Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Dunno but the random loving skills they give you are insane. My Stealth/RPF Neptune captain had RPF removed and the four point secondary battery skill added.

Edit, also the bullshit of having the captain be specced for four different ship types but only being specialized in one is loving stupid.

There isn't a way to be specced for one tech tree dd, one tech tree CA, BB, etc, is there?

Weird thing to complain about since this is much, much better than how it was. At least now I can use my special commanders on far more ships than previously. eg I am spec'ing Halsey on Gearing but can use him on:
Gearing - DD build (I have no USN Premium DDs)
Saipan - CV build (and I will have FDR in the next week or two as well)
Alaska, Anchorage - CA build (which I suspect will be too different from Atlanta to run him there as well)
Massa, Georgia and Ohio - BB build

Thats a seriously big improvement. If you think that's stupid compared to previously well I don't know what to say.

This is regardless of the 21 points/new skills themselves. Thats a different argument entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Well for a lot of the same builds they now cost 21 points, which does suck, but I mean, it's a system that only benefits whales. Even as a whale...well...it just feels like a raw deal for casual players.

Halborn
Nov 8, 2020

So a brittle blade will shatter before it bends, so a brittle soul will break before it turns.
About the Santa Crates thing, Cyprus Advertising Regulation Organization has concluded it's investigation.

http://www.fed.org.cy/fed/userfiles/CBC6177_Wargaming_Decision_Public.pdf

Jury assessment at the end is quite interesting.

quote:

Given the above, the Jury find that the Santa gifts campaign as is, is in breach of articles 3b and 5a of the Cyprus Advertising Code and needs to be amended. It should be amended within 5 workingdays from the dispatch of this decision. Please note that, for the purpose of assessing the deadline, count begins the working day following the dispatch of this decision.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wdarkk posted:

So are there recommended builds up for things yet?

Seen this so far, obv work in progress

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1985UEEd0YFM7CGDJKVymI-TWyYjADKOd89rHdgx0mfE/edit?usp=sharing

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The new captain system certainly fits into the overall recent trend of reigning in the economy, which is of course to encourage whaling. Ducky_Shot from my clan posted this in our Discord yesterday during a discussion and I think it sums it up well:

quote:

Ducky 01/19/2021
they bloated the economy and I think some jobs changed hands about a year or 2 ago and since then, they have been pulling the economy way back

Ducky 01/19/2021
I'm pretty surte their main monetization guy and economy guy are new people

Ducky 01/19/2021
no, they introduced RB to get rid of FXP and credits. They eliminated free respecs at the beginning and ends of comp seasons. They introduced this rework to eliminate ECXP. They started selling signals for credits and are removing a lot of free signals from the game. They are removing a lot of the ways to earn Super Econ signals except in containers. They are removing ways to get the super econ camos, except in containers.
They are adding more ways to use dubs, but are giving out more free dubs. But I think its to get players conditioned to spending dubs and hopefully buying some here and there when they are slightly short

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
It feels like WG snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with these reworks.

The CV rework unnecessarily butchered AA and they missed the opportunity to sort out spotting mechanics.

Deadeye is (predictably) shaping up to be a disaster for the meta.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kXRGGnF3Ic

This guy won the big cash money tournament and is legit one of the best players I've seen play combined with a great ability to explain what hes doing.

TL;DR, the rework is bad for the game.

Other people have worked out that Deadeye is interacting really weirdly with the Russian BB gimmick so now the Kremlin has Slava accuracy at 18km and the Slava is, well its silly.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 21, 2021

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

serious gaylord posted:

This guy won the big cash money tournament and is legit one of the best players I've seen play combined with a great ability to explain what hes doing.

Pretty much every remotely big streamer I've seen has said basically the same. Most people don't seem to like the "camp the edge of the map and snipe with BBs" meta, and the commander changes kind of reinforce it.

I don't think I'm good enough at the game to have a real opinion but I tend to agree with that. I also feel stupid for going down the German BB line with the changes, although they buffed the secondaries for them at the last second so it may not be all bad.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Pretty much every remotely big streamer I've seen has said basically the same. Most people don't seem to like the "camp the edge of the map and snipe with BBs" meta, and the commander changes kind of reinforce it.

I don't think I'm good enough at the game to have a real opinion but I tend to agree with that. I also feel stupid for going down the German BB line with the changes, although they buffed the secondaries for them at the last second so it may not be all bad.

I unlocked the GK like 2 weeks ago so I was already mad but then kind of appeased with the changes to it. Its pretty much the same, however that doesnt mean anything now that no-one else is coming to fight you in your secondary range and you're getting hit with 70% of every battleship salvo. I'm also not good enough at the game to really think I know what im talking about but with the changes to the BB's and cruisers the game is going to get further spread out as no-one wants to close.

I hadn't even noticed the destroyer skill that gives the enemies a debuff to their dispersion for the first 15 seconds you get spotted. Theres no skill to hitting a destroyer there, just luck.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

Other people have worked out that Deadeye is interacting really weirdly with the Russian BB gimmick so now the Kremlin has Slava accuracy at 18km and the Slava is, well its silly.

It's also turned the Roma OP at tier 8

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What a poo poo show this is.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Might just park this game for a month and see what the various hotfixes do. Theres no way they can leave it like this, theres a revolt on their forums.

The Paolo Emilio cant use its smoke at full speed anymore, it outruns it. Lol

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 21, 2021

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

The Paolo Emilio cant use its smoke at full speed anymore, it outruns it. Lol

This at least sounds like a legitimate bug (assuming there wasn't some rework note about changing Italian smoke) rather than the normal "WG has no loving clue how their own game plays" that results in poo poo like the CV and skill reworks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lord Koth posted:

This at least sounds like a legitimate bug (assuming there wasn't some rework note about changing Italian smoke) rather than the normal "WG has no loving clue how their own game plays" that results in poo poo like the CV and skill reworks.

Its the new skill that makes you faster when you're undetected. It makes the Emilio faster than its smoke generator.

Its almost like they did next to no testing on these or something.

Exhibit B:

The only enhanced skill this Captain has for destroyers isn't usable on the current German destroyers.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 21, 2021

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Initial impressions are not great and it's exactly the poo poo-show that basically everyone who plays the game at a high level expected.

For BB captains in particular, you get the choice of being exactly as "survivable" as you were before at 19pnts but for 21pnts or you can be a lethal sniper that melts if you push in any way whatsoever. Those are your options. The secondary BB builds are... I really don't know. They look more impressive now, with secondaries firing all over the place, but the numbers are poo poo ( due to the nerfed accuracy) and any BB running deadeye just feasts on you. I love pushing in as a BB but these secondary builds give up even more survivability now.... which you need... ugh.

You can build for CA's fairly fine with 19pnts, I don't mind the reworked skills too much for them. CL's, as long as you're not chasing IFHE, as also kind of okay. What I find super hilarious are some of the changes to torpedo based destroyers, in particular the goddamn Asashio. You give up nothing and gain 20km superfast stealth torps with basically 100% flooding chance. Pop on top of that your constant speed boost for being so stealthy and yeah, I've played a few games and farming deadeye snipers with wave after wave of 20km supertorps is free real estate. I'm not sure removing the choice between range and speed for torp DD's was a good move.

I'm trying to get used to running without PT and it's hard. I'm thinking that maybe incoming fire can be a cheaper replacement but i'm just not used to it.

The bigger implications to all of this is that the real winners out of this are people, like myself, who have been playing since beta. If you've got unique commanders and a bunch of premium ships in a particular nation you are at a much greater advantage against newer players than before the patch. I've got a 21pnt Halsey now who I can slap onto Ohio, Des Moines, Anchorage, Alaska, Somers and Georgia without spending anything on reworking. My 21pnt Yamamoto can shift from Yamato, Musashi, Yahagi, ARP Myoko, Asashio, Kii etc etc etc and never require a respec. It's especially problematic with these special captains easily slotting on to overtuned T5's and stuff like the Giulio Cesare. This already kind of sucked, now it's more so. It took me 2 years to get my first 19pnt captains, I played fairly irregularly in the early days. I don't see how a new player gets to 21pnts without walking into the ocean out of frustration. And even if they do, you then want a bunch of premiums and a bunch of unique commanders.

Add to all of this, the game really needs indicators for what captain skills are active on your ship, and honestly, on enemy ships too. Having it be guesswork to whether the bloke I'm trying to fight has Dazzle or Deadeye or whatever running loving blows and removes player skill.

Pretty down on this game right now.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'll be honest, I think 90%+ of the problems with the rework would be solved if they swapped Deadeye with Top Grade Gunner from BBs to Cruisers and vice-versa.

I played exactly one game in a T10 BB yesterday and got a 6.5min Witherer, Arsonist, High Calibre, 235k dmg in Conqueror.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

serious gaylord posted:

Its the new skill that makes you faster when you're undetected. It makes the Emilio faster than its smoke generator.

Its almost like they did next to no testing on these or something.

From top to bottom this new skill rework just shows that WG are completely out of touch with the game. Yeah we did a rework that completely guts battleships' ability to brawl or close in with the enemy and instead the only way to play now is to sit at the A/J line and snipe.

What? What? What?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

From top to bottom this new skill rework just shows that WG are completely out of touch with the game. Yeah we did a rework that completely guts battleships' ability to brawl or close in with the enemy and instead the only way to play now is to sit at the A/J line and snipe.

What? What? What?

Yeah I’m already seeing the rework amplify all of the worst aspects of the game. All of the random battles I’ve played are just long lines of sniping battleships at the edges of the map and almost no close-in play at the caps. A lot of the new skills come-off like they were made by people who have never played the game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If you want to give Wargaming some feedback, you can do so here:

https://checkbox.wargaming.net/update_0.10.0.survey

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kaesarsosei posted:

I'll be honest, I think 90%+ of the problems with the rework would be solved if they swapped Deadeye with Top Grade Gunner from BBs to Cruisers and vice-versa.

I played exactly one game in a T10 BB yesterday and got a 6.5min Witherer, Arsonist, High Calibre, 235k dmg in Conqueror.

The WG forum has people posting screen shots of their thunderer games with 50%+ accuracy.

Good thing anyone wanting to push in battleships has to sacrifice survivability skills to get any benefit for doing so.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
OK, so how the gently caress am I supposed to respec all my ship captains? Is there a guide somewhere?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OK, so how the gently caress am I supposed to respec all my ship captains? Is there a guide somewhere?

You can do it from this page:
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/commander-skills-update/

Not sure why they didn't put it in the in-game UI but it's down at the bottom of that page.

Edit: Oh I just realized you might be asking for a build guide or something. I have no idea.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 22, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Fair play to Wargaming, they've fixed the issue of games being over in the first 5 minutes.

Because no-one is playing aggressively.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

serious gaylord posted:

Fair play to Wargaming, they've fixed the issue of games being over in the first 5 minutes.

Because no-one is playing aggressively.

Games are still over in 5 minutes, just now there is 10 minutes of damage farming before it ends.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
As a DD my games are over within 5 minutes regardless

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

As a DD my games are over within 5 minutes regardless

This is why I like the RN DD line. I can play hide and seek all game.

I may not do much other than spot and sometimes distract a stupid BB that decides to chase me around the perimeter of the map, but it's fun and I stay alive longer (until I gently caress up and get spotted in a bad spot).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The North Carolinas dispersion is really weird, almost no vertical dispersion with the deadeye skill, but plenty of horizontal.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

The North Carolinas dispersion is really weird, almost no vertical dispersion with the deadeye skill, but plenty of horizontal.

I have heard it's affecting vertical dispersion more. Is that why the Roma is getting such a huge benefit relative to other bbs?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Blindeye posted:

I have heard it's affecting vertical dispersion more. Is that why the Roma is getting such a huge benefit relative to other bbs?

It affects both vertical and horizontal equally. What is happening though, is that more BBs at T9-10 are taking range mod to increase their deadeye buffer, and thanks to the reverse engineering work done here: https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/l1dpzt/reverse_engineered_dispersion_ellipse_including/

We now know that the greater the max range of your ship, the less vertical dispersion you have at ALL ranges. So, a lot of ships are getting a "new" vertical dispersion buff because of the new modules you're taking

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

toadee posted:

It affects both vertical and horizontal equally. What is happening though, is that more BBs at T9-10 are taking range mod to increase their deadeye buffer, and thanks to the reverse engineering work done here: https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/l1dpzt/reverse_engineered_dispersion_ellipse_including/

We now know that the greater the max range of your ship, the less vertical dispersion you have at ALL ranges. So, a lot of ships are getting a "new" vertical dispersion buff because of the new modules you're taking

loving lmao. We are reaching peak weegee stupid poo poo now. Range mod kurfursts with spotter plane trying to snipe the 20km detection Henris running for the map edge.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That would explain why the NC is much more accurate than my other battleships since its got the furthers range.

Also I dunno about anywhere else, but theres currently 150 battleships in the queue every time i press battle.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Blindeye posted:

loving lmao. We are reaching peak weegee stupid poo poo now. Range mod kurfursts with spotter plane trying to snipe the 20km detection Henris running for the map edge.

No but also - range mod spotter plane GK gets better dispersion at 6km, by virtue of having more range. The maximum range of your guns factors into your vertical dispersion at ALL ranges. No matter what range, the higher your max range, the more accurate your shot is.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X2Nl9URKOM

I mean the GK looks quite playable here, just not how it was.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

serious gaylord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X2Nl9URKOM

I mean the GK looks quite playable here, just not how it was.

To me the issue is more that it needs to be played as a sniper, like every BB now. They effectively nerfed brawling battleships and reinforced edge-hugging sniping which is the least enjoyable style to play as or against.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

To me the issue is more that it needs to be played as a sniper, like every BB now. They effectively nerfed brawling battleships and reinforced edge-hugging sniping which is the least enjoyable style to play as or against.

Yeah I was actually having fun in ranked for once, then I went back to randoms and its really bad. As mainly a CA/BC player I was a struggling to even find anything to shoot at because 3/4 of the enemy team was hanging out at the edge of the map. Matches were ending with half of the losing team still alive and at almost full health. I feel like I need to run a range mod on my Yoshino (it already has a ridiculous 21km base range) just to be able to hit anything. Theses changes have amped up the worst aspects of the game to 11.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
navyfield blockfire is back baby!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Woodchip posted:

navyfield blockfire is back baby!

It's real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6eqUeXfXmU

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 23, 2021

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Speaking of Deadeye, flamu got word that the wording is inaccurate.

Deadeye isn't disabled by any visible ship in your base detection radius, but by any visible ship that would detect you; islands between your ship and a visible enemy ship do not disable Deadeye.

Unlike Radar, Deadeye obeys line of sight.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Evil_Greven posted:

Speaking of Deadeye, flamu got word that the wording is inaccurate.

Deadeye isn't disabled by any visible ship in your base detection radius, but by any visible ship that would detect you; islands between your ship and a visible enemy ship do not disable Deadeye.

Unlike Radar, Deadeye obeys line of sight.

Ok thats ridiculous.

So other than the fact that WG will wait months for *data* to prove that Deadeye is too good, how much do you think they will nerf it (7%? 5%?) and what awful excuse will they use to not all free respecs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
This is the ideal time to crank out snowflakes in coop tho.