Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wolfsheim posted:

i'm the guy who bought H3 and has basically been loving around in the ICA training facility, the thing I've played dozens of times in H1 and H2, for 2+ hours for yuks

The first thing I did in Hitman 3 was rerun Paris for the nth time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

When I saw someone here post here about how he ghosts you in Sgail, I was like "That's bollocks, it's totally random where he is right?" but no. :aaa: Now I'm always checking where he is, it's freaky. Weirdly, he seems to react like he doesn't know who you are when you confront him, so either he's feigning it or he just instinctively knows something off about you. A good villain for this series, and conveniently also quite Serious Bond Villain-esque.

The Constant is assigned to go to certain nearby positions based on where you are, rather than trying to avoid you. It's intended to let you see his interactions without letting him walk in and ruin your SA (though some of his positions do functionally block you, especially in the sitting area of his tower).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The first thing I did in Hitman 3 was rerun Paris for the nth time.

At this point I think the techno music in the runway/bar area is burned into my brain, but yes I will at least be getting one funny kill on Viktor and Dahlia yet again....

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/HiTMAN/comments/l26uts/found_hitman_making_small_talk_absolutely/

Man I love these games.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Has anyone been able to get Windows HDR to not be utter dogshit for this?

I realise HDR is still quite janky on PC compared to TVs, but I can normally subdue it into some useable form per game. For this it always looks washed out and ugly. On the calibration screen where it tells you to make the square barely visible, I can change it from solid black to solid grey. Still very much visible.

Edit: I've at least changed Windows installation, video card and monitor all at least once since this trilogy and it was the same before and after so I can't imagine that it's just me experiencing this

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 22, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wow the final level is really lame

at least it only takes a few runs to max out the challenges so you can never play it again

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I realise HDR is still quite janky on PC compared to TVs, but I can normally subdue it into some useable form per game. For this it always looks washed out and ugly. On the calibration screen where it tells you to make the square barely visible, I can change it from solid black to solid grey. Still very much visible.

Edit: I've at least changed Windows installation, video card and monitor all at least once since this trilogy and it was the same before and after so I can't imagine that it's just me experiencing this
Are you on nvidia? There's a setting in their control panel that I had to toggle to get full HDR.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This is better characterization than the actual dramatic moments.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Pilchenstein posted:

Are you on nvidia? There's a setting in their control panel that I had to toggle to get full HDR.

The 10bit setting along with the change from RGB to YUV? Yeah, if anything the YUV made everything worse and applied the washed out effect to non-HDR sources so I've changed it back :saddowns:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Eggnogium posted:

I’m digging the chatter in Dubai. The hook for the exploding golfball though is just lazy writing.

I thought it was hilarious! Gamers should be banned from using the word "lazy", it's just so presumptuous.

Anyway, I've had a few spins around Dubai and Dartmoor and I just love the set design of these so far. I started Berlin so I'm not too far into it but I like the premise. These, so far, are spaces that are just fun to goof off in. I like them much better than your Colorados and your Bangkoks for sure.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I'm not sure how I'll feel about Dartmoor in the long run, but it was a great level to do for the first time. I spent like an hour and a half dressed as the detective looking for all the clues, finding little secrets, scanning everything I could with my camera for the challenges. I know I'll wanna plow through it again just trying to shadow the real detective to see how that plays out as well, obviously. Otherwise just having just finished through Berlin, I can tell Dubai and Berlin are classically solid Hitman levels that will be fun to screw around in for a long while, but Dartmoor is gonna need more runs at it before I know if it really works or not for me. I suspect it'll entertain me just fine though. Trying to plow through everything once before I decide what to spend more time with for now though, the plot hooks are actually pretty decently engaging this time.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm not really feeling Berlin storywise. As far as I've seen there's not much to observe apart from backdrop and ICA dudes that are all looking for you, instead of having interesting routines or plotlines. Just going in circles/standing still waiting for you to come and put an end to them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

thewizardofshoe posted:

I'm not sure how I'll feel about Dartmoor in the long run, but it was a great level to do for the first time. I spent like an hour and a half dressed as the detective looking for all the clues, finding little secrets, scanning everything I could with my camera for the challenges. I know I'll wanna plow through it again just trying to shadow the real detective to see how that plays out as well, obviously. Otherwise just having just finished through Berlin, I can tell Dubai and Berlin are classically solid Hitman levels that will be fun to screw around in for a long while, but Dartmoor is gonna need more runs at it before I know if it really works or not for me. I suspect it'll entertain me just fine though. Trying to plow through everything once before I decide what to spend more time with for now though, the plot hooks are actually pretty decently engaging this time.

I love how wildly different this was from my run through it, as I snuck into the lawyer's room, KOed his guard and him and went around being all lawyerly and listened to the family members being all snooty about the detective creeping around.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I've had this but can't tell you what setting I changed in the pregame video setup to stop it happening, will have another look through when I'm not on phone

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Not playing H3 but Master mode does enjoy its mean tricks doesn't it? Locking off the boat exit in Bangkok, putting a (suit!) enforcer right by the cable car in Hokkaido... The latter almost got me, and dare I say if it had, I might have put my foot through the screen and sent Lars von Trier/Mads Mikkelsen/Hans Christian Andersen the bill.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the mission intros are cool and the starting locations means you dont have to do them every time

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Goddamn, Chongqing is a Deus Ex level.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

mistermojo posted:

the mission intros are cool and the starting locations means you dont have to do them every time

Yes, I thought this was a great idea implemented well. Give you a more cinematic experience the first time through, then let you go buck wild later.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m getting so much better at this game! I’m in my first playthrough of the island if Sgail and still have SA status after sneaking around finding tons of stories and disabling the security camera system. I loving love knocking people out by throwing random things at their skulls. I also can’t believe the H2 levels are so graphically bumped up by the new game. Can a human actually even tell the difference between their use of screen space and texture reflections from real RTX? It’s so drat impressive. And I haven’t even seen an H3 map yet.

I’m having like, the hardest time deciding the coolest way to kill the target in Sgail. Killing her during a lie detector test thing? Posing as Janus’ corpse? Lol now that I’m actually better at this, these are hard decisions.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m getting so much better at this game! I’m in my first playthrough of the island if Sgail and still have SA status after sneaking around finding tons of stories and disabling the security camera system. I loving love knocking people out by throwing random things at their skulls. I also can’t believe the H2 levels are so graphically bumped up by the new game. Can a human actually even tell the difference between their use of screen space and texture reflections from real RTX? It’s so drat impressive. And I haven’t even seen an H3 map yet.

I’m having like, the hardest time deciding the coolest way to kill the target in Sgail. Killing her during a lie detector test thing? Posing as Janus’ corpse? Lol now that I’m actually better at this, these are hard decisions.

awww :3:

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love how wildly different this was from my run through it, as I snuck into the lawyer's room, KOed his guard and him and went around being all lawyerly and listened to the family members being all snooty about the detective creeping around.

Hah yeah see I already forgot about the lawyer. It's gonna be a lot to replay for sure despite only having the one target.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

I like pretending to be the one's ex and strangling her with the pretty necklace.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

In Chongqing the board member you can pretend to be really sounds like Ben Whishaw.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
People talk about how much the electrocution phone trivialises the game but I can never get targets to pick the bastard up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Can a human actually even tell the difference between their use of screen space and texture reflections from real RTX? It’s so drat impressive. And I haven’t even seen an H3 map yet.

I 100% can, but its because I know exactly how the techniques work so I know what to do that'll break screen-space. Generally, I think the reflections look pretty fantastic.

In the right circumstances, they would look indistinguishable. The problem is there's a lot of possible scenarios where screen-space doesn't work (things behind you, if you make the camera look straight up or straight down, curved surfaces, etc.)

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

The final level in 3, Carpathian Mountains, was very funny to me in a meta sense. Diana tells you to "embrace the past." Okay. Well, I guess embracing the past means the final level is just the Train level from Goldeneye. Which makes sense because IO has the Bond license now. And you overhear the guards talk about how it's an old Soviet missile train that used to be owned by Janus from the Hitman universe. Well, in Goldeneye it's also owned by a guy who goes by Janus. Who is played by Sean Bean. Who was an elusive target in Hitman 2. Good game, looking forward to replaying everything over and over.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Dartmoor is just so drat good! Solving the murder was a ton of fun.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
pet peeve. if we're gonna start putting in actual dark souls style shortcuts, where the physical universe is affected by our previous playthroughs of the level...

why the gently caress isn't intel saved between attempts

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
OK, so Hitman 3 looks like a fun time. It looks like it comes with Hitman 1. Is the Hitman 2 expansion pass worth buying? If so, should I get the Gold edition? What does it actually have that's different from the base 2 expansion?

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Oldstench posted:

OK, so Hitman 3 looks like a fun time. It looks like it comes with Hitman 1. Is the Hitman 2 expansion pass worth buying? If so, should I get the Gold edition? What does it actually have that's different from the base 2 expansion?

The Standard edition Hitman 2 access pass gives you just the base Hitman 2 content, which is the majority of what's good there. The Hitman 2 Gold access pass gives you all of the base Hitman 2 levels + the 2 DLC maps and the 2 sniper assassin maps that were part of the DLC as well. And also some bonus missions that are pretty disappointing, especially compared to the bonus content Hitman 1 got, but hey it's some more stuff to do when you've done everything else to death.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Okay, I was mostly joking earlier but I've come to the conclusion that maybe I just don't know how the electrocution phone works. I thought you just had to put it on the floor when no one was looking and then a target picks it up? This in itself seems tricky due to witnesses and bodyguards, etc. but it works for some, just not others. It's definitely not a cheat button for me at the moment.

doctor iono posted:

pet peeve. if we're gonna start putting in actual dark souls style shortcuts, where the physical universe is affected by our previous playthroughs of the level...

why the gently caress isn't intel saved between attempts

This would be nice, also let us take wrenches and/or screwdrivers into a level!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Hedgehog Pie posted:

This would be nice, also let us take wrenches and/or screwdrivers into a level!

There's a wrench in the rewards for completing featured contracts.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I played Paris completely blind (no hud hints) tonight and had a great time for my first run. Dalia was tough though, even when I figured out the laptop and found the dongle I had to kinda cheese her bodyguard and reactivate the distraction. I feel like there was some element I was missing there. Oh well!

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Sharparoni posted:

The final level in 3, Carpathian Mountains, was very funny to me in a meta sense. Diana tells you to "embrace the past." Okay. Well, I guess embracing the past means the final level is just the Train level from Goldeneye. Which makes sense because IO has the Bond license now. And you overhear the guards talk about how it's an old Soviet missile train that used to be owned by Janus from the Hitman universe. Well, in Goldeneye it's also owned by a guy who goes by Janus. Who is played by Sean Bean. Who was an elusive target in Hitman 2. Good game, looking forward to replaying everything over and over.

Not gonna happen, but what an amazing foreshadow this would be to an IOI Goldeneye game :pray:

Gaz-L posted:

The Constant is a pretty good villain, at least.

I fell in love with his character - he's the perfect smug slimefuck antagonist, never loses his cool and is actually good at what he does, which makes him even more intimidating. I loved (H3M5) that Diana even admits they're outmatched insofar as finding him again goes. But his voice...that uncanny valley alien nature to his speech was just fantastic way to play that character. I was very happy (H3M6) they added a way to take him out without killing him, because if they ever pick up this series again and continue where they left off, his character and voice actor are like number two on my wishlist to return after Bateson.

(H3M6) Obviously wouldn't have worked with the story in 3, but had they done things differently, I would've loved to have had him as your handler for a mission, just to hear his thoughts on the world and his reactions to 47's shenanigans.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

thewizardofshoe posted:

The Standard edition Hitman 2 access pass gives you just the base Hitman 2 content, which is the majority of what's good there. The Hitman 2 Gold access pass gives you all of the base Hitman 2 levels + the 2 DLC maps and the 2 sniper assassin maps that were part of the DLC as well. And also some bonus missions that are pretty disappointing, especially compared to the bonus content Hitman 1 got, but hey it's some more stuff to do when you've done everything else to death.

Would you say the DLC maps are worth the extra scratch?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oldstench posted:

The 2 Hitman 2 DLC maps are really, really solid IMO. But the difference in price between them being $8 vs $20 means you're paying more than double for 2 more maps on top of the 5 from H2.

So, its just a question of how much Hitman you want. I would maybe start with H1 and H3 and see if you can catch H2 Gold on sale by the time you run out of things to do in 1&3 ?

Oldstench posted:

Would you say the DLC maps are worth the extra scratch?

I personally love them, and I think most people are pretty positive as well. One is a New York bank, the other is a beach resort in the Maldives.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Finished it. So the moral of the story is we need more responsibility in the Illuminati? Ok...

Anyways, going back for Sniper Assassin and I'm wondering how you get the one target in Chongqing to take her smoke break on the rooftop? I stumbled on her doing it by accident the first time through and got her that way, but it seems she mostly sticks underground?

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
its literally just more Hitman. like I would obviously say its worth the extra price, bc more Hitman levels are good, but proportionally it obviously isn't? they're real rear end full-fledged extra levels, but they're not necessarily any better than the rest (id argue the NYC bank is actually worst than the rest of H2, but Maldives is absolutely excellent)

the cost value equation is basically "how much do I like hitman, and how much do I need more levels to do hitman stuff in?" that's up to you buddy :)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

elf help book posted:

There's a wrench in the rewards for completing featured contracts.

Is there an in-game list for rewards like this? I don't have H3 and have been playing H2 for months, but a lot gets lost in the menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is there an in-game list for rewards like this? I don't have H3 and have been playing H2 for months, but a lot gets lost in the menus.

Check the mastery section iirc