Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

This was a fun read, although I had to google who the gently caress she is.

Edit:
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

how much trouble is this quotee in if identified?

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2021/01/21/national-guard-troops-vacate-capitol-461220

quote:

Thousands of National Guardsmen were forced to vacate congressional grounds on Thursday and are now taking their rest breaks outside and in nearby parking garages, after two weeks of sleepless nights protecting the nation’s capital in the wake of the violent Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol.

One unit, which had been resting in the Dirksen Senate Office building, was abruptly told to vacate the facility on Thursday, according to one Guardsman. The group was forced to rest in a nearby parking garage without internet reception, with just one electrical outlet, and one bathroom with two stalls for 5,000 troops, the person said.

“Yesterday dozens of senators and congressmen walked down our lines taking photos, shaking our hands and thanking us for our service. Within 24 hours, they had no further use for us and banished us to the corner of a parking garage. We feel incredibly betrayed,” the Guardsman said.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Depends on whether the quotee is an officer or not.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If that person is lower enlisted then it sounds like they are just learning how the military works.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Cry me a loving river, Dipshit Guardsman.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

bulletsponge13 posted:

Cry me a loving river, Dipshit Guardsman.

Yeah, I don't want to turn this into a contest of "who suffered more" but literally every single guardsman has spent time in shittier situations than being relegated to a parking garage. At least they ain't sleeping in the field.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"Don't talk to press" was probably in their inbrief.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

The private jet lady has determined that rather than realize she's dumb, bad, and participated in an insurrection, that it's instead time to fire up the grift machine.

UPDATE

https://twitter.com/dotjenna/status/1352444122540470273

That escalated.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

EBB posted:

"Don't talk to press" was probably in their inbrief.

Hell that was in my inbrief when I was stationed in England

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Little guardsman getting familiar with the bitter sting of the 3rd amendment

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Little guardsman getting familiar with the bitter sting of the 3rd amendment

https://twitter.com/jimamendments/status/1347602707746607104?s=20

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hekk posted:

Yeah, I don't want to turn this into a contest of "who suffered more" but literally every single guardsman has spent time in shittier situations than being relegated to a parking garage. At least they ain't sleeping in the field.

Same. Without any sort of dick waving, I can say that everybody has slept in worse places.

We all went to some sort of Basic.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
At least they have running water and aren't living out of a hole that they dug for weeks at a time

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

sort of like, they're actually learning

I'm cautiously optimistic. If "Dems tell McConnell to pound sand" becomes a constant headline when Senate is in session I'll think they've learned the lessons of the past.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Chest high jackshacks as far as the eye can see.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Looking at her Twitter and this one jumped out at me:

https://twitter.com/dotjenna/status/1352440824349544448?s=19

:magemage:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

"gently caress, for I have been undone"-every IT professional reading this.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BeefGazebo/status/1352458379877363713?s=20

gently caress Steve Miller and anyone from the past administration trying to be rehabbed into polite society. Side note: Pre-recorded call-in show was an absolutely fantastic Mr Show sketch

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mr show was amazing and completely going worth watching now

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/BeefGazebo/status/1352458379877363713?s=20

gently caress Steve Miller and anyone from the past administration trying to be rehabbed into polite society. Side note: Pre-recorded call-in show was an absolutely fantastic Mr Show sketch

If you're calling in TODAY, don't ask about pardons, which we talked about last week, which you would have had to call in two weeks ago for.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Oh no... Butch Bowers is representing Trump? I know him, and I don’t really know how to feel about that.

He’s a Colonel, and the Vice Wing Commander in the SCANG. He also is (was?) Nikki Haley’s personal lawyer. I’ve met him a few times, and even gotten drunk with him when he came to visit our squadron during our AT in 2019. He’s a really cool guy who dropped a *lot* of money on booze to throw us a party on our last night on AT, and spent most of the time pounding Bud Lites and talking about fishing with our NCO’s and junior enlisted.

I just hope he’s getting paid up front.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

mr show was amazing and completely going worth watching now

This is an evergreen post.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pkells posted:

I just hope he’s getting paid up front.

Anyone thinking about taking money from Trump at this point will get the amount they deserve.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

UPDATE

That escalated.

ManMythLegend posted:

Looking at her Twitter and this one jumped out at me:

:magemage:

Looks like these tweets were deleted. What were they?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

Looks like these tweets were deleted. What were they?

It was basically, “I don’t need the money, but people can donate to me to feel blessed” and then something like “GIVING TO ME MAKES THE NWO SAD”

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Sen Duckworth sorted out the guardsmen problem:

https://twitter.com/SenDuckworth/status/1352457560834658309
https://twitter.com/SenDuckworth/status/1352481893552431106

Kinda want a transcript of the conversation with Capitol Police.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Edit: https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/1352432418360188931

Related

https://store.bobbleheadhall.com/products/sandersinauguration

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1352342175070248969

Devin Stone did a video about the crimes the insurrectionists committed and their degree of self‐incrimination is wondrous to behold.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I am kind of torn. All of the crazy right being against masks has killed 400k+ americans but at the same time it is making it much easier to ID all of these idiots who stormed the capitol.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Davethulhu posted:

Sen Duckworth sorted out the guardsmen problem:

https://twitter.com/SenDuckworth/status/1352457560834658309
https://twitter.com/SenDuckworth/status/1352481893552431106

Kinda want a transcript of the conversation with Capitol Police.

That must have taken paint off the walls, Jesus.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That must have taken paint off the walls, Jesus.

Its fun to think that, but I expect it went something like,

"Hey, what's going on with the guard?"

"Huh? Oh good evening ma'am, the some document said that it lasts until Wednesday and its Thursday now."

"Yeah, but does that make sense?"

"Well no, not that you mention it, but I'm not the guy."

"OK, lemme speak to the guy"

... repeat 4 times ...

"Hi, this is the guy. Yes? Oh yeah, the original plan said X. Yeah, I guess thats not true any more. Well, we'll fix it, sorry."

We always want to make a big deal out of stuff but 95% of the time, its something banal like this. The effect of real life structures being a game of telephone where some order, usually well meaning, is transmuted through 15 intermediaries that has an outcome that the person giving the order couldn't see from their vantage point. And it is the hard work of a good leader, standing above the rest to observe a disfunction, and follow the crumbs until it gets fixed. It's difficult, time consuming, dispassionate, uninteresting work thats easy to walk past when you have something else you think is more important--probably 99 senators walked right past it. Its the kind of work that isnt just emotional response to wrongs but is tied to duty and comes from experience with duty. I have mad respect for Senator Duckworth for doing it, because that's the little poo poo right there that makes up the big poo poo.

It's a big part of what has been missing.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Congress Approves Waiver for Lloyd Austin to Serve as SECDEF

quote:

Some Republican lawmakers, including Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), have expressed regret about their 2017 votes to support a waiver for former Defense Secretary and retired Marine Corps general James Mattis.

That wasn't the source of the problem you sycophant.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That will be the catchphrase of Biden's entire term every time Republicans want to stonewall him: "Well, we did that for Trump and look how THAT turned out"

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if you're cold, they're cold.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

piL posted:

Its fun to think that, but I expect it went something like,

"Hey, what's going on with the guard?"

"Huh? Oh good evening ma'am, the some document said that it lasts until Wednesday and its Thursday now."

"Yeah, but does that make sense?"

"Well no, not that you mention it, but I'm not the guy."

"OK, lemme speak to the guy"

... repeat 4 times ...

"Hi, this is the guy. Yes? Oh yeah, the original plan said X. Yeah, I guess thats not true any more. Well, we'll fix it, sorry."

We always want to make a big deal out of stuff but 95% of the time, its something banal like this. The effect of real life structures being a game of telephone where some order, usually well meaning, is transmuted through 15 intermediaries that has an outcome that the person giving the order couldn't see from their vantage point. And it is the hard work of a good leader, standing above the rest to observe a disfunction, and follow the crumbs until it gets fixed. It's difficult, time consuming, dispassionate, uninteresting work thats easy to walk past when you have something else you think is more important--probably 99 senators walked right past it. Its the kind of work that isnt just emotional response to wrongs but is tied to duty and comes from experience with duty. I have mad respect for Senator Duckworth for doing it, because that's the little poo poo right there that makes up the big poo poo.

It's a big part of what has been missing.

Yeah, the wife and I were talking about similar things yesterday after the COVID briefing. It was reassuring that (1) there was a plan (Biden waved it around) (2) he stuck to the message without implying I should inject bleach or sunshine into my veins, science was welcomed, (3) he took action immediately with the executive orders.

Have we just been living with such poo poo leadership that the bare minimum looks amazing?

Hopefully, we see more of this, from everyone. Was this kind of thing always happening any Trump just drowned it out?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It wasn’t happening anywhere because the leadership at basically every level of the administration got hollowed out, hamstrung, or replaced with sycophants. Nobody was quietly working on a detailed response plan while Trump was bloviating.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
So do we update the dirt shirt now?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Melthir posted:

So do we update the dirt shirt now?

Only if it's Bidens head on a transam power sliding in front of the palm trees

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This would be good imo

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dems-new-bill-aims-to-bar-qanon-followers-from-security-clearances?ref=home

quote:

In an interview with the Daily Beast, a Florida Democratic lawmaker explained that her concerns over the invasion of the U.S. Capitol by right-wing extremists have led her to author a bill that will bar QAnon followers from receiving security clearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ that is good

Flikken posted:

Only if it's Bidens head on a transam power sliding in front of the palm trees

Biden has a corvette, so more like a stingray.