Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

repiv posted:

It's been a while since I played H2 but the performance feels about the same to me

There's a new option for variable rate shading that might let you squeeze out a bit more performance, I haven't experimented with it yet

Yeah performance feels about the same. Dubai seemed to be running more efficient (generally capping at 144fps) but I loaded up Paris to compare and once in the heavy crowds things dropped to the more 90-100 fps I'm used to from H2.

I have found a couple places where the reflection cubemaps are not only super low res but the something about the angle on them or the shader applying them seems wrong so they look super fake. But no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

TheAgent posted:

I was able to play the first hitman at an E3 demo booth in 1999 and played the hotel level and was doing a whole bunch of weird poo poo and the dev was all "wellll we are gonna have to change some stuff if this is how people like you play this game" and it was p funny

jesus christ that was also the E3 that I made stupidly fawning comments to Bruce Campbell as I got his autograph and think I creeped him out a bit

I was at this E3 as well. Played GTA 2 and was like "jesus this is gonna be a monster hit". That was an incredible E3 to attend, happy memories.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Performance on the xbox one s was at least as good, maybe even better for the most part than H2, outside of some stutters during cinematics, and once during one of the sweeping camera pans towards the sun in Dubai

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

ymgve posted:

I was afraid Mendoza would just be A Vintage Year: HD edition.

I was wrong.

Yes this was a surprise, I assumed A Vintage Year 2 when I heard vineyard also. Mendoza was easily one of the stand-out maps for me, it felt busy and detailed despite its large amount of space to fill in all the ways that Dubai and Dartmoor did not.

text editor fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 21, 2021

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
If I have Hitman 1 on Steam (barely played, no DLC or expansions owned) and now I want to get Hitman 3 on Epic (the only place available?), what all will I need to get to get the most out of it?

Just base Hitman 3 for now and then add the access passes? Do I need to own Hitman 1 and 2 on Epic in order to use them? Why is this so confusing?!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chaitai posted:

If I have Hitman 1 on Steam (barely played, no DLC or expansions owned) and now I want to get Hitman 3 on Epic (the only place available?), what all will I need to get to get the most out of it?

Just base Hitman 3 for now and then add the access passes? Do I need to own Hitman 1 and 2 on Epic in order to use them? Why is this so confusing?!

- purchase Hitman 3 now, it will give you Hitman 1 access pass for free
- you will need to purchase the Hitman 2 access pass as you don't already own it
- you will want to import your progress from Hitman 1 on steam via their IO account process

tl;dr you need to own Hitman 3 + the various access passes to play 1-3 on epic in the Hitman 3 engine

e: If you own Hitman 2 on steam they will eventually get that unlocked for you, but it isn't currently available because IO is Not Having A Good Time Launching This

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

- purchase Hitman 3 now, it will give you Hitman 1 access pass for free
- you will need to purchase the Hitman 2 access pass as you don't already own it
- you will want to import your progress from Hitman 1 on steam via their IO account process

tl;dr you need to own Hitman 3 + the various access passes to play 1-3 on epic in the Hitman 3 engine

Much simpler! Thank you!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Chaitai posted:

Much simpler! Thank you!

As I'm looking at the epic store

HITMAN 3 Access Pass: HITMAN 2 Expansion = base Hitman 2 game, does NOT contain the New York or Haven maps, costs 8$
HITMAN 3 Access Pass: HITMAN 2 Standard = base Hitman 2 game, does NOT contain the New York or Haven maps, costs 12$
HITMAN 3 Access Pass: HITMAN 2 Gold = contains NY and Haven Maps and some other goodies, costs 20$

If you have the money I would pick up the gold edition as both NY and Haven contain plot stuff, but I also have to be fair and say that a whole extra 8$ for just two maps isn't really worth it, especially as the other content is kind of lackluster. I will throw infinite money at IO but you know your budget better than I do.

e: wait poo poo. Fixed numbers and names. I see the "expansion pass" is the NY/Haven maps, I see.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

They can't do that, progression can only be transferred from Hitman 2 (which includes progress on the Hitman 1 levels played inside Hitman 2)

Progress on the original standalone Hitman 1 can't be transferred to either sequel

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

repiv posted:

They can't do that, progression can only be transferred from Hitman 2 (which includes progress on the Hitman 1 levels played inside Hitman 2)

Progress on the original standalone Hitman 1 can't be transferred to either sequel

:psyduck:

That is bizarre but OK. IO you are a trashfire and I love you.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

No great loss for them if they barely touched Hitman 1 but yeah it was annoying having to do everything again

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

justcola posted:

Spent about 40 minutes running around the Dartmoor map trying to find a screwdriver for this socket I wanted to expose the wires for. Turns out it was right next to it

Good way to explore the map too. I think I'll just play 1 level each day to make the most of it, then go back and try and do an SASO run from H1.

I noticed there's no Escalations for the new maps, but maybe I might use the community ones for once. My only hope for any future content would be day/night versions for each map and able to insert items and costumes into any map if there's no escalations. Just let me play Whittleton Creek at night with the bank robber outfit.

there are escalations but some are deluxe only?? which is very annoying, I dont think its too much to to expect at least one escalation per map that doesnt require a deluxe edition purchase

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

AdmiralViscen posted:

This guide still says that console disc owners need to download the H2 access pass via the H2 store, but there is no access pass there.

Thankfully I had the 2 gold edition, so I was able to claim the gold DLC (digital, obviously) via the H3 store, and that unlocked the rest of H2 for me, but that can’t be intended behavior.

If I only had the standard disc edition of 2, I guess I’d be hosed. Their transfer site also only carried over mission progress for 3 of my 8 missions, but I haven’t loaded the game yet to see if it actually did everything. Such an irritating launch.

Yeah, the guide is really weird. I owned the gold edition of 2 on disc and I never saw the ability to get the access pack in the in-game store, but once I searched for “hitman” on PSN the Gold Edition Access Pack was free on the PlayStation Store.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSHzm8iXbd8

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

After spending a few hours with Hitman 3. It's definitely more Hitman and all that makes it good. But it also feels like IOI used some elements as proof of concept for the James Bond game. It also feels like they wanted to get this out the door and switch focus to Bond. I kind of suck at Hitman, so I like to use the guided story kills to get familiar with the maps before tackling the unguided challenges. Only 3 story kills per mission is a bit of a bummer.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

bradzilla posted:

After spending a few hours with Hitman 3. It's definitely more Hitman and all that makes it good. But it also feels like IOI used some elements as proof of concept for the James Bond game. It also feels like they wanted to get this out the door and switch focus to Bond. I kind of suck at Hitman, so I like to use the guided story kills to get familiar with the maps before tackling the unguided challenges. Only 3 story kills per mission is a bit of a bummer.

i think thats about how it is for the most part in the other ones, there were always mission stories that did not guarantee a kill opportunity. also theres still "hidden" special kills and such

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I found it weird at first to have fewer guided kills but I think it's a reasonable compromise. Frankly by the end of hitman 2 it started to feel very cookie cutter or formulaic for every target to have 5 silly costumes that all effectively do the same thing, make them stand in a room alone and send the guards away. In a way you're not really missing that much by going down to 1 or 2- especially when the 1 or 2 are usually a little higher effort this time. If the scope of the game had to go down a bit to deal with IO being a weird semi-indie now it was probably a reasonable place to make the cut.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I found it weird at first to have fewer guided kills but I think it's a reasonable compromise. Frankly by the end of hitman 2 it started to feel very cookie cutter or formulaic for every target to have 5 silly costumes that all effectively do the same thing, make them stand in a room alone and send the guards away. In a way you're not really missing that much by going down to 1 or 2- especially when the 1 or 2 are usually a little higher effort this time. If the scope of the game had to go down a bit to deal with IO being a weird semi-indie now it was probably a reasonable place to make the cut.

But the levels have just as many goofy kills with you putting on a specific costume as 2 did. They're just not guided. Its more of an escalation in difficulty than a change in content.

Nice

I noticed the way the screen space reflections fade in-out as the camera view moves is really graceful, probably the best implementation I've seen. Usually its pretty noticeable pop-in.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 21, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm not sure how much if reducing content and how much is just not using formal mission stories / opportunities. Something like sabotaging the light display so that Stuyvesant would meet with his daughter in Dubai could easily have been a minor mission story if they'd wanted. Same for the golf ball for Ingram.

efb

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess it's a reduction in the amount of scripting you have to do for the guided objectives at least. I bombed through each mission once in offline while the servers were still totally hosed up so I may have missed a lot, but I got the vibe of a reduction in the really really braindead simple 'get costume for person target wants to meet, talk to target, follow target to isolated room' type kills- basically sent up with the much higher effort detective one in level 2. Fair enough if they're still around in quantity and just not guided anymore though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Just beat England and as I think the only person who is invested in the story: :eyepop:

I can't wait to see what nonsense happens next, I hope Diana's gonna be okay - !

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 21, 2021

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

bradzilla posted:

There's only thee 'guided' story kills but still some of the more elaborate kill setups are not 'story' kills at all, like sabotaging the parachutes in dubai and tricking your targets into jumping to their deaths.

Having a peek at the challenges list can give you some inspiration for the types of kills the game offers apart from stories.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Between Dubai and the British Manor the maps feel like an evolution of NY and Haven in a really solid way, lots of verticality and interesting weird kills. It was funny listening to one lady talking into a phone and "anger issues" and then "exploding golf ball" and I went "wait what"

god I love this game!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just beat England and as I think the only person who is invested in the story: :eyepop:

I can't wait to see what nonsense happens next, I hope Diana's gonna be okay - !

No I'm right there with you, I just beat England and while the story is overall cheesy, this is the most invested in it i've ever been.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Between Dubai and the British Manor the maps feel like an evolution of NY and Haven in a really solid way, lots of verticality and interesting weird kills. It was funny listening to one lady talking into a phone and "anger issues" and then "exploding golf ball" and I went "wait what"

god I love this game!!

Hahahaha, yeah. As soon as she says that all hitman players are like O_O oh reaaaaally...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The story is good enough that if you want to get into it, you can. That's about the best I can say about it. It's not terrible and I'm enjoying it just fine.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Attempted to emulate the 17 second run in Dubai I watched earlier this morning by Frote7 and I'm pretty happy with 20 seconds using a gamepad. That poo poo is tricky. It's hard to explain to people that a game I can ostensibly beat in minutes is something I'll play for hundreds of hours. Still haven't tried any other levels yet after several hours.

This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0objsxfD6g

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The story is far from like, absolution level bad. The environmental storytelling in the stages themselves can be fun. Well, that's my damnation with faint praise

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I refuse to move on to the next level until I’ve 100%’ed all the challenges. I’ve had a kid since H2 came out so will probably be on Dubai until February :(

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

No Mods No Masters posted:

The story is far from like, absolution level bad. The environmental storytelling in the stages themselves can be fun. Well, that's my damnation with faint praise

I’m digging the chatter in Dubai. The hook for the exploding golfball though is just lazy writing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eggnogium posted:

I refuse to move on to the next level until I’ve 100%’ed all the challenges. I’ve had a kid since H2 came out so will probably be on Dubai until February :(

IMO this is the ideal way to play the series. I am moving on as I don't want everything spoiled before I get there, but I am trying to do multiple runs and get at least like mastery level 10 before I move on.

The slow drip release of H1 was really the best.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's definitely stuff that feels like some experimentation to see how they'd do Bond (I mean, hell, that opening transition from 47 in the flight suit to in designer business suit is right out of a Bond movie), but they very openly cut back on the guided missions in H2 compared to the first one, in that quite a few of them weren't direct kills, they just kinda got you into a place and then you had to do stuff from there. This just seems like an evolution of that. And stuff like the detective in Dartmoor and the assassin in Dubai feel a good bit longer and more involved.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Eggnogium posted:

I’m digging the chatter in Dubai. The hook for the exploding golfball though is just lazy writing.

I think they have exhausted every kind of NPC hint conversation imaginable 10 times over at this point, so much so that they had to add keypad code conversations to this game just to exhaust those 10 times over too. The ones that are just lore are tolerable. I guess it's just a formula running thin after 3 games thing

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do think the mystery in Dartmoor could've stood to be more ambiguous, instead of having Diana just say "OK, you solved it" once you find the right evidence.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The writing on a per-location basis, where they set up the intertwining stories that make the level what it is, is very good. I love the joke that Silvio Caruso has been tormenting his chef with being unable to match his mom’s spaghetti, because the chef never realizes his mom was just a lovely cook using expired sauce.

The overarching story of 47, Diana, and ICA shenanigans is fine, I guess - but I’ll certainly take that over Absolution.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Constant is a pretty good villain, at least.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I go through each map in turn, doing something different each time. Here's roughly how I played it before:

1.) Play through the missions normally on professional difficulty, just taking things as they come. I did so much exploring and trial and error when I did this that most missions took me at least 30 minutes each. Colorado and Mumbai in particular took me at least an hour but it was fun, the time didn't matter here.
2.) Play through the missions again, checking out all the mission stories.
3.) Play any expansions/bonus missions.
4.) Go through the escalations, again map by map.
5.) Clear up non-classic challenges. I had pretty much mastered every map at this stage so I had loads of options to do stuff.
6.) Try (and usually fail) to get SASO on each map. This is what I'm doing now.

I won't be getting H3 for ages so maybe they'll have added more stuff by then. Not getting my hopes up but I should still have plenty to go at.

This was a public service announcement from SA forums poster Hedgehog Pie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I do think the mystery in Dartmoor could've stood to be more ambiguous, instead of having Diana just say "OK, you solved it" once you find the right evidence.

I agree, I felt so clever when I puzzled it out after only a few clues, but then I decided to get the rest of the clues for completion's sake and was disappointed that it was just told to you in-case you hadn't figured it out.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Pirate Jet posted:

The writing on a per-location basis, where they set up the intertwining stories that make the level what it is, is very good. I love the joke that Silvio Caruso has been tormenting his chef with being unable to match his mom’s spaghetti, because the chef never realizes his mom was just a lovely cook using expired sauce.

I PUT 47 SPICES INTO THE PASTA

Gaz-L posted:

The Constant is a pretty good villain, at least.

When I saw someone here post here about how he ghosts you in Sgail, I was like "That's bollocks, it's totally random where he is right?" but no. :aaa: Now I'm always checking where he is, it's freaky. Weirdly, he seems to react like he doesn't know who you are when you confront him, so either he's feigning it or he just instinctively knows something off about you. A good villain for this series, and conveniently also quite Serious Bond Villain-esque.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's the end cutscene of H1 where he confronts Diana on a train and it's basically a scene where the villain has dinner with M or something from a Bond flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
i'm the guy who bought H3 and has basically been loving around in the ICA training facility, the thing I've played dozens of times in H1 and H2, for 2+ hours for yuks