Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The DPRK posted:

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1352575872352583680

Gutted ShaneMcGowansTeeth. Better luck with the next shipment.

quote:

Sergeant Gerry Boyle: You lads always announce seizure of drugs worth a street value at $10 million or $20 million or half a billion dollars. I wonder what street it is you're buying your cocaine on, because it's not the same street as I'm buying my cocaine on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
On the plus side, new cases are seriously falling now (though still high) and it looks like deaths are beginning to plateau. Fingers crossed we're past the peak of the second wave. Unless the government seriously manages to cock it up even more catastrophically than they already have, which I admit is a distinct possibility, I'm hoping the vaccination programme will prevent a third.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Still think if you CRISPR'd a common algae to produce cocaine you could do more damage to the cartels than a hundred thousand of these portside interdictions.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The vaccination programme is already falling to bits right?
Or at least the government are committed to only giving people half an effective dose

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

My cousins GF has it and he can't get a test while astmptomatic cause the NHS says that's waste.

World beating track and trace.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Communist Thoughts posted:

The vaccination programme is already falling to bits right?
Or at least the government are committed to only giving people half an effective dose

I think 'falling to bits' is pushing it a bit, but yeah they have cocked it up. Still, a partially protective vaccine amongst even a third to a half of the population or so will put a huge dent in the virus' ability to reproduce.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
What actually happens to the drugs when they seize a massive batch like that?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

peanut- posted:

What actually happens to the drugs when they seize a massive batch like that?

They will incinerate all 900kg of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The approved disposal method is up micheal gove's nose.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I imagine a significant portion of it ends up being 'safely disposed of' behind closed doors

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The 70kg has been intercepted, the 60kg has been seized, the 50kg arrived safely in the property store, the 40kg is being exhibited at court in a year's time, and the 30kg will then be incinerated

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They always mention cutting with various bulking agents during anti-drug programs, but never mention that this also works to get the correct weight in the sealed bags going to incineration.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

stev posted:

So you're saying my wedding can go ahead?

I guess you can take a chance

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm wondering what kind of idiot sends a metric ton of coke into Europe via a UK port in 2021.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ThomasPaine posted:

On the plus side, new cases are seriously falling now (though still high) and it looks like deaths are beginning to plateau. Fingers crossed we're past the peak of the second wave. Unless the government seriously manages to cock it up even more catastrophically than they already have, which I admit is a distinct possibility, I'm hoping the vaccination programme will prevent a third.

Agreed on the new cases (only 38,000 infected yesterday, awesome), but I dunno what death chart you're looking at

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Trin Tragula posted:

The 70kg has been intercepted, the 60kg has been seized, the 50kg arrived safely in the property store, the 40kg is being exhibited at court in a year's time, and the 30kg will then be incinerated

There was something like this in a (fiction) book I read / film I watched a number of years ago. The idea was that the cops would only book in some of the amount and keep the rest to sell, because who's going to stand in front of a judge and say "hold on, I was caught with 2kg of coke, not the 1kg I'm being charged with."

My cousins GF has it and he can't get a test while astmptomatic cause the NHS says that's waste.

World beating track and trace.

This is crazy, it must be controlled by local regions. I went for another cycle through greenwich naval college today and again got called over 'do you want a COVID test' and had one done at the NHS centre there.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Jolly good show by our brave lads on getting that coke safely off the streets where it could have ended up in the hands of horrible druggie scum who can't even appreciate good Colombian flake !!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I think 'falling to bits' is pushing it a bit, but yeah they have cocked it up. Still, a partially protective vaccine amongst even a third to a half of the population or so will put a huge dent in the virus' ability to reproduce.

yeah i was just quite suprised (somehow) by how they basically came out with that plan to intentionally cock up the vaccine immediately. like it wasn't even working for a moment they came out right away to say they were only giving people an untested lower dose

the reason is absolutely clear, so they can say bigger numbers on telly but the governments commitment to dangerous malpractice is impressive

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Gort posted:

Agreed on the new cases (only 38,000 infected yesterday, awesome), but I dunno what death chart you're looking at

This one here. Deaths are still very high but aren't rising at anything like the same rate that they were, and case numbers for obvious reasons tend to be reflected in deaths 2-4weeks down the line.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

I am very much of the opinion that this big spike was almost certainly produced by people deciding to meet up over Christmas/New Year.

yeah i was just quite suprised (somehow) by how they basically came out with that plan to intentionally cock up the vaccine immediately. like it wasn't even working for a moment they came out right away to say they were only giving people an untested lower dose

the reason is absolutely clear, so they can say bigger numbers on telly but the governments commitment to dangerous malpractice is impressive

I am not a scientist but as I understand it the Worst Case Scenario with the strategy of spacing out the vaccine dosages is it giving the virus time to adapt, and then we have a resistant strain on our hands. I don't know how likely that is though.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 22, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i hope theres no third/fourth/fifth wave but the UK is really gunning for years and years of this bullshit at the rate we're going

its one of those standard UK things where we just assume bad things wont happen cause its britain, while doing everything that could cause the bad things to happen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Red Oktober posted:

There was something like this in a (fiction) book I read / film I watched a number of years ago. The idea was that the cops would only book in some of the amount and keep the rest to sell, because who's going to stand in front of a judge and say "hold on, I was caught with 2kg of coke, not the 1kg I'm being charged with."

you're thinking of hit tv show The Shield

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Pictured: at it again

Lmao drat

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

This one here. Deaths are still very high but aren't rising at anything like the same rate that they were, and case numbers for obvious reasons tend to be reflected in deaths 2-4weeks down the line.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

I am very much of the opinion that this big spike was almost certainly produced by people deciding to meet up over Christmas/New Year.

I am not a scientist but as I understand it the Worst Case Scenario with the strategy of spacing out the vaccine dosages is it giving the virus time to adapt, and then we have a resistant strain on our hands. I don't know how likely that is though.

That chart looks to be quite out of date. On the daily summary page on the same site they have data for the 21st of January (1290 deaths) but the chart only goes to the 16th of January (1058 deaths)

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 22, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

My mum is getting her vaccine jab Monday. I don't think she has been out since this whole COVID thing has started she's so worried about it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Gort posted:

That chart looks to be quite out of date. On the daily summary page on the same site they have data for the 21st of January (1290 deaths) but the chart only goes to the 16th of January (1058 deaths)

oh yeah I missed that.

Still, cases going down will by definition lead to deaths going down in the near future, so I'm not unduly worried.

bessantj posted:

My mum is getting her vaccine jab Monday. I don't think she has been out since this whole COVID thing has started she's so worried about it.

My mum got hers the other day because she works in an NHS office (from home atm too) because the guys responsible for doling out the vaccines had a bunch of leftover doses somehow and ended up just putting an email out to all staff saying 'come get one if you want one by close today, first come first served', which isn't exactly a level of logistical coordination that fills me with confidence. Even so I'm glad she's got it, she has been panicking about the whole thing for months now (fair given she's in her 60s). She used to at least go out for walks but since this second spike I don't think she's left the house despite me telling her passing someone on a path outdoors in the local woods is astronomically low risk.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 22, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know if you say that the UK is just going to invent negative death entropy or something,.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

we just assume bad things wont happen cause its britain, while doing everything that could cause the bad things to happen
tory_manifesto.txt

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

Still, cases going down will by definition lead to deaths going down in the near future, so I'm not unduly worried.

You saying this worries me, since Boris is probably sat on a couch thinking, "Oh look, cases are going down, that means that deaths will go down soon, time to end the lockdown"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Gort posted:

You saying this worries me, since Boris is probably sat on a couch thinking, "Oh look, cases are going down, that means that deaths will go down soon, time to end the lockdown"

Yeah, I forget that while normal brain says 'cases are falling so maintain the lockdown until it is under control because something is working', Tory brain... goes in a different direction.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Amazon marketplace sellers have been told goods from GB to NI need customs declarations lol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55768788

can i take the united kingdom government to trading standards over the country's name

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

oh yeah I missed that.

My mum got hers the other day because she works in an NHS office (from home atm too) because the guys responsible for doling out the vaccines had a bunch of leftover doses somehow and ended up just putting an email out to all staff saying 'come get one if you want one by close today, first come first served', which isn't exactly a level of logistical coordination that fills me with confidence. Even so I'm glad she's got it, she has been panicking about the whole thing for months now (fair given she's in her 60s). She used to at least go out for walks but since this second spike I don't think she's left the house despite me telling her passing someone on a path outdoors in the local woods is astronomically low risk.

I'm glad your mum has had the jab. My mum is high risk, nearly 80 and has diabetes. She's getting a new fridge freezer Wednesday and was worried about letting the men in to install it for her.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I'm wondering what kind of idiot sends a metric ton of coke into Europe via a UK port in 2021.

Probably the safest time to do it, customs are so busy shuttling lorries all around Kent that they probably don't have much chance to do any actual inspecting.

Interesting that it was in a load of bananas, I always wondered if them and oranges, which are shipped in a protective atmosphere and so are really expensive to open up and inspect, were common ways of getting stuff through customs. I'm also really intrigued by the Transformers logo and wonder what the other, blurred-out wrappings are and why they were there when others were just in black bin liners - spare carrier bags from the Medellin shopping mall or what?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably the safest time to do it, customs are so busy shuttling lorries all around Kent that they probably don't have much chance to do any actual inspecting.

Interesting that it was in a load of bananas, I always wondered if them and oranges, which are shipped in a protective atmosphere and so are really expensive to open up and inspect, were common ways of getting stuff through customs. I'm also really intrigued by the Transformers logo and wonder what the other, blurred-out wrappings are and why they were there when others were just in black bin liners - spare carrier bags from the Medellin shopping mall or what?

Certainly more than meets the eye with that red one.

Never saw The Shield, so maybe it's a plot that's been used more than once.

VVVV that sounds familar.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 22, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

you're thinking of hit tv show The Shield

I've not seen The Shield but I recognise that plot, but also I think the crims might have broken into the evidence locker to steal back the remainder knowing the cops wouldn't dare prosecute over it because it wasn't booked in (it's possible I've got two different things conflated).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

wonder what the other, blurred-out wrappings are
The green bag looks like it says TWAT in huge letters, personal delivery to Whitehall maybe?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's not much of a data point, I know, but the amount of NHS Responder calls I've been getting have tailed right off this week, and there were only three ambulances (one of them non-emergency) queued up outside the Royal London A&E this morning, which is about normal for a weekday morning (two weeks ago I saw 14, which is apparently more ambulances than on the entire Isle of Wight).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've not seen The Shield but I recognise that plot, but also I think the crims might have broken into the evidence locker to steal back the remainder knowing the cops wouldn't dare prosecute over it because it wasn't booked in (it's possible I've got two different things conflated).

There's a bit in The Shield where one of the strike team's car is stolen after using it to store coke that they'd liberated from a crime scene. I don't think they stole the car for that reason though.

stev fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 22, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

i hope theres no third/fourth/fifth wave but the UK is really gunning for years and years of this bullshit at the rate we're going

It's going to keep happening as long as there is a Tory government.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Jedit posted:

The same kind that will send another metric ton next week, and the week after that

Wouldn't legalisation be nice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

It's going to keep happening as long as there is a Tory government.

Remarkable faith in Keith.