Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Rom is a great choice for reforming Ferengi Society.

He's not an idiot, he was a "bad ferengi" because lacked confidence and gave a poo poo about other people. I don't think you can get a better pick for reform than a Nagus that is capable of respecting women, a successful labor leader and someone who personally understands that Ferengi culture is squandering potential by only rewarding a specific set of skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Infidelicious posted:

Rom is a great choice for reforming Ferengi Society.

He's not an idiot, he was a "bad ferengi" because lacked confidence and gave a poo poo about other people. I don't think you can get a better pick for reform than a Nagus that is capable of respecting women, a successful labor leader and someone who personally understands that Ferengi culture is squandering potential by only rewarding a specific set of skills.
Also Nek established an elected body (that I'm sure was handpicked to be full of progressive Ferengi) before he stepped down that would help him too.

I got Trekonomics for Christmas, and it was pretty good, especially the chapter on the Ferengi (which are referred to as 'Feregnis' for some reason - I guess the editor may not have been a Trekkie). You can definitely tell it was written pre-Discovery, though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

HopperUK posted:

Tain must be one of the worse dads in Trek. Like 'I should have murdered your mother before you were born' is apparently something he said over and over again. He didn't even tell Garak all his remaining political secrets on his deathbed!

Though I remember in the one episode with the orphanage Garak says to Julian that children without parents have no social standing on Cardassia so I guess it's just like Ziyal-- a bastard child is nothing but a liability.

Makes it even funnier that Dukat hates Garak so much because it adds another layer of 'who does this little gently caress think he is' and I love Dukat when he's outraged.

If Garak is worthy of receiving those secrets then he'll already have discovered them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cat Hatter posted:

If Garak is worthy of receiving those secrets then he'll already have discovered them.

Oh sure, but it's *traditional*.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Sir Lemming posted:

Just watched DS9 "Tacking Into The Wind" and it's probably the best single hour of the finale arc. Highlights include:

• Kira and the dumb Cardassian guy get into a fight and she kinda almost starts killing him -- then afterward, Garak just appears out of the shadows smiling gleefully. I need a GIF of that, I'm surprised I haven't seen one.
  • It's a pretty brief scene, but Damar finds out his family was executed by the Dominion, then Kira twists the knife by pointing out that Cardassians including Damar are guilty of the same thing. Then she's like "yikes that was pretty cold" and Garak is like "it's okay, he needs to confront his government's past, and if he can't take it then he's a lost cause anyway". It's a quick but effective summation of so much you could say about all kinds of current issues.
  • WATCH: Ezri EVISCERATES the Klingon empire in 45 seconds!

tacking into the wind probably has the most well written progression of the plot but i still think extreme measures is my favourite episode just because its the perfect culmination of miles/bashir, the best and most perfect friendship in all of star trek

HopperUK posted:

Apparently Kira, Damar and Garak's actors really wanted a scene where they addressed the whole thing where Damar murdered Ziyal but there just wasn't room for it in the script. It's too bad.

its kind of bizarre because the dukat/winn scenes take up so much loving time and are honestly the worst part of that 8 episode run

Sir Lemming posted:

Still, the aforementioned scene and a few others like it go a long way towards at least making sure it doesn't feel totally ridiculous for them to be working with each other. They are not suddenly okay with him, but they do see that he can be changed, and without immediately accepting him they're trying to push him in the right direction.

Edit: posting it because it's so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjd9RgRUQDY

The way she doesn't want to say it, and yet has to, is everything. Flawless acting in a flawless scene.

its not just the acting its the direction too. garak presenting the information casually but damar being the one to say it, the focus on kira's building realization that she can crush him but probably shouldnt, the music getting really tense and damar approaching angrily as if a real confrontation is going to happen and then it defusing is all so insanely good. even the way they have the most confrontational character in the show quickly back down because she clearly crossed the line

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 21, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

HopperUK posted:

It was still naughty! That Damar, what a rascal. He's probably my third favourite DS9 character.

apparently they had a lot of his arc planned out to some extent as far back as "fall from grace" which is pretty impressive

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Verviticus posted:

its kind of bizarre because the dukat/winn scenes take up so much loving time and are honestly the worst part of that 8 episode run
I mean if you have Louise Fletcher on call you are going to do that no matter what

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah its a real loving shame they didnt have her doing what she does best, which is drop a backhanded fake compliment or barb with every single line, while smiling

the conversation between her and beriel/kira at the start of the second season is so good. literally everything she says screams "i am a piece of poo poo and i hate you" and shes literally never not happy about it. instead those scenes are just like 30 mins of very slow bad romance and a predictable, boring betrayal of her 'principles'. i think maybe to some extent its just two good characters that dont mesh bouncing off each other

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Verviticus posted:

yeah its a real loving shame they didnt have her doing what she does best, which is drop a backhanded fake compliment or barb with every single line, while smiling

the conversation between her and beriel/kira at the start of the second season is so good. literally everything she says screams "i am a piece of poo poo and i hate you" and shes literally never not happy about it. instead those scenes are just like 30 mins of very slow bad romance and a predictable, boring betrayal of her 'principles'. i think maybe to some extent its just two good characters that dont mesh bouncing off each other

Dukat/Winn seems like something even fan writers would be itching to write dialogue for like the Spock/Q thing but then they just make it as uninteresting as possible somehow.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

Dukat/Winn seems like something even fan writers would be itching to write dialogue for like the Spock/Q thing but then they just make it as uninteresting as possible somehow.

I think it falls a bit flat because Dukat is pretending to be someone else, and Winn isn't acting like Winn acts in any other part of the show... it really is like 2 completely different characters.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I think cardassians saying they value family and being shown to be absolute monsters to their children is pretty consistent with other groups that have righteously claimed to value family.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The one good think about the Winn/Dukat subplot is when Winn has her little crisis of faith and begs Kira to help her find redemption and she just rejects what Kira says because she's too selfish to let go of power.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

The one good think about the Winn/Dukat subplot is when Winn has her little crisis of faith and begs Kira to help her find redemption and she just rejects what Kira says because she's too selfish to let go of power.
It's such a good scene.

Kira immediately just says 'well I think you should quit for the good of Bajor' and Winn is not having any of that. She goes an immediate 180 from being lost to being confident that she will stand her ground.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

I've always liked to think that Kellam de Forest and DeForest Kelley embraced the humorous side of the coincidence, and made every obvious name joke they could think of. :3:

My head canon is he looks exactly like DeForest but with his hair parted the opposite way.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

My head canon is he looks exactly like DeForest but with his hair parted the opposite way.

Chasing each other for eternity across the Desilu backlots.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If Dukat and Winn played their confrontation the way they played the rest of the show, they'd turn into the marriage of Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa, so one of them had to try taking the moral high ground.

Both of their characters are kinda subordinated by the needs of the plot though, because the show "needed" to go all-in on Bajoran religion being 100% true and literal if it was gonna resolve Sisko's position as a prophet and give him a finale to be emotionally invested in because the writers felt he didn't have a enough of a personal stake in the Dominion war.

So much of the galactic landscape is resolved in the end of DS9 that you can kinda see how people weren't that eager to return to the end of the Trek timeline. Bajor's fine, the Prophets no longer have an interest in the material world, the Dominon was beaten back, Cardassian fascism has been ended, the Ferengi got a heel turn out of nowhere, the Klingons have competent, Federation-friendly leadership, and the only big established threat left in the quadrant is the Romulan empire that just blows up when the next movie rolls around.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SlothfulCobra posted:

If Dukat and Winn played their confrontation the way they played the rest of the show, they'd turn into the marriage of Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa, so one of them had to try taking the moral high ground.

Both of their characters are kinda subordinated by the needs of the plot though, because the show "needed" to go all-in on Bajoran religion being 100% true and literal if it was gonna resolve Sisko's position as a prophet and give him a finale to be emotionally invested in because the writers felt he didn't have a enough of a personal stake in the Dominion war.

So much of the galactic landscape is resolved in the end of DS9 that you can kinda see how people weren't that eager to return to the end of the Trek timeline. Bajor's fine, the Prophets no longer have an interest in the material world, the Dominon was beaten back, Cardassian fascism has been ended, the Ferengi got a heel turn out of nowhere, the Klingons have competent, Federation-friendly leadership, and the only big established threat left in the quadrant is the Romulan empire that just blows up when the next movie rolls around.

I think you mean face turn, which is where a bad guy becomes a good guy. A heel turn is when a good guy becomes a bad guy.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Cat Hatter posted:

I think you mean face turn, which is where a bad guy becomes a good guy. A heel turn is when a good guy becomes a bad guy.

maybe op is a libertarian

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the humbled and devastated Cardassia could be a huge story opportunity, and then you've got the Odo-fied Dominion still ostensibly in charge of a whole quadrant that's been brutally subjugated for who knows how long - what does that look like? Does the Dominion crumble into bits or do the Founders start trying to reverse all the damage they've done? Or both? And then there's the supposedly cuddly new Ferengi empire who may be suddenly perceived as actually trustworthy allies by the Federation - what does that do? Does it lead to an insidious pro-capitalism movement within the Federation? Beyond that, maybe a few of these remarkably sentient holograms running around start organizing for their rights after centuries of subjugation? There's so much that could be done.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've started a rewatch of TNG, after about 15 years of not watching. I skipped S1, watched a couple of choice episodes of S2 such as the first encounter with the Borg and Riker doing an internship on the Klingon ship and then started with S3 where I will stay until the end.

It's just as much fun as it was then. Season 3 still has some cheese episodes here and there but overall it's a fun watch.

I just saw S3E14, A Matter of Perspective. It's a bit weird, they're doing a courtroom/holodeck thing where witnesses each have their own version of the events, played out in the holodeck. But in the end it is never made clear which version was the correct one. It's problematic because one of the versions has Riker being an attempted rapist. According to counselor Troi, the accuser wasn't lying about the attempt but neither was Riker? So... is Riker a rapist or not? In the end, everyone seems to be just ok with the events and nothing is investigated further.

The intro was pretty funny though, it has Data critiquing Picard's sucky painting.

edit: vvv, that one I saw as well.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 21, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Go back for the S2 episode Measure of a Man, it's seriously one of the best episodes of the show

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Just watch the show you cowards.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Any episode where Riker has the beard you should watch

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

multijoe posted:

Any episode where Riker has the beard you should watch

Yup.
For as lovely a site TvTropes is/was, their whole growing the beard thing is accurate.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Boxturret posted:

A full rewatch or nothing

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I can do full rewatches of TOS, TNG, DS9, or ENT just fine, but Voyager has a lot of chunks where it just feels like my head is being dragged along concrete.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Voyager just puts me to sleep. I’ve been rewatching TOS as I puppysit each night and even the “bad” episodes are still interesting in some way.

Except Day of The Dove, that one is just visual Ambien.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Boxturret posted:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Except Day of The Dove, that one is just visual Ambien.
When I was a kid, I assumed "the Dove" was the name of the evil energy being that made everyone hate and fight each other. It messed up my understanding of doves being a symbol of peace for years afterwards.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

DS9 is getting wild. And so many people are horny for Kira. Worf owns/sucks in his unique way. O'Brien gets owned 24/7.

Show owns.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
O’Brien’s reaction to seeing himself in Visionary is pretty much “oh god what bullshit is about to happen to me now”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just saw the TNG where Data meets his mom and finds out she's a robot duplicate made by his dad. When I saw that episode as a kid, I didn't realize that when Data watches the recording left in a disc on her brain and talks to his dad, he mentions that she left him.

Doesn't that mean that he added the recording explaining that she is a secret robot after she dumped him? Like he turned her off while she was packing her bags and stuck that recording in there and then turned her back on? All through the ending I was debating whether or not the show is trying to present a plausible reading that Data's father is a weak scumbag who made an indefensible, selfish choice in recreating his dead wife because he didn't want to be alone, but I don't know that the reactions of the other characters support it, as they seem to think that was a fine thing to do.

Maybe I'm not giving the writers enough credit, but Spiner doesn't really play the guy either like he's thought about the ethical implications of what he did or like he's selfish and rationalizing a bad choice.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just saw the TNG where Data meets his mom and finds out she's a robot duplicate made by his dad. When I saw that episode as a kid, I didn't realize that when Data watches the recording left in a disc on her brain and talks to his dad, he mentions that she left him.

Doesn't that mean that he added the recording explaining that she is a secret robot after she dumped him? Like he turned her off while she was packing her bags and stuck that recording in there and then turned her back on? All through the ending I was debating whether or not the show is trying to present a plausible reading that Data's father is a weak scumbag who made an indefensible, selfish choice in recreating his dead wife because he didn't want to be alone, but I don't know that the reactions of the other characters support it, as they seem to think that was a fine thing to do.

Maybe I'm not giving the writers enough credit, but Spiner doesn't really play the guy either like he's thought about the ethical implications of what he did or like he's selfish and rationalizing a bad choice.

Data's creator is a dick yes.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cat Hatter posted:

I legit did not realize this was a wrestling term and thought "heel turn" was turning your back on your allies by... spinning on your heels, I guess? English has enough weird idioms I didn't think about it too hard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was watching the Voyager episode 'Non Sequitur' last night, and God drat do they reuse a LOT of the TOS film shots of San Francisco to save money. There is also a very quick insert of the TMP shuttle scene near the Golden Gate bridge that looks like dogshit with the way they put it in to the episode.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Zedd posted:

Yup.
For as lovely a site TvTropes is/was, their whole growing the beard thing is accurate.

"Growing the beard" isnt some original thought tvtropes had, it's from the Trek fandom itself.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Zedd posted:

And so many people are horny for Kira. Worf owns/sucks in his unique way. O'Brien gets owned 24/7.

the three axioms of ds9

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

Sisko's ultimate task being to tackle Dukat into a big pit is pretty freaking lame.
I hadn’t thought of it in those terms but Realising the Paradox vs Burning Dukat is quite a contrast. Sisko could (and should) have used a flamethrower to defeat the ancient evil.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Prophets/Pah Wraith battle stuff was always lame. Remember the episode where Jake and Kira get possessed by one of each to conduct 'the final battle' or whatever? It was awful.

IMO the only good Pah Wraith-related episodes are the one where a Pah Wraith possesses Keiko, and the one where Dukat starts his cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Prophets/Pah Wraith battle stuff was always lame. Remember the episode where Jake and Kira get possessed by one of each to conduct 'the final battle' or whatever? It was awful.

IMO the only good Pah Wraith-related episodes are the one where a Pah Wraith possesses Keiko, and the one where Dukat starts his cult.

Nah I love that episode because of Kai Winn trying desperately to get prophet Kira's attention and being ice cold ignored, then pressing the button to just get rid of em all.

Also the greatest generation have this episode a great mental image that when Ben took the artifact it triggered a series of traps and there are boulders rolling all over Bajor.

Also I love Kira with a wind machine blowing at her 24/7 and "I am Zuul" make up