Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I have to admit, the first four chapters of Higurashi 8 didn't do much for me, but...every single thing after it allows you to choose Fragments has had some insane detail that really recontextualizes things. I'm loving it.

e: seriously I keep swearing at my computer about every twenty minutes here as new details are unveiled, how the gently caress is there so much more to this than what was covered in the first sixteen-bajillion words of the first 7 episodes?!

e2: jesus it's like LOST except every mystery and weird thing seems to tie together at the end instead of being handwaved away. everyone's motivations are becoming so much more clear, in a series that I thought didn't leave much extra room for that to begin with

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

woodenchicken posted:

Speaking of Robotics Notes Elite, it's now, like, my favorite thing ever.

It was very... affecting on a completely different level from most mystery VNs where it's all murda murda and crazy plot twists, and very little effort to give any of it emotional weight, or give you some connection to it all. Here it's all simpler, more down-to-earth stuff, which nevertheless all lands just right. They pull off sad, they pull off scary surprisingly well, by coming up with things that are legit sad or threatening stuff that is actually threatening as opposed to, say, protagonist dying. It all just resonated with me so well, I couldn't help but nod yeah, that was messed up. While the characters, in fact, didn't spend much screen time dwelling on the drama and kept on trucking towards the next gut punch. Letting the situations speak for themselves. The story just GOES, it felt shorter than it actually was.
The ending I wasn't particularly looking forward to, it was building up to what it was gonna be right from the start, but it executed on it just about perfectly, a solid wrap-up. Because it doesn't "go" some outlandish "places" I can't say I'll be remembering it often, but I super appreciate a VN that is just a drat good read all the way through without relying on gimmicks.

Sorry about :words:, I don't usually feel the need to comment when I finish stuff, but this was an unusual experience.

I generally agree aside from the fact that I wasn't a huge fan of the very end (though I don't know how they could have done it any better without any fundamental changes to the plot*). One of my favorite aspects of it is that the sad/bad parts are legitimately very sad and bad. In particular the part where the robot falls on Subaru was impactful largely because it was the result of the kids legitimately loving up. Like, the fact that they felt actual guilt because of their own avoidable mistakes made it hit harder than if they had just irrationally blamed themselves for something (or been subjected to a tragedy outside of their control). Even Mizuka's death could sort of indirectly be attributed to Kai's actions (though in this case he's not really at fault in the same way the other kids were for the robot falling - it was just terrible luck that his actions lead to her going somewhere where her HUG could easily kill her).

In general I feel like Robotics;Notes main strengths are in the characters and specific events of its main plot rather than the details of its mysteries, and my complaints only really exist because the good aspects were as good as they were.

* my main issue is that neither "brainwashed Misaki" nor virtual Kimijima were particularly compelling villains and it seemed kind of inconsistent in how the brainwashing affects Misaki. While Steins;Gate also didn't have any particularly compelling villains, it had a final conflict that required the protagonist to essentially "solve a puzzle," while this one was just a straight-forward fight that bugged me in some ways. Specifically, it doesn't make sense to me that Misaki's humanoid mech would be slow enough for an even Slo-Mo-affected Yashio to counter it in his very slow robot without it also being slow enough for "ram the truck into it" to be a very simple option. This particularly bugged me when they drive the truck in front of Yashio's robot to protect him. Once she switched from the large robot to the smaller humanoid one, there were a number of other options involving normal vehicles for dealing with her, at least as long as you accept the premise that him hitting her is even possible to begin with.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the mystery plot is mostly just... there, but the nature of the events was such a great fit for the setting.

For as much as I was unimpressed with the presentation at first, they really end up doing that island justice - tons of landscapes, backgrounds that are actually much wider than the game screen, subtly showing just how much open space is everywhere. They also like to show how frequently you're one on one with the elements when you're living in a place like this, and the occasional weather weirdness highlights everything going to poo poo.
Nice example of atmosphere (heh) working to enhance the effect of the story.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Has anyone else had a chance to get into Abyss of the Sacrifice? I know it was released on PSP in japan a super long time ago, but a friend of mine just picked up the switch version and has been streaming it to me so we can enjoy it together, and it seems interesting so far. Sierra Adventure Game logic is strongly at play for the puzzles though.

I can't tell if I'm so invested because I'm legitimately interested, or if I'm just so starved for a story driven game that everything is good, or a bit of both. But I do want to see more.

Edit: Full disclosure, I haven't read the entire thread so if there was some discussion about that original japanese release (or if there's a fan translation) earlier, my bad.

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 21, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko Chapter 3 wild specultion follows

Time to get back into this. I remember almost nothing about what happened in the previous chapters, given that their was a delay between episodes I'm clearly reading this in the most intended of ways.
It strikes me early on that the very fact that Beatrice is hesitant to use a red truth to trap Battler proves she's deceiving us in some way. If the red truths must be true, whatever she says in them would have to align with the truth, so if she was talking truth she'd have no problem. But, if she was trying to pull the wool over our eyes than she needs her truth's to match both the "True" events and the events constructed in her scenarios. I do think the way the Red truth is set up is interesting by having an exact "truth" you need to construct your scenarios around that, which means the whole VN is set up masterfully to say that there is truth contained withing the games Battler is playing, but it's up to the reader to suss out what is the true truth and what is a fiction. I do think the game is leaning towards a sort of commentary that it's the people who matter not the actual mystery aspect, by playing the games battler is learning about his family, the servants, and the "guests" and what their responses to the scenarios they're put in would be. So to "Solve" the mystery you don't need to realize kanon shot them all with bullets made of ice, but rather find out what would drive a group of people on an isolated island to genocide themselves.

I did have a realization that battler not suspecting anyone on the island could mean that the Culprit is Battler himself, and beato is trying to get him to come to reject this revelation and embrace the witch theory cause it's less harmful to his psyche than the idea he went apeshit and killed everyone.

Ronove looks like the one guy from LOGH
Krauss kinda looks like Trunchit, was the author a fan? I guess i'll know if I see Reinhard or Yang Wen Li show up

Oh rosa killed beatrice. interesting

"It's true I killed Beatrice, but I am not her murderer" Everyone else in the game is in a christie novel and Rosa's off playing EYE Divine cybermancy.

So Beato says she was created by Kinzo and traped in a prison of flesh. I think I've talked about Homunculi before which would be applicable to what she says, but taking it more metaphorically it could be that she's his child right? He "Created" her in part and then kept her trapped in this mansion, Maria was using her witch fantasy's to deal with her abusive mother, when Beato is talking to battler she's clearly showing him something that makes her feel very vulnerable. but he is a bone headed prick and makes a joke, and she goes back to witchy mode.
I was watching some Future funk on the youtube, and one of the Anime's they showed was about some japanese noble who was rasing a daughter of his lover, and then he started sleeping with her. It looked pretty nice until some guy explained what the anime was about.

So If she's a deeply traumatized person whose coping with her abuse by becoming a witch, is it cause she was molested by Kinzo. Maybe he was keeping her locked up cause she reminded him of the White haired "witch" from the intro who was also named beatrice. Then he realizes he hosed up and allows the family confrence, and the game that he's playing with her is a chance for her to destroy him and his entire family, and escape with the gold. Which is like going to the golden land I guess.

I don't know how some of the people in this thread were managing a chapter a day, every time she appears I end up thinking for twenty minutes and typing for ten.

NGl battler is kinda a prick, dude show some sympathy

Beatrice: " Yeah it became unbearlble trapped in this cage, pursued by an old man, I fell into despair and took my own life

Battler: "Whoa like an out of body experince, what a trip"
C'mon dude you don't have to be sherlock to figure out this poo poo

Like between this, and the child abuse with maria at the train station where everyone just walks on a pretends to ignore it, I'm pretty drat sure the Author, whose name I should look up, is just taking a hammer to our skulls and beating us with it, screaming "Stop ignoring all this abuse and injustice just cause it's conveniet and you don't wanna rock the boat"

Okay maybe he get's it, but if she's saying her suicide is previous to the garden scene perhaps I need to reanalyze.

Okay the White haired Beatrice was courted by Kinzo, commits suicide, Red hair beatrice is modeled by kinzo to be a replacement, and she invents the witch persona to deal with the trauma. That's my theory for these five lines of text, can't wait to change it in five minutes.

Battler you loving prick.
Yeah maybe there was some hints in her telling you of her traumatic past, but you just go and joke about it. you deserve everything the Onee sama's do to you.

You made Beatrice sad, for this you must die.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 21, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wanna kick battlers rear end

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Baatura!!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Hey, Umineko took me like 14 months to finish so don't worry about it (although like 6 months of it was me not doing any reading)

Also it was fun reading your thoughts! For some things I was cackling about how right/wrong you were.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Alkarl posted:

Has anyone else had a chance to get into Abyss of the Sacrifice? I know it was released on PSP in japan a super long time ago, but a friend of mine just picked up the switch version and has been streaming it to me so we can enjoy it together, and it seems interesting so far. Sierra Adventure Game logic is strongly at play for the puzzles though.

I can't tell if I'm so invested because I'm legitimately interested, or if I'm just so starved for a story driven game that everything is good, or a bit of both. But I do want to see more.

Edit: Full disclosure, I haven't read the entire thread so if there was some discussion about that original japanese release (or if there's a fan translation) earlier, my bad.

played it, had fun, those puzzles certainly did range from 'entertaining' to 'that's some weird logic' to 'no one in the history of humanity would come up with that' though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umm this is pretty hosed up but it looks like...gently caress just read it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nictitating_membrane

Turns out seagulls can't cry, I can't believe I've been duped by this stupid game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

jesus christ that latest episode of the Higurashi anime what the gently caress

also, is st lucia the school (Umineko) battler’s sister is attending? E: it totally is, holy poo poo spoiling more because aaAAAHH it’s coalescing in a weird way

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 22, 2021

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Gaius Marius posted:

Turns out seagulls can't cry, I can't believe I've been duped by this stupid game.

For what it's worth, it's 'cry' as in 'producing a loud noise', not 'cry' as in 'shedding tears'.

e: Although looking it up, it could be an intentional wordplay that happens to work in both languages; the titles use only hiragana, which could be either: https://jisho.org/search/%E3%81%AA%E3%81%8F

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 22, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh thank god. I can rest easy reading this novel now knowing that the author would not deceive me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gaius Marius posted:

knowing that the author would not deceive me.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

lmao

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

For what it's worth, it's 'cry' as in 'producing a loud noise', not 'cry' as in 'shedding tears'.

Not joking, I figured it might actually be that, but I also figured the Witchs Riddle was gonna be some bullshit word game and I did not wanna sit my rear end on Jisho for hours trying to figure It out, So I banned myself from looking at any of the Japanese.

Umineko Chapter 3 Continued spoilers, Mass Guessing, and wild stream of consciousness "REvelations"

Okay battler theory is mostly the same as mine, So mine is probably wrong cause battler is an idiot

There's gonna be a part where Battler uses red text and it's gonna be sick
Man Ronove dropping red text like mad
The Wolves did it
Beatrice learned to pretend to be dead from the guys in freeside
There's some strangeness going on with using It's as the article, you could also classify dead in multiple ways. Beatrice the person is dead, beatrice the person entrapt by kinzo is dead, or perhaps the naivety of the person called beatrice died when she fell from the cliff. There wasn't actually anyone reliable to check if she still had a pulse or anything.

I wonder if there is something to her using the butterfly motif. Like she was a caterpillar, the kuwadorian was her cocoon, and rosa beaking through that is what metamorphosed her into being the witch beatrice.

There are no more than 18 humans on this rokkenjima
Okay thats suspect as hell, no more means there can be less, so some people could be masquerading, or some could be wholly fictional, I think I remeber thinking that Kinzo had already been dead at the start of the first game cause nobody actually interacted with him but natsuhi. Also why this Rokkenjima? Is it like that one anime with the apartments?

Nobody tell Kinzo about leap seconds, he'll lose his poo poo.

Kinzo reads tarot the same way my aunt does lol, just make up whatever suits you best
I never thought the chaos magic episode of Last podcast on the Left would be so pertinent to my japanese visual novel reading.

Oh yeah I forgot Shannon and George. I wish george could stay forgot.

The sound Kanon makes is less than rain hitting a puddle, Jesus it's almost like he isn't there. Maybe shannons making him up.
Kinzo pulls a johnny storm. Wasn't he playing chess at the opening of ep1? maybe 2?
Didn't a body get tossed in the furnace, is this some sort of metaphor of that.
Convenient for a corpse to be immolated, the best way of not being able to identify it

Hold up Kanon wants to know the ocean is blue like shannon. Shannon wants to experience a normal romance, the ocean metaphor. the last time we see captive beatrice is on the beach. This metaphor is getting mixed in the noggin, but is all this poo poo fake. Are the furniture in league and faking the massacre in order to escape Rokkenjima? The Captive Beatrice shares a lot of aspects with both Shannon and Kanon. I'm puling on a thread here but I don't know where it goes.

I was spoiled by the fights in muv luv, the fights here suck and I don't like wasting time on them when I could be reading ten paragraphs into a single line of text.

Yeah no wonder he could block her with his hand, I've seen how they draw hands in this game, he could've covered 80% of his body with that ham hand.

The seven stakes are like Beatrices aspects of her personality?

Oh poo poo Ominus latin chanting.

Ronove, what's his angle, why is he understanding of Genji

Okay so in this locked room with an unidentifiable corpse we've got a magic butler, a witch and the furniture. Genjji and Kanon are mentioned as not making a sound as they move. Shannon does make noise. Then they get there and there's a fight, longshot but maybe the Stakes are aspects of beatrice's personality. She was there. Shannon made noise so she was there. Nobody else had to be in the room but a corpse.

Okay wait thinking in real time. Beato was the one stringing Shannon along and then pulled the rug out from under her. I don't remember how or why. Shannon and Genji aren't there, or genji and ronove are the same person of a sort.

Okay literally stream of concussion right now. Shannon is Beatrice. She resented being furniture, decided to kill everyone during the conference, made the game up, but then George came along, gave her the ring, shes dissociating her roles as a servan/woman, and the massacring witch beatrice. The fight is her inner turmoil and ends with her yoloing it and deciding to kill everyone instead of getting outta dodge with georgre. The captive Beatrice did die on the beach and Shannon is using her supposed return to get Kinzo to get everyone ready for her game.

How old is shannon supposed to be, was she brought to the island as a replacement for kinzos beatrice and made to inhabit the role after the captive Beatrice died.

gently caress I stop reading for a second and Ronove kills Genji. If ronove is genji did he kill himself, or kill that personality.

I want the Stakes to leave I'm over them as characters
I completely forgot about the granny lol
Oh drat granny no sells the stakes, what a turnaround
Oh so granny is the white hair Beatrice. Okay She was the one who got Kinzo the gold, Little girl BEatrice was her child with kinzo, ????????, beatrice takes the name beatrice, she dies, another beatrice is raised in Kuwadorian, they die with rosa, Shannon becomes beatrice.

My theory is starting to have holes, or it's just beatrice all the way down

I'm with you Battler I also Don't got a clue whats goin on.
Oh Nameless witch yeets herself into the Metagame cool cool

To think all those lives lost on Rokkenjima because beatrice was bored, If only the internet could've been invented sooner so she could've just spent time shitposting instead.

Hey a typo 100 Merute tall
Author thinks Ballista are cannons apparently
If beatrice is making all this poo poo up she's a huge Chuuni
meter is spelt wrong again
It's a good thing this is set in the 80's or this chunni battle would be all Naruto and poo poo
Are they just playing loving chess
Tower rook, knight knight, spear Bishop, Hammer queen
Theyre playing chess
Tower for guarding that can be used once, she castled. Anyone ever made a recreation of this match

All this talk of beatrices true form
Mysterious I thought I was gonna get a reveal

New sprites goatmen are loving Jacked, I wanna hop on their program

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 22, 2021

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

won't remark on your accuracy but your commentary is hilarious lmao

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

jesus christ that latest episode of the Higurashi anime what the gently caress

Yeah, just for the record, if anyone's on the fence about watching the show I'd say skip it. I went in really excited, but after the most recent episode I actively dislike the show and am only continuing at this point to see if there's something that moves this up from 'terrible blemish on the franchise and creators' to 'kind of interesting despite the flaws/how hosed up it was.'

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Eh, I'm torn because on the one hand I really like the mystery so far, the animation and music are excellent, and it's not like it was honestly that far out of line for Higurashi....but on the other hand, reading about stuff - even with visceral descriptions - is a far cry from seeing and hearing it all. But even though I'm going to keep watching, and I genuinely am mostly enjoying it, it's not something I can recommend now just because of how incredibly hosed up that was.

And yet, the end of the episode really was compelling and I can't wait to see where it's going.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Shamelessly double-posting to say that the Ooishi scene at the police station in Higurashi 8 Ch 10 had me absolutely busting a gut laughing. The music was so perfect for the scene, too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Higu 8 has so many great payoffs and bits of much needed levity that feel so earned after everything you've gone through in 1-7.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Definitely, but having gone through most of it in the past two days or so, I wouldn't sell 8 short on trauma either. :(

The whole payoff is really incredible and intricate so far, finally understanding the whole(?) history leaves me genuinely in awe as to how someone would even go about writing something like this. I need to mainline Umineko next and only half because I want better context (meta-context? meta-meta-context?) for GOU

On the plus side I haven't had a single crash since I complained about it the other day. :shrug: Probably a witch.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the fragment section of 8, it's a really good way to explain all the finer details of the mystery.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I like the fragment section of 8, it's a really good way to explain all the finer details of the mystery.

It's seriously such a good way to do it. At first I was kind of dreading the whole retread, but it's just executed so well, it's really cool.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I’m maybe half way through Chapter 4 of Chaos;Child. First of all, it’s amazing how much better this is than Chaos; Head, which is the by far the worst VN I’ve played. The protagonist is no where near as annoying as Takumi was; most of the other characters have a personality, and I actually feel myself caring about happens to them.

A couple other things: Once again I feel like I missed something that should have been fairly obvious while playing one of these games. My guess is that Kurusu also possesses some kind of ability to see the future and she sees a bad end coming for Takuru. That would explain why she’s so frantic to get him to drop the case. I’m not sure why Kurusu would not simply tell him about this ability, but maybe a confession would lead to too many questions from Takuru about what really happened to his biological parents? The game has been vague about that so far.

There’s also a sense of dread building; I can’t shake the feeling that a *******Mayuri******** level mega twist is just around the corner.

Kunosato is my least favorite character so far. Makise Kurisu argued with people who teased her or acted like jerks; she was always nice to people who were nice to her. Kunosato is just flat out nasty to everyone for no apparent reason. I hope her character is better developed as the story progresses.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wonder if Somnium Files is the only Switch game to have motorboating.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I finally did it, I finally read to the end of Hig 8!

....The final TIPS from the post-game made me more intrigued about Higurashi GOU/NEW.

e: also the vocal version of the song at the end finally gave me something Shazam knew and I was able to pull up the Sound Collection Vol1 album from Apple Music, which is nice

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 23, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Nth-ing Paradise Killer, it's an absolutely stunning experience. The kind I wish I could erase my memory of so I could experience it for the first time again.
I've put about 4 hours into this and am pretty confounded by the whole thing. Went in expecting an Ace Attorney-esque "poke around gathering evidence/testimony to solve some murders" and instead I've been trying to hunt down an endless array of collectibles like it's Crackdown. The island is also extremely confusingly laid out and if I'm reading it right you have to spend the collectible currency to fast travel? WTF?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's a tonne of random poo poo to find everywhere but you don't need to sweep every massive apartment block to find everything in it. For the most part you should focus on talking to the characters and following up leads you have in your notebook (this will sometimes point you towards searching a specific area in detail).

Personally I found I could unlock the fast travel points as I found them, and once I got to a point in the investigation where I was wanting to teleport around I had more than enough blood to do so.

e: I would say the footbaths are worth spending the blood on if you find them though, those give you significant quality of life improvements

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 24, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The open world scavenger hunt does a very poor job IMO of communicating what you should be hunting for (foot baths, vending machines, Crimson) for plot and movement upgrades vs. what is seemingly purely flavor/cosmetic (the relics and music tapes as far as I could tell). I probably would have gone hours more without any of the movement upgrades if someone on a discord channel hadn't pointed out that the foot baths are your upgrade spots for some reason, which now I think I have all of them if there are only three total.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah for anyone playing, don't pay to fast travel, unless it's to places like the cell which are tough to get to. Use the foot baths to make navigation easier and buy drinks until you get the computer upgrade, then you can spend your bucks on fast travel points

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 24, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also while I am a pretty big tent VN person I feel this is stretching the definition of a VN real far lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah it's much more a walksim with significant VN elements, i think

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wouldn't regard it as a VN if not for the fact that the climax of the game is a long and uninterrupted VN segment.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Yeah I definitely wouldn't consider it a VN, but it came up here so I shared my thoughts after others had already clarified what kind of game it is

Part of the fun of the game is that you have total freedom to do what you want with no hand-holding, up to and including choosing when to start the trial. Sucks that it's turning out not to be your kind of experience Nate :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just wish it communicated better what you should be doing around the island that's not interviewing people, or otherwise just given you some of that stuff out of the gate. Like what would have been lost if you just had the mobility upgrades at the start or could use the fast travel points for free once you got to each one? I haven't even gotten deep enough in the story to comment on it at this point because the vast majority of the first 5 hours or so was wandering around the island completely lost, which hopefully will be less of a problem now that I've gotten those upgrades.

Also the voice acting is kind of...annoying? It's so offputting how pretty much every line a character says a stock phrase that rarely if ever actually matches what they're saying, and after a while I turned them off completely which resulted in far more natural conversations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The list of objectives in your notebook mostly tells you what you need to investigate story wise.

e: I think you get more from doing your interviews and investigating the crime scene (you will want to explore that carefully).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 24, 2021

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Also the voice acting is kind of...annoying? It's so offputting how pretty much every line a character says a stock phrase that rarely if ever actually matches what they're saying, and after a while I turned them off completely which resulted in far more natural conversations.

Nani the HELL!?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

gently caress me

God drat it, I was on fragment 34 of the Connecting Fragments for the secret ending/whatever of Hig 8 and the game loving crashed again, loving hell awsaoihdfpafeho;ipvaes;nlivasnl;di

e: finally got through it, that's a cute little bow on everything.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I finished Raging Loop, had a good time with it, though I didn't like how the story basically switched genres in the final stretch. It's really weird how the moment the game raises its stakes to their peak it just stops taking itself seriously. In a single scene, it goes from trying to express the horror of experiencing death hundreds of times and how that would completely break a person to the protagonist getting murdered for the lulz 50 times and it has absolutely no effect on him. Then your guy decides its time to enter the final loop, making a plan based on half a dozen assumptions, any one of which being incorrect would have meant his plan was completely hosed. Even then, everything comes together through a series of impossible to predict coincidences and characters just kind of dropping any part of their personalities that would have gotten in the way.

Also the final confrontation sucked rear end. I'm sorry, it's just complete garbage that the way everything is wrapped up is by you basically walking up to the guy in charge and saying "hey, this is kind of hosed up" and the man going "wait, really? gently caress, everybody pack it in, we're good guys now". I have no idea why the mundane conspiracy was even included. It adds nothing and takes forever to explain a part of the story that didn't matter and was accepted as part of the premise. It doesn't feel right that the writing repeatedly forces the point that if its possible for something to be done by humans, it had to have been done by humans, in a story where there are at least 4 gods doing clearly supernatural poo poo.

Final note: please stop having adult characters lusting after teenagers.

Despite all of that I did enjoy it, complaining about things just comes more naturally to me than talking about the parts I liked (the first 2/3 of the story).