Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

someone get Sven an account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
n

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

~he had to SAVE lives and could do more in position of being quiet~~

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's called working within the system to bring change.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its weird how much Fauci clearly sucks but no one thinks so. it makes me feel insane. he said not to wear a mask until like June 2020 and caused maybe 100,000 more people to die b/c of exponential growth

he was also in charge of the AIDS pandemic in the 80s

he is a colossal failure and his career has been to fail more than any other country

he should have resigned or been removed, gently caress

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Antonymous posted:

its weird how much Fauci clearly sucks but no one thinks so. it makes me feel insane. he said not to wear a mask until like June 2020 and caused maybe 100,000 more people to die b/c of exponential growth

he was also in charge of the AIDS pandemic in the 80s

he is a colossal failure and his career has been to fail more than any other country

he should have resigned or been removed, gently caress

yeah same it’s maddening

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
well you see if he'd told people to wear a mask then Trump would have fired him and replaced him with James Woods, which would have been worse because James Woods would have told people not wear a mask... which uhhh.....

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gradenko_2000 posted:

well you see if he'd told people to wear a mask then Trump would have fired him and replaced him with James Woods, which would have been worse because James Woods would have told people not wear a mask... which uhhh.....

the variant ive heard is “he eventually asked people to wear masks when he learned new information. that’s how science works”

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

fart simpson posted:

the variant ive heard is “he eventually asked people to wear masks when he learned new information. that’s how science works”
yah but then you can hit them with the fauci video of him literally saying he specifically lied knowing masks were better for safety

then you go :negative: when your audience agrees with fauci anyways

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also staying 8 hours a day in crowded enclosures with masks on with exploding community spread is still exponential spread

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also i feel stupid b/c i naively believed the cdc and did think masks didnt help that much early in the pandemic based on their claims lmao it's done absolute real world damage with fauci and cdc officials intentionally lying about this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

also i feel stupid b/c i naively believed the cdc and did think masks didnt help that much early in the pandemic based on their claims lmao it's done absolute real world damage with fauci and cdc officials intentionally lying about this

I still think about how we had a volcanic eruption in late January 2020 and there were masks abound for everyone to use. My company gave me a free N95. AN N95! just so I could wear it on the commute to work.

and then it's late February and the messaging is

"don't wear a mask because if you touch the mask and then touch your face you're really only hurting yourself"
or
"don't wear a mask if you're not sick because the health workers need those and there's not enough to go around"

and it's March and I'm still getting into arguments with my sister, who is a med student, who is telling me I shouldn't be wearing a mask because the authorities said so

just a lot of cracks and pings all around

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I had several friends who saw me wearing a mask and told me not to

but even though I didn't know if it would protect me 'because I would touch my face more' it obviously helped to protect others if I had a respiratory disease, which is the point of mandating their wear

america hosed up the messaging so bad and 'protect others - wear a mask' would have worked on basically 3 Americans given our bloodthirsty nature and disregard for human life

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

eventually you would run out of senior people and then you would have to have people under the age of 60 in a senior position, and that is simply untenable

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

https://twitter.com/twiggerstorm/status/1352372518846402560?s=19

https://twitter.com/BobBaird13/status/1352377052381523971?s=19

Oh my god

Anyway this is right

https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1352572978953908232?s=19

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yah but then you can hit them with the fauci video of him literally saying he specifically lied knowing masks were better for safety

then you go :negative: when your audience agrees with fauci anyways

yep

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he was just doing the best he could!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

It's called Operation Paperclip, OP.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1352602737700200448?s=19

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1352603725811101697?s=19

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1352604017571082243?s=19

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1352604687099428865?s=19

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1352606628294619136?s=19

I love the graphs. So beautiful. Number so elegant.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Something about thousands of robinhood retail investors throwing themselves into the GameStop fire in order to own pro wall street shorts is very funny to me

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Beached Whale posted:

Something about thousands of robinhood retail investors throwing themselves into the GameStop fire in order to own pro wall street shorts is very funny to me

that ongoing story is loving hilarious, the "do robinhood meme traders/retail investors really have that power" discussion keeps getting relitigated in cspam over and over with an ever angrier cadre insisting there's no way it's anything other than institutional money affecting number but on the other hand a subreddit is crowdfunding a short squeeze and loving over institutional money bigly lmao

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

FAUXTON posted:

that ongoing story is loving hilarious, the "do robinhood meme traders/retail investors really have that power" discussion keeps getting relitigated in cspam over and over with an ever angrier cadre insisting there's no way it's anything other than institutional money affecting number but on the other hand a subreddit is crowdfunding a short squeeze and loving over institutional money bigly lmao

I think there's a general idea that "The street never loses" which from my experience on the regulatory side is absolutely not true. Not only do they lose all the fuckin time but they need the handlers to put on the muzzles or they'll all go apeshit trying to eat year old spoiled steaks.

Nocoiner Regrets
Jan 22, 2021

by Cyrano4747

CODChimera posted:

i remember early bitcoin chat on here and everyone was like its a trap it's garbage don't invest, those bastards basically robbed me of my millions

Bored As gently caress posted:

If I think about how much money I could've made had I bought bitcoin when it was pennies a piece, back when the GBS thread about it came around 10ish or whatever years ago, I die inside. That, and not buying more Amazon, are in my top 5 biggest regrets.

Fallom posted:

i saw a goon last week mention how he just accidentally fell into half a million dollars from a small crypto investment like it wasn't even a thing

it really drives a lot of complicated feelings when you see that poo poo. why invest in retirement accounts only to get murdered by cancer or a drunk driver before I hit 65? might as well just gamble on whatever lovely internet fad i see

TCD posted:

Yup - my old boss bought 25k bitcoin when it was pennies.

He made some epically bad timing moves with it, but he at least recouped his investment and had some good cruises when that was still a thing.

God I wish I had bought some when he was telling us about it during lunch. I also wish I had convinced my dad to buy Amazon or had used some of my college job money to jump on it.
There's going to be a whole lot more of this in your future, goons, if you continue your futile resistance of the financial singularity that is Bitcoin. Capitulate now. Come, my children. Join me in eternal prosperity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZEJ4OJTgg8

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Nocoiner Regrets posted:

There's going to be a whole lot more of this in your future, goons, if you continue your futile resistance of the financial singularity that is Bitcoin. Capitulate now. Come, my children. Join me in eternal prosperity!

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

someone in BFC realized they had 437k in forgotten BTC 3 weeks ago and caused a drop from 31k - 28k when they withdrew it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Right there with you buddy. This was a huge crack/ping for me. It opened up a ton of fissures in my trust in our institutions and those aren't closing. I really doubt this is uncommon at all. They just torpedoed decades of naive institutional trust because they were too embarrass to admit there was a supply chain problem

Nocoiner Regrets
Jan 22, 2021

by Cyrano4747

quote:

someone in BFC realized they had 437k in forgotten BTC 3 weeks ago and caused a drop from 31k - 28k when they withdrew it
Citation needed. Correlation is not causation. Either way we're back up above 32k now. #HodlersNotAffected

Nocoiner Regrets has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Jan 22, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fauci was the sexiest man in America in 2020.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Nocoiner Regrets posted:

shitcoin

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

i'm no buttcoiner but that's bullshit. half a million usd is insignificant compared to the 90B daily trading volume and wouldn't register more than a blip. selling a million usd of buttcoins right now would move the price down by $40

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i will never not poo poo on a speculative virtual asset based on turning electricity into waste heat on a warming planet

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

thats not candy posted:

i'm no buttcoiner but that's bullshit. half a million usd is insignificant compared to the 90B daily trading volume and wouldn't register more than a blip. selling a million usd of buttcoins right now would move the price down by $40

Take it up with the OP, Conrad, I'm just here to laugh at late-stage capitalism.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
It's worth remembering/understanding that the mask/no mask thing was a direct extension of the decision to deliberately gently caress up the covid response. No one was dumb enough to think every epidemiologist was actually wrong about what would happen, they looked at that scenario and said "I can arbitrage the gently caress out of that disaster" and went full steam ahead with it.

We weren't told masks were ineffective or detrimental due to bad data. We were told that because to admit that meant that employers (and especially healthcare providers) would then be liable to provide them to employees as required PPE when they didn't have any to provide. That's why you had hospital administrators ripping masks off doctors and nurses that they had individually sourced and purchased.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Beached Whale posted:

I think there's a general idea that "The street never loses" which from my experience on the regulatory side is absolutely not true. Not only do they lose all the fuckin time but they need the handlers to put on the muzzles or they'll all go apeshit trying to eat year old spoiled steaks.

yeah institutional traders have trillions of powellbux (soon to be yellenbux) telling them risk is fake news so in the grand scheme of things they don't really lose because they'll always get bailed out. Country fulla vote-happy boomers whose retirement income is extremely reliant on index performance means the government designs the full breadth of fiscal policy around ensuring number always goes up. They absolutely get hosed on the reg in the short term though, it's just they're always made whole by the fed.

App platforms can just use their middleman advantage to surf on intraday meme poo poo and slurp profits out of every trade by just front-running it. The only time they lose money is when trading stops lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beached Whale posted:

the street never loses because when they do the fed cums money all over their face

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lmao my landlords number is no longer verified on Zelle and she hasn’t responded to text messages in a week. I’m sure not paying rent will make her finally respond about why her number suddenly isn’t verified.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

lmao my landlords number is no longer verified on Zelle and she hasn’t responded to text messages in a week. I’m sure not paying rent will make her finally respond about why her number suddenly isn’t verified.

that sounds like something pretty bad is about to happen

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Onyrica/status/1352574666020417539

Patreon is literally a money spigot but whoever is running just can't help loving with the thing to make it worse

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Covid collects another worthy soul, maybe?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

you're the landlord now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nocoiner Regrets posted:

What will eventually cause bitcoin to fail for good is when a serious terrorist attack gets funded by bitcoin. At that point the US govt will authorize the NSA and the DOE to combine their computing power to do a 51% attack against the ledger, destroying it, along with any confidence people have in bitcoin and crypto currencies in general.