Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It wouldn’t have been as incentivized though, unless game manufacturers started demanding a cut of the sales from arcades, which, in a cash based business without receipts, would be hard to actually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Wonder why none of the bootlegs did it?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It wouldn’t have been as incentivized though, unless game manufacturers started demanding a cut of the sales from arcades, which, in a cash based business without receipts, would be hard to actually do.

It kind of was incentivized in that game companies still had to sell their cabinets and quarter-chuggers were the ones operators wanted.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Manager Hoyden posted:

It kind of was incentivized in that game companies still had to sell their cabinets and quarter-chuggers were the ones operators wanted.

Yeah if you wanted to beat TMNT put a $20 in the quarter machine basically.

We had two neat alternatives when I was a kid. One time fee for free play at night at the mini golf arcade or the $5 entry fee nickel arcade.

So many kids mobbing the Sega holo fighter cab sometimes all the good fighter games were clear so you could take a run at Sagat or Goro.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I still remember when GameWorks had a location on the Las Vegas Strip. You bought a card and could game unlimited for like an hour if I remember correctly (it's been 20+ years). They had dozens of fighting games and I swear to God like 70+ racings cabinets. Plus a little corner of Atari games.

It's now a Marshalls.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I liked Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance where you could switch weapons/styles. From then onward the Mortal Kombat games have basically known their lane and been at least enjoyable.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

I still remember when GameWorks had a location on the Las Vegas Strip. You bought a card and could game unlimited for like an hour if I remember correctly (it's been 20+ years). They had dozens of fighting games and I swear to God like 70+ racings cabinets. Plus a little corner of Atari games.

It's now a Marshalls.

The free-play sessions were good, you could go with some friends and have a fun social time for a couple of hours playing games together. Arcades are sort of coming back into fashion at least so people can do it again, until covid killed them again.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Barcade here in Oslo called Tilt has a Rampage cabinet that's set to free continues. I'll just play that all night anytime I'm there and take on all comers.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The last fighting game I played was dead or alive 2 which was actually good cuz it was based around throws and counters instead of special moves and poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda funny that iirc, Dragon Ball FighterZ's Dramatic Finishes aren't actual moves necessarily, just the win animations for certain combinations of characters.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fridge corn posted:

The last fighting game I played was dead or alive 2 which was actually good cuz it was based around throws and counters instead of special moves and poo poo

It's annoying, I spent my entire childhood and teenage life trying to convince my friends to play fighting games with me because they were never really as hardcore gamers and were always intimidated by them. "I don't know all the fancy moves" etc. Like I'm not good, it wouldn't be a stomping or anything. One kids birthday party growing up, we rented a super Nintendo and Super Street Fighter 2 and just stayed up ALL night playing that, eating pizza and trash talking. Everyone had their own character that you could SEE each other getting better with, a kind of natural tournament formed. It was so good, and I think I was always trying to recreate a bit of that magic.

Finally, at Uni, I found that for some reason DOA just absolutely clicked with one of the most non-gamery friends in my group, he was an absolute beast! His enjoyment massively encouraged others. The one other gamer-friend and I would try and orchestrate 'winner stays on' bouts of anything we could whenever we had big groups of people over, I'd never really been into DOA, but with his enthusiasm, it just caught on, and for a while it was glorious.

One time one dude got super drunk and just kept enthusiastically yelling "I'M BAYMAN!!!" to himself, while somehow, against his nature, absolutely destroying us all, with an array of characters admittedly including Bayman. We developed a code of honour whereby if one player selected random character, the other would nod solemnly stating 'random fighter 4' and do the same. It was awesome, all that good poo poo that playing fightgames with your buds can be.

But then people started to fixate on the BOOBS, and the general lazy male-gaziness of it, and that guy who clicked with it was embarrassed back into not showing enthusiasm for it. I mean I guess we kinda all were. And so it all crumbled and died. It was years before we got another good group going, but only for a single night. After that we all went and got lives and wives, full time jobs and homes with hobs. It's never going to happen again.

gently caress you, jiggle physics, you stupid moron.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the xen levels in half life werent bad, it played more slowly but it was a cool alien world and it was nice to see the aliens all exist in some kind of ecosystem

what it needed though was grunts, it's even worse in the black mesa remake, just make some hecu grunts teleport in there because the xen enemies alone arent that fun to fight

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Shibawanko posted:

the xen levels in half life werent bad, it played more slowly but it was a cool alien world and it was nice to see the aliens all exist in some kind of ecosystem

what it needed though was grunts, it's even worse in the black mesa remake, just make some hecu grunts teleport in there because the xen enemies alone arent that fun to fight

I always REALLY liked the Gonarch, but hated the final boss (diamond head float man?). I think you're absolutely right, you've hit the nail on the head. The way to fix it, I think would be to make the Gonarch like the final end boss, but then when you kill it, Zen starts burning (I guess with like a psychic fire) and you have to escape Zen. The grunts are now coming through to try to contain it / salvage it, and the final sequence is a mad dash through a hail of gunfire that you can't possibly hope to outgun, you're barely surviving with the whole world burning around you, and then there's a puzzle where you have to slot a gem/rock thing into a pillar of light, (I mean like a REALLY loving obvious puzzle) just like the intro of the game, to create the portal to escape.

I agree that Xen was fine, in itself, I just think the pacing of it was wrong. It being 'slow' and floaty at the end felt alien and weird, but then it created tension through frustration (the stupid jumpy pads, the timing on the monster's head opening), not through a mounting existential peril. I guess another take would have been to just go super weird and alien, really gently caress with the physics and stuff, and have the tension be that the further you get into Xen, the less sense it makes, and harder it is to even understand what you're looking at. Admittedly that's much harder to do, and much easier for me to say with the hindsight of having played stuff like Antichamber.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

!Klams posted:

I always REALLY liked the Gonarch, but hated the final boss (diamond head float man?). I think you're absolutely right, you've hit the nail on the head. The way to fix it, I think would be to make the Gonarch like the final end boss, but then when you kill it, Zen starts burning (I guess with like a psychic fire) and you have to escape Zen. The grunts are now coming through to try to contain it / salvage it, and the final sequence is a mad dash through a hail of gunfire that you can't possibly hope to outgun, you're barely surviving with the whole world burning around you, and then there's a puzzle where you have to slot a gem/rock thing into a pillar of light, (I mean like a REALLY loving obvious puzzle) just like the intro of the game, to create the portal to escape.

Feels like we have ridiculous amounts of games that do that. Even Mario did it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I used to be more into Capcom fighters but I came to really enjoy the less combo-y style of MK. And the story modes in the ones since MK9 have been really fun and willing to play insanely goofy stuff totally straight like any good B movie.

Now try Samurai Shodown

!Klams posted:

gently caress you, jiggle physics, you stupid moron.

DoA6 could have been good and they said they were gonna pull back on the malegaze bullshit but then they didn't and also didn't care about competitive play

Tomonobu Itagaki is a weird oatmeal-faced creep and it's loving amazing they didn't get away from that when he wasn't part of the franchise

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Everspace 2, probably my most anticipated game right now, is out on early access. It's no longer a roguelite, more of an open world space battle game. But the battles are just as good or better and it's got a coherent story and persistent upgrades now, plus a crafting system and such. I'm not sure how far I've gotten through it but the game seems mostly finished so far except lacking voices and animations in some cutscenes and instead using a narrator. Looks and plays extremely well and no game I've ever played has been as satisfying to pilot or truly scratched that space pilot itch.

Best space combat game I've ever played, by far. Intuitive but challenging. If I would say anything negative, it could do to be a bit more difficult. Still, really recommend checking it out.

fridge corn posted:

The most recent two Mortal Kombat games are both genuinely good. I'm not great at them either, and one thing I don't love is how you basically need to pick a character and learn them inside and out before you are actually decent in online battles, but the campaigns are pretty good and challenging, wacky story that's fun, and most importantly good mechanics. Learning the moves and when to use them is satisfying when you finally start pulling it off. Excellent characters and excellent graphics too, the type of great graphics that is much easier to do in a 2d game like it is.

Watching the pros play those games is pretty neat too. They are insanely good.

I really liked the fights in Dragon Ball Z Kakarot too. Not exactly a "fighting game" but I loved what they did with the combat, it truly felt like you were a superpowered dragon ball z dude

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Persona series kind of weirds me out by having all these heavy relationships and a narrative focus on genuine bonds while having the player use those connections only transactionally

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
It's an unfortunate side effect of mixing the games about pretend social relationships genre with the dungeon exploration genre

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Fighting games have way too much focus on combos. Combos just feel like stupid busy work where you have to look up a character's bread and butter combo and then practice it for half an hour until you have the muscle memory down. They are now just a roadblock to playing any fighting game for me and my friends because we want to pick up and play, not look things up and go into practice mode. Just pretending they don't exist for the sake of playing together is unsatisfying because the games are balanced around them. Combos have gotten ridiculous to the point that they take more than a 3rd of your health and carry you across most of the screen.

Anything more than a 3 hit combo should be a rarity.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

signalnoise posted:

The Persona series kind of weirds me out by having all these heavy relationships and a narrative focus on genuine bonds while having the player use those connections only transactionally

I guess you have to take it on faith that the protagonist values the relationships for their own sake rather than just getting a buff to hanged man demons. The whole silent protagonist thing kind of detracts from it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The controls for every Resident Evil game are way too clunky to enjoy. I shouldn't need to fight the controls to play the drat game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

I guess you have to take it on faith that the protagonist values the relationships for their own sake rather than just getting a buff to hanged man demons. The whole silent protagonist thing kind of detracts from it.

The real problem there is how as soon as I have a maxed out relationship with them they are dead to me

I mean I still like these games but it's a criticism I never hear about them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

Fighting games have way too much focus on combos. Combos just feel like stupid busy work where you have to look up a character's bread and butter combo and then practice it for half an hour until you have the muscle memory down. They are now just a roadblock to playing any fighting game for me and my friends because we want to pick up and play, not look things up and go into practice mode. Just pretending they don't exist for the sake of playing together is unsatisfying because the games are balanced around them. Combos have gotten ridiculous to the point that they take more than a 3rd of your health and carry you across most of the screen.

Samurai Shodown

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Galford and Poppy is the greatest team in any fighting game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nice Van My Man posted:

yeah this is why i still like original street fighter a lot, the combos are all non-ridiculous

to me though a lot of fighting games are just about aesthetics more than gameplay, just like with shmups. i will never be pro fighting or shmup guy but i still like to play them just to look at the visual style and get a general impression and have a bit of fun. this is why i think cute em ups and casual shmups are best

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

yeah this is why i still like original street fighter a lot, the combos are all non-ridiculous

In that they don't exist in the game, sure.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

oh yeah, poo poo

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I enjoyed one of the modern Mortal Kombats (9, maybe?) But I like reading the wikis more than I enjoy playing them.

I do think the 3D makes the modern fatalities really boring though. The meat-dummy aspect means most of them seem to be variations of slicing and dicing or exploding without any genuine creativity. Like why doesnt Robocop have a toxic waste fatality, y'know?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think that even extreme brutal video game gore is just funny. No matter how intense you try to make it its just silly and rad to me. Honestly the only thing that's ever come close to bothering me is the broken arm in Last of Us 2. More gore in video games IMO.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think that even extreme brutal video game gore is just funny. No matter how intense you try to make it its just silly and rad

That is the intention, yes.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
For Honor, a game no one has played apparently, is very good

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I played Chivalry and that was enough to scare me away from games like Mordhau and For Honor probably forever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

For Honor, a game no one has played apparently, is very good

It sold quite well as I remember. It was just the devs didn't understand/care how to balance a fighting game so top level play was degenerate.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

Actually, mastering King's 13 stage multi-throw will pretty much redeem my otherwise worthless life, AND make Jenny regret picking that loser, Kevin.

I bet he's a Nina main too, the absolute bastard

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have fond memories from Chivalry of teabagging people as the king and kicking people into the wall spikes

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

I played Chivalry and that was enough to scare me away from games like Mordhau and For Honor probably forever

i loved chivalry but it became unplayable once everybody started to spam ducking and became invincible

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've started playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I've decided this game would be much better if you didnt have to kill anything

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the additional DLC tombs that come with the complete edition or whatever are really good, some of the better DLC out there. Hours of solid gameplay added.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

I've started playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I've decided this game would be much better if you didnt have to kill anything

lol people said the same thing about Tomb Raider 1 except it was "whys she killing innocent bats and wolves"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

i loved chivalry but it became unplayable once everybody started to spam ducking and became invincible

It became unplayable when I casually reached level 20, because their whole matchmaking balance scheme is just to put everyone >20 in a separate pool iirc. So if you make it to 20 all of a sudden the game stops being casual drunken fun and instead becomes another competitive pvp game full of tryhards and that's all you'll ever get from it ever again