Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

AQAB

I think the quests are fine, it's nice to have a little objective sometimes on top of just running and gunning. I do like that jaeger clearly just hates PMCs and wants to give you jobs that will get you killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
gently caress quests

all my pmcs hate quests

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

This I mean legitimately out of pure sincerity: you don't actually have to do the quests. They can be ignored and you can still basically get most of the bitcoin rigs and such.

you kind of do actually have to do the quests though

you need rep to get trader levels

quests also give access to a number of highly desirable unlocks for the afforementioned traders

and while some of them can be worked around by things you do in the hideout, a decent number of the hideout upgrades also explicitly require certain trader levels

so you do absolutely need to engage with the quest system to a certain extent

which is fine, it's part of the game (and I actually like the structure they provide most of the time), but that does mean that a lot of the complaints about how they've structured the quests really do have a good deal of validity because it isn't really an "optional" part of the game

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

what's up with bitcoin, I got one from a mechanic quest burning a hole in my tactical pocket and flea market won't let me sell it?

edit: it would be appropriate if I couldn't turn it into real cash and had to trade it directly for guns and drugs

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pharmaskittle posted:

what's up with bitcoin, I got one from a mechanic quest burning a hole in my tactical pocket and flea market won't let me sell it?

they haven't been salable on flea for a long while, they were used for RMT because their high vendor prices (and correspondingly low list fees) meant they could be used to easily transfer millions between accounts

you can either barter trade them to mechanic, or if you're not a fan of what are currently insanely bad deals, sell them to therapist for a cool 400-500k (atm)

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Idk I’ve ended every wipe with a mid level Bitcoin rig and a hideout spitting out free money faster than I can spend it along with a huge stack of money. I’ve also never done any of the really annoying quests like the weird factory office kills one (even though I love factory) or some of the esoteric jaeger requirements.

Somewhere around level 25-30 you hit a point that you can basically run whatever gear you want, regardless of price, and do whatever you want.

You don’t really need to complete an annoying quest just so you can save 1k a round on ammo when you have like 30m roubles laying around, and the quests you need to complete to get to that point are moderately annoying at the worst.

I think the weird and annoying quests are good because they give you something to engage with once you’ve reached this point that isn’t just spending a bunch of time playing dress up with guns and armor and then shooting dudes (which is still really fun!)

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Money in this game is absolutely not hard to make, but I don't mind doing some of the quests. I think the game would get boring if it was just a kill match with money. I like the progression, getting access to stuff to relieve a little of the burden and the quests make for a different thing to focus on when playing. Some of the quests are admittedly bullshit, but they are basically achievements with in-game rewards. Not to mention i'd love to get the Kappa one day and quests get there. There isn't a right way to play Tarkov and for some people quests aren't something they want to spend time on if they only play a little bit. I can't imagine playing this game for a few hours a day and not going for quests, but that's just me.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Slumpy posted:

tying the real life price of bitcoin to a coin in game is kinda cool but if it results in loving up the economy maybe its time to fork and make tarkov coin

They should just adjust the coin farm rate with the cost of coins, so the passive income stays constant. loving up everything else in your hideout to nerf bitcoins is dumb.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I get that some of the quests seem like a brick wall, but I actually kind of appreciate that they force me to do get good and do poo poo I otherwise would avoid because I'm lazy.

I stuck at PvP so I avoid hot spots and factory. Except in order to do quests I need to kill pmcs in creative ways/locations. Gradually I get better at PvP and in having new fun. Murdering scavs and hunting found in raid items forces me to explore all of the maps and build my hideout. Jaeger makes me use all those pills and needles I ignore.

What I'm trying to say is that through quests I've discovered that my inventory management game has a first person shooter tacked on. I enjoy surprises like that.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I’d feel better about the quest system if it also included daily or weekly quests. Some way to give every map an objective to accomplish, aside from kill PMCs and take their stuff.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Cage Kicker posted:

Your entire justification for changing certain quests is "its annoying and I don't like it" are you surprised people don't find that valid or worthy? When did people go from "I need to get good at doing this annoying quest" to "the game is broken and needs to be fixed because I find advancement difficult"

gamer spotted

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The quests should be split into three categories imo:

1. Simple Progression quests that unlock stuff you basically need (m855a1 ammo etc). These should all be variations of killin' scavs or completing matches, with maybe some easy collection quests thrown in. Basically, you complete them by playing the game and extending yourself a little bit (for example, being forced to run other maps instead of chaining reserve)

2. QoL/Money saver quests. These can be some of the harder ones, like the dressup scav kills, the obscure/expensive items found in raid, basically every quest that requires a high level key. They unlock QoL benefits that help, but aren't mandatory. Stuff like attachments, guns, good trades, maybe hideout shortcuts etc

3. Big Dick Completionist quests. These are your "kill 10 scavs at 200 meters with a ppsh" bullshit hard quests. They should have excellent but ultimately unnecessary rewards like discounted labs keycards and poo poo like that

ultimately the biggest problems with the quest system right now is that a lot of it is heavily gated by RNG or is built to be specifically Not Fun, and while this might be a hot take when we're talking about EFT, games are ultimately supposed to be fun.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

I’d feel better about the quest system if it also included daily or weekly quests. Some way to give every map an objective to accomplish, aside from kill PMCs and take their stuff.

Yeah daily quests/challenges could be a good way to cause PvP friction on these huge maps.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I have been in a habit of being douchey on the internet lately and I apologize for being a loving gamer in a chill thread. WHAT I SHOULD HAVE SAID IS I can show you how/help you do a lot of the bullshit early quests until you get your feet under you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm starting to get a decent amount of dog tags saved up what's the best thing to spend them on? I've been eyeing the lucky scav case I already have 1 but a second would help with my hording.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Letting you trade for a UMP at level 1 mechanic but having no ammo or mags for sale is kind of a dick move.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

Probably when people came up with tedious quests and idiots mistook tedium for difficulty and their ability for being able to put up with tedium and banging their head on it till they get through it as "getting good".

u want to remove one of the very fun quests other people enjoy and are getting confused when your baby rage about losing is causing you to knee jerk about a relatively simple quest. you can either do this song and dance and get mad, and get annoyed, and never have fun doing this quest and have it come up every single wipe and make you frustrated and mad. or you can chill out and think about how to approach it in a way thats fun, use it to learn a playstyle or tactic you clearly currently do not have available, and turn it into not a big deal at all. if u want to just keep complaining and whinging instead thats your perogative but people are going to tell you youre stupid in response, so pick your poison.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Stux are you nikota? Just itt, just in the last day, you mentioned how much not fun you were having trying to brickwall or whatever a quest. Take your advice, but in the context of good posting.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

but i dont want the quest removed, its fun generally i was just not having any luck that day, so i put it aside and ill do it tomorrow probably. you see the subtle differences where when something annoys me i move on and do something else and come back with a fresh mindset, vs demanding the game be bent to my will.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sure, but a zen player approach doesn't imply good game design. Generally for progression quests a player should be able to progress. A lot of them should be in a category of achievements or challenges. The kill killa 100 times is a better design then the factory office quests.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i like the factory office quest, its fun. it is not some objectively wrong piece of game design. its someone getting frustrated with a quest that is personally challenging and instead of trying to work out a way to have fun with it theyve chosen to just moan instead bcos its a lot easier to convince yourself its the games fault than your own. the game is difficult, progression is difficult, this is by design and why the game is good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you play with your bros and 5 man is it even possible?

That is just objectively not good design. Change the map, change the quest, change party mechanics but as long as quests are more important than WoW kill bear asses they should be able to be done by any normal play.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i play entirely solo lol

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Does anyone else basically play pistol runs only? I usually go in with a pistol and a good tactical rig/helm/headset. No backpack most of the time. My favorite extracts are the ones like hole in the fence on Interchange and sewers on Reserve. I like to go in, pop some heads and get out in about 10 minutes. The really long runs full of camping just get more bored very easily. Granted, the pistols I run are usually very expensive, like a 5-7 with silencer and red dot, but a very expensive pistol usually only runs 75k. Then it gives me room to pick up a couple weapons, fill up my rig with loot and bounce.

I'm sure there are people that do pistol runs, but i'm curious if anyone else almost solely does them. I have plenty of money and can afford whatever I want, but I like being able to go in with only about 300k-400k committed to my loadout and not worrying if I die super early.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Pistol, bank robber, army sling. Upgrade as you find new stuff and take one weapon you find and any armor/rigs/bags into the next raid. Insure anything particularly fun you find and keep for later/sell the rest. Supplement with scav runs on interchange mashing my face into the OLI back offices for sweet computer parts/the great loot thats always on the shelves.

Basically sometimes I decide Tarkov is a roguelike and it’s super fun and actually forces me to both consider the fights I pick more and be more aggressive when I do.

E: I know its chump change but I’ve made about 3m roubles in the last couple days doing this and for my current level/skillset that’s a lot.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

ShowTime posted:

Does anyone else basically play pistol runs only? I usually go in with a pistol and a good tactical rig/helm/headset. No backpack most of the time. My favorite extracts are the ones like hole in the fence on Interchange and sewers on Reserve. I like to go in, pop some heads and get out in about 10 minutes. The really long runs full of camping just get more bored very easily. Granted, the pistols I run are usually very expensive, like a 5-7 with silencer and red dot, but a very expensive pistol usually only runs 75k. Then it gives me room to pick up a couple weapons, fill up my rig with loot and bounce.

I'm sure there are people that do pistol runs, but i'm curious if anyone else almost solely does them. I have plenty of money and can afford whatever I want, but I like being able to go in with only about 300k-400k committed to my loadout and not worrying if I die super early.

you could cut your cost by a lot by just using a glock with AP and no mods

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Slumpy posted:

you could cut your cost by a lot by just using a glock with AP and no mods

Glock iron sights are pretty drat good.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Pistol, bank robber, army sling. Upgrade as you find new stuff and take one weapon you find and any armor/rigs/bags into the next raid. Insure anything particularly fun you find and keep for later/sell the rest. Supplement with scav runs on interchange mashing my face into the OLI back offices for sweet computer parts/the great loot thats always on the shelves.

Basically sometimes I decide Tarkov is a roguelike and it’s super fun and actually forces me to both consider the fights I pick more and be more aggressive when I do.

E: I know its chump change but I’ve made about 3m roubles in the last couple days doing this and for my current level/skillset that’s a lot.

Roguelites being my favorite game type are probably where I derive this enjoyment from. I love zero to hero runs.

I could just use a glock like others have said but the 5-7 is still pretty cheap and I just enjoy it. It's one of my favorite weapons for sure. I'm currently sitting at around 20mil liquid and have to spend my money somewhere.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Stux posted:

i like the factory office quest, its fun. it is not some objectively wrong piece of game design. its someone getting frustrated with a quest that is personally challenging and instead of trying to work out a way to have fun with it theyve chosen to just moan instead bcos its a lot easier to convince yourself its the games fault than your own. the game is difficult, progression is difficult, this is by design and why the game is good.

So given how much you embrace "difficulty".

Are you going to craft that ledx for quest turn in - or will you go do 50 runs of shoreline or Interchange to get a FIR one?

Only moaners like me will take the easy way of crafting it.

If you like the challenging and difficult gameplay, you owe it to yourself to fight over a potential rare spawn over and over only to find the spawns empty. Think about the sense of achivement you'll have when you actually get a FIR ledx instead of how hollow I'll feel when I craft one instead!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

My buddy has been stuck on the Jaegar quest to get two cans of beef. He can’t upgrade his hideout any further because everything requires vent upgrade which requires jaegar rep, and the only quest he has to get that rep requires RNG to shine on him.
That is absolute garbage design, and it’s only getting worse as they add more loot to the game the loot tables get larger and finding specific items gets even harder.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

My buddy has been stuck on the Jaegar quest to get two cans of beef. He can’t upgrade his hideout any further because everything requires vent upgrade which requires jaegar rep, and the only quest he has to get that rep requires RNG to shine on him.
That is absolute garbage design, and it’s only getting worse as they add more loot to the game the loot tables get larger and finding specific items gets even harder.

They've been adding a ton of crafts lately so that this doesn't happen. I feel him though, I was stuck on croutons for the first 2 weeks and couldn't upgrade my h/o cause of it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

The grocery store in the mall got me a ton.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

They should unironically add a KEK tape + 3 small beefs = 1 large beefs recipe or something.

They've done a really good job with hideout crafting being able to create FIR quest turnins. I think that's some of the best changes yet.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

That one held me up for quite a while. Scavving and PMCing on Reserve and hitting the kitchen and ration crates eventually got it for me.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

OMFG YOU CAN CRAFT ONE NOW

That explains why powerbanks were selling for stupid money this morning lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

So given how much you embrace "difficulty".

Are you going to craft that ledx for quest turn in - or will you go do 50 runs of shoreline or Interchange to get a FIR one?

Only moaners like me will take the easy way of crafting it.

If you like the challenging and difficult gameplay, you owe it to yourself to fight over a potential rare spawn over and over only to find the spawns empty. Think about the sense of achivement you'll have when you actually get a FIR ledx instead of how hollow I'll feel when I craft one instead!

i already have one

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah daily quests/challenges could be a good way to cause PvP friction on these huge maps.

Sure, but also everyone doesn't have to have the same daily/weekly - have a pool that get randomly assigned every reset.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bucnasti posted:

You get access to "The Tarkov Shooter" questline when you complete Gunsmith Part 5 (so, level 17) which gives you an out on the initial quest which loving sucks and I also haven't finished yet for the same reason.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

FileNotFound posted:

They should unironically add a KEK tape + 3 small beefs = 1 large beefs recipe or something.

I've also been stuck on this quest since the beginning and I would love a crafting recipe for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i think i got mine going through the like 50 food crates now all over woods, somehow woods is good for food now maybe actually better than going interchange lol