Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lollontee posted:

i have never been accused of being a nazi

are you bragging or would you like to change that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

indigi posted:

are you bragging or would you like to change that

do we know each other? anyway, forgot to add the lol

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

lollontee posted:

i have never been accused of being a nazi

sounds like something a nazi would say

look you set this poo poo up im just following through

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
look, im just saying that im the kind of guy who never gets any weird questions regarding his music preferences, the lack of genocide related books in his library, or his flag collection. and definately never gets probated or banned for anything related to genocide, nationalism, genetics, ethnicitty, or any of that

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

lollontee posted:

look, im just saying that im the kind of guy who never gets any weird questions regarding his music preferences, the lack of genocide related books in his library, or his flag collection. and definately never gets probated or banned for anything related to genocide, nationalism, genetics, ethnicitty, or any of that

i mean i guess t shirts that have people asking questions that are clearly answered by your tshirt is your thing

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

what is that lenin line about how historical fighters/heros are all executed but then rehabilitated in safe form

THS
Sep 15, 2017

platzapS posted:

what is that lenin line about how historical fighters/heros are all executed but then rehabilitated in safe form

“During the lifetime of great revolutionaries, the oppressing classes constantly hounded them, received their theories with the most savage malice, the most furious hatred and the most unscrupulous campaigns of lies and slander. After their death, attempts are made to convert them into harmless icons, to canonize them, so to say, and to hallow their names to a certain extent for the “consolation” of the oppressed classes and with the object of duping the latter, while at the same time robbing the revolutionary theory of its substance, blunting its revolutionary edge and vulgarizing it”

from state and revolution

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
that lenin guy knows his stuff

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Finicums Wake posted:

ok i'll do that, thanks. i saw cool posts there about the difference between 'systems thinking' and materialist dialectics, and wanted to discuss them and so on

what were the posts

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

mila kunis posted:

what were the posts

idk if there was a subsequent discussion about it, but i think it was notes someone had taken on an article comparing dialectics and systems thinking with a link to the article. i'm almost certain the article in question was Dialectics and Systems Theory by Richard Levins

https://www.jstor.org/stable/40403729?seq=1

i have a hard time with some of the details of the article, but here's what i think it's getting at:

you have this guy, levins, who is marxist and accepts all that that theoretically entails (materialism, dialectical thinking, etc). but levins is also a practicing scientist (a biologist i gather), and accepts all that that entails. levins is told things from his colleagues in the academic sciences things like "now that systems theory exists, dialectics is obsolete at best, if not obscurantist." yet marxists he respects have warned him of conflating systems theory with dialectics, suggesting that systems theory incompletely captures what marx and marxists are doing methodologically. the essay is Levin trying to come to an even-handed analysis of what systems theory is and how it compares to (non-dogmatic) dialectical materialism

levins seems to portray 'systems thinking,' as a combination of two things: 1) the kinds of mathematical models developed by cyberneticians and operations researchers and economists during the world wars and after (philip mirowski's book on this called Machine Dreams: How Economics Became a Cyborg Science, is very good); and, 2) a vague, almost pre-theoretical awareness that things and processes are interconnected and interpenetrate eachother, which seems to have come from interest in ecology and the like

levins points out how these different mathematical models, in some cases, are able to capture more precisely what dialectics was always getting at. for example, the notion that quantitative shifts cause qualitative ones is captured by the modern notion of a phase shift, he claims. he points out ways in which these models are unable to capture other elements of dialectic thinking as well. but it seems to me the main difference is that 'systems thinking' is a loose assemblage of tools, and dialectics, as levins conceives it, is more like a critically self-conscious scientific research program, one which could deploy these 'systems thinking' models but is not reducible to them.

idk if that makes sense, i should re-read it and find the rhizzone posters comments about it

edit: my ultimate take-away from the paper was that these kind of modelling advances are something i should take seriously and try to learn about as a marxist, but that they don't displace the need for philosophy altogether

edit2: i found the post in question i was looking for:

https://rentry.co/33e6v

Finicums Wake fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 22, 2021

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

indigi posted:

something that’s really depressing about the fall of the ussr is that in 70 years the government apparently accomplished jack poo poo when it comes to instilling any sense of solidarity in the population (even within the individual nations/ethnicities) or a belief in/desire for communist/Marxist policies and ideals. like, other than the occasional “things were better under communism” poll. what a massive failure

China seems to be doing a better job of this (from my twice removed amateur armchair analyst perspective) but I couldn’t say for certain, and obviously they’re taking a less hardline stance when it comes to Marxism in general
afaik contemporaneously most people at the time wanted to keep the soviet union intact, and then when that fell, most did not want the neoliberal shock therapy and it required tanks firing into the parliament and massacre of civilians to enforce this

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Finicums Wake posted:

idk if there was a subsequent discussion about it, but i think it was notes someone had taken on an article comparing dialectics and systems thinking with a link to the article. i'm almost certain the article in question was Dialectics and Systems Theory by Richard Levins

https://www.jstor.org/stable/40403729?seq=1

i have a hard time with some of the details of the article, but here's what i think it's getting at:

you have this guy, levins, who is marxist and accepts all that that theoretically entails (materialism, dialectical thinking, etc). but levins is also a practicing scientist (a biologist i gather), and accepts all that that entails. levins is told things from his colleagues in the academic sciences things like "now that systems theory exists, dialectics is obsolete at best, if not obscurantist." yet marxists he respects have warned him of conflating systems theory with dialectics, suggesting that systems theory incompletely captures what marx and marxists are doing methodologically. the essay is Levin trying to come to an even-handed analysis of what systems theory is and how it compares to (non-dogmatic) dialectical materialism

levins seems to portray 'systems thinking,' as a combination of two things: 1) the kinds of mathematical models developed by cyberneticians and operations researchers and economists during the world wars and after (philip mirowski's book on this called Machine Dreams: How Economics Became a Cyborg Science, is very good); and, 2) a vague, almost pre-theoretical awareness that things and processes are interconnected and interpenetrate eachother, which seems to have come from interest in ecology and the like

levins points out how these different mathematical models, in some cases, are able to capture more precisely what dialectics was always getting at. for example, the notion that quantitative shifts cause qualitative ones is captured by the modern notion of a phase shift, he claims. he points out ways in which these models are unable to capture other elements of dialectic thinking as well. but it seems to me the main difference is that 'systems thinking' is a loose assemblage of tools, and dialectics, as levins conceives it, is more like a critically self-conscious scientific research program, one which could deploy these 'systems thinking' models but is not reducible to them.

idk if that makes sense, i should re-read it and find the rhizzone posters comments about it

edit: my ultimate take-away from the paper was that these kind of modelling advances are something i should take seriously and try to learn about as a marxist, but that they don't displace the need for philosophy altogether

edit2: i found the post in question i was looking for:

https://rentry.co/33e6v

https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674202832

i read this book while on an anti-evolutionary psychology kick a couple of years ago and found it really useful – it's a collection of essays by levins and fellow marxist scientist king richard lewontin.

full of quotes that slap too

this one is fun to go back to in a covid context :mrgw:

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

exmarx posted:

https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674202832

i read this book while on an anti-evolutionary psychology kick a couple of years ago and found it really useful – it's a collection of essays by levins and fellow marxist scientist king richard lewontin.

full of quotes that slap too

this one is fun to go back to in a covid context :mrgw:

i'll add it to my ever growing reading list. i always think it's cool to see particularly methodologically self-conscious practicing research scientists doing philosophy of science, and it seems like that collection is exactly that but with a marxist twist, so it should be right up my alley

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
p.s. if you need a rhizzone account contact twittwr user angel_sentbyGod

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Finicums Wake posted:

p.s. if you need a rhizzone account contact twittwr user angel_sentbyGod

That guy's got the best Twitter bio in the game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/YellowParenti/status/1352621628757311488

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

afaik contemporaneously most people at the time wanted to keep the soviet union intact, and then when that fell, most did not want the neoliberal shock therapy and it required tanks firing into the parliament and massacre of civilians to enforce this

wtf i hate tankies now

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

it was something like 79% for preservation, as well

I don't think the USSR failed in idealism in a basic sense because while the a substantial part of the nomenklatura was pretty much eh, as late as Chernobyl there was a revolutionary ethos coming from the people. They (the bureaucrats) thought the miners would have to be forced to be liquidators, and many were caught off guard that they ready and willing to sacrifice themselves. A friend of mine who is studying the story of the Union said that Chernobyl was sort of a flipping point for a chunk of people in the higher administration, ironically: that the revolution was correct in seeing these volunteers in droves to save their people and later on would oppose Gorbachev and the liberal-inclined with ire

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I don't think the USSR failed in idealism in a basic sense because while the a substantial part of the nomenklatura was pretty much eh, as late as Chernobyl there was a revolutionary ethos coming from the people. They (the bureaucrats) thought the miners would have to be forced to be liquidators, and many were caught off guard that they ready and willing to sacrifice themselves. A friend of mine who is studying the story of the Union said that Chernobyl was sort of a flipping point for a chunk of people in the higher administration, ironically: that the revolution was correct in seeing these volunteers in droves to save their people and later on would oppose Gorbachev and the liberal-inclined with ire

Man, that's depressing.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

dead gay comedy forums posted:

i apologize for my baby brain but i'm having a hard time parsing this sentence, so this whole paragraph is going over my head.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

indigi posted:

yeah but presumably this wasn’t the case in the 70s-80s in the Eastern Bloc

i dunno, i think all the stories of people desperately trying to pretend that everything was normal indicates they wanted it. i just don't think there was much people could do to keep it going, and hadn't been for a long time

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lollontee posted:

Your the kind of guy who has to preemptively deflect these accusations, which is telling in of itself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

God Hole posted:

i apologize for my baby brain but i'm having a hard time parsing this sentence, so this whole paragraph is going over my head.

as far as I can tell, what they're saying is that:

1. there was a strong sense of voluntarism and self-sacrifice and community even as late as Chernobyl, with workers being eager to render what is essentially free, life-threatening labor to try and help fight the crisis

2. the higher-ups saw this, and figured that this would mean that if Gorbachev tried his liberal reforms, that it would receive so much opposition from below that it would fail

3. that actually did happen, which is why the Russian Parliament had to be shelled by tanks and civilians had to be massacred in order for people to be cowed into going along with the dissolution with the USSR

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. there was a strong sense of voluntarism and self-sacrifice and community even as late as Chernobyl, with workers being eager to render what is essentially free, life-threatening labor to try and help fight the crisis

2. the higher-ups saw this, and figured that this would mean that if Gorbachev tried his liberal reforms, that it would receive so much opposition from below that it would fail

3. that actually did happen, which is why the Russian Parliament had to be shelled by tanks and civilians had to be massacred in order for people to be cowed into going along with the dissolution with the USSR

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

THS posted:

“During the lifetime of great revolutionaries, the oppressing classes constantly hounded them, received their theories with the most savage malice, the most furious hatred and the most unscrupulous campaigns of lies and slander. After their death, attempts are made to convert them into harmless icons, to canonize them, so to say, and to hallow their names to a certain extent for the “consolation” of the oppressed classes and with the object of duping the latter, while at the same time robbing the revolutionary theory of its substance, blunting its revolutionary edge and vulgarizing it”

from state and revolution

ty i was wanting a description of bernie "mittens" sanders and i got it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

makes you think

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lady Militant posted:

water is heavy and making enough of it go up to provide for plants is tricky, getting plants the light they need has been solved, it's mostly just agriculture has very low returns so using space set aside for high rise buildings for it probably won't happen under a returns/profit prioritized system because that "garden skyscraper" could be luxury apartments/condo investment vehicles.

generally very plant specific on what they grow as well only certain plants do well etc, also depending how they grow it can be just big test petri dish if bad poo poo gets in.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

i thought i saw a man brought to life
he was warm, he came around, he was dignified
he showed me what it was to fight

well you couldnt be that man i adored
you dont seem to know, seem to care, what your party's for
well i dont know him anymore

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

3. that actually did happen

it sounds like there wasn’t enough opposition from below to make it fail, and it in fact succeeded

Larry Parrish posted:

mi just don't think there was much people could do to keep it going, and hadn't been for a long time

if there was nothing the masses could do to save it that’s an even worse failure of the Soviet system imo

indigi fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 23, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

it sounds like there wasn’t enough opposition from below to make it fail, and it in fact succeeded

yeah sorry when I said "that actually did happen", I meant that people didn't like it and resisted, not that there was enough resistance to stop Gorbachev.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 23, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah sorry when I said "that actually did happen", I meant that people didn't like it and resisted, not that there was enough resistance to make stop Gorbachev.

ah I see

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Larry Parrish posted:

it's hard to buy the propaganda about evil stalin doing an imperialism when you realize that eastern Europe was a real piece of poo poo at the time

Stalin's biggest mistake was honoring his agreement to keep eastern bloc nations nominally independent rather than directly incoporating them into the USSR

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
apparently a contingent from the world socialist website showed up to the hunts point strike in the bronx this week to pass out pamphlets urging the workers NOT to unionize but instead to join the wsws's revolutionary workers' party. unfortunately the comprador labor aristocrats just chased the wsw people out

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Ferrinus posted:

apparently a contingent from the world socialist website showed up to the hunts point strike in the bronx this week to pass out pamphlets urging the workers NOT to unionize but instead to join the wsws's revolutionary workers' party. unfortunately the comprador labor aristocrats just chased the wsw people out

lmao

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Homeless Friend posted:

generally very plant specific on what they grow as well only certain plants do well etc, also depending how they grow it can be just big test petri dish if bad poo poo gets in.

depends on your setup, iv seen designs for ones that were able to use natural wind to replace constant ventilation on higher floors you'd need to avoid what your talking about.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Ferrinus posted:

Lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

Lmao

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

thanks for this, I wrote that post superfast and didn’t realize that I was in deep brain fog until later on

now came back to review it because of the quote and welp lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

most people in the soviet union wanted it to persist, it's just that there were no independent means of organizing for its existence outside of the party, which Gorbachev effectively destroyed. Civil-social groups in the USSR were always treated with kids gloves and more or less became transmission belts for party doctrine. The only groups capable of were associations of black market profiteers, managers, and disgruntled intelligentsia upset they couldn't live like Americans.