologist doctor economist of some sort.

yup, a Brown University economist named Emily Oster. who is tripling down on it for sunk cost fallacy reasons. gotta love it

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Classic Comrade posted:

yup, a Brown University economist named Emily Oster. who is tripling down on it for sunk cost fallacy reasons. gotta love it

gettin our health advice from money folks, so american

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
So what’s the deal with her? Saying it’s safe for schools to reopen when that’s not her area of expertise at all?

She wrote a few books on pregnancy and parenting too. For the sake of the gazillions of kids whose parents will read them, I hope those books are adequately science-based...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

She wrote a few books on pregnancy and parenting too. For the sake of the gazillions of kids whose parents will read them, I hope those books are adequately science-based...

They’re probably ghostwritten platitudes.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
There was a paper in Science [from way back in September, and just an observational study, and about India] that suggested kids have been key to the spread of the virus:

Largest COVID-19 contact tracing study to date finds children key to spread, evidence of superspreaders

Has understanding/interpretation changed in the months since or are people who believe otherwise just confusing policy response with science?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The thing that I don’t get is why is it so bad to lose a single year or whatever anyway?
The school system in its current form was developed over a hundred years ago when your life expectancy would be about half what it is now. If everyone loses a year and it saved a ton of lives who gives a poo poo? Like why are the majority of governments so obsessed with this arbitrary setup?
I’ve been wondering this since kier starmer in the UK wouldn’t shut up about it even though he’s the leader of the opposition.

I’m sure there’s something I’m missing but why has it become such an obsession at least in the USA and UK.

E: I understand the burden of care but that is never given as the reason and with significant amounts of people wfh now it doesn’t seem as bad as it might do at first. Like maybe it should be legislated that for a while companies have to be more accommodating with work times and so on.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 21, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

indiscriminately posted:

There was a paper in Science [from way back in September, and just an observational study, and about India] that suggested kids have been key to the spread of the virus:

Largest COVID-19 contact tracing study to date finds children key to spread, evidence of superspreaders

Has understanding/interpretation changed in the months since or are people who believe otherwise just confusing policy response with science?

From what I understand, children didn't show symptoms so there was some speculation that they weren't spreaders, but nothing was confirmed. The newest studies I've heard about showed that children are definitely spreaders at least the same rate as adults.

Plus now with the reports of the SA variant hitting children much harder, there's even less reason to push in-school learning right now.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

indiscriminately posted:

I think any different understanding stems from the desire for people to return to work, and having kids in schools makes that a lot easier. the intellectual justification comes afterwards; its like a confirmation bias sorta thing. nevermind if it's actually safe to return to in-person work or school! gotta make that economy go brrr

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1352345094540685312

poty posted:

Please use this thread to discuss your plans to save the world (SA successfully curbed Ebola by grounding all planes I recall), and how you plan to spend your last few days after those plans have failed

Happy thread anniversary! It's been a hell of a year, but one thing is clear, I was correct in mocking the idea that this virus would be dangerous enough to warrant shutting down air travel!

poty fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 21, 2021

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My question is what are we going to do about this school year?

My district has record failures. Record number of kids so far behind that they're only able to do work at a previous grade level (or lower).

We gonna hold everyone back? Super summer school? Pretend it's all fine?

Parents that can are pulling their kids out and homeschooling, or sending them to private schools.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Federal guidance will probably end up being the least stupid option but your local school district will likely do the most stupid option because Trump brain infected a lot of administrators who cannot change their mind/guidance in the presence of new information.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

jokes posted:

Federal guidance will probably end up being the least stupid option but your local school district will likely do the most stupid option.

What is the least stupid option?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

spacetoaster posted:

What is the least stupid option?

We'll see! I bet it requires a lot of federal spending though. Government-issue masks, procedures, air filtration, poo poo like that. Maybe a federal salary guarantee for temporary workers to increase the number of teachers to keep groups small.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Bape Culture posted:

The thing that I don’t get is why is it so bad to lose a single year or whatever anyway?
The school system in its current form was developed over a hundred years ago when your life expectancy would be about half what it is now. If everyone loses a year and it saved a ton of lives who gives a poo poo? Like why are the majority of governments so obsessed with this arbitrary setup?
I’ve been wondering this since kier starmer in the UK wouldn’t shut up about it even though he’s the leader of the opposition.

I’m sure there’s something I’m missing but why has it become such an obsession at least in the USA and UK.

E: I understand the burden of care but that is never given as the reason and with significant amounts of people wfh now it doesn’t seem as bad as it might do at first. Like maybe it should be legislated that for a while companies have to be more accommodating with work times and so on.

Yeah it's because parents have to stay home to care the suddenly aimless kids so THE ECONOMY, that which must be preserved at all costs, doesn't suffer.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
fauci just made it extremely clear that he had to be quiet or even lie because trump is a completely brain-broken mass murderer

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1352365073528971267

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1352366677237911555

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 21, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there a service that emails or texts you whenever a SignUpGenius slot opens up, like a CamelCamelCamel but for SignUpGenius?

My local hospital is doing COVID vaccine signups through SUG and I wanna know if there’s a way to get an alert when a spot frees up.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bape Culture posted:

More kids held back == more kids in the same grade == more kids crammed into every classroom for 12+ years?

American teachers already have a hard enough time teaching classes of 25 kids or more, and doubling that class size is gonna gently caress poo poo up big time.

Source: a bunch of people in my family are teachers.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Nice, complete netralization evasion by the South African strain. :skeltal:

Luckily the vaccine pipeline is pretty fast now.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

More kids held back == more kids in the same grade == more kids crammed into every classroom for 12+ years?

American teachers already have a hard enough time teaching classes of 25 kids or more, and doubling that class size is gonna gently caress poo poo up big time.

I feel like it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for people to start graduating at 19 instead of 18 anyway

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I. M. Gei posted:

If everyone is held back, then no one would be crammed in like that.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

How? Just skip a year for everyone.

A bunch of my family inc my sister is a teacher too and we’ve discussed it a bit. She feels like she’s in danger being forced back.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The real answer is that politicians don't give a poo poo about kids and nobody gives a poo poo about teachers. A bunch of cranky parents bitched on Facebook that they couldn't get any work done while their kids were at home too so gently caress em.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Zudgemud posted:

We will be partially through vaccinating our population before its time to start over with a new formulation. lmao

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Mithaldu posted:

fauci just made it extremely clear that he had to be quiet or even lie because trump is a completely brain-broken mass murderer

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1352365073528971267

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1352366677237911555
Sadly not the least bit surprising.

And one can imagine that Fauci might have been tempted to quit, if not for the fact that he’d have been replaced by someone truly awful.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Zugzwang posted:

And one can imagine that Fauci might have been tempted to quit, if not for the fact that he’d have been replaced by someone truly awful.

please don't drag lowtax into this

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

My question is what are we going to do about this school year?

My district has record failures. Record number of kids so far behind that they're only able to do work at a previous grade level (or lower).

We gonna hold everyone back? Super summer school? Pretend it's all fine?

Parents that can are pulling their kids out and homeschooling, or sending them to private schools.

My guess would be promote them, but the teachers would all have to teach for any gaps. So some degree of previous grade coursework and probably a lot of poo poo about the school failing.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Zudgemud posted:

:coronatoot: but screaming sounds come out

e:

poty posted:

Happy thread anniversary! It's been a hell of a year, but one thing is clear, I was correct in mocking the idea that this virus would be dangerous enough to warrant shutting down air travel!
ty4servis
This thread has been really useful.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 22, 2021

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Zugzwang posted:

drat, i hadn't quite thought through what WOULD be the consequence of him quitting, but that's a strong one

i'm glad for one, for the lives he may end up saving, but also that he finally gets vindication on the people who called him an idiot and a liar and basically demanded he fall on his own sword

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

drat, i hadn't quite thought through what WOULD be the consequence of him quitting, but that's a strong one

i'm glad for one, for the lives he may end up saving, but also that he finally gets vindication on the people who called him an idiot and a liar and basically demanded he fall on his own sword

what does this even mean? as far as i can tell, fauci's whole job is to go on tv and promote whatever the government is doing. he doesn't make policy, he doesn't jab people with vaccines, how does he "end up saving" lives? worshiping an empty suit smdh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zudgemud posted:

While this is not good, they used plasma and not vaccines so it's not a given that this will be a 1:1 issue with both, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Delta-Wye posted:

what does this even mean? as far as i can tell, fauci's whole job is to go on tv and promote whatever the government is doing. he doesn't make policy, he doesn't jab people with vaccines, how does he "end up saving" lives? worshiping an empty suit smdh

Trump wouldn't allow him to do anything other than that because it would hurt his ego to be contradicted and told what to do all the time. He was a dictator, not a leader.

Fauci's had his new boss for a day. A little soon to decide nothing's changed yet.