Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A lazy manipulator, insincere, two faced, likes to blame others and sucks up to the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ungulateman posted:

just move australia day to the first non-new year's monday of january in true 'maximising days off work' australian spirit

I like this thinking. Although I must say, having a bit of a holiday at the end of Jan can be a bit of a relief as it gives you something to look forward to when you get back to work after new years, and that's just about the time when things for a lot of work places, are starting to ramp back up again.

100% having it on a defined Monday in the summer though, and that would get more than a few extra votes on a referendum.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Tokamak posted:

I regret to inform you that Martina Navratilova is a not a fan of trans women in women's sports.

Of course :cripes:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tokamak posted:

I regret to inform you that Martina Navratilova is a not a fan of trans women in women's sports.

Sometimes that happens because there's a competitive advantage for a time after transitioning. It doesn't always have to do with being an actual transphobe.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Martina/status/1352280174176428032

we stan a terf queen

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why isn't the patient the priority

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

you can just say you hate trannies, it's okay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Would you slippery slope it the other way, and make an argument that a heterosexual woman has the right to not be X,Y,Z by a homosexual woman? Then you'd be sounding like Margaret Court.
Discrimination against one leads to discrimination against many.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Homora Gaykemi posted:

you can just say you hate trannies, it's okay

Another exceedingly normal homora gaykemi conclusion

Amoeba102 posted:

Would you slippery slope it the other way, and make an argument that a heterosexual woman has the right to not be X,Y,Z by a homosexual woman? Then you'd be sounding like Margaret Court.
Discrimination against one leads to discrimination against many.

It's really difficult because you can opt for a male or female doctor without discriminating. I'd figure patient comfort would be paramount in the traumatic situations listed there.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

JBP posted:

It's really difficult because you can opt for a male or female doctor without discriminating. I'd figure patient comfort would be paramount in the traumatic situations listed there.

implicit in this is you assuming trans women are "male", which is both wrong and transphobic

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Sorry, hard to avoid I guess :negative:

JBP posted:

Because they're probably an idiot. If you want to explain to us how the patient is going to accurately determine the gender of the medical worker, I can laugh at you and then explain why you're wrong, but whatever you say is probably going to (e: justifiably!) piss off Homora Gaykemi, so maybe you could watch this video or something, it might not be the most relevant but it might help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWVRzGMVXbM

*checks for more posts*

Breakfast Burrito posted:

implicit in this is you assuming trans women are "male", which is both wrong and transphobic
Yep, and coincidentally that's what the video above covers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm just talking about selecting male or female. I'm not entering the realm of anything other than patient comfort. If you have a doctor that has a personality you don't like that is also a reason to say no.

E: I'm a man so I don't care either way. I'll leave it to women to have strong opinions.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

JBP posted:

I'm just talking about selecting male or female. I'm not entering the realm of anything other than patient comfort. If you have a doctor that has a personality you don't like that is also a reason to say no.

yes and the position in the tweet you're defending states that if the patient selects "female doctor pls" and get a trans woman they have a right to feel aggrieved because they are "male" (which is again, both incorrect and transphobic)

or are you saying you are okay with a patient saying "no black/asian/gay/etc doctors please"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

yes and the position in the tweet you're defending states that if the patient selects "female doctor pls" and get a trans woman they have a right to feel aggrieved because they are "male" (which is again, both incorrect and transphobic)

or are you saying you are okay with a patient saying "no black/asian/etc doctors please"

If they're in one of the extreme cases listed I think you should just do what the patient says. They're not there for a check up

Like I don't reckon taking a rape victim to task over racism or whatever is the right thing to do

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 22, 2021

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

JBP posted:

I'd they're in one of the extreme cases listed I think you should just do what the patient says. They're not there for a check up

Like I don't reckon taking a rape victim to task over racism or whatever is the right thing to do

the tweet is talking about pap smears which all cervix havers should get pretty regularly past age 21 so yes, it is literally talking about a check up

Edit: actually I think 25 not 21

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

the tweet is talking about pap smears which all cervix havers should get pretty regularly past age 21 so yes, it is literally talking about a check up

The tweet is talking about rape kits and strip searches as well. I've never seen a surprise doctor for a checkup so I'm not sure what the story is there. You'd just select your doctor.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I would assume that people more or less already had the right to refuse service from a doctor they don't like, which (in elective procedures) just means "ok we can't help you then, cya later", so how would this work? Is the idea to make it mandatory for a medical institution to provide medical service by a licensed practitioner that satisfies every patient's personal preferences?

Like if I only want to be treated by a white ("that means no Irish thank you!!") married cishet 55 year old anti-abortion Qanon protestant from my same social class, what sort of medical institutions should be required to fulfill that need, and how should they be punished for failing to meet that need?

Or is it that they want people to be able to exercise their right to choose their doctor so long as it doesn't run afoul of any anti-prejudice legislation, and you don't think gender should be considered a valid prejudice -- or that trans people aren't legitimately of that gender, and you want this enshrined in law? Like how does this look in practice

The scenario being "I need a medical service", "Ok we have these people available to do that", "I don't want to be serviced by any of those people" -- what happens next?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

It's good how that tweet had a bunch of really different situations, ranging from pap smears which you tend to get from a doctor that you've chosen to go to yourself, to strip searches where I don't think you have all that much say in the matter. Is that an intentional choice to muddy the waters?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'd say for a rape kit or something you'd have to make an effort to make the patient comfortable but if they were getting an eye exam and suddenly said they don't want a trans doctor or an Asian you'd just tell them to get hosed and move up your next appointment.

Buttcoin purse posted:

It's good how that tweet had a bunch of really different situations, ranging from pap smears which you tend to get from a doctor that you've chosen to go to yourself, to strip searches where I don't think you have all that much say in the matter. Is that an intentional choice to muddy the waters?

Yeah "rape" really pulls the eye I feel like I'm being Q'd.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

JBP posted:

The tweet is talking about rape kits and strip searches as well. I've never seen a surprise doctor for a checkup so I'm not sure what the story is there. You'd just select your doctor.

the point is you're falling over yourself to defend a position that rests on "trans women are really men" which is hosed, so maybe rethink that bit of it yeah

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

yes because it is a classic terf tactic that they've recycled from old homophobia, seriously, just sub in lesbian doctor and I bet the exact same argument was made 30 years ago

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

the point is you're falling over yourself to defend a position that rests on "trans women are really men" which is hosed, so maybe rethink that bit of it yeah

I'm not meaning to be perceived as defending the tweet or drawing a line between cis and trans women. I do think I'm probably being duped into talking about it because it presents traumatic situations. This is why I don't twitter.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Sulla Faex posted:

I would assume that people more or less already had the right to refuse service from a doctor they don't like, which (in elective procedures) just means "ok we can't help you then, cya later", so how would this work? Is the idea to make it mandatory for a medical institution to provide medical service by a licensed practitioner that satisfies every patient's personal preferences?
Last I heard it was okay for every doctor in an entire town to refuse to help patients who want abortions, so no, I don't think there are any laws that protect the rights of patients in that way regardless of whether the patients are racist, transphobic, or, worst of all, :siren: not Christian :siren:.

:suicide:

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

JBP posted:

I'm not meaning to be perceived as defending the tweet or drawing a line between cis and trans women. I do think I'm probably being duped into talking about it because it presents traumatic situations. This is why I don't twitter.

all good - that's exactly why it's worded the way it is

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Buttcoin purse posted:

Last I heard it was okay for every doctor in an entire town to refuse to help patients who want abortions, so no, I don't think there are any laws that protect the rights of patients in that way regardless of whether the patients are racist, transphobic, or, worst of all, :siren: not Christian :siren:.

:suicide:

wait, really? which town?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If you'd like another reason to despise Court: while her homophobia is more well-known, equally damaging is her long-standing patronage of Drug Free Australia, a somebody-think-of-the-children "secular" lobby group (that just happens to have a board stacked with current or former pastors) which is probably the country's foremost anti-drugs lobby group and regularly gets invited by various state parliaments to have its views heard on issues like pill testing, injecting rooms, etc.

https://drugfree.org.au/construction/index.php/about-dfa/our-patron

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Sulla Faex posted:

wait, really? which town?

I thought it was some country town - Albury or nearby. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-15/women-in-regional-nsw-struggle-for-abortion-access/12643858 covers some of the stuff I remember reading, but it doesn't paint quite as bad a picture as I remember, so maybe I'm remembering wrong, apologies if so.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Wasnt an abortion really hard to get in Queensland for the longest time?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

I thought it was some country town - Albury or nearby. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-15/women-in-regional-nsw-struggle-for-abortion-access/12643858 covers some of the stuff I remember reading, but it doesn't paint quite as bad a picture as I remember, so maybe I'm remembering wrong, apologies if so.

Jesus loving christ I had completely forgotten that abortion was only decriminalised in NSW in 2019

What an absolutely garbage state/country. The war on women blazes ever on, hey

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

What utopian wonderland are they living in where a 14 year old girl gets to choose who strip searches them in public? Not NSW that's for sure.

Kumanjayi Langdon, a proud Warlpiri man, died of heart disease while lying on a concrete bench in a Darwin police watchhouse cell in May 2015. KL was drinking in a Darwin park when he was arrested by police under the Northern Territory's paperless arrest laws. It prompted the coroner, Greg Cavanagh, to recommend the repeal of paperless arrest laws and an independent investigation into alcohol misuse in the NT. Cavanagh said Langdon, "a sick middle-aged Aboriginal man, was treated like a criminal and incarcerated like a criminal; he died in a police cell which was built to house criminals … In my view, he was entitled to die as a free man."

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed, force used.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Sulla Faex posted:

Jesus loving christ I had completely forgotten that abortion was only decriminalised in NSW in 2019

Yeah I didn't know and was shocked by that when I read the article just before (so I guess it's not the one I read previously). WTF?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
in quite a few states up until very recently abortion was only accessible under provisions for health concerns, which were applied broadly enough to basically allow for abortion on demand, but still meant that it was often very difficult to access outside urban areas. qld fully decriminalised it in 2018, nsw in 2019, nt in 2017, south australia still hasn't but a reform bill is currently below the lower house and has already passed the upper house (no idea if it will pass though)

JBP posted:

Sometimes that happens because there's a competitive advantage for a time after transitioning. It doesn't always have to do with being an actual transphobe.
yes, which is why the policy for trans inclusion in sports is typically at least 1 year of hormones. the transphobia of martina (and many others) goes well beyond supporting a mandatory period of hrt before inclusion (which is totally reasonable imo) to advocating for a total ban on trans women in women's sport due to our irrevocable male advantages. she has been very vocal about this for years and said all sorts of transphobic things in the media.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cartoon posted:

What utopian wonderland are they living in where a 14 year old girl gets to choose who strip searches them in public? Not NSW that's for sure.

They get to choose between a waist high tent with two male officers watching and an aggressive police dog growling and trying to bite her, or no tent and four male officers watching and making lewd comments.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
:qq: WHY WON'T YOU TOLERATE MY INTOLERANCE :qq:

https://www.facebook.com/LammoMPP/posts/3620779584623905

Amazing it's been deleted, luckily I have a backup.

EDIT: Apparently he's now also getting hate mail from rich people being like "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M A BENIFICIARY" ahahaha eat poo poo.

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 23, 2021

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

yeah, nah

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

hooman posted:

:qq: WHY WON'T YOU TOLERATE MY INTOLERANCE :qq:

https://www.facebook.com/LammoMPP/posts/3620779584623905

Amazing it's been deleted, luckily I have a backup.

EDIT: Apparently he's now also getting hate mail from rich people being like "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M A BENIFICIARY" ahahaha eat poo poo.

Very confused about how younger, poorer people are complicit. The only way not to participate in the system is effectively to die or commit a crime and have the system punish you. Check out any of the micronations who "seceded" from Australia.

How are people without the ability to make a change to blame for systems put in place before they existed, that continue to exist. And somehow when we kick up a fuss to change the system, we should shut up because... we benefited?

I know Andrew Laming is an idiot, but why is he allowed to type this poo poo out?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Auspol Summer: But hang on.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Google says it will pull its search engine from Australia if it is forced to pay news publishers to host their content :rip:

So the reason why Morrison is so gung-ho about this is because of Murdoch yeah? I'm still not sure I understand what the issue is. If news articles surface via Google search people still click-through yeah?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Pile Of Garbage posted:

If news articles surface via Google search people still click-through yeah?

Well I hear that that lots of people only read the headlines, so maybe they're not actually clicking through? Maybe that's the problem, the headline is now the only valuable content the news organization has and Google are giving it away for free?

In any case I feel like it's much the same as if I called up the Yellow Pages and asked them to pay me for carrying an advertisement for my business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

the headline is now the only valuable content the news organization has and the newspapers are giving it away for free?
They can obscure the headlines from the search engine any time they like.