Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

this made me think of Nick Cannon's new daughter Powerful Queen

Powerful Cannon is something an excitable six-year-old who loves pirates would name their gerbil.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I always liked the name Scheherazade. A bold choice, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is it pronounced like Krypton or Lipton?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

Is it pronounced like Krypton or Lipton?

Goddamnit

I was never going to be on Inside The Actors' Studio anyway, but now that he's dead, I'm doubly never going to be able to call him "JAMES LIP-TON"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

this made me think of Nick Cannon's new daughter Powerful Queen

You could have stopped at Nick Cannon

Is he married to Maxima Power

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Warren Harding's middle name was Gamaliel.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/mls/status/1352380067633123340?s=21

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That would be a helluva username.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
A person actually named Austin Powers.

I still can't get over it. I want to provide proof but I'm not sure if it's safe because the name is ungoogleable or unsafe because the number of real humans called that probably narrows it down to one for easy doxxing.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Was this Austin Powers born before or after 1997?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/columbuscrewsc/status/1352377588199657484?s=21

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

A person actually named Austin Powers.

He wasn't originally called that, but then he went into the Powers booth.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
My friend had a school teacher called Roland McPoland

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Just found out I work with a Mike Pepee

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Pronounced Pepé or Peepee?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Horst von Recum.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Ralph Hurley posted:

Was this Austin Powers born before or after 1997?

I'm honestly trying to determine this without revealing or crossing any boundaries. Will report back, but as they don't seem to be old this might be the same thing my boss had when he named his daughter Sophie only to find out so did half the other parents that year when she entered kindergarten.

If so I can't imagine the mindfuck of picking a weird name and then when they're a toddler his name is somehow the biggest comedy film that year.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've mentioned this itt before, but I know someone who gave their daughter the unpopular old lady name Elsa a couple of months before Frozen came out.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Lady Disdain posted:

I've mentioned this itt before, but I know someone who gave their daughter the unpopular old lady name Elsa a couple of months before Frozen came out.

There was a kid in my last school named Elsa AFTER the character from the movie. She was every bit as spoiled as you might imagine.

e: Now that I think of it, she spends a LOT of time locked in a palatially-appointed room, but it's more because the parents are rich do-nothings that only had children because it's expected of them than because of supernatural abilities. She doesn't have ice powers, but she can really lob a handful of sand.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
A distant relative named her kids Hermione and Ron... after the characters got together in the books.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Dr. Wolfgang Stuppy

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

I'm honestly trying to determine this without revealing or crossing any boundaries. Will report back, but as they don't seem to be old this might be the same thing my boss had when he named his daughter Sophie only to find out so did half the other parents that year when she entered kindergarten.

If so I can't imagine the mindfuck of picking a weird name and then when they're a toddler his name is somehow the biggest comedy film that year.

There is a Sheldon Cooper in these parts. A full decade older than BBT, but I'm sure he still gets lots of stares.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I knew a Ross Perot in high school (pronouned the same way as the failed politician). I remember we had an assembly and the guest speaker pulled him up for an audience participation part, and when she asked his full name, he refused to give it.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

There was a kid in my last school named Elsa AFTER the character from the movie. She was every bit as spoiled as you might imagine.

e: Now that I think of it, she spends a LOT of time locked in a palatially-appointed room, but it's more because the parents are rich do-nothings that only had children because it's expected of them than because of supernatural abilities. She doesn't have ice powers, but she can really lob a handful of sand.

My daughter's name is Anna, born a few months before Frozen came out, and for whatever stupid reason everyone seems to have forgotten the common American pronunciation of the name and wants to pronounce it like the movie, despite me constantly calling her Anna Banana and her now being old enough she's started correcting people on her own

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Muurling Maddux

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

TheKennedys posted:

My daughter's name is Anna, born a few months before Frozen came out, and for whatever stupid reason everyone seems to have forgotten the common American pronunciation of the name and wants to pronounce it like the movie, despite me constantly calling her Anna Banana and her now being old enough she's started correcting people on her own

There's other ways to pronounce Anna? I can't figure it out, but I've never seen Frozen, so I guess my brain hasn't been broken yet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PureRok posted:

There's other ways to pronounce Anna? I can't figure it out, but I've never seen Frozen, so I guess my brain hasn't been broken yet.

You can pronounce the first vowel sound as a short A or a long one.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I usually see one spelled Anna (Anne-uh) and one Ana (Aah-nah), but the second one is usually a Spanish name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

TheKennedys posted:

This confused the hell out of me, because I forgot how Americans pronounce Banana.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

HopperUK posted:

You can pronounce the first vowel sound as a short A or a long one.

"Long A" usually refers to the diphthong vowel sound in a word like "rain", which is neither "the ash vowel found in the usual American pronunciation of Anna" (sometimes called "short A") nor "the vowel used in the pronunciation of 'Anna' in Frozen, which is close or identical to the vowel in 'hot' in most dialects of English".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

dirby posted:

"Long A" usually refers to the diphthong vowel sound in a word like "rain", which is neither "the ash vowel found in the usual American pronunciation of Anna" (sometimes called "short A") nor "the vowel used in the pronunciation of 'Anna' in Frozen, which is close or identical to the vowel in 'hot' in most dialects of English".

Well I feel foolish.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyway who says long A and means the /ei/* diphthong should never be allowed to talk about phonetics or language in general ever again.

*) Think I'm gonna look for the correct symbols? gently caress you.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

dirby posted:

What the gently caress ?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Let me help you all:

Anna is either pronounced like a North American Anglophone person saying "banana," or how it is in Frozen, with an Ahhhhh sound at the beginning.

If you can't figure out the non-movie pronunciation, say "banner" without the B and R sounds and it should work phonetically for most regional varieties of English. (Kiwis are on their own, vowel-wise. Decks.)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

(Kiwis are on their own, vowel-wise. Decks.)

How dare you?! My frind Ehnna will hear of this!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

yeah nah

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

"The rivolution has begun!"

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Clinnyja

Only read it, no idea how it's pronounced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Sounds like an STD the way I try to pronounce it.