Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TV Zombie posted:

How do you all deal with blood being drawn? My kids have taken my unfortunate trait of having slow blood so it’s so difficult, especially when the medical professionals can’t find a good vein immediately.

Man I don't have good advice, but we have certainly done a 180 in my house.

My 6 year old loves the doctor and she used to actually not mind shots at all. Like she was enthralled with the process and, small bit of pain aside, it never bothered her. The doctors loved her and were amazed all at the same time. It was just a non issue from 2-6.

Then something switched. I had to take her to get some blood drawn for a GI test the other day and the entire place might as well have just fallen in. Hysterics, screeching, outright blind panic. The nurses and I tried for about 30 minutes to continually calm and explain and reset... but every time that needle got near her her body just recoiled impulsively.

In the end I had to just brute force hold her down. It was the worst thing ever.

It's bad when it's a baby - but really they just scream and you know the pain isn't *that* bad. But when your child is old enough to scream "No stop you're hurting me!" It's a 100 times loving more devastating.

And then of course the needle is in, she gets a sucker or two and it's like NOTHING EVER loving HAPPENED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Alterian posted:

Wake up at 4:30 in the morning. :cool:

:smith:

I already wake up at 5am ughhhh

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I know it sounds kind of mean but I laugh when my 11 month old twins get shots at the doctor's office. I know it hurts them but it's very temporary and their cries can honestly sound kind of funny/cute at times, and we have bottles ready afterwards to soothe them.

But yeah I imagine it's going to be a lot worse when they are toddlers and can actually resist and scream loudly.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We have to laugh when our baby gets shots too. You can see the expression go from happy, to confusion, contemplation, then arrive at "i hate this!" shortly before the scream starts.

Then I crunch his favorite crinkle toy and he's laser focused on how happy he is to try to stuff the entire thing into his mouth. He'll even start giggling because we're laughing.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

nachos posted:

I already wake up at 5am ughhhh

No problem, just stay up later then.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Does anyone have any tips for surviving the nights with a newborn? He seems to only sleep for maybe 2 hours at a time and it’s been harder than I could have imagined. Will my body eventually get used to this?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

remigious posted:

Does anyone have any tips for surviving the nights with a newborn? He seems to only sleep for maybe 2 hours at a time and it’s been harder than I could have imagined. Will my body eventually get used to this?

You get used to it...

If you’re not on your own, do shifts with your partner; gently caress trying to both be up at the same time. If you’ve got any paternity leave between the two of you, do a day shift and a night shift.

If you’re on your own, try and get some family or friends to come over and do the same for you, or at least watch the baby for a few hours so you can get some rest.

My mom always told me to sleep when the baby sleeps, but we were way to focused on eating/cleaning/laundry when the baby slept, so we rarely paid attention to that. In hindsight, we should have. Knowing what I know now, babies kinda just sit there and sleep a lot, so even if they’re awake, as long as they aren’t needing a diaper or fed, they can hang out for a minute while you fold laundry...obviously that’s way easier to say now and I wouldn’t have listened to myself during the first 6 months.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

remigious posted:

It absolutely will get used to it so don't worry about that!

My main suggestions, is this is just about survival at this stage. Sleep when baby sleeps if you can, if you have a partner, switch out... take turns... do the bare minimum of housework you can accept... etc etc.

It's a hard shift in mentality but I promise you'll get through it!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You sleep when he sleeps

remigious posted:

. Will my body eventually get used to this?

No

But his stomach will get bigger by week 4. So you'll sleep longer. By day 8 you sort of are less-mentally-exhausted trying to learn to speak baby. By week 6 nothing feels like an emergency any more and the baby crying is mostly an annoyance rather than stressful and you're a baby whisperer.

The first 4 days are easy, days 5-12 suck, but then the baby stabilizes and it gets better

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Thanks guys. Luckily my husband is amazing and incredibly helpful, the main issue is at night since I have the boobs, I have to feed baby. My milk just came in so maybe I’ll try pumping to keep a bottle or two handy so husband can feed the baby and I won’t have to get up every time. Man it’s only been a few days and this has been such a wild ride!

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had absolutely no idea this thread even existed until today! I read through the last 15 or so pages to see if my issue has been discussed but I didn’t see anything. Apologies if I missed it though.

My 23 month old son seems to be going through the two year sleep regression. As of two weeks ago, he went from sleeping from 7 pm to 6 am every night and a 3 hour nap everyday to now waking up at all hours of the night screaming and naps as short as 90 minutes. The cries when he wakes up are so different from a normal cry too. We haven’t found a way to get him to fall back asleep in his crib at night. Whenever something like this has happened, we’d pick a night to finally let him cry it out and within 20 minutes he’d settle down on his own and we’d be fine again. But this time, he’s cried for over an hour many nights and still never settled down. Our only solution has been to take him into our bed where maybe he falls back asleep, if it’s still early enough in the night.

I totally realize we’ve been spoiled by his good sleep up until now but it’s gotten to the point where we go to bed at 8 every night just to try to get a decent amount of broken sleep. I know sleep regressions don’t last forever but does anyone have any tips on how they gotten through this one maybe shortened how long it lasts? Our older son never had something this bad either, so it’s uncharted territory for us

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer

remigious posted:

Thanks guys. Luckily my husband is amazing and incredibly helpful, the main issue is at night since I have the boobs, I have to feed baby. My milk just came in so maybe I’ll try pumping to keep a bottle or two handy so husband can feed the baby and I won’t have to get up every time. Man it’s only been a few days and this has been such a wild ride!

What worked for us was I would be responsible for the baby from around 9-2 while my wife slept and she’d be responsible for rest of the night. Having some bottles saved up and ready to go made that possible. And it allowed each of us to get at least 4 or 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I also stayed downstairs and the baby slept in the bassinet next to me so my wife wouldn’t get disturbed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

remigious posted:

At the newborn newborn stage it is pretty much anything goes if it gets you through the day. Something we found helpful was to keep things night-like at night. Minimum of light, zero chitchat. It let us get back to sleep very quickly.

People say to switch off but what we settled into was a tag team - both get up, person with boobs gets set up while the person without wrangles baby out of the swaddle, feed one side, person without handles diaper change between boobs, feed other side, person without puts baby back into swaddle and such while person with gets cleaned up. It wasn't fun but it worked and kept the load on each person low enough that they never really woke up all the way.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 22, 2021

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My husband used to stay up with the baby and play video games until like 1 or 2 am while I crashed hard. Baby would be on his lap or snuggled or sleeping close by. After 2am I’d take a shift and he would sleep. Eventually that just turned into co-sleeping. Sometimes he would sleep in a different room if it was a hard night so he would be rested, then I’d sleep in the morning after he was up.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

remigious posted:

Similar to Shifty Pony, we did a tag team approach where my partner would do the diaper change, swaddle, and any needed rocking, and I would do the nursing. The baby would generally nurse to sleep when she was very little, but she’d nurse for quite a while so my partner could doze while she ate. It felt pretty fair because we both ‘woke up’, but the level of effort was such that we’d both be able to fall back asleep pretty easily.

I don’t really know how parents manage fair shifts when the baby is in the room or nearby in the house- even when I was dead tired I’d wake up enough.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

cailleask posted:

My husband used to stay up with the baby and play video games until like 1 or 2 am while I crashed hard. Baby would be on his lap or snuggled or sleeping close by. After 2am I’d take a shift and he would sleep. Eventually that just turned into co-sleeping. Sometimes he would sleep in a different room if it was a hard night so he would be rested, then I’d sleep in the morning after he was up.

That phase when I could swaddle the baby for a couple hours while playing video games was a good one. Only lasted a month or two, but Mom got some sleep and I got some Bloodborne.

Co-sleeping in separate rooms also worked well for us, alternating the baby on different nights.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I really appreciate you all sharing your techniques! We’ll try everything and see what sticks :)

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

How do you all deal with blood being drawn? My kids have taken my unfortunate trait of having slow blood so it’s so difficult, especially when the medical professionals can’t find a good vein immediately.

EMLA cream. Numb the area right up. I use it on myself when I need to get IVs and it works a treat. It's quite surface level though so while it's good for IV injections/blood draws it's not going to take the full sting out of an intramuscular vaccine for example.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Re: Naps and getting stuff done:
My 21 month old hasn’t had a morning nap in about a year, and afternoon naps are anywhere from 0-30 minutes, 45 if I’m lucky.
Before she could walk, a doorway Johnny Jump Up was a lifesaver. I could do dishes, cook, clean, whatever, and she was having a blast bouncing around and was essentially restrained in one spot. Now that she’s mobile, our house is extensively baby proof, and she’s got two play areas with different toys where she can entertain herself for a little while. If I need her to be in one spot, I will strap her into her booster seat and she will draw with jumbo crayons. This usually gives me about ten minutes to get something done.
Mostly, though, any kind of deep cleaning out several loads of laundry is getting done while my husband and I are at home at the same time, so we can take turns entertaining the kid or cleaning.

Re: Newborns and not sleeping
It’s rough, you feel like you’re going to die, but it doesn’t last forever. My husband would stay up late, I would go to bed early, and he would bring her up when she wanted to be fed. If it hadn’t been too long, he would try to syringe feed her some of my pumped milk. Then I would get up really early and he would go to bed. I never got more than a few hours of uninterrupted sleep until she was older and could go longer between feedings. When that happened, she slept in her crib in the room with me and my husband slept in the guest bedroom since I couldn’t handle her sleep noise and his snoring.

You will figure out what works for you. So much of having a newborn is trial and error until you find something that sticks.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
daycare teacher tested positive so now we're home for two straight weeks with a 3 year old and a 6 month old!!! :winning:

the baby is now old enough to need a lot of interaction so I can't just plop her on the floor while we do toddler stuff. I felt super drained after the last 3 day weekends so this is going to be interesting. we're pulling out the original pandemic playbook which includes an hourly written schedule and 2 walks a day for the big girl regardless if it's freezing rain, which it will be. she loves being outside in the cold air at least, hah. im going to make so many frickin birdhouses for them to paint.

vvvv we had a very similar episode a couple days ago that included locking eyes with her mom while she peed right on the kitchen floor. Today was great though

majestic12 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 22, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Had a great day with my 2.5yo today, and I thought it was gonna end on a high note. He’s been giving us lots of willfulness lately given his age, especially with not wanting to even sit down for a meal without a fight, usually after telling us he wants to eat. Tonight, no fight. Then he gets up to use the potty, and he’s in there for awhile. I go to check on him and he sees me and goes, “Dada! I clean up my pee!” Okay well gently caress. So internally I’m like fuckkkkk, externally I’m calm and ask him to go pull his pants down, realizing he peed them and had an accident. This is when the NOs finally start flowing out like a firehouse. Tell him I gotta change his pants, won’t do it. Rolls around on the floor and kicks his legs back and forth, so I go gently caress it and tell him he can be naked. Tell him he’s got food on the table, he says he’s not done but won’t go eat. I drop that too. Then he runs behind his glider, I start doing dishes in the kitchen, and he runs in five minutes later telling me he pooped in his room. Sure enough he leads me to this giant steaming log behind the glider. Tell him I need to wipe him, and he sits down on his bed and says no. I told him earlier he could watch one episode of Daniel Tiger when he asked, but only if he sat down and ate until he was full and was good a listener. After 45 minutes of resistance and peeing and pooping, he finally sits down naked at his table, finishes eating, then...asks to watch Daniel Tiger. This is after I told him when Alexa’s timer goes off, it’s time for bed and he has 20 minutes to eat if he wants to eat more. Timer goes off, THEN he decides to sit and eat, THEN ask for TV like the previous 45 minutes of insurgency didn’t just happen.

What even is life

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I have a 3 month old who I think is already in 4 month sleep regression mode. She was getting into a schedule of sleeping 6-7 hours at a stretch every night while I was cosleeping with her in our guest bedroom, and then in the bassinet, which I moved into our room upstairs. For the past week, she’s mostly only slept 2-3.5 hours at a time. She woke up 5 times last night and her diaper also leaked, leaving me very tired.

I hope this is the sleep regression so I can get it over and done with rather than have her sleep get even worse in a few more weeks.

Our typical night has me put her into her crib in the nursery after she falls asleep while I hang out in the glider until she wakes up again. I use this time to pump, have a snack and a hot chocolate and just generally wind down and relax. Once she wakes up and has another bottle sometime between midnight and 2am, I move her into the bassinet in our bedroom and go to bed myself.

I know things will get better again. I just hope it doesn’t last too long.

My mom just bought a house a 30 minute walk away, so I hope we can visit her once we’re allowed to have indoor gatherings again. I also can’t wait for my baby to be able to meet another baby. There’s a couple photos of babies in one of her books and she always smiles and coos at them excitedly. It’s sad that she can’t see one for real. :(

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bananaquiter posted:

I lucked out and now my son takes one long nap instead of two super short ones.:shrug:

Same. We transitioned at maybe 14 months and two 30-minute naps turned into one 2-hour nap magically. And it also improved her night sleep.

Don't fear the change, embrace it because even though kids are unique, no toddler will keep taking two naps forever.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Man, it's been two years since I changed a diaper, it's great. I can barely remember potty training, although I think our youngest potty trained herself. What worked best on the boys however was 1) bribes and 2) a timer. Started out every hour, timer would go off, time to sit on the potty! If nothing happened, reset it, if something happened, give them like 3 hours on the timer. That way it's not me telling them what to do, it's "the timer" which I have no control of.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

remigious posted:

I really appreciate you all sharing your techniques! We’ll try everything and see what sticks :)

It does get easier, I promise!! The first few weeks are insanely hard and it feels so overwhelming because you are like...is this my life now? It's not, kids wake up in the night but it's not every two hours forever. Like other people have said, the first few weeks/months are completely survival mode, just do what you can to get through without losing your mind.

As far as what we did - the first week my husband was off work so we did shifts for the overnights. After that, I was on maternity leave while my husband worked so I did most of the overnight shifts in the newborn times but he was able to arrange his schedule to be able to work from home one day a week so that weekday morning and the weekend mornings I would wake him up around 6am and I would clock OUT until like 11am or something. 5 hrs of sleep felt like a miracle.

We fed formula because my mental health really was suffering from exclusively breastfeeding and the associated lack of sleep. Just a friendly reminder that combo feeding is always an option and while breast is best, formula is absolutely a very close second. I had incredible guilt when I chose to formula feed due to pressure from providers and society at large, but I now have a happy, healthy 2 year old and with the perspective of time I feel like it absolutely was the best choice for me and my family. Being able to 100% clock out of parenting for a few hours saved my mental health in a really difficult time which allowed me to be a more patient and mentally stable parent and partner.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Anyone have a decent recommendation on baby monitors? Wife demands it have video. Does it really matter?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If it needs video, the next question is, does she want breathing monitoring too? That will limit your options

We have a $50 video thing with terrible grainy video and works for us

We also have something that runs on an app, but honestly I prefer it purpose built $50 piece of crap, over an app that's constantly draining my battery. I think the app thing on your phone is better if you're not working from home this year. We're both in the house 24/7 so the purpose built thing works best for us right this second

I paid an extra $10 for the 5" screen model, vs the 3.5" model, no regrets. I can see everything fine with it propped up on the coffee table while watching a movie or whatever

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 22, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Anyone have a decent recommendation on baby monitors? Wife demands it have video. Does it really matter?

I can tell you do NOT get a lorex one, utter garbage.

Depending on your home automation setup perhaps a nest or arlo or logitech circle? Then when the baby monitor is no longer needed can repurpose it for other surveillance in the yard or whatever.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Video is more important than audio in my opinion. When the baby is loud you can hear them through the door, but you don't know if they're crying while lying down or about to climb out of the crib. If you have a big house or plan to be far away from the baby's room then audio might be more of a concern.

Hadlock posted:

If it needs video, the next question is, does she want breathing monitoring too? That will limit your options

We have a $50 video thing with terrible grainy video and works for us

We also have something that runs on an app, but honestly I prefer it purpose built $50 piece of crap, over an app that's constantly draining my battery. I think the app thing on your phone is better if you're not working from home this year. We're both in the house 24/7 so the purpose built thing works best for us right this second

I paid an extra $10 for the 5" screen model, vs the 3.5" model, no regrets. I can see everything fine with it propped up on the coffee table while watching a movie or whatever

This just goes to show that everyone's got different priorities and preferences. Even when working from home I prefer an app-based camera that I can pull up on my phone or tablet over an extra dedicated piece of hardware.

We use a basic Foscam model and it gets the job done, nothing super special going for it but I wouldn't recommend against it either.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Just found out my 12-month-old might be allergic to milk, eggs, and gluten. We have fed him all these things with no apparent reaction but he does have skin issues and apparently that's how it could manifest. I'm so unbelievably stressed out about this. I was already freaking out about food stuff just because it's hard to navigate transitioning from breastmilk to solids and breastmilk to cow's milk and those are some ridiculously restrictive allergies to have.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I just feel like :negative:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wizzardstaff posted:

This just goes to show that everyone's got different priorities and preferences. Even when working from home I prefer an app-based camera that I can pull up on my phone or tablet over an extra dedicated piece of hardware.

Haha good point

Me personally, I'd rather die, than sacrifice 4% battery life, despite the fact that I rarely go more than 10 minutes from a cell phone charger while working from home

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I have a Summer monitor and it works fine. Had trouble when I needed to get a second camera because my model had gone out of style, so if you're planning to have a second within a couple years maybe buy a second camera.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

boquiabierta posted:

Just found out my 12-month-old might be allergic to milk, eggs, and gluten. We have fed him all these things with no apparent reaction but he does have skin issues and apparently that's how it could manifest. I'm so unbelievably stressed out about this. I was already freaking out about food stuff just because it's hard to navigate transitioning from breastmilk to solids and breastmilk to cow's milk and those are some ridiculously restrictive allergies to have.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I just feel like :negative:

For what it's worth, when I was a baby I had some pretty bad reactions to common things like dairy and gluten and orange juice, to the extent that my mom couldn't even consume them before breastfeeding. I grew out of them and now cheese, bread, and juice are all staples in my diet. So this may not be a permanent thing you have to work around.

Not that that helps you right now, of course. Good luck with the transition; goat milk worked for me and maybe it would for you if you're able to find it.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

We’ve had an infant optics one for 5 years and it works well. They have good customer service so it’s easy to get replacements if anything breaks. It creeps me out that the wifi ones can get hacked.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

We have this one, works really well and pretty portable for trips to grandparents etc.
Plus now that our daughter is 16mo she hilariously pretends the monitor part is a phone and has long babbling conversations.

e: should add the reception is good too, her room is on the second floor and I can be doing things outside or on the opposite side in the basement and still see the camera

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 22, 2021

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We have this video monitor and like it a lot. It does not connect to the internet in any way so there is no privacy risk, and the range is good (but not amazing). Battery life is decent and it can charge from any USB power source via an included usb cable.

You can also turn off the screen and mute it without turning it off and let the indicator lights let tell you if there is any noises going on. I highly recommend turning the video off until you want to look because babies will wiggle like crazy and not wake up, which can stress you out needlessly.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We love the Eufy (anker) monitor. Great quality, no wifi/cell access to it's privacy is secure, great range. Not super cheap but we love it.

https://www.amazon.com/eufy-Security-BabyCare-SpaceView-Ultra-Long-dp-B08G8MBWZ8/dp/B08G8MBWZ8/ref=dp_ob_title_baby

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Why does everyone say babies are defenseless? These little suckers evolved claws before the rest of us did.

Have to keep filing down my baby’s talons like it’s a velociraptor and not a human child. I bought a baby nail clipper and immediately nicked his thumb and felt like the worst human being in the world.

Fishbulbz
Aug 24, 2004

What are the civilian applications?

space uncle posted:

Why does everyone say babies are defenseless? These little suckers evolved claws before the rest of us did.

Have to keep filing down my baby’s talons like it’s a velociraptor and not a human child. I bought a baby nail clipper and immediately nicked his thumb and felt like the worst human being in the world.

I found that a pair of small blunt tipped curved dog grooming scissors worked better than anything else for cutting nails. I had the vibrating sanding pad thingy for the early age, and that worked well too.

I also remember chewing off baby nails. Let go of any dignity you may have and do whatever works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I nicked my baby girl’s finger twice within a week while trimming her nails.

My wife is now responsible for all nail trimmings.