Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I bought a whole bunch of games in an attempt to prevent my mind from freaking out about going back to work. Both of these purchases on Steam.

BLASTON - CHIVALROUS DUELING PISTOLS IN VIRTUAL REALITY

What a freaking workout. Ostensibly all you're doing is standing on a podium dueling another player using futuristic guns and weapons. You've got pistols and shields and grenades it's pretty epic.

But everything happens in Matrix Bullet Time so you can dodge and avoid the bullets and etc. You need to react to the bullets so they don't hit you while also carefully aiming to hit your opponent, or just spray and pray.

In reality what you do is squat, lunge, and turn sideways over and over so you don't get hit by the bullets.

This is all online multiplayer so you're going to be playing against real people and I have never waited longer than 15 seconds for a match up.

Love this game already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QK19SJPqHc&t=20s

Powder VR Ski or Board in Virtual Reality!

This is also a fantastic workout. So, you're either racing against bots, you are trying to hit all the checkpoints on the slope, or you are doing tricks and spins and etc in the freestyle mode. If you are wireless VR that means literally turning around 1080 to do a spin. You can also do it via your controllers though.

This game uses the position of your two controllers to set the direction of the skis. More importantly, though, is the game uses the position of your headset to determine what edges to carve. For example, if you turn the skis to the right, it might move you a little. But, once you move your head in the direction you want to turn to set an edge, you really turn and come into play.

This is the game I want to love the most and I'm having a little trouble getting it "right." I think what I've noticed is that I'm used to skiing at 30MPH in real life and doing whatever turns and etc I want to. This game routinely has you going 70mph and the turns take a little longer than I'm used it.

It's hilarious to try a hockey stop on skis and then fall over in real because your brain can't tell the difference anymore.

Also I was going over some moguls and I swear I felt the floor flex........

https://twitch.tv/videos/881591161?t=1287s

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdLtvSVo0YE

Gave the player a blue hat so hopefully it reads more as a SWAT sniper now. I have a helmet with headphones that is probably more SWAT but still has a bit of that "guy going off the reservation" look to it.
You won't even see your own player model in the game (unless I add some kind of camera for streamers....) its more just to make it easier for me to record gameplay so you can see what I'm doing. Recording VR games for people is tricky! Just seeing the first person view can make it hard to tell what your hands are doing all the time.

The "Bloody screen, so real!" effect feels pretty good I think, and definitely gives the player better feedback that they're doing a bad thing. Also makes it much clearer when you get hit or if you manage to dodge an incoming bullet so I like that.

HoboTech posted:

Watched the video and for what you're aiming for (puns) it looks pretty drat good.

If you're concerned about the optics, though, you could be really bold and try going for a different genre of fiction. Hell, rip off Dune and snipe Sardaukar soldiers from the back of a worm after setting off the atomics. Or be a WW2 soldier who was transported to the walls of Helm's Deep and now you've got to shoot orcs. It sounds outlandish but hell, I'd play it. Please keep in mind that my last experience with "game dev" was with RPGMaker2000 so I have no idea how difficult the asset creation for any of this would be.

Whatever you decide, it looks like you've got a solid base to work from, and that's further than most get.

I mean, I actually have a Helm's Deep style fortress I want to have the player on the walls shooting orcs with a bow and arrow from.

I have a moon base level I'm working on full of Halo style space marines that you'll be shooting / assisting.

I want this to just be a whole silly sandbox / kitchen sink shooter. One of my favorite shooters of all time is TimeSplitters, which isn't a very complicated FPS but it is a very "have it your way!" FPS. You can hop into gangster time and shoot tommy guns or you can jump into the far future and shoot ray guns. I love that kind of thing. So that's basically the concept behind this whole project. That plus "What if Time Crisis or Silent Scope but VR" since I love Light Gun games, but they don't work with LCD screens. (I actually have a massive CRT just for light gun games lmao)

Asset creation is very very very time consuming. That's why I'm using the low-poly aesthetic, it keeps the bar from going too high. If I was targeting photorealism I couldn't manage to create 1% of the content that I can with a simpler, cartoonish style.

I'm also using a lot of marketplace assets purchased from a New Zealand art studio, they do really really good work for pretty cheap. The downside is you'll recognize some of these assets from other projects... but oh well. I can also model things myself, but every hour spent modeling is an hour not spent coding. The good news is I've already paid for a pretty huge library of assets, so I have cowboys, pirates, aliens, knights, and more. There's a LOT I can do with this :)

If anybody wants to chat about the game, make suggestions or follow development, please join my discord server: https://discord.gg/gtsRF6M3Qs I don't want to bloat the VR thread too much with my personal project.
I'm trying to get a demo ready for tomorrow so then you guys can try it out (and let me know what still needs tweaking :shobon:)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 21, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Stretch goal: multiplayer: 4 players are on the ground and have to make it to the sniper tower by taking cover behind scenery, buildings, in trees, etc. the sniper has to find and hit them.

If a player gets to the tower and hits a button, the sniper loses. If the sniper takes out all players, sniper wins.

I've done multiplayer coding before. I understand it, I can do it, and I generally want no part of it for this project :cheeky:

I mean, never say never. If the game actually sells at all I'd love to keep adding features.
But I already have a host of things I want to do first, like turret levels where you're on the back of a truck and the AI is driving you on a path through a zombie apocalypse or what have you.

But that is a very cool idea. I love asymmetric VR multiplayer, on PSVR they have a game where one person plays a godzilla monster with the HMD and the other players use controllers to drive little people who run away from the godzilla monster who tries to eat them using your head tracking. Great stuff.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Captain Apollo posted:

BLASTON - CHIVALROUS DUELING PISTOLS IN VIRTUAL REALITY

What a freaking workout. Ostensibly all you're doing is standing on a podium dueling another player using futuristic guns and weapons. You've got pistols and shields and grenades it's pretty epic.

But everything happens in Matrix Bullet Time so you can dodge and avoid the bullets and etc. You need to react to the bullets so they don't hit you while also carefully aiming to hit your opponent, or just spray and pray.

In reality what you do is squat, lunge, and turn sideways over and over so you don't get hit by the bullets.

This is all online multiplayer so you're going to be playing against real people and I have never waited longer than 15 seconds for a match up.

Love this game already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QK19SJPqHc&t=20s

:emptyquote:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The ski game looks cool, I will look into it. Also the WMR controller looks hilarious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Well, it was only a matter of time

https://uploadvr.com/apple-vr-headset-2022/

quote:

A new report states that Apple is working on a high-end standalone headset that is “mostly virtual reality” with some limited AR features.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

I just came.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'll be a bit shocked if this doesn't just get shelved for now. I mean, they have the institutional expertise to put together something good, but... right now theres really not much use for VR beyond games. They keep trying to push it for more stuff, but the only thing that has any foothold really beyond games is some corporate b2b use. Apple releasing a dedicated gaming system would be... surprising.

As stated in the article it would also be expensive, probably at least g2 if not index in price, and it guaranteed won't allow side loading of any kind or PC linking, so its probably less interesting to people really interested in VR gaming, and I'm wondering who its going to sell to? I mean I'm sure there are plenty who will buy it because its apple, and the verge glowing reviews that apple has invented stereoscopic displays, but is that the same crowd that wants to play a bunch of games? It just seems so outside Apple's wheelhouse, at least until there are more uses for VR and its a bit more mature. Like, AR I could see 100%, but thats also going to take a lot longer so maybe this is a stop gap product to test out potential features?

I just don't know, like again... theres no reason apple couldn't construct the hardware and software for a really good current VR headset, it just seems so wierd and out of place for them as a company.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VR headset with the M1 (or M2-3 in 2022) would be loving insane.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

VR headset with the M1 (or M2-3 in 2022) would be loving insane.

It would be interesting, but I don't think Apple is going to release any VR device until they can make something much lighter and smaller (and trendier looking) than they are right now, so what I'm really interesting it's what lens/optical technology have they planned, if they have something that will make a step forward in that sense.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I imagine gaming is massively important to Apple considering they have the best in class games on mobile / tablet formats. I also agree in that I don’t see them releasing some bulky rear end thing with fans you can hear. But ultimately keeping people in their ecosystem is their #1 goal so whatever serves that purpose makes sense.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

how would they recreate the mobile gaming ecosystem in vr? beat saber but you have a 20 minute cooldown timer between each song unless you use "beat coins" only $44.99 for 500

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I imagine gacha games with anime girl tits would sail to the moon in VR, which is why I'll be sure to put more money in my brokerage account so I can get in on that stock action, it'll never fall.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jenny Agutter posted:

how would they recreate the mobile gaming ecosystem in vr? beat saber but you have a 20 minute cooldown timer between each song unless you use "beat coins" only $44.99 for 500

I was just thinking that there's no way they'd put one out and not make it only play games on their store and sign a bunch of exclusivity deals for devs to make games for iOSvr or whatever to entice people.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No VR support announced yet For Resident Evil 8 :sigh:

Maybe it'll get added as dlc i dunno. Really disappointing cause RE7 was one of my favorite things in VR.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Apple Arcade is pretty well curated, with a low monthly price and actual games without ads and microtransactions. They knew people loving hated the mobile ecosystem and did something about it, so I'm willing to see where they go with this.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Synth Riders is on sale. Thinkin about it. Already have and love Beat Saber.

Is Synth Riders better than Audica or Audio Trip?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Finally got my Quest 2 and got wireless PCVR working with no hassle. really blown away by how amazing HL Alyx feels and looks. Only problem so far is that as an Asian with typical high cheekbones, my cheeks hurt like hell and the area around the nose leaks alot of light. Are the elite straps/accessories worth getting?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

I'll be a bit shocked if this doesn't just get shelved for now. I mean, they have the institutional expertise to put together something good, but... right now theres really not much use for VR beyond games. They keep trying to push it for more stuff, but the only thing that has any foothold really beyond games is some corporate b2b use. Apple releasing a dedicated gaming system would be... surprising.

As stated in the article it would also be expensive, probably at least g2 if not index in price, and it guaranteed won't allow side loading of any kind or PC linking, so its probably less interesting to people really interested in VR gaming, and I'm wondering who its going to sell to? I mean I'm sure there are plenty who will buy it because its apple, and the verge glowing reviews that apple has invented stereoscopic displays, but is that the same crowd that wants to play a bunch of games? It just seems so outside Apple's wheelhouse, at least until there are more uses for VR and its a bit more mature. Like, AR I could see 100%, but thats also going to take a lot longer so maybe this is a stop gap product to test out potential features?

I just don't know, like again... theres no reason apple couldn't construct the hardware and software for a really good current VR headset, it just seems so wierd and out of place for them as a company.

Yeah if you read the article its specifically an AR/VR device, so it definitely feels like them building it to test and build towards more, as a stop gap like you said.

Turin Turambar posted:

It would be interesting, but I don't think Apple is going to release any VR device until they can make something much lighter and smaller (and trendier looking) than they are right now, so what I'm really interesting it's what lens/optical technology have they planned, if they have something that will make a step forward in that sense.

This then brings up questions of how an AR/VR device even works... if its VR then you need to close out the view. But for AR you need to see and have an overlay. You could achieve AR by having cameras feed through to the screen, but that's far from ideal.

So.... yeah. Is this some new lens technology entirely?

Jenny Agutter posted:

All Apple really cares about is that you're on their walled garden instead of Facebook's.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 22, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ughhhh posted:

Finally got my Quest 2 and got wireless PCVR working with no hassle. really blown away by how amazing HL Alyx feels and looks. Only problem so far is that as an Asian with typical high cheekbones, my cheeks hurt like hell and the area around the nose leaks alot of light. Are the elite straps/accessories worth getting?

Yes, 100%. People here will say the elite strap is mandatory. I'd say it's probably not mandatory, however it is like night and day wearing the headset with the elite strap so if you're feeling discomfort already I highly recommend it. It's hard to explain but the sides of the elite strap are solid plastic, so when you tighten the top properly the visor sorta freely hangs off the top of your head in front of your eyeballs instead of using your cheekbones as a support.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

veni veni veni posted:

No VR support announced yet For Resident Evil 8 :sigh:

Maybe it'll get added as dlc i dunno. Really disappointing cause RE7 was one of my favorite things in VR.

I'm hoping that leaked Capcom info about Resident Evil 4 VR on Oculus coming out in April turns out to be true. I loved Resident Evil 4.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Stretch goal: multiplayer: 4 players are on the ground and have to make it to the sniper tower by taking cover behind scenery, buildings, in trees, etc. the sniper has to find and hit them.

If a player gets to the tower and hits a button, the sniper loses. If the sniper takes out all players, sniper wins.

Not quite the same, but check out Panoptic. Similar idea, but the player on the ground isn't ducking behind cover and scenery as much as "hiding in plain sight" by blending in with the NPCs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/541930/Panoptic/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tip posted:

I'm hoping that leaked Capcom info about Resident Evil 4 VR on Oculus coming out in April turns out to be true. I loved Resident Evil 4.

Regenerator anxiety? In VR?!

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Zaphod42 posted:

Good VR stuff

Thanks for posting the discord link. I too miss the lightgun game days, I'll gladly test out any builds that you stick there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Apple loves nothing more than high res displays and bragging that they have the highest res displays, so expect that part at least to be best in class

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 22, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The newer phones have lidar i imagine that tech slapped on headset could come in handy for VR position tracking

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Anyone know how controlers/joysticks work with Virtual desktop on quest 2? I was gonna run Elite or Starwars Sq and was wondering if using controls connected to the PC affects use in VD quest 2?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ChocNitty posted:

Wondering this too! Synth riders at a glance reminds me of Aaero which I love.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

Haven't played either of those, but I'm enjoying Synth Riders a lot. It's heavier on synthwave than Beat Saber, as you might expect. Because you need to manoeuvre your hands to the correct position instead of waving sticks, I feel like there's more scope for moving your body and actually dancing a bit, compared to Beat Saber. You'll probably want to buy an extra music pack, and there are custom tracks as well, which are as mixed a bag as you'd expect.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ughhhh posted:

Anyone know how controlers/joysticks work with Virtual desktop on quest 2? I was gonna run Elite or Starwars Sq and was wondering if using controls connected to the PC affects use in VD quest 2?

Pick up the controller and play, it works just like switching between KB+M/Controller. You can use an xbox controller connected to your PC while using Virtual Desktop to play Squadrons in VR if that's what you're asking.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Apple loves nothing more than high res displays and bragging that they have the highest res displays, so expect that part at least to be best in class

How much higher is it really worth going right now though? The g2 already hits the limits of beefy desktop GPU's, and the quest doesn't even render native apps at near the full resolution of its panel. Resolutions past something like the g2 right now, on a stand alone system running on mobile hardware feels like a waste unless the panel cost is meaningless.

I still think its just tech rumors that won't go anywhere. I mean last year everyone was absolutely convinced apple would be showing off iGlasses for an AR experience at their big show and not a peep was there of it. I'm sure apple has a billion and one things cooking around their labs, and tech journalists want the next scoop so they'll latch on to anything they hear rumors about as the next big thing any day now.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tom Guycot posted:

How much higher is it really worth going right now though? The g2 already hits the limits of beefy desktop GPU's, and the quest doesn't even render native apps at near the full resolution of its panel. Resolutions past something like the g2 right now, on a stand alone system running on mobile hardware feels like a waste unless the panel cost is meaningless.

I still think its just tech rumors that won't go anywhere. I mean last year everyone was absolutely convinced apple would be showing off iGlasses for an AR experience at their big show and not a peep was there of it. I'm sure apple has a billion and one things cooking around their labs, and tech journalists want the next scoop so they'll latch on to anything they hear rumors about as the next big thing any day now.

yeah I think res isn't the killer feature anymore, it's 'good enough'. The significant advantage Apple has is having their own SoC that is leagues ahead of anything else in that category, while every other potential wireless solution is stuck with whatever qualcomm puts out.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The biggest limitation for VR right now is software, not hardware, imo. If they just come out with Another Headset it's not going to affect the landscape much, I think

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Nah, the article specifically mentions this bit;

quote:

Bloomberg, which first reported on the device in mid-2020 after a 2019 article from The Information, cites “people with knowledge of the matter” in saying that this device should serve as a precursor to headsets with more advanced AR features

I think something a little cludgy for their first headset's more likely to be the case, because it's their first foray into VR. After that comes refinement and fancy AR toys when they build upon it.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I imagine gaming is massively important to Apple considering they have the best in class games on mobile / tablet formats. I also agree in that I don’t see them releasing some bulky rear end thing with fans you can hear. But ultimately keeping people in their ecosystem is their #1 goal so whatever serves that purpose makes sense.

It's quite possible to make a fan that runs near-silent under load. If you have a tower PC that's not filled with Noctua fans, you should fix that if you have the money for them. Even at full-tilt you'll be hard-pressed to notice them.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

HTC was saying at CES this year that they see "all-in-two" being the next step. Basically it means VR tethered to your phone rather than a PC. Maybe they'll invent something that has hardware in the headset that can work in tandem with a phone. Maybe the high end iphone by 2022 will be able to run high res screens no problem.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lister posted:

HTC was saying at CES this year that they see "all-in-two" being the next step. Basically it means VR tethered to your phone rather than a PC. Maybe they'll invent something that has hardware in the headset that can work in tandem with a phone. Maybe the high end iphone by 2022 will be able to run high res screens no problem.

The Cosmos was supposed to be capable of this, and that feature just never came to pass.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Facebook or itunes account required

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Lister posted:

I think more than maybe. The current top-end iPhone is already pumping out as many pixels as the Quest 2, and 3/4s of the Index.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

"Apple is making a VR headset" is the "Bloodborne is being ported to PC" of this section of the industry. It comes up every few months and nothing ever comes from it because Apple fundamentally doesn't care about videogames.

ChocNitty posted:

There's a demo on Sidequest if you want to try it first. I personally really like it, as other people said it feels a lot more freeform in movement than Beat Saber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Tom Guycot posted:

Did they do the update with an in game note taking system yet? I've been holding off replaying it until that feature is in... just too hard to take notes otherwise.
I haven't seen a notetaking system in it. My progress has been super slow, but I'm already way farther than my last attempt at playing Myst. Take that, 8-year-old me.