Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

escapegoat posted:

Literally me except I was slightly too young to vote in 2005. My vote has never won either nationally or even in the constituency itself, and both referendums went the opposite way. I won't stop voting but it really just feels like a ritual slap in the face at this point.

2010, 2015, EU Referendum, 2017, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Szmitten posted:

I'm sorta surprised by the Glastonbury news because despite living nearby and its cancellation last year, case numbers had improved considerably and you had lots of outdoor events and mass marches by that time that I thought a limited festival would totally have been possible. I feel like outright cancellation is a pretty bold commitment considering they're still pretending fan-attended Wrestlemania and the Olympics are happening.

I guess it's too big a risk for them to get into the admin and logistics of setting everything up, especially as I reckon there's *at best* a 50/50 chance of even social-distanced public events being allowed by summer.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Szmitten posted:

I feel like outright cancellation is a pretty bold commitment considering they're still pretending fan-attended Wrestlemania is happening

I thought infants could still mix freely

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I guess it's too big a risk for them to get into the admin and logistics of setting everything up, especially as I reckon there's *at best* a 50/50 chance of even social-distanced public events being allowed by summer.

The 2021 eastercon (annual British science fiction convention) at Birmingham Metropole is still showing as going ahead.
Last year's was cancelled at very short notice as they had to wait for the government to close bars etc in order for their event insurance to kick in.
I'm surprised that they're still pretending this year's will go ahead.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

sebzilla posted:

I assumed it meant the 5 general elections a 33yo might have voted in as there have been more referendums than Brexit like the AV referendum. Also non nationally there was Indyref. Guess how those went compared to the wishes of this age group.

escapegoat fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 21, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Does anyone have that one shitpost with "I've read the Magnum Carte D'Or"?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

escapegoat posted:

I assumed it meant the 5 general elections a 33yo might have voted in as there have been more referendums than Brexit like the AV referendum. Also non nationally there was Indyref. Guess how those went compared to the wishes of this age group.

Though if you do the same analysis with Scotland-wide votes I'd imagine SNP support would be fairly high among that group over that time. I don't have the numbers to hand, mind.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I hope old Joe puts up a bust of Martin McGuinness in his ovular office, there :newlol:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

The person who compiled the statistics forgot 2005, deliberately or otherwise. If you're 33 now you were probably born in 1987, so better than a third of them were able to vote in that GE. On the other hand, they also forgot the AV referendum, so if you were born in 1988 - which might be where they get their age limit from, lazy subtraction - then you've potentially voted in six nationwide polls and lost them all.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

josh04 posted:

Does anyone have that one shitpost with "I've read the Magnum Carte D'Or"?

E: app hosed up the link. Search Guavanaut's posts about halfway through the December thread

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

I hope old Joe puts up a bust of Martin McGuinness in his ovular office, there :newlol:
"Joe Biden put up a statue of Sinn Féin and the statue looked at me."
- Michael Gove

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Maugrim posted:

E: app hosed up the link. Search Guavanaut's posts about halfway through the December thread

Got it, cheers.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I hope Joe Biden commissions a mural of Bobby Sands for the Oval Office wall.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This made me realise the closest I’ve come to ‘winning’ a general election was when I voted Lib Dem in 200510 :smithicide:

TACD fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 21, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

sebzilla posted:

I think I did... '05 and '08 as well.

05: Lib Dem, loss locally and nationally
08: Lib Dem, win over tory locally, loss nationally
10: Lib Dem... well, history will judge me
12: AV ref, loss
15: Labour, loss nationally, win locally
Eu ref: loss
17: Labour, loss nationally, win locally
19, labour, loss nationally, win locally

I was a dumb, dumb student.

But to be fair, there realy WASN'T much to choose between Blair and Clegg. Between Milliband and Clegg a little more, but I was very poorly informed then.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Between Milliband and Clegg would be 2015, 2010 was between Brown and Clegg immediately after Brown's cabinet had just made complete clowns of themselves.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Between Milliband and Clegg would be 2015, 2010 was between Brown and Clegg immediately after Brown's cabinet had just made complete clowns of themselves.

Which one was Cleggmania? That was '15?

Maybe I didn't do '05 then, thoguh I was just old enough.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

2010 was Cleggmania ("I agree with Nick")

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Voted Lib Dem in '10 but in fairness I lived in a Tory/Lib Dem marginal so thought I had won.

Yeah...

edit: oh yeah it was '10 time has no meaning any more

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 21, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cleggmania was 2010. Milifandom was 2015. Jesus anyone but Blair was 2005.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Then yeah, right the first time.

My loving lord it's been a long decade and a half. 10 might actually have been the Lib Dem win locally, now I think about it. That was by either two or three figures of votes. I was so pleased to have unseated the tory, but apparently he was an OK local MP and a mostly ignored backbencher and the lib dem was poo poo, but it was my parents' constituency in Hampshire, so i don't care.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I still remember where I was when Cleggmania ran wild on me

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Cleggmania was 2010. Milifandom was 2015. Jesus anyone but Blair was 2005.

This post made me look up Michael Howard's wiki to see what he's been up to and this is his official portrait

looks like he discovered day drinking imo

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Contrapoints once had a video called "what is gender" which she has now made private.

Does anyone know of another video like it? I was going to share it with friend but haven't got a clue where to find a video like it

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

notaspy posted:

Contrapoints once had a video called "what is gender" which she has now made private.

Does anyone know of another video like it? I was going to share it with friend but haven't got a clue where to find a video like it

IIRC this one is a pretty good primer on 'what the gently caress, gender' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N35D1jko6wA from a relatively little known enby youtuber.

Philosophytube also has a couple of good ones, particularly 'transphobia in the UK' iirc.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
This is fun.

2001: Labour. Won locally and nationally. This was before Labour got all crazy authoritarian under the War on Terror.
2005: SNP. Lost locally and obviously nationally. I don't really remember much here but Labour by now was pretty terrible and I wanted out.
2010: LibDem. Lost locally but kind of won nationally? Not what I wanted, but eh. Cleggmania had a lot of people fooled.
2012: AV ref, loss. He needs a baby not an alternative voting system!
2014: Independence ref, loss. Better Together indeed.
2015: SNP. Won locally and I'll say won nationally as in just in Scotland.
2016: EU ref, loss. Sorry did I say Better Together earlier? Lol.
2017: SNP. Lost locally and obviously nationally. Corbyn hadn't been in long enough to get me excited with memories of the Edstone still fresh in mind and Labour have no chance in my constituency.
2019: Labour. Lost locally and nationally. I knew Labour didn't have a chance but I thought I'd at least move the needle. It did not move.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

I think we all did last year.

thespaceinvader posted:

'transphobia in the UK'
Made me think about Julie Burchill's time with NME and now I wish I hadn't.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

This post made me look up Michael Howard's wiki to see what he's been up to and this is his official portrait

2005 Labour GE campaign anti-semitic posters scandal:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/feb/11/advertising.politics

quote:

Stephen Brook, advertising correspondent
Fri 11 Feb 2005 11.04 GMT

Alastair Campbell told the Jewish community today his controversial election posters were not in "any way shape or form" intended to be anti-Semitic.

The former government spin doctor - now working for the Labour party on 2005's election campaign - attempted to smooth over the controversy that erupted over two election posters, one of which depicted opposition leader Michael Howard and shadow chancellor Oliver Letwin, who are both Jewish, as flying pigs.

Protests resulted in the withdrawal of the poster and another depicting Howard with a swinging watch, interpreted to be Jewish characters Fagin from Oliver Twist or Shylock from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.

etc

For the first time since I became old enough to vote in 1978, I did not vote Labour in the 2005 election. I even wrote to my fantastic MP at the time, Neil Gerrard (left and of the Michael Foot persuasion - donkey jackets et al) and explained that I could not because Blair would take a win as an endorsement. (2005 was the first election after the Iraq War). I can't remember which way I voted in the end, but definitely NOT tory. Labour still won Walthamstow but with a somewhat reduced majority IIRC.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 21, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile in other news:

Apparently not only has Biden chucked out the bust of Churchill, he's installed one of Mexican American farm labor leader Cesar Chavez.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/21/us/cesar-chavez-bust-oval-office-trnd/index.html

Farage is frothing apparently.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Meanwhile in other news:

Apparently not only has Biden chucked out the bust of Churchill, he's installed one of Mexican American farm labor leader Cesar Chavez.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/21/us/cesar-chavez-bust-oval-office-trnd/index.html

Farage is frothing apparently.

Biden... good?!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Yeah the picture of him with the watch actually struck me even at the time as barely concealed anti-semitism, same with Ed and the flap about the bacon sandwich. There's no way campbell didn't know exactly what he was loving doing. It made the clutching at straws to try to smear Corbyn as an anti-semite all the more loving tiresome

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I just noticed he has the same glasses as me :/

Maybe I should get a big pair of NHS specs like he used to wear

Rose West loving destroyed that look for everyone :mad:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Voted Lib Dem in '10 but in fairness I lived in a Tory/Lib Dem marginal so thought I had won.

Yeah...

edit: oh yeah it was '10 time has no meaning any more

Klopp Out

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Terrible news...

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Even more terrible
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1352275612942168064?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ok i have the food post to end all food posts because of what i just saw in a twitch chat

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Buttered Weetabix is how I always had them as a child. I always considered them thick crumbly crackers.

Never understood why you'd have them with milk, thats what Shredded Wheats are designed for.

Never was fancy enough to put marmite on though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr Phillby posted:

Buttered Weetabix is how I always had them as a child. I always considered them thick crumbly crackers.

Never understood why you'd have them with milk, thats what Shredded Wheats are designed for.

Never was fancy enough to put marmite on though.

I knew this thread was a cesspit of Marxist depravity but I had no idea it would sink to these depths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

thespaceinvader posted:

I think I did... '05 and '08 as well.

05: Lib Dem, loss locally and nationally
08: Lib Dem, win over tory locally, loss nationally
10: Lib Dem... well, history will judge me
12: AV ref, loss
15: Labour, loss nationally, win locally
Eu ref: loss
17: Labour, loss nationally, win locally
19, labour, loss nationally, win locally

I was a dumb, dumb student.

But to be fair, there realy WASN'T much to choose between Blair and Clegg. Between Milliband and Clegg a little more, but I was very poorly informed then.
What was 2008?

My voting constituencies have always been safe Tory seats.

2005 Lib Dem
2010 Lib Dem
2015 Labour
2016 Remain
2019 I messed up my proxy vote so didn't vote (but would have voted Labour)