Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

clearly, the braves will sign Realmuto and then move d'Arnaud to LF.

I mean, how bad can he be out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Braves badly need pitching but I assume that they are relying on in-house guys for this year?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I mean, the rotation looks fine with fried/anderson/morton/smyly and wright, and hopefully will be getting Soroka back during the season, the bullpen is smith/martin/minter....and praying, yeah

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Braves badly need pitching but I assume that they are relying on in-house guys for this year?
Fried, Anderson, Morton, Smyly should be solidly in barring injury; then various contributions from the likes of Wilson, Wright, Weigel, Davidson, Muller (forget who of the latter have actually debuted already) until Soroka returns. I think Toussaint and Newcomb are done as starters but they're also there.

E:f;b

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/mattspiegel670/status/1352387286118313986?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol at the concern trolling over the "precedent" of letting voters change their vote before the tally has been revealed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who didn’t know who schilling was

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

euphronius posted:

This

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

My favorite part is that a lot of fans defended it on the grounds that okay yeah, maybe Quintana wasn't that fantastic overall for the Cubs, but his contract was so good that Theo had the flexibility to go out and sign Darvish!

...And then we salary dumped Darvish for some paper clips and a subway coupon that SD had in their pockets.

It's a worthless half-measure that doesn't really make anybody happy and also doesn't really address the problem of there being so many pitching changes late in game, ie Manfred.txt

For what it's worth, 2 of those prospects combined for 3.5MM in bonuses when they signed. I don't like where things are going, either, but the Cubs definitely got talent in return for Darvish. I say this probably more in defense of those 4 kids than any Cubs executive, as well as defense of my mental health.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

euphronius posted:

You have heard of the BBWAA right? They're mostly cantankerous old zealots, I'm amazed they even went to the Hall to rescind their votes for Schilling.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

Nobody, everybody who voted for him knows what he's about and figured they could spin it as "it's not the hall of character etc etc" but the coup attempt blew up and anybody who was part or in support it has reached a new level of toxic such that even lovely old white BBWAA guys figure it's probably best to distance from him.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Is it possible he got hit in the head with a line drive? i remember legit thinking he was cool way back in 2003. I just can't understand what happened.

Possibly many of us on this forum were online gamers back then and were completely fooled by this asshat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

chilihead posted:

Is it possible he got hit in the head with a line drive? i remember legit thinking he was cool way back in 2003. I just can't understand what happened.

Possibly many of us on this forum were online gamers back then and were completely fooled by this asshat.

Caught a bad case of Online

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

chilihead posted:

Nah, I remember seeing an ESPN thing on him and his family like right after he went to Boston detailing their work with ALS outreach and how one of their sons was diagnosed with Asperger's and the work they did to deal with that. From a fan perspective, he seemed like a decent enough dude until the Rhode Island stuff which in hindsight feels like small fuckin potatoes compared to what he's become in recent years.

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 22, 2021

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

I'm all for having The Baseball Hall of Famous Baseball Players and Moral People . But let's be honest, we need to remove about 80% of the people already in the hall then. Everyone with a previous domestic violence conviction, everyone that supported terrible wars, started businesses that hurt communities, etc etc. Like, Ty Cobb should be kicked out faster than this D&D dork and bad businessman should be put in.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

coronavirus posted:

this D&D dork and bad businessman
interesting way to describe an unapologetic white supremacist

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I'm not gonna argue that Ty Cobb was a good person. But saying as Cobb threw out a first pitch at a Detroit Stars game and said that Black players should be allowed to play professionally. I think it might actually be possible that Curt Schilling is the bigger racist. So like, yeah. gently caress him.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

gently caress Schilling, but he earned a spot in the hall. The character clause is dumb and applied unevenly. OTOH if you’re going to draw a line, supporting the overthrow of the US government is definitely on the other side of it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

chilihead posted:

Bloody sock nostalgia was a powerful thing for a ridiculously long time (and there are also a lot of fond memories of him wrecking poo poo for seven or eight innings in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series, until he melted down and then Randy Johnson came storming out of the bullpen in relief like a man utterly possessed and everyone watching was like "Oh, poo poo").

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I'm usually on board with the character clause being nonsense. Especially considering who it comes from. But uh... gently caress Schilling. If he is so important to baseball history that we just can't tell the story of the game without him then at least wait til he is dead to put him in so we don't have to listen to him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Johnny Bravo posted:

Nah, I remember seeing an ESPN thing on him and his family like right after he went to Boston detailing their work with ALS outreach and how one of their sons was diagnosed with Asperger's and the work they did to deal with that. From a fan perspective, he seemed like a decent enough dude until the Rhode Island stuff which in hindsight feels like small fuckin potatoes compared to what he's become in recent years.

It's either 38 Studios failing, his cancer, the way social media amplifies the worst in people, or some combination of all three that's to blame for his total lack of filter compared to his playing days.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm usually on board with the character clause being nonsense. Especially considering who it comes from.

Was it Landis? I always thought he pushed for it, and had it in my head it was Black Sox-related, but couldn’t find anything when I searched around just now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm usually on board with the character clause being nonsense. Especially considering who it comes from. But uh... gently caress Schilling. If he is so important to baseball history that we just can't tell the story of the game without him then at least wait til he is dead to put him in so we don't have to listen to him.
the BBWAA should just start themselves a new precedent, that "character clause" guys don't get in until after they're dead

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dinosaurs! posted:

gently caress Schilling, but he earned a spot in the hall. The character clause is dumb and applied unevenly. OTOH if you’re going to draw a line, supporting the overthrow of the US government is definitely on the other side of it.

I mean

Depends on what you want to replace it with lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

GalacticAcid posted:

I mean

Depends on what you want to replace it with lol

In this case it's a permanent Trump presidency so

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol yeah I get that but that’s different than saying in the abstract “supporting the overthrow of the US government” is bad

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol yeah I get that but that’s different than saying in the abstract “supporting the overthrow of the US government” is bad

Exactly. Trying to install a fascist regime should be what gets you disqualified. You're a commie, an anarchist, or really devoted to land back? I think we can find some wiggle room.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

bawfuls posted:

the BBWAA should just start themselves a new precedent, that "character clause" guys don't get in until after they're dead

This actually isn't a bad idea at all. Finally gives Bonds a path in considering his staggering stats.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Didn't it come out that all of the stuff about Cobb being racist was made up by a writer who was basically doing a con for publicity?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

more falafel please posted:

Didn't it come out that all of the stuff about Cobb being racist was made up by a writer who was basically doing a con for publicity?
Yep, and some verifiable evidence that was like basically woke about it when MLB integrated.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Nodoze posted:

Jackie Bradley Jr sucks, the only reason the red sox were able to carry his dead weight was the rest of the lineup hit the poo poo out of the ball

JBJ's been an average or better player (by WAA) every year since 2015. But go off.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Musgrove return is growing on me somewhat. Hudson Head seems good despite his absurd name

Nice little profile of him in the Post Gazette

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

more falafel please posted:

Yes. He did beat the poo poo out of a fan once, but it seems he was an equal-opportunity ball of rage.

That incident led to a hilarious game when Cobb's teammates went on strike to protest his suspension, so his coaches had 24 hours to round up most of a college baseball team to play in the MLB. They lost 24-2.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Was this posted?

https://twitter.com/kscitymonarchs/status/1352287086594973699?s=21

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

habeasdorkus posted:

JBJ's been an average or better player (by WAA) every year since 2015. But go off.

Yeah he looks good on WAA because it values his defense. He's not a bad defender but he can't hit for poo poo and the true value and accuracy of defensive metrics is still a mystery compared to what we actually know about offense.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Nodoze posted:

Yeah he looks good on WAA because it values his defense. He's not a bad defender but he can't hit for poo poo and the true value and accuracy of defensive metrics is still a mystery compared to what we actually know about offense.

I left out his oWAR because I was hoping you'd say that, actually.

oWAR by season:
2015: 1.4 (in 74 games)
2016: 4.3
2017: 2.0
2018: 2.0
2019: 2.0
2020: 1.6 (in 5 games)

Looking forward to you explaining how being a bit above average for his position means he "can't hit for poo poo."

The real knock on Bradley is that he's one of the streakiest players I've ever seen. Maybe you've only ever seen him play when he's in one of his regular "couldn't hit water if he fell off a boat" stretches, but he balances that out with 6 weeks a season where he absolutely pummels the ball.

E: JBJ is/was a personal favorite of mine on the Sox. He's not a great player, but he's a good complementary piece and will give you several highlight reel catches a season until age saps his defensive ability.

E2: VVV Yeah, he's not Springer unfortunately.

But while I have the edit box open, some selective endpoint cherry-picking of JBJ splits from bref game logs!
2015: From August 9 to September 7, .446/.489/.952 - after a .426 OPS in his first 70 PA. (only played in 70ish games this season)
2016: Had a .582 OPS on April 23rd, hit .415/.488/.783 for the next month, then a .752 OPS the rest of the way.
2017: Had a .537 OPS on May 14th, slashed .322/.413/.572 for the next 50 games, then had a .579 OPS the rest of the way. The sin qua non of a JBJ season. Worth 2 oWAR!
2018: Another rough start, wearing a .563 OPS on June 23, over the next 9 weeks hit .294/.350/.540, then managed a .743 OPS through the end of the year.
2019: Sitting at a .409 OPS on May 9, he raised his overall OPS by 340 points over the next 6 weeks by going .307/.404/.582. Managed to put together a .724 OPS the rest of the way mostly thanks to a second 5 week hot streak of .253/.368/.620 from August 10 to September 18.
2020: Covid Season JBJ squeezed his slow start and hot streak in, with a .520 OPS in his first 60 PA and then slashing .313/.400/.537 the rest of the way.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 22, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Springer is very streaky too

Except JBJ has been described as having a month where he hits the cover off the ball then he sucks the rest of the time whereas Springer has a similar period each season where he can't hit a beachball but the rest of the time is an absolute monster, especially in the playoffs

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

habeasdorkus posted:

E: JBJ is/was a personal favorite of mine on the Sox. He's not a great player, but he's a good complementary piece and will give you several highlight reel catches a season until age saps his defensive ability.

:hmmyes: JBJ owns. He also has an uncanny ability to crash into walls without getting hurt. The man is a defensive wizard, and one that I think will age gracefully because so much of his defensive prowess stems from his ability to read the ball off the bat. So as he slows down you could slide him over to a corner spot...though his bat would become even more of a liability if you did.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

The Musgrove return is growing on me somewhat. Hudson Head seems good despite his absurd name

Nice little profile of him in the Post Gazette

My baseball people love hudson head's bat. Thry keep saying hudson head, hudson head, hudson head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/justin_klugh/status/1352394428883886082