Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wow, didn't realize this would be a divisive issue! I truly appreciate that some people like them: this somehow makes me feel better and I will approach these missions with an open heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Zorah is a lot of scrambling around and waiting. I think it's a misfire. But I don't hate siege combat in MHW, and the missions in Iceborne that are more of a hybrid are a lot of fun imo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RE8 looks like a lovely outlast clone ):

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I can't believe they took combat out of Resident Evil and made it just another horror walking simulator

Edit: damnit lem you stole my joke inand put it in the other thread before I made it in this one

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

I can't believe they took combat out of Resident Evil and made it just another horror walking simulator

Edit: damnit lem you stole my joke inand put it in the other thread before I made it in this one

I've been hearing that dead horse for years now, I made the joke after the first teaser too because it didn't explicitly say you would get guns and fight things.

Of course Capcom said RE7 would have those things and goons still stood by Outlast clone until after launch

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

Zorah is a lot of scrambling around and waiting. I think it's a misfire. But I don't hate siege combat in MHW, and the missions in Iceborne that are more of a hybrid are a lot of fun imo.

Yeah, the main issue with Zorah is that it plain doesn't feel like the player is actually making a difference. The drat thing is too huge, and anything you hardly seems to have a tangible immediate effect outside of maybe making it flinch for a second. You very much get the feeling you could just sit on the sidelines not doing anything and things would play out basically the same.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the main issue with Zorah is that it plain doesn't feel like the player is actually making a difference. The drat thing is too huge, and anything you hardly seems to have a tangible immediate effect outside of maybe making it flinch for a second. You very much get the feeling you could just sit on the sidelines not doing anything and things would play out basically the same.

It's a pretty accurate feeling, at least for the story quest version. I went in with no idea what I was doing, and the commander was yelling at me over the intercom to shoot down rock pillars but I never actually managed to land one. A bit later "Nergigante has appeared!" and then I run round lost completely failing to find him until a bit later "Nergigante has hosed off!"

I think all that stuff just gives you some mats and reduces his HP a bit for the cannon phase?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah I like doing the big set piece fights...once. Like, they're cool and dramatic and oh poo poo how do you stop this thing?

But farming them absolutely sucks.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Black Mesa's Xen remake/reworking looks amazing and it's super ambitious...

...but boy loving howdy it just drags on and on. Like, I appreciate the effort that's gone into this but it'd be so much better if it was half the length. I'm running out of momentum fast before the final boss.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

verbal enema posted:

what the gently caress this is a crime that game whips rear end why woud u gently caress with the health pools!!!!

The EDF is a lot more aggressive in the remaster in general, I've noticed. I was getting tanks and gunships routinely sicced on me in Dust.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Necrothatcher posted:

Black Mesa's Xen remake/reworking looks amazing and it's super ambitious...

...but boy loving howdy it just drags on and on. Like, I appreciate the effort that's gone into this but it'd be so much better if it was half the length. I'm running out of momentum fast before the final boss.

yeah i felt the same. it's not even like any of it was bad. i enjoyed it... the pacing was just off. Xen itself was fine. Gonarch's Lair started to drag. Interloper really started to overstay its welcome.

At least Nihilanth picks up the momentum again. Awesome fight. Much more fun than the original

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pseudohog posted:

Also snakes which took off a third of your health no matter what level you were or how much armour you were wearing, which goes against all the other rpg mechanics.

Why would you fight the snakes? I just threw torches at them.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Why would you fight the snakes? I just threw torches at them.

That's what I did most of the time, yeah... but on the odd occasion when I wasn't paying attention and accidentally ran into striking range of two snakes, bam, there goes most of your health. Just felt strange compared to a bandit hitting you with a sword 10 times and doing a fraction of the damage.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

They're the wizards of the ancient Greek world, they can dish out the damage but they fold after one good hit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Glasssssssssssssss cannons

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:cedric: Kassandra, watch out! A poooisonooous snake!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sally posted:

yeah i felt the same. it's not even like any of it was bad. i enjoyed it... the pacing was just off. Xen itself was fine. Gonarch's Lair started to drag. Interloper really started to overstay its welcome.

At least Nihilanth picks up the momentum again. Awesome fight. Much more fun than the original

There was this weird stretch around the middle/late part of it where it's like they just...forgot to put enemies in? You spend a couple of hours clambering around alien factories without ever shooting a gun and it felt really out of place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They time-stretched the original game's Xen to make it full-game-length, basically. Everything in those chapters in HL1 is represented in Black Mesa, but writ large. Several segments of Black Mesa compressed or otherwise slimmed down chapters from the original game and it changed the pace a little to make it more action-y. Xen did the opposite, where it seems their apology for Xen taking so long to create was ironically to create an even longer Xen!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
On paper, wandering around the alien factory, solving puzzles, climbing through vents, and sabotaging their gear in a weird mirroring of Black Mesa sounds cool...

But the Vortigaunts mostly ignoring was lame and the design of the puzzles wasn't interesting enough for how long Interloper was imo.

The alien lab was a nice touch... missed opportunity for the devs to have made an alien version of the Questionable Ethics lab.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CJacobs posted:

They time-stretched the original game's Xen to make it full-game-length, basically. Everything in those chapters in HL1 is represented in Black Mesa, but writ large. Several segments of Black Mesa compressed or otherwise slimmed down chapters from the original game and it changed the pace a little to make it more action-y. Xen did the opposite, where it seems their apology for Xen taking so long to create was ironically to create an even longer Xen!

It's weird - I really prefer their slimmed down On a Rail to the original, but the Xen levels are just so drat bloated. If you had to do like two or three power cable connect-y puzzles it'd be fine, but there's about twenty of them. I'm over it.

Maybe I'll start a new mod project to update the 2012 graphics of Black Mesa to 2021 standards and fix Xen with a slimline redesign. Anyone want to do the wiki?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I recently got an xbox series x and I wanted a charging station so I bought one online from gamestop. I needed 5 more dollars for the free shipping so I thought about it and decided to buy Assassin's Creed: Rogue because I've never played it since I didn't have an xbox when it came out. I remember hearing good a lot of good things about it when it came out and I can see them but man the gameplay is rough after playing the newer Assassin's creeds (especially Origins and Odyssey).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

In Odyssey, I hit a weird leveling point in the final Atlantis DLC where the leaders at each base are suddenly just completely wrecking me. For whatever reason, I went from breezing through pretty much everything to rando captains killing me faster and more repeatedly than any boss ever has. And they show off the worst side of the DLC's new combat feature, just spamming their adrenaline-killing attacks left and right in a way that mostly just leaves me unable to heal or do anything much beyond base attacks. It's so weird, the DLC has been some of the most fun I've had, but all of a sudden I just have no desire to continue with that bullshit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you want a guaranteed IWIN button, respec for crit/crit damage at full health and Rush Assassinate. If you don't have any assassination gear then you can wear the Pirate Set along with the blade that gives you +1 to Rush Assassinate targets. You will annihilate everything.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: Flee the town, Henry! Get away! Don't try to fight! You're a simple village lad! Ruuuuuun!

Also Kingdom Come: Deliverance: Lock on to this soldier! Fight him! No, don't try looking away, I'll just make you lock on again! Fiiiiiight!

"Oh no, you died, why did you try to fight that guy you loving idiot?"

Even when I get on the horse, I die immediately. There definitely should have been a horse riding tutorial because I can't figure it out under this kind of pressure without being ripped apart. The camera keeps going nuts, is it still trying to make me lock on?

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Jan 23, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hot take but Smash making me unlock everyone kind of sucks. Just give me the roster so I can get right to playing as my boy Lucas

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I recently got an xbox series x and I wanted a charging station so I bought one online from gamestop. I needed 5 more dollars for the free shipping so I thought about it and decided to buy Assassin's Creed: Rogue because I've never played it since I didn't have an xbox when it came out. I remember hearing good a lot of good things about it when it came out and I can see them but man the gameplay is rough after playing the newer Assassin's creeds (especially Origins and Odyssey).

Compared to the newer ones, yeah it's not as polished. But it's not as bloated as 3 or Unity, to me it was kind of an expansion pack for 4 and it did that well enough.
As this is the dragging things down thread, I thought the enemy assassins were too predictable - any time you saw a well or large bush near a mission target, you could be sure there was someone lurking inside it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

How was AC Syndicate as a game? I've been so impressed with Revolutionary France, ancient Egypt and Greece, I would love to see what they did with Industrial Revolution London.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

NoneMoreNegative posted:

How was AC Syndicate as a game? I've been so impressed with Revolutionary France, ancient Egypt and Greece, I would love to see what they did with Industrial Revolution London.

Do you want a game that’s endlessly entertaining and nearly impossible to put down? A game where you swear you played it for ten minutes but in actuality its been 4 hours? Then play Raid: Shadow Legends. It’s the hot new game everyone is talking about. The sheer amount of customization, the near infinite amount of strategy, the mouth watering graphics. It’s pretty much impossible to find a game that’s going to give you as much value for your dollar as Raid: Shadow Legends.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Or waste your time with a 6/10 game like Syndicate, it’s your life.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
More like oldintegrityless

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It's not great, but I liked it. Evie is a great character and the setting is pretty fun.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
AC Syndicate is about as overhyped as AC Unity is bashed more than it deserves, and they’re both solidly “OK I guess”.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I hate falling in poo poo in games.

I started control today and I’ve died zero times from combat but I’ve already fallen to my death three times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That game's real bad about it too sadly, since some of the enemies are so vertically-oriented you spend a lot of the time pointing the camera up at them, meaning you can't see Jesse's legs or the ground. The game pushes really hard that standing still ever is a very bad idea so you're constantly shuffling around even though you can't really take time to look down at what you're stepping on.

edit:

And the weird thing is, Remedy themselves are responsible for probably the most common solution to this problem. They solved it on their very first try. Compare the camera positions of Max Payne 1:

and Control:

The problem's not really even the FOV so much as the height. Being above vs below head level changes the camera's pivot point a huge amount. Outside of combat the game goes to more of a Max Payne like above-the-head level, meaning looking upward takes less of Jesse off the screen, but as soon as you enter combat it lowers! I'm sure it makes aiming easier and the makes the combat more intimate and visceral but it has a real knock-on effect.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Jan 24, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AC Syndicate is the one of the finest games I've ever played, and by that I mean literally everything about it was "fine." It's never great, but never really terrible in any place either. The one thing it does exceptionally well is make 19th Century London look like an absolutely filthy place to live.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Syndicate is great if you enjoy the climby stabby bits of AC and don't like all the future crap and tailing missions.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

I hate falling in poo poo in games.

I started control today and I’ve died zero times from combat but I’ve already fallen to my death three times.

I seem to recall falling off the pixelbloodline cryingbabymaze in Max Payne a good few times as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sunswipe posted:

Syndicate is great if you enjoy the climby stabby bits of AC and don't like all the future crap and tailing missions.

Yeah it bundles most of the future stuff into the (very over-rated) WW1 section.

Sadly Shaun is still making GBS threads up the cutscenes and the codex entries.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah it bundles most of the future stuff into the (very over-rated) WW1 section.

Sadly Shaun is still making GBS threads up the cutscenes and the codex entries.

Did he ever turn out to be a Templar or anything? It's very dumb writing so I assumed they were going for 'rear end in a top hat=evil' morality systems by then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RareAcumen posted:

Did he ever turn out to be a Templar or anything? It's very dumb writing so I assumed they were going for 'rear end in a top hat=evil' morality systems by then

I've not played the recent games but I'm pretty sure he's always going to be an Assassin because he's generally seen as endearingly snarky rather than incredibly loving tedious.