Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lilljonas posted:

Well that would depend a huge lot on their situation. Are they emigrating to Sweden from a EU country and mostly looking into how to get along with the culture? Are they in a relationship (which helps a ton with visa etc)? Exchange students planning to stay? Or are they a non-EU citizen who just decided that they want to move to Sweden?

My wife is a non-EU citizen so I have seen first hand about that situation. Applying for visa, meetings with Migrationsverket, going through the labyrinth of SFI and Arbetsförmedlingen when trying to get established etc.

It's a non-eu citizen that is considering moving to sweden, I think they've bought in to the hype of this being a bit of a utopia, and I want to make sure they're making a well-informed decision before coming here

Gedt posted:

Who the gently caress trusts Denmark now? And for what?

This is just the loving dumbest

Never trust a dane, i suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SplitSoul posted:

10.8% of Danes would vote for a party that explicitly supports ethnic cleansing and allows nazis in its ranks.

That's a conservative estimate; you can't convince me that all of the people who voted for Støjberg or Frederiksen's parties would refuse to vote for nazis and ethnic cleansing on principle.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's a conservative estimate; you can't convince me that all of the people who voted for Støjberg or Frederiksen's parties would refuse to vote for nazis and ethnic cleansing on principle.
Would vote because of, not despite, seems more likely.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

McCloud posted:

It's a non-eu citizen that is considering moving to sweden, I think they've bought in to the hype of this being a bit of a utopia, and I want to make sure they're making a well-informed decision before coming here

If they’re American, feel free to PM me.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh. What is even the point of stealing those? I'm pretty sure we aren't running short, considering the amount of doses we have.

We are not lackning the needed syringes now, but we will eat through our current stock pretty fast when the next batch of vaccine doses are coming in. This exact scenario is also happening in all other countries that can't produce their own supply, nicely mimicing the desperate scramble for PPE from last spring.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

At least the actual ethnic cleansing party didn't get enough votes for Folketinget. I don't think Nye Borgerlige are explicitly in favour, but I might just have missed it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Gedt posted:

Who the gently caress trusts Denmark now? And for what?

This is just the loving dumbest

Apparently some Swedish businesses regularly import medical supplies via Denmark (because they're cheaper in Denmark), then quietly export them to Sweden.

Also apparently the Danish government was reviewing supplies of medical consumables and found they had a lot less than they expected, partly due to people exporting them to other countries.

So Swedes trying to dodge high Swedish prices results in Denmark blocking re-exportation of exactly these medical supplies, to Sweden.

:capitalism:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well sure, like a fourth of the population favours expelling all Muslims, but I'm talking about the kind of nazis that'd proudly display a swastika, not simply far-right "ethno-nationalists" or whatever term is in vogue now. At this rate they'll be the largest in their bloc before next year.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

McCloud posted:

I'm born in Sweden, lived in the US 15 years, moved back here 2010 with American wife. Feel free to PM me if I can help.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Well Denmark, I owe you an apology.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/vA33yV/dansken-erkanner-bluff-om-sprutorna-vi-lagger-oss-platt

That said, these particular Danes pulled a dick move.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Easier to lie and blame the government rather than admit you hosed up lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

:smuggo:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's a chance kindergartens and schools are going to be shut down again:ohdear:

fnox
May 19, 2013

https://www.expressen.se/kvallsposten/kommun-forbjuder-munskydd-i-skolan/

What the gently caress is wrong with Sweden. Banning facemasks in school? What the gently caress for?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

fnox posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with Sweden. Banning facemasks in school? What the gently caress for?
Someone should stop the export of syringes and other medical supplies to Sweden until it has proven that it's gonna take the pandemic seriously. We can't keep throwing good resources after bad.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Someone should stop the export of syringes and other medical supplies to Sweden until it has proven that it's gonna take the pandemic seriously. We can't keep throwing good resources after bad.

Hey buddy gently caress you

I haven’t seen my family in over a loving year, adhere to the WHO guidelines including face masks as best as I can and gently caress, there are many here that are going above and beyond to try and hinder the spread of this, despite the government seemingly throwing gas on a fire. There are some stuck here loving trying.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I don't understand. What's really happening here? Why is Sweden completely deluded in its pandemic strategy? It's obviously not worked thus far, why are they doubling down on bad ideas?

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I mean we could compare ourselves with denmark and norway and by that measure its catastrophic.

So its easier to compare ourselves with the rest of Europe and then things are just decidedly average here on par with the Netherlands or Austria or France, worse than Germany, better than Switzerland and Belgium and UK. And so there is likely no rush from those in charge to change course, now of all times.

e: refering to these numbers https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 23, 2021

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

fnox posted:

This is one municipality out of +250 and everyone is calling them idiots and their banning of masks will likely go to court because it is actually illegal as implemented. I think it is just a local idiot politician.

Ursula Le Goon
Jan 3, 2013

Threadkiller Dog posted:

I mean we could compare ourselves with denmark and norway and by that measure its catastrophic.

So its easier to compare ourselves with the rest of Europe and then things are just decidedly average here on par with the Netherlands or Austria or France, worse than Germany, better than Switzerland and Belgium and UK. And so there is likely no rush from those in charge to change course, now of all times.

e: refering to these numbers https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938

Of course, this is nowhere near a good reason to keep up these horribly failed tactics, but at least now we know *why* the Swedish government are clinging to them. "I know a bunch of people are dying, but look at these other countries failing just as hard as we do":allears:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sankta Lucia posted:

Of course, this is nowhere near a good reason to keep up these horribly failed tactics, but at least now we know *why* the Swedish government are clinging to them. "I know a bunch of people are dying, but look at these other countries failing just as hard as we do":allears:

And you are lynching negroes as public health policy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

teen witch posted:

I haven’t seen my family in over a loving year, adhere to the WHO guidelines including face masks as best as I can and gently caress, there are many here that are going above and beyond to try and hinder the spread of this, despite the government seemingly throwing gas on a fire. There are some stuck here loving trying.
I empathize; I feel the exact same way about Danes that you do about Swedes, since I've been in isolation since March. :(

Zudgemud posted:

This is one municipality out of +250 and everyone is calling them idiots and their banning of masks will likely go to court because it is actually illegal as implemented. I think it is just a local idiot politician.
Of course it's just one idiot, but it's marginally better to laugh at idiot politicians than it is to cry about everything - because from where I'm sitting, there doesn't appear to be much choice outside of those two options.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Of course it's just one idiot, but it's marginally better to laugh at idiot politicians than it is to cry about everything - because from where I'm sitting, there doesn't appear to be much choice outside of those two options.

Synthesis:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Synthesis:

:hmmyes:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.dn.se/debatt/det-ar-inte-strategin-som-forklarar-svenska-dodstalen/

quote:

Infektionsprofessorn Anders Björkman: Beläggen är svaga för att den svenska covidbekämpningen varit misslyckad.

Min analys av 21 europeiska länder visar att ländernas skillnad i smittspridningens initiala ökningstakt (det så kallade R0-talet) varit avgörande för epidemiutvecklingen. Det verkar vara huvudanledningen till att Sverige och Norge drabbats olika av covid.

Att svensk bekämpning av covid-19 är och har varit misslyckad har blivit ett mantra både inom och utom landet. Den svenska strategin är numer inte bara den internationellt mest kända utan framför allt den mest ökända. Huvudargumenten från kritikerna är att Sverige kom i gång för sent med sina restriktioner och att dessa var för klena samt att övriga nordiska länder har mycket lägre antal avlidna i covid, särskilt Norge med 10 gånger lägre dödlighet relaterat till folkmängd.

Men vad säger fakta? Finns det belägg för slutsatsen? Är 10.000 dödsfall kopplade till covid en svensk skandal?

Jag har analyserat pandemin och restriktionerna i 21 väst- och centraleuropeiska länder baserat på data från Worldometer och Our world in data. En del av dessa data kommer från en grupp forskare på Oxford university i England som kartlagt, analyserat och värderat en rad olika restriktioner och summerat dessa till löpande indexvärden där 100 procent representerar total nedstängning (lockdown) och 0 procent ingen insats alls.

I Europa har fram till i dag 17 länder rapporterat högre antal döda per folkmängd än Sverige, medan 27 länder rapporterar lägre (en del av dessa, som Nederländerna, underrapporterar dock). I USA rapporterar 31 av 50 stater högre dödlighet än Sverige.

Mina samlade analyser av europeiska länder visar att graden av nedstängning inte alls på något tydligt sätt påverkat mängden dödsfall. Däremot bidrog tidigt införande av restriktioner (minst 25 procent enligt indextalet ovan) under första vågen tydligt till lägre dödlighet.

Antal tester (med eventuell smittspårning) under första vågen verkar inte ha påverkat utan var snarare en följd av smittspridningen.

Och munskydd verkar inte ha minskat andra vågen. I USA som har haft munskydd som huvudtema har flera stater haft de globalt sett värsta epidemierna.

Men den absolut tydligaste korrelationen till höga dödstal hade smittspridningens ökningstakt i våras redan innan restriktionerna infördes (”R0-talet”). Ökningstakten av dödstalen från det att den lokala smittspridningen satte fart tidigt i mars kunde således till stor del förutse den totala dödligheten, som tycks vara huvudsakligen oberoende av graden av nedstängning som följde.

Den tidiga ökningstakten (R0-talet) var för Sverige 4,7. Det kan jämföras med 2,2 för Norge och 7,2 för Belgien (högst i Europa). R0-talet för covid-19 ligger således inte rutinmässigt kring 2,5–3 som ofta hävdas utan är mycket varierande. Det känns naturligt att det varierar beroende på sociokulturellt varierande omgivningar. Intressant nog drabbades länder med höga R0-tal också hårt vid andra vågen, trots förmodat högre immunitetslägen. Belgien och England är typexempel på detta.

Vad hände då i Sverige respektive Norge? Länderna drabbades samtidigt av inhemsk smittspridning på allvar omkring 1 mars med minst ett rapporterat dödsfall per miljon invånare den 18 mars. Enligt ovan ökade dödligheten exponentiellt ungefär fyrfaldigt varje vecka i detta tidiga skede i Sverige. Det blev därmed en svårare uppgift att trycka ned R-värdet under 1 i Sverige än i Norge. Och dessutom nådde smittspridningen högre tal mycket snabbare.

Restriktionerna infördes dock ganska snabbt med ett indexvärde över 25 procent den 12 mars i båda länderna. Därefter införde Norge mer påtagliga restriktioner till ett index på 80 procent redan 24 mars medan Sveriges högsta nivå (65 procent – bland de lägsta i Europa) uppnåddes först 5 april.

Högsta antalet nysmittade verkar ha skett i Norge 29 mars och i Sverige 9 april. Således vände smittsamheten nedåt (R-talet hamnade under 1) relativt snabbt och redan innan den högsta restriktionsnivån hunnit påverka smittspridningen. Under april-maj sjönk därefter dödligheten successivt tack vare R-värden stadigt under 1, men för Sverige långsammast i Europa. Detta innebar tyvärr en relativt högre dödlighet under denna period, dock ej avgörande för den totala bilden av första vågen.

Inför andra vågen hade Sverige mer kvarvarande restriktioner (index 56 procent) jämfört med Norge (32 procent). Andra vågen drabbade ungefär samtidigt omkring 15 oktober. Norge ökade då snabbt sina restriktioner till 53 procent medan Sverige utökade sina först efter 15 november till 71 procent och Norge på nyåret till 65 procent.

Trots att Sverige hade högre grad av nedstängning blev epidemin värre hos oss. Återigen är min bedömning att anledningen är vårt högre R0-värde, det vill säga våra bättre förutsättningar för covidvirusets spridning. Man kunde ha förväntat sig att vår högre befolkningsimmunitet nu skulle ha varit mer behjälplig men det räckte inte och covid hittade också nya områden som Skåne.

Vilka slutsatser kan dras?

● Basala väsentliga insatser tidigt i epidemin är viktiga – detta skedde snabbt och samtidigt i Sverige och Norge.

● Extrem nedstängning är inte av­görande – väl genomförda insatser som att hålla avstånd, minimera möten inom­hus etcetera verkar vara väsentliga medan andra ingående i ”lockdown” inte är lika viktiga

● Basala smittspridningens initiala ökningstakt (R0-talet) har varit höggradigt avgörande för epidemiutvecklingen – och skillnaderna länderna emellan i detta tal verkar vara huvudanledningen till att Sverige och Norge drabbats olika av covid.

Varför är då R0-värdena så olika? Det hävdas ju att Sverige och Norge är mycket lika avseende befolknings­täthet, sociokulturell miljö med mera. Men stämmer det? En stor del av smittspridningen anses ske på arbetsplatser, vid möten och måltider inomhus samt i hemmen.

Jag känner inte till några sociologiska jämförande studier men man kan kanske spekulera lite: I Norge har man oftast 20–30 minuters enskild lunchrast och arbetsdagen avslutas tidigare efter färre fikaraster. I Norge har man 30 procent fler fritidsstugor (”hytten”) där man kanske hellre tillbringar helgerna än på middagar eller nöjen. Små utspridda samhällen lär vara vanligare i Norge medan trångboddhet och flera generationers samboende kan vara vanligare i Sverige.

Visst har felbedömningar och misstag förekommit i Sverige. Några exempel jag reagerade för under första vågen: man tillät en publik på 30.000 under en till två dagar vid Mellon, inomhusmöten kunde ha maximerats till 10 i stället för 50 personer, testningen blev något senfärdig, man var alltför nöjd med utvecklingen under maj månad, smittskyddet inom äldreomsorgen hade uppenbara brister och munskydd kunde införts i större utsträckning inom vården.

Men mycket tyder på att Norges stängda skolor, veckovisa reseregler med mera inte har haft någon avgörande effekt.

När det gäller andra vågen borde intensifierade insatser ha startat tidigare när R-värdet ökade som mest (ungefär 15 oktober) i stället för när absoluta antalet smittade ökade som mest (ungefär 15 november). Inför en första vintersäsong och med ett högt R0-värde som bakgrund borde vi insett faran tidigare.

Min slutsats är att den svenska modellen inte är ett misslyckande eller en nationell katastrof. Misslyckad är i stället den okritiskt flockmässiga kritiken mot särskilt Folkhälsomyndigheten. Den är dessutom obegriplig. Detta flocktyckande har medfört ”flock­immunitet” mot fakta. Om i stället alla dessa enahanda debattartiklar och tidningsledare handlat om fakta och konstruktiva diskussioner hade vi nog haft färre avlidna i covid i dag, med till exempel snabbare och mer välriktade insatser mot andra vågen.

Anders Björkman, infektionsläkare, professor i infektionsmedicin, Karolinska institutet

tl;dr: quite unsurprisingly most heavy lockdown stuff is mostly ineffective and there is no real correlation that says heavy restrictions => less spread. masks don't work nearly as well as people claim they do either and cannot be used as a substitute for isolation/social distancing (that's not an argument against using them, just an argument against using them to do things you wouldn't do without a mask). I'd assume full contact tracing of every single case could be effective but very few countries are even capable of doing that. basically, getting unlucky with very early spread reduces the effectiveness of all subsequent restrictions.

also, sweden just closed the border for entries from norway. no, not the other way around.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 23, 2021

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
What is he talking about when it comes to Norwegian lunchbreaks? Why would a Norwegian be more likely to eat alone than a Swede?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

quote:

Och munskydd verkar inte ha minskat andra vågen. I USA som har haft munskydd som huvudtema har flera stater haft de globalt sett värsta epidemierna.

lol I invite him to come over here and see how much of a huvudtema masks are in the US

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

What is he talking about when it comes to Norwegian lunchbreaks? Why would a Norwegian be more likely to eat alone than a Swede?

Like he said, different norms around what constitutes a normal lunch and breaks.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

Swedes are like rats, crawling over each other for scraps at the table. Also, I understood it as norwegian lunch breaks being more at one's convenience while in Sweden it is more set times for everyone? Don't know how true that is though, in my own experience it's mostly just manufacturing and construction where common lunch breaks are really fixed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

david_a posted:

lol I invite him to come over here and see how much of a huvudtema masks are in the US
Well, it is a big theme - for the culture war! But yeah, that's either massively dishonest or just incredibly shoddy work, either one of course putting everything else the dude says into question.

I'm also wondering about the contention that Sweden's R0 was more than twice that of Norway's, and that testing had no effect. The first three weeks after either country hit 30 cases/day, the two were basically parallel in terms of the spread of the disease. THEN Norway ramped up testing, and positive rates fell alongside cases, presumably because catching infected allowed them to stop further spread. You see the same pattern in Denmark and Finland. I guess we were all just hiding in our secluded mountain cabins while the Swedes had their traditional work snogging sessions.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the Swedes had their traditional work snogging sessions.
Ah yes, Swedes are well-known for the romantic nature like French and Russian people.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Ah yes, Swedes are well-known for the romantic nature like French and Russian people.

Well, there sure is a lot more of them than us!

fnox
May 19, 2013

This guy can gently caress off. Folkhälsomyndigheten deserves any and all the poo poo they've been getting because they've been wrong, and they've been doubling down on wrong measures that are empirically wrong, and are clearly there for economic reasons. They said earlier children can't spread the virus, they said that you're no longer infectious after 2 days of not showing symptoms, they said that at the beginning of the pandemic, where the R0 is supposed to come from.

Besides, this poo poo with the masks, they obviously know masks work otherwise they wouldn't recommend it for people travelling using public transport on rush hours. The logic there being, you can't avoid not keeping distance, and you also don't have good enough air circulation. Why would that not apply to, say, going to the mall, or the store, or a public building? How about the workplace? What could possibly be different then?

If they didn't go through these absurds logical leaps just to try and be different, we'd be in far better shape, maybe closer to our neighbors. But the reason why we're not doing how Norway or Denmark are doing, is because we're not loving following the same procedures.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I want to get off Sweden's Wild Ride. :cripes:

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Another "men in black" demonstration in copenhagen. I don't know what's worse; their idiotic name or their moronic purpose. Jfc.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Cynic Jester posted:

Don’t norbaggar just eat a sandwich for lunch? I guess that means more people eat alone and/or at their desks. No heating requirements means less crowding around microwaves and stuff, and less restaurant visits

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Another "men in black" demonstration in copenhagen. I don't know what's worse; their idiotic name or their moronic purpose. Jfc.

I, uh, do hope that's a doll.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

zokie posted:

Don’t norbaggar just eat a sandwich for lunch? I guess that means more people eat alone and/or at their desks. No heating requirements means less crowding around microwaves and stuff, and less restaurant visits

The vast majority of places I've worked require you to eat your lunch in the breakroom. With other people.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Revelation 2-13 posted:

There seems to be a whole lot of intersectionality between people with a deep-rooted mistrust of the government because politicians make mistakes, people who're heavily into conspiracy theories, people who believe in alternative medicine, and people who deny that COVID-19 exists and/or is dangerous.

I wonder how that'll work, once they realize that their beliefs are mutually exclusive, and then that everyone elses beliefs are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

https://www.dn.se/debatt/det-ar-inte-strategin-som-forklarar-svenska-dodstalen/

tl;dr: quite unsurprisingly most heavy lockdown stuff is mostly ineffective and there is no real correlation that says heavy restrictions => less spread. masks don't work nearly as well as people claim they do either and cannot be used as a substitute for isolation/social distancing (that's not an argument against using them, just an argument against using them to do things you wouldn't do without a mask). I'd assume full contact tracing of every single case could be effective but very few countries are even capable of doing that. basically, getting unlucky with very early spread reduces the effectiveness of all subsequent restrictions.

also, sweden just closed the border for entries from norway. no, not the other way around.

Eh, we all saw that there were clear differences in national policy for the crisis response last spring.
By his argumentation it was the early response that set the difference in number of deaths and by that logic Sweden clearly stood out and as were later as shown in Uppdrag Granskning. FHM hosed up in the start and those mistakes made it worse in the autumn and winter despite FHM thinking it wouldn’t or that high early deaths would make the autumn better.
Although I agree that heavy lockdown especially of schools was not particularly effective.

For me, the number of deaths is the clearest measurement of failure ( in the same way of number of deaths is a measure of violence in society) and by that measure Sweden did horribly worse than other Scandinavian countries which are not significantly socially different from each other.
10x the deaths not being a failure is some ghoulish poo poo.

One could also argue that his investigation is an abject failure since it fails to dissect why Sweden’s neighbours did significantly better. He is more or less saying it was random chance that Sweden got hit worse.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 24, 2021