Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I actually think Net+ is a decent cert if you have no experience with networking. Much better than A+. I've never taken Sec+ but I know it's not well-regarded, though it is apparently required for any DOD-adjacent gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Certs are what helped launch me out of help desk and definitely furthered my career. But no one is going to drop everything and give you a six figure job just because you got your CCNA or something.

So they'll help you advance some, maybe open up some more opportunities but you still have to do the work to learn and progress in whatever field you enter.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

guppy posted:

I actually think Net+ is a decent cert if you have no experience with networking. Much better than A+. I've never taken Sec+ but I know it's not well-regarded, though it is apparently required for any DOD-adjacent gig.

Yeah I agree with this. Understanding networking is a fundamental skill that too many people are bad at. The cert might not get you incredibly far, but the skillset sure as hell will. Ime, it’s a faster progressing and more interesting experience vs staying in the Windows landscape the whole time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Working on certs is a nice signal to hiring managers - not just that you're trained in networking or security or system administration or whatever, but that you're the sort of person who cares enough out their professional development and is motivated enough to improve themself as an employee to go out and get certificates. They aren't a substitute for work experience, but they are proof that you are someone interested in doing more than the bare minimum required to get by and keep a job.

Consider what a hiring manger sees when he looks at two resumes -
A: A+, 24 months on a help desk
B: A+, 18 months on a help desk, CCNA, MCSA, working on RHCSA

Sight unseen, person B comes across as the sort of person who is serious about learning and improving their IT skills (and organized and task-oriented enough to jump through all the hoops necessary to earn those certifications) and might be worth consideration for being tracked to supervisor status or even management.

Dudes with their A+ and some time as an L1 help desk tech are a dime a dozen. Dudes who have that and a track record of seeking out and passing higher-level certifications are not, and good hiring managers notice them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

As far as I can tell work experience and nepotism are probably the two most crucial factors in getting to an interview for outside of helpdesk. Outside of that, get certs/degrees until someone takes pity on ya.

edit:

guppy posted:

I think certs are widely panned in general, because being able to retain useless trivia for the span of about 3 hours doesn't equal aptitude to solve problems in a domain. For my money I think the OSCP is the only cert I've heard about that gives me pause if I heard someone got it. That and that really rare cisco cert that only like ten people have.

Not sure about the Net+ in general, but the Sec+ tested on some pretty arbitrary stuff that very few people are gonna be able to bark on command and fewer still will have any cause to need it.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 21, 2021

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The Cisco certs have lab questions which are ~not really about memorization and IIRC it's impossible to pass if you score perfectly but fail every lab. The RHCSA is similarly a lab-only exam, so it holds some weight in that regard.

They're worth pursuing, but in general I would rather see a single "deeper" cert (CCNA, MCSA, RHCSA) than a wide, but shallow, array of certs (Sec+, Net+, A+).

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 21, 2021

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

12 rats tied together posted:

The Cisco certs have lab questions which are ~not really about memorization and IIRC it's impossible to pass if you score perfectly but fail every lab. The RHCSA is similarly a lab-only exam, so it holds some weight in that regard.

They're worth pursuing, but in general I would rather see a single "deeper" cert (CCNA, MCSA, RHCSA) than a wide, but shallow, array of certs (Sec+, Net+, A+).

My memory may be failing me because it was like 6 years ago now but, my CCNA had "Lab" questions, in the sense that it had a series of questions that build on each other, so one wrong answer leads to another and another. That is why it's impossible to pass if you fail the "lab" parts, it just ends up as too many wrong answers on a test that requires a really high % to pass (800-850 out of 1000 total points, which on a small test means only a few wrong)

I feel like people are more impressed with my CCNA (in route switch) out of all my certs because it's generally considered to be a difficult test. Which is always funny to me because everything about the CCNA was extremely dated when I took it minus the things that generally don't change about IPv4 networking. I mean I had Frame Relay questions on mine.

TheFace fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 21, 2021

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Yeah I think we took the same CCNA (2013 for me) and I've experienced a similar effect -- one of my labs was a virtual terminal where I had to fix a config issue for RIP, fortunately I think I avoided any actual frame relay configuration and just had to answer some trivia questions about it instead.

A lot of questions were the same network diagram 5 times, maybe with a minor change each time, and yeah you would absolutely get every followup wrong after one mistake. I think it's a good test, in that way, and it definitely felt like I was just going through the published test criteria and demonstrating understanding of each item, even if some of the items on it were absolutely useless. :)

I understand that newer CCNAs no longer include RIP and frame relay and instead include some basic BGP which is a great call on Cisco's part.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Biowarfare posted:

I had a VM that originated from a Russian company that was set to English after-the-fact, but Russian was still partial display language. Like the "logging in" spinner after lockscreen was in Russian, the titles in the pins like "Recently added" were Russian, but everything else was in English

Yes, Windows is unbelievably bad at languages, but in this case it was installed from a German image, with English added later. There has never been a Russian on this machine, and it reported its version properly when it was running 1809, but now with 1909 it went Russian on us.

Just baffling.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I got passed over for an internal promotion from my current role (tier-3 service desk with a lot of SCCM work - setting up and deploying app packages, basic reports, PXE OSD task sequences, etc) for a Systems Administrator I role for an external candidate. Thought I had a good shot, but alas.

The manager had let me know the position was going to be posted a couple of months before it was, and told me when it was up so I would be sure to apply, so I was hopeful, but enough time passed after a good interview that I asked what was up. She was very gracious about explaining why they did go with the other candidate: they're in the middle of an extensive migration from VMWare to Nutanix and this person knows Nutanix whereas I hadn't heard of it before working here, and have not touched it. She said that in a year without that project on the horizon I probably would've been chosen, and that they really do want me on the Systems team, and hopefully they can create another position soon. And I believe her, but the end result is the same regardless.

I'm not especially eager to leave, but it's been two years and I've exceeded their expectations for my position and have been told as much on a regular basis, so I'm thinking very hard about it now even though I don't hold the decision against them. I'm 36 and I do not want to be doing service desk much longer, even though my pay is at or above most Sys Admin I postings I've seen in the area. That job title and the variety of work it entails has been a goal of mine for the last several years and I know I'm ready. I picked up a good amount of skills here but I can feel myself stagnating on autopilot lately, which is why I left my last position.

Thinking the start of a new year would be a good time to sprint for a few certs while casually looking for a new role. I like where I am so I'm not in a rush, but I'm definitely going to be on the lookout, whereas I was content to wait before.

So since I posted this (12/29/20):

- The person they supposedly picked has not started.
- The VMWare to Nutanix refresh project appears to have begun.
- I have been the key person in resolving something I don't feel comfortable talking about, but suffice it to say, REALLY seems like a job for a sysadmin.
- Have just been asked to be in a meeting with a sysadmin, the sysadmin team supervisor, and the section manager (so the two people who chose this non-existent person to fill the role over me) to "brainstorm" the project for deploying the feature update for Windows 10 that they're transitioning to.

The last one really made me livid. The make-up of that group, and how obviously someone with my job title stands out given who else is in it, was really the perfect cap on a week that has been very irritating (end of the loving Trump administration aside).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You’re looking for a new opportunity right?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They passed you up for that work. gently caress them, they just don't want to pay you more.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

You’re looking for a new opportunity right?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, I'm sure it'll take a while, and there's plenty of other aspects to my job that I like, so I'm not in that big of a rush, ranting aside. I am 95% WFH lately and it doesn't seem like most of the places around here offer the same. That alone is worth a significant amount of money to me.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 22, 2021

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
FWIW, I have an A+, Net+, and a CCNA, and several years of networking-specific experience. I can't say how a given employer will interpret any given certification, I can only tell you that I studied for and passed Network+ when I didn't have much industry experience and I thought it was valuable. Not specifically whether you passed the test or not, just that the information you're expected to know for it is useful, which is not something I can say about the A+. As I mentioned, I can't speak to the Sec+ except by reputation, because I haven't taken it.

As far as whether I'd rather see A+/Net+/Sec+ vs CCNA/MCSA/RHCSA, I see that as a false dichotomy. Of course a candidate with one of the latter certifications is going to be a more attractive candidate. Those certifications are much harder and much more involved. But for that exact reason, I would expect to see them on the resumes of people at different stages of their careers. I don't expect to see a lot of CCNAs without a couple years of networking experience, and if I did see someone with a CCNA and no experience, I would be a bit uncertain of their ability to perform in a real-world setting.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, I'm sure it'll take a while, and there's plenty of other aspects to my job that I like, so I'm not in that big of a rush, ranting aside. I am 95% WFH lately and it doesn't seem like most of the places around here offer the same. That alone is worth a significant amount of money to me.

Remember not to limit yourself to jobs in your local area. Tons of places are hiring 100% remote folks.

I think indeed has a remote filter now to help find those jobs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

- I have been the key person in resolving something I don't feel comfortable talking about, but suffice it to say, REALLY seems like a job for a sysadmin.
- Have just been asked to be in a meeting with a sysadmin, the sysadmin team supervisor, and the section manager (so the two people who chose this non-existent person to fill the role over me) to "brainstorm" the project for deploying the feature update for Windows 10 that they're transitioning to.

The last one really made me livid. The make-up of that group, and how obviously someone with my job title stands out given who else is in it, was really the perfect cap on a week that has been very irritating (end of the loving Trump administration aside).

You are irreplaceable. Who else will do your level of work for no title and low pay? You are the perfect tech employee.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

My hot take,

Volunteer as much as possible. Put as much effort as you are able into the Nutanix project without degrading your current responsibilities. When it's performance review time, go through everything you did bit by bit and hopefully get a massive raise or promotion. After all, why wouldn't you get one?

If they don't give you one then it's time to :sever: but you'll be leaving the company with Nutanix experience on your resume.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

You are irreplaceable. Who else will do your level of work for no title and low pay? You are the perfect tech employee.

Kind of a mean-spirited take, no? Or maybe it's just a tone on the Internet issue on my part.

I'll be talking to the manager about that invite tomorrow, and I wouldn't call what I make "low pay". That's actually one of the things I'm grappling with - most of the positions with the title/work I want pay less than I make now.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kind of a mean-spirited take, no? Or maybe it's just a tone on the Internet issue on my part.

Doesn't seem mean spirited, seems like a blunt telling of the truth.

As I read your story, You are a non-sysadmin about to be dragged into sys-admin work, for not sysadmin pay after your company decided you are not to be promoted/transitioned to it.

You are in essence what every jerk off manager type wants. A presumably competent dude, doing work above his pay grade.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea you really need to bring up to your manager that while you appreciate the opportunity to be working with the team and tech, you were explicitly denied the job that this work was for and that they stop bringing you into the meetings. It's rough but they made their decision and you need to stick up for yourself.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Defenestrategy posted:

Doesn't seem mean spirited, seems like a blunt telling of the truth.

As I read your story, You are a non-sysadmin about to be dragged into sys-admin work, for not sysadmin pay after your company decided you are not to be promoted/transitioned to it.

You are in essence what every jerk off manager type wants. A presumably competent dude, doing work above his pay grade.

I suppose. In fairness, the invite to that meeting probably came because the non-supervisory employee in the group likes working with me (and I know he pulled for me being part of the team), and not from either of the managers. Fairly likely it was a surprise to them. As far as the other project I've been involved in, I jumped on that because it was a critical thing that I knew the most about. I'll be pointing out that it's now at a point where it should be handed off to someone on that team and leave it at that.

I'll be talking to the manager soon and am not really one of those employees that lets themselves get walked over, I was mostly venting about two emergent things that had happened this week alone. I realize that I while venting I presented a snapshot of my week and made it sound like I was being abused, but I am really not. If this week is a sign of a pattern, then that's another story.

But again, yes, I am getting my ducks in a row to be able to jump on the right opportunity when it comes along.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I'll be talking to the manager about that invite tomorrow, and I wouldn't call what I make "low pay". That's actually one of the things I'm grappling with - most of the positions with the title/work I want pay less than I make now.

I am not trying to be mean, I am trying to be honest. I was you once upon a time. I was working well above my pay grade for little more than smiles and pats on the back. I too was trying to break into sysadmin when sysadmin stuff was king poo poo and I was doing a ton of the work for none of the pay. I once had people make me feel like I owed THEM for doing their computer janitor duties on my hands and knees begging.

Its going to sound silly and cliché, but Something Awful changed my loving life in 07 just by letting me know I was being a loving chump.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I agree that this is bullshit and they should go find a new job that appreciates them more, but they are not in a position to say no to doing the work. You can do that kind of thing when you're pretty senior, but I don't see that going well for him here.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

guppy posted:

I agree that this is bullshit and they should go find a new job that appreciates them more, but they are not in a position to say no to doing the work. You can do that kind of thing when you're pretty senior, but I don't see that going well for him here.

Covid times makes sticking up for yourself a little more dicey. In a more normal job market, you definitely should be sticking up for yourself this way. Its going to be rare for someone to give you something you don't ask for. Its going to be incredibly common for people to let you do important things for none of the benefit.

You should not accept higher responsibility for no gain for yourself. That is someone abusing your good faith.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

E: wrong thread.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I was in a similar position at my previous job, a poo poo-tier (aren’t they all?) family-owned MSP. It’s really demoralizing knowing that you are underpaid but feeling like you can’t do much about it. I was getting burned out doing helpdesk/field tech/system admin work constantly. And then I was also the only one who knew their lovely systems so I was always ‘on call’.

It took getting into an admin position at another company to stop feeling inadequate. My starting salary was a 50% increase over what I made at the old company after being there for 5 years. gently caress those guys.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

A quick look at indeed and I see a poo poo load of remote jobs that are help desk/it solutions. Granted they’re only like 50k a year. Just apply man. Worst they say no.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

If anything being laid off from a company on Monday said we were flush with cash to Friday where we laid off 30% of the company. Always be looking. You don’t owe them anything. Luckily I got laid off during covid money. The next 40% was laid off after covid money rant out.

In short. gently caress every ceo and take them for everything they’re worth whenever you can.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

jaegerx posted:

In short. gently caress every ceo and take them for everything they’re worth whenever you can.

:emptyquote:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The funny part is google was gonna buy us but we had too many customers in China and trump was pushing down on us to sever. So that was probably 40% of our income.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You worked for TikTok?!?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

You worked for TikTok?!?

No, but huwaie and chinese telecoms were our biggest customers.

e: also a little moba riot game kinda thing

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Guess the org:

quote:

Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Manage all IT request for the front office while providing excellent customer support.
Administer communication with third-party vendors when escalation is necessary.
Communicate and manage our relationship effectively with our MSP.
Run point on IT office inventory, hardware purchasing and shipping.
Support all new hire on-boarding and off-boarding procedures.
Administer our business applications including, but not limited to: Azure, Office 365, G Suite, Adobe, AWS, Active Directory, JAMF, Intune, PBX System
Ability to learn new software and solutions quickly
Provide end-user support for both PC and Mac computers.
Proactively monitor and secure the network
Perform regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedure.
Ability to plan, execute, and manage large IT-related projects

Required Experience & Qualifications:
3-5 years of relevant system administration work experience.
Must be able to work in a fast-paced and ambiguous environment; handle multiple tasks with the ability to reprioritize and shift priorities quickly.
Extensive experience with Microsoft Azure, Active Directory, Intune/autopilot experience a plus, MCSA certification a plus.
Extensive knowledge with strong understanding of network fundamentals including firewall, switch, DMZ, WAN, LAN, VPN, MPLS, CCNP/CCIE certifications a plus.
Working knowledge with Amazon Web Services.
Experience with scripting and automation tools.
Extensive knowledge with Apple devices, prior JAMF experience a plus.
Experience with implementing a security solution for protection of the network and endpoint devices.
Understanding of Storage Area Network concepts (ISCSI, SAN, NAS). Experience with Hypervisor, VX Rail, etc.
Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an expert ability to present and communicate new ideas and concepts.
Extremely organized and detail oriented, resourceful, quick learner and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
A high degree of personal integrity and consistently put the interests of the organization first.
Must be a fierce communicator and cross-organizational collaborator.

Working Conditions:
Minimal Travel (<10% travel): May be required to travel. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule inclusive of weekends, nights and holidays required.
This position may require the individual to have access to confidential records and information. To successfully perform this position, confidentiality of the information with which the individual has contact must be maintained.
Frequent bending, lifting up to 50 pounds, sitting, exposure to multiple external elements, extensive walking through the building including inclines and stairs.

Job Questions:

How did you hear about this job?

Are you currently legally authorized to work in the United States?

What are your salary expectations for this role?

The Seattle Kraken NHL expansion team.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

Guess the org:

not gonna lie, if i got a job at the spurs i'd do it for real cheap

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

You worked for TikTok?!?

I don’t know why you always want to fight me. The janitor poo poo was 4 years ago.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I don’t know why you always want to fight me. The janitor poo poo was 4 years ago.

I wasn't trying to start poo poo with you, I was just chatting. Sorry if that came across otherwise.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanatosian posted:

Guess the org:

And let me guess, you've got one junior tech under you who's been with the organization for ten years in the same role and no other headcount. Ever.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sports teams are pretty notorious for underpaying and overworking staff because you're working a job that everyone thinks they want to do and hoping you get some lottery ticket chance at becoming a GM or upper level decision maker.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

i can't think of nutanix as anything other than some kind of protein powder you mix into milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Sickening posted:

Both hilarious and true at the same time. Don't let yourselves get taken advantage of!

I got really pissed when you first posted about this because I thought they saw you as a resource on a spreadsheet. It's even worse than that. They have negative respect for you. If someone did this poo poo to me I'd be quitting on the spot just to test the boundaries of my worth to the organization. And if they let me walk, gently caress them.